As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The TV Thread: Holiday 2010 has ALREADY begun!

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just 3 more days before my 3D kit arrives, it got delayed in shipping which pisses me off, but it's almost here. It's kinda like waiting for a new console to come out, because I have so many games to play with it.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yay!

I just got the buyoff on buying a new TV for Xmas.

I think I'll go for a 3D capable 60" plasma. Now to dig through this thread and find the best brand/model.

Anyone heard of any good black friday deals I can get? I'm excited!

SparserLogic on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yes.. YES.. YESSS! I am now in 3D. MUHAHAHAHA!

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • BluefootBluefoot Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hey dudes, just checking in. Got my LG last week and have been liking it a lot so far. I don't have much in the way of hi-def inputs yet, but even watching up-converted DVDs on the 'ol 360 is pretty sweet compared to what I had before.

Bluefoot on
    edited November 2010
    Man 3D is a pain in the ass on the 360 compared to the PS3. On the PS3 the system auto changes videosettings to adapt if you choose to play a 3D game. The 360 on the other hand needs to be changed to 720P before you play a 3D game manually in the 360 system settings, and then changed back when you are done playing the 3D game.. That's something that needs to be taken care of.

The_Spaniard on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yay!

I just got the buyoff on buying a new TV for Xmas.

I think I'll go for a 3D capable 60" plasma. Now to dig through this thread and find the best brand/model.

Anyone heard of any good black friday deals I can get? I'm excited!

I too am looking to find out what deals are available Friday - looking to upgrade my regular tiny tv finally (and get a PS3 perhaps!)

Anyone know where to start looking?

So It Goes on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    edited November 2010
    Radical, thanks

Sorry for not perusing through the thread, but if anyone could give input on LG vs Samsung LCD's I'd appreciate it

So It Goes on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Radical, thanks

Sorry for not perusing through the thread, but if anyone could give input on LG vs Samsung LCD's I'd appreciate it

LGs are pretty good. Samsungs are top of the line for LCDs but LGs are by no means bad televisions.

Reading the OP will give you a lot of perspective.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I put LG just behind Sony and Samsung but above Vizio. LG does most of the really crazy shit, though, like an LED TV that's a third of an inch thick.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
    edited November 2010
    Hmm Target is a block away and they have a 40" 1080p 60hz Westinghouse for 298, I think my boyfriend and I will camp out to get him at TV. We haven't had a TV in the bedroom since the last one crapped out.

The_Spaniard on
    edited November 2010
    Might want to read up on that Westy.

I had to deal with about 5 months of bullshit with Westinghouse because the 37" I bought for $500 had a known short circuit problem. Made for a great deal, since when they finally ran out of sending me broken 37" TV's (monitors, really, not TV's) they sent me a working 42" which just sweatened the deal more.

But you still might want to look into that model first and see if it also has known problems or anything.

Burtletoy on
    edited November 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »

I had to deal with about 5 months of bullshit with Westinghouse because the 37" I bought for $500 had a known short circuit problem. Made for a great deal, since when they finally ran out of sending me broken 37" TV's (monitors, really, not TV's) they sent me a working 42" which just sweatened the deal more.

But you still might want to look into that model first and see if it also has known problems or anything.

Under 300 bucks for 40" of 1080p is worth some trouble as long as the picture is good.

The_Spaniard on
    edited November 2010
    Yay people to talk to!

So far, for me, its being narrowed down to one of these tv deals:

Costco) Vizio 55" 1080p 120Hz LCD $1079.99 - $190 = $889.99

Amazon)

Panasonic TC-P65S2 65-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV $1,874.98

Panasonic TC-P58S2 58-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV $1,099.99

Samsung PN58C500 58-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV (Black) $1,199.99

Samsung PN58C550 58-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV (Black) $1,499.00

Toshiba 55UX600U 55-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED HDTV with Net TV (Black Gloss) $1,199.99

I'd LOVE to hear some thoughts on the ratio of quality/price in those tvs. I'm not sure there is any standout winner yet.

SparserLogic on
    edited November 2010

Under 300 bucks for 40" of 1080p is worth some trouble as long as the picture is good.

From the slickdeals.net thread on that TV deal
    Yes, you can buy this TV before black Friday and get it Price Adjusted from Fri Nov 26th to Sat Nov 27th and receive the Black Friday Sale Price of 298$. Go to the customer service desk and ask them to look up the DPCI: 008-09-0740 if they have it in stock ask them to bring one up for you. Just bring your receipt into ANY Target during the sale dates to get your adjustment.
    NOW: No matter WHAT your manager tells you (mine almost got into a fist fight with me) you can do this. I called corporate 4 different times and spoke to 4 different CS Agents The first 2 calls were to confirm the Price adjustment policy . and the second 2 were to make sure there are NO restocking Fees; on TV's opened or not(keep all packing material). make sure to keep your receipt!!!!!!!

Burtletoy on
    edited November 2010

From the slickdeals.net thread on that TV deal
    Yes, you can buy this TV before black Friday and get it Price Adjusted from Fri Nov 26th to Sat Nov 27th and receive the Black Friday Sale Price of 298$. Go to the customer service desk and ask them to look up the DPCI: 008-09-0740 if they have it in stock ask them to bring one up for you. Just bring your receipt into ANY Target during the sale dates to get your adjustment.
    NOW: No matter WHAT your manager tells you (mine almost got into a fist fight with me) you can do this. I called corporate 4 different times and spoke to 4 different CS Agents The first 2 calls were to confirm the Price adjustment policy . and the second 2 were to make sure there are NO restocking Fees; on TV's opened or not(keep all packing material). make sure to keep your receipt!!!!!!!

I'll go right now, but question, I'm looking at the Target website right now and I'm not finding the TV, did they take it off the site to keep people from ordering them all up before BF or does the site often times have different things from in the store and I can just find it going into the store?

The_Spaniard on
    edited November 2010
    They pulled it. Again, according to the SlickDeals thread on it.

They called/emailed the Target managers today and told them to not sell any of those TV's until BF, I guess.

You might still get lucky if Target isn't too long of a drive it might be worth checking now.

Burtletoy on
    edited November 2010
    edited November 2010
    They pulled it. Again, according to the SlickDeals thread on it.

They called/emailed the Target managers today and told them to not sell any of those TV's until BF, I guess.

You might still get lucky if Target isn't too long of a drive it might be worth checking now.

Can I do the same thing with their BF games? There is a game I want to get from them for BF, can I buy it and just bring in the receipt the day after tomorrow and get it price adjusted?

The_Spaniard on
    edited November 2010
    Again, just pulling all this from the slickdeals.net forum (which I keep repeating, cause you can totally read it yourself :P ) but I assume so. They have Target's price adjust/price match policy somewhere in the thread, iirc, and a few emails from different Target reps talking about it working that way.

Edit: "Realize that you will forfeit getting your $10 GC (on a purchase over $100) on BF. Personally I can overlook that by not having to get in line before 4am."

"For those of you trying to grab one of these before BF go to your Target store with the following info:

DPCI: 008-09-0740
    ASIN: B00402I6FU
    Catalog #: 12940735 "

Burtletoy on
    edited November 2010
    Well went to Target, they said they had 30 in stock but refused to sell me the TV even at full price. And then pointedly said, "Besides we are refusing any and all price adjustments on Black Friday items anyway."

The_Spaniard on
    edited November 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Radical, thanks

LGs are pretty good. Samsungs are top of the line for LCDs but LGs are by no means bad televisions.

Reading the OP will give you a lot of perspective.

Yeah I read it, just was curious if people had good/bad experiences to share. A couple friends have Samsung LCD's and they seem to be pretty great. I think I'm going to try to pick up a 37" or 40" Samsung if I can find one.

So It Goes on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    anyone have any around 400 buck TV deals they want to share? I would be mostly using it for xbox games.

any suggestions? Plasma? LCD? 720? 1080? Hertz?

all help appreciated.

Apparently how far I sit from the TV is relevant here people tell me, so I would say a good amount good 10 - 15 feet. Right now my TV is ancient CRT though, so anything is an improvement.

I was thinking of trying for this.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/home-theater/the-best-black-friday-2010-hdtv-deal-yet-298-panasonic-42-inch-1080p-plasma-at-buycom/4416

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    1) 10-15 feet is a huge variable
    2) Good luck getting that insane deal
    3) Amazon.com often has great Black Friday deals, but this year has been great for deals all November long
    4) Only buy Panasonic, Samsung, LG, Sony, and Vizio

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
    edited November 2010
    well, Ill just say 10 feet then. that sounds about right.

JebusUD on
    edited November 2010
    What's a better deal that Westinghouse for 298 or that Plasma?

The_Spaniard on
    edited November 2010
    I'd rather buy a smaller Panasonic, LG, Samsung, Sony, or Vizio for $300 than a larger Westinghouse. But then again, I'm a big fan of my TVs not looking like garbage or dying in a year.

Improvolone on
    edited November 2010
    I'd rather buy a smaller Panasonic, LG, Samsung, Sony, or Vizio for $300 than a larger Westinghouse. But then again, I'm a big fan of my TVs not looking like garbage or dying in a year.

Actually the Plasma is bigger than the Westinghouse, just I heard a few people poopooing it for being Plasma saying the Westinghouse would be a better choice. Didn't sound like they really knew what they were talking about.

The_Spaniard on
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd definitely be interested in that plasma. My mom wants to go see if we can get the Westinghouse for $299 though, although at least she's not interested in camping out or anything. She's currently using an old 27" tube. She recently got a 360 w/ Kinect for Dance Central and I was helping her find demos on live, but most game text is pretty much illegible from a distance on a standard def TV of that size. Hopefully it ends up being one of those crappy picture quality but decent reliability because she'll be amazed by pretty much anything picture wise.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ok, so I am debating between getting a new LG 42 inch LE 5400, which is about $830 from Amazon.

On the other hand, Newegg is about to put a LG 47 inch LH85 on sale for $600. It's an older 2009 model, but it seems like it would still be pretty good.

Thoughts?

Langly on
    edited November 2010
    Mother fuck, I was F5ing that Panasonic TV and between refreshes it sold out in less than 60 seconds. JESUS! D:

Thought I'd let people know, 60" DLP 3D ready TV for $595!
    http://www.electronics-expo.com/make-a-store/item/MITWD60638%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20/Mitsubishi/WD60638/1.html
    Type in BlackFri as the code to get the deal.

The_Spaniard on
    edited November 2010
    If its not an LED driven DLP, don't buy it. Replacing DLP lamps every year or so is a right expensive pain in the ass.

Improvolone on
    edited November 2010
    If its not an LED driven DLP, don't buy it. Replacing DLP lamps every year or so is a right expensive pain in the ass.

I've had the same brand just bigger for a year now and haven't had to replace a bulb, but I do have a 3 year warranty that covers them.

Oh and yay Black Friday.

I went and waited in line for my boyfriend so that he could get a nice TV. I must love him too much because I waited in line while he got to sleep and join me later. Anyway got into the store within a minute of it opening and the TVs were already gone, I'm half way to the TV section of the store and some fuckspill is already saying, "Hey I'll give you this for 200 above asking." Humanity can be real shit sometimes.

The_Spaniard on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

I've had the same brand just bigger for a year now and haven't had to replace a bulb, but I do have a 3 year warranty that covers them.

You will need to replace the bulb eventually.

Most likely a week after your warranty ends.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    edited November 2010
    so I bought this 42 in 1080 Tv for 300$

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XU7AQ6

It is some no name brand. How bad of a decision did I make?

edit: it might even be 120 hertz, claims the tags. not sure.

JebusUD on
    edited November 2010
    As long as it doesn't break, and being a no name brand who knows, it will probably be a decent second TV. It probably doesn't have the quality I'd want in a primary set.

Improvolone on
    edited November 2010
    As long as it doesn't break, and being a no name brand who knows, it will probably be a decent second TV. It probably doesn't have the quality I'd want in a primary set.

Considering all my sets right now are old CRT dinosaurs, it will be my primary. Anything is an upgrade at this point.

Only one of my TV's has AV jacks on it. But even that one has wood paneling on the side and the extra sheet of glass in front of it.

It's almost embarrassing.

JebusUD on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2010
    JebusUD wrote: »
    so I bought this 42 in 1080 Tv for 300$

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XU7AQ6

It is some no name brand. How bad of a decision did I make?

edit: it might even be 120 hertz, claims the tags. not sure.

Whatever the quality, you paid $300 for it. You can stick on the ceiling of your bathroom, and have a really awesome hot tub experience/death-trap.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This 40" Samsung seems to be a pretty nice price at $497.99. Anyone have any experience with this set? I'm replacing a 32" CRT hdtv that I don't want to move again, and I don't think that I need much more than 40". 46" would be nice, but I don't think that I really need that much screen for a small apartment living room, especially for the price.

The LG 47" that Langly posted is tempting, however.

Edit: Looks like the LG is sold out. Oh well! So any thoughts on the Sammy? Will I see more feature rich TV's for similar prices in the coming holiday season? Like I said, not too interested in getting much bigger than 40", unless it's a stupid price difference.

LavaKnight on
    edited November 2010
    Get the LG.
    Mmmmmm, 47''...

Improvolone on
This discussion has been closed.