As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The TV Thread: Holiday 2010 has ALREADY begun!

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Get the LG.
    Mmmmmm, 47''...

it sold out in 10 seconds. I had it in my cart and it slipped right through my fingers.

Langly on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That's weird, if its in your cart you should have had that unit reserved for you.

Well then, Samsungs are great TVs.
    Get the Samsung.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039JBXSM/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A2UA4Q9PFVJAKP

I just picked up this one for $750. I think 47 inches would have been to big, and I wanted a TV I would be happy with for a long time.

Langly on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Alright with Cyber Monday coming up, looking for 40-42" 1080p for 300 bucks for my boyfriend. There were a couple of stores doing it for Black Friday, but they sold out too quickly for us to get one, so if anybody sees one for CM post it.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's times like this I wish Olevia were still around. Fantastic TVs for being a no-name.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So, I'm noticing something very interesting. I got the Insignia 42" 720p plasma for my mom for just under $400. Anyways, I plugged my ps3 in through HDMI and was shocked when the PS3 said that it was showing in 1080p mode and the upper [strike]right[/strike] left corner said 1920x1080. It's definitely not clipping pixels since I can see everything in GT5.

I loaded up netflix and everything looks pretty phenomenal, if not a little oversaturated because that's how my mom seems to like it. It definitely says 720p in big letters on the box, so is this something that ever happens? Whether it's actually 1080 or not I'm thinking about picking up another one for me since they said they had about 40 of them in the back. They weren't actually on display at all which seemed really weird to me.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    edited November 2010
    Are you positive you're showing something that is natively 1080p? The TV will only show whatever it is being given, so its not going to turn a 720 feed into 1080.

Improvolone on
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Are you positive you're showing something that is natively 1080p? The TV will only show whatever it is being given, so its not going to turn a 720 feed into 1080.

I'm pretty sure what was actually happening was that it was telling me the res of the source, not what it was actually showing it in.

EDIT: So even though I had a 1080p source @ 60hz, it was showing it scaled down in 720.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    [QUOTE=Langly;17451484
    On the other hand, Newegg is about to put a LG 47 inch LH85 on sale for $600. It's an older 2009 model, but it seems like it would still be pretty good.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I have this exact tv. I paid $1000 for it on sale a year ago, and all my friends still come over and say "damn that's a nice picture" because it is an awesome tv, and for $600 you should be ashamed to not buy it.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    chasm wrote: »
    It's times like this I wish Olevia were still around. Fantastic TVs for being a no-name.

We still have our Olevia 537H and it is still going strong after four years but now it is our secondary television because we got ourselves a Samsung LN46C630 last week. We like it a lot so far. My husband has gone from hating the motion smoothing to sitting here right now watching Fringe with it on because he accidentally watched a couple of episodes with it on and then once he turned it back off he missed it. :D

Though apparently sitting right in front of it on our couch the picture is darker than if you sit a bit off center. Also, it isn't the fantastic jump in PQ I thought it would be going from an Olevia to a Samsung (but that may say more about our Olevia's PQ than it does about the Samsung's), but honestly I think it looks great.

Oh and apparently Dell is selling it for the after Thanksgiving sale for $897 plus you get a $150 gift card.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, my former Olevia 532H (sold it to a friend to get my current LG) still looks equal to Samsungs and Sonys in every area but overall brightness. And there's no contest when it comes to SD content...the Olevia's onboard upconversion still makes SD content look damned good as opposed to muddy. They were really underrated TVs.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    dude.

Motion smoothing.

at first I was like, this is dumb and makes things look dumb.

now that I'm used to it, I couldn't stand to turn it off.

Captain Vash on
  • JDcapoJDcapo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Should've gotten one if I knew it was going to be that cheap...

JDcapo on
  • EddEdd Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So, we currently have two distinct strains of LED TV, in the RGB LEDs and the edge-lit. Am I missing any other varieties?

That said, is a edge-lit LED even worth it? I understand that in dim viewing environments they can be pretty uneven. I'm not even sure how one shops for LED tvs right now.

Edd on
  • krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    According to most reviews, the top end (Samsung, Sony, top-model LG, and top-model Vizio) edge-lit LED TVs offer outstanding picture quality. If you purchase an LED TV and are concerned about picture quality, those are the four brands you want to stick to.

LED TVs are more commonly differentiated as Full-Array LED vs. Edge-Lit LED, based on the location of the LEDs. A RGB LED TV refers to the color of the LEDs that make up the LED array and therefore is not mutually exclusive with an Edge-lit LED. It is technically possible to have an Edge-lit LED TV that is illuminated using RGB LEDs. However, RGB LEDs are almost exclusively found in Full-Array LED TVs at present. That being said, even Full-Array RGB LED TVs are also pretty rare (found mostly in the upper end Sony Bravia and a few Sharp LED tvs) as most LED TVs still use "white" LEDs.

White LED TVs are good enough in most situations for the general customer because they are still capable of producing most of the colors found in common source content (usually complying to the color space specified by Rec.709 for HD images). Unless you are a graphic artist using your TV as a monitor for color print matching and need the extra color gamut, an RGB LED is generally overkill.

Here's a previous post with some links that better explain the differences in LED tvs.
    krapst78 wrote: »
    Shens wrote: »
    I have been reading up a little bit on LED. It would seem that matrix lit LEDs would give fantastic black levels, but most of the sets are just standard back lighting. Or did I read this wrong or read some horrible sources?

It's a little confusing to differentiate LED back-lit TVs into "standard" and "matrix-lit" as those terms can apply to the same TV. "Matrix-lit" refers to how the LEDs are arranged inside the TV. A matrix-lit LED TV will have the LED lights arranged in a matrix directly behind the LCD panel (also known as a full array or sometimes just simply 'back-lit'). Generally, when someone refers to a 'standard' LED TV, they usually refer to one without high end features such as 'local dimming'. It is rare, but possible to find a 'matrix-lit' TV without 'local dimming'.

A better way to categorize LED TVs is by the location of the LEDs. If the LEDs used to light the LCD panel are located on the side of the panel, then it is known as 'Edge-lit' LED TV. Otherwise, the LEDs will be located behind the LCD panel and it will be known as 'full array', 'matrix-lit', or just 'back-lit' (a misnomer because ALL LED TVs including edge-lit LED have their light shine through from behind the LCD panel).

Here's a link that explains the difference between the two types of LED setups
    http://www.presentationtek.com/2010/02/20/full-array-vs-edge-lit-led-lcd-comparison/

The improved black levels comes not from the LED lighting, but from a technology known as local dimming. LED back lighting made it easier for TV manufacturers to really take advantage of this technology. One thing to note is that edge-lit LED TVs haven't been able to take advantage of local dimming until very recently and you'll only find them on the newest upper range edge-lit TVs.

Here's a link that explains everything pretty well.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/2795-6482_7-399.html

The two LED TVs you listed are both Edge-lit without local dimming.
    If you are really concerned about black levels, a plasma screen is probably your best bet.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    dude.

Motion smoothing.

Are you talking about the 120hz shit? How can you actually enjoy that? It absolutely ruins movies.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Draper wrote: »
    dude.

Motion smoothing.

Are you talking about the 120hz shit? How can you actually enjoy that? It absolutely ruins movies.

dude.

it's like..

dude..

like you.

you don't even know dude.

Captain Vash on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My understanding is you get used to it, I'll probably leave it on if I ever get a tv with it. Once you do get acclimated to it though, does it look weird when you view sets with the motion smoothing disabled? Does it work with all content, or just hi-def stuff?

Mouse over.

Djeet on
    edited December 2010
    I do my best to avoid any standard definition content, from broadcast television because it all looks like poop.
    but dvds or lower res avi files look pretty darn good.

and no I switch back and forth between tvs at work and my set at home without trouble.

Captain Vash on
  • DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Why would you ever want to get used to it? It's like saying heroin seems really unappealing at first but once you acclimate to it you're hooked.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
    edited December 2010
    Why would you ever want to get used to it? It's like saying heroin seems really unappealing at first but once you acclimate to it you're hooked.

You're right, less information on the screen at once is worse and instead of watching tv at 60 or 120 fps, we should all watch it at juddery poop 24 fps, and while we're at it, since we hate making things have more visual information than they did before, let's toss out these high definition sets, we only need 480 lines of resolution anyways.

I'm also going to get rid of my iphone 4 and trade it's 960-by-640 display for a motorola RAZR, since that has the much better display size of 176×220. LESS IS MORE MIRIGHT?

Captain Vash on
    edited December 2010
    We got the top-of-the-line Vizio 3D XVTs (480Hz, full-array LEDs with local dimming) in at my store (we're one of a hundred stores in the country to get them...yeah, our sales numbers are ridiculous when you take into account there are 30k people in my town).

They're gorgeous even when you're watching the standard Walmart shitty feed.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I can see you feel strongly about the issue Draper, but I can only give my reasons for considering leaving the setting on.

Things change. Many moviehouses have digital projectors (where I live, the theatre where the serious film buffs go have all digital projectors), and I expect movies will eventually mostly be shot all digitally when the cameras get good/cheap enough, and once we get to that point there's no compelling reason to shoot at 24P except to have that particular look. Maybe not even for that reason, cause if you shoot at 120P I'd think you could drop 4 out of 5 frames and still probably get that look, though I'm not at all sure about that.

When I last saw it in action it nauseated me (Star Trek movie on some nice Samsungs and LG's) and looked a bit off. So I turned it off and it looked "normal" again. At the time I took that to mean the motion smoothing stuff was crap. However, upon reflection, the scene in question (quick paced scene on deck while the ship was under attack) was one where that kind of camera work probably should be a bit nauseating.

Djeet on
  • Shrieking EmuShrieking Emu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    From some skimming on this thread - Vizio actually isn't too good to be true?

I'm looking at a 42" or a 46" LCD. Our main TV use is for Apple TV/Netflix, casual 360/Wii playing, and possibly a Blu-Ray player down the line. Viewing distance ~6-7'.

Shrieking Emu on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    Its not going to compete with a top panel made by a top manufacturer, but its a great set for the price.

Improvolone on
  • Shrieking EmuShrieking Emu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It'd be good for my normal uses above (I edited my post), then? My wife and I aren't videophiles, we just want a good picture. This would be the only TV in the house (currently rocking a 20" Sony Trinitron CRT, baby!).

Shrieking Emu on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    You will be beyond thrilled with a Vizio.

Improvolone on
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just a heads up, hdguru.com seems to have temporarily abandoned news updates for a frequent online-sales update. If you don't mind ordering online some good deals are coming across on decent sets.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    *sigh* After missing deals on Black Friday, my boyfriend is dead set against getting a TV unless he can get 40-42" for around 3-400 bucks.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited December 2010
    He can, it just won't be very good.

Improvolone on
    edited December 2010

He says that the best sales will be after Christmas on TVs.

The_Spaniard on
    edited December 2010
    Best? Debatable. Good? Sure. Keep an eye on NewEgg for regular deals, make sure to sign up for their e-blasts to get e-mailed special deals. Also, Gizmodo once a week will pot "deals of the week" which often include a good pricecut on a TV or nine.

Improvolone on
    edited December 2010

He says that the best sales will be after Christmas on TVs.

In this market anyone who thinks they know when the "best" sale is has absolutely no idea what they're talking about. The past couple of years have seen sales pop up at the most random times imaginable. For example, in post-crash 2008 the best sales were actually before Christmas...afterwards was pretty mild. 2009 I didn't really see a huge significant difference either before OR after Christmas. This year, who knows? Right now, the smart move is to pick the TV (or at least the quality range of models) that you want, and when it drops snap it up.

If $400 42" is what you're looking for, it's gonna be garbage. And despite being garbage, sales like that usually evaporate right now anyways because people are desperate for cheap. Most of the black friday doorbusters were low-end TVs in that kind of price, for example.

Also, it bears mentioning that CES is coming up in January. This will have absolutely no bearing on available TVs as usually things shown at that expo aren't publicly available until early summer (or at the earliest LATE late spring), but it's always interesting to see where we're going. My money says we're going to continue to see manufacturers promote 3D because OLED isn't anywhere close to being ready yet.

Scrublet on

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

You're right, less information on the screen at once is worse and instead of watching tv at 60 or 120 fps, we should all watch it at juddery poop 24 fps, and while we're at it, since we hate making things have more visual information than they did before, let's toss out these high definition sets, we only need 480 lines of resolution anyways.

I'm also going to get rid of my iphone 4 and trade it's 960-by-640 display for a motorola RAZR, since that has the much better display size of 176×220. LESS IS MORE MIRIGHT?

You're sort of missing the point. You're watching it at 60fps but the content isn't at 60fps. The information ISN'T there. If the source material was 60fps or 120fps (which I think we should be moving towards by now, it baffles me we're still at 24fps) then yes I can see the benefits but as it is you're letting the tv create frames for you, and unlike, say, an emulator upscaling a game, it just doesn't have the information to do it very well.

That's why it looks so unnatural and that's why people complain about it. However it is a person preference, some people like the slightly weird, smooth unnatural look and as you say, you get used to it. I just prefer to see films as they were intended, not as my tv best guesses they should look.

Then again you really SHOULDN'T see judder with a decent tv that's capable of outputting a 24hz signal natively, with motion smooth switched off. Pans should be smooth anyway.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is there any reason not to buy this Panasonic tv? I read the bit about 2009 Panasonic models having issues. Has that been taken care of?

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    Is there any reason not to buy this Panasonic tv? I read the bit about 2009 Panasonic models having issues. Has that been taken care of?

I believe you're fine. The end of this review discusses this over a couple pages. The end of this review also notes that there doesn't seem to be a significant problem as compared to 2009. I'd buy with confidence.

The black level issue wasn't as much a thing at the S-level line anyways. More of a G-line issue.

Scrublet on

• EddEdd Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    From the "looks too good to be true" files.

I know we have given some praise in this thread to Vizio, but lacking in first-hand experience, I'm forced to look at this technology and question its quality relative to its rather reasonable price (Even if it is ostensibly "on sale").

At a glance, 42," 1080p, 10,000,0000:1 constrast, 240hz, LED backlit with 168 smart-dimming zones and useless web app support. This, at just over 1k.

Edd on
    edited December 2010
    Edd wrote: »
    From the "looks too good to be true" files.

I know we have given some praise in this thread to Vizio, but lacking in first-hand experience, I'm forced to look at this technology and question its quality relative to its rather reasonable price (Even if it is ostensibly "on sale").

At a glance, 42," 1080p, 10,000,0000:1 constrast, 240hz, LED backlit with 168 smart-dimming zones and useless web app support. This, at just over 1k.

Is it going to hit the black levels of the Samsung/Sony local dimming sets? No. Is it going to suffer a little more from the difficulties of local dimming in situations where black scenes have lots of points of light, such as a space movie? Probably. Is that contrast number as useless as all other contrast numbers such that it doesn't even bear consideration? Absolutely.

At the end of the day, my feelings on Vizio remain the same...80% of the quality at 60% of the price. I still have difficulty recommending them over the Panasonic plasmas (the S2 series is a fantastic TV and Best Buy has a 42" version for $650 right now). But if for some reason you are completely sold on LCDs that Vizio is a pretty good deal.

Scrublet on

edited December 2010
    The_Spaniard on
    edited December 2010
    Shiiiiiiiiiiit.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.