As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The TV Thread: Holiday 2010 has ALREADY begun!

• ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    chasm wrote: »
    Vizio's talked up the number of LEDs in their VXT line. But for the most part, you're exactly right. I can't lie, though...the LG Nano line has me intrigued.

Yea everything I've been discussing is based on 2010 TVs. I may be proven wrong this year, who knows. As far as LG, between their fast ascension up the ranks and their strong commitment to OLED above any other manufacturer, I'd say that is definitely the TV company to watch. I have a feeling they'll continue to challenge Sony/Samsung, even surpass them, and then catch everyone off-guard with first-to-market OLEDs.

Edit: this would be in contrast to another company that invested their time in marketing bullshit called Quattron...as if a fourth color was really needed to solve LCD problems. Fuck Sharp.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think I read somewhere that if you're planning on using your TV as a second monitor for your computer or laptop, then you might be better off with an LCD. Is this true? Does this go for movies streaming from your laptop?

I've heavily leaning towards a Plasma, due to the price advantage for large screens, but I'll mainly be using the TV as a second monitor and for video games. Anything to worry about there?

Also, why do they only seem to make Plasmas in 50" and 60"? LCDs seem to come in every size imaginable.

Talka on
    edited January 2011
    Talka wrote: »
    I think I read somewhere that if you're planning on using your TV as a second monitor for your computer or laptop, then you might be better off with an LCD. Is this true? Does this go for movies streaming from your laptop?

I've heavily leaning towards a Plasma, due to the price advantage for large screens, but I'll mainly be using the TV as a second monitor and for video games. Anything to worry about there?

Also, why do they only seem to make Plasmas in 50" and 60"? LCDs seem to come in every size imaginable.

? You'll find 42, 46, 54, 58, and 65" plasmas. And of course bigger ones though those get more exotic. If you're asking why they don't go SMALLER than that my guess is the advantages over the LCD aren't great enough at that size to justify the manufacturing. Are you using the TV for movies? If so then I doubt there's any new things to consider on plasma versus LCD. Are you using the TV for games? Same story...my desktop gaming computer is a plasma. For work/school/business? I'd have to go LCD. In that area, the extra brightness of the LCD is going to matter, and while I don't think burn-in is an issue on any normal kind of TV/gaming use I'm not sure if I'd push my luck on constant desktop use.

Scrublet on

• TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Scrublet wrote: »
    Talka wrote: »

? You'll find 42, 46, 54, 58, and 65" plasmas. And of course bigger ones though those get more exotic. If you're asking why they don't go SMALLER than that my guess is the advantages over the LCD aren't great enough at that size to justify the manufacturing. Are you using the TV for movies? If so then I doubt there's any new things to consider on plasma versus LCD. Are you using the TV for games? Same story...my desktop gaming computer is a plasma. For work/school/business? I'd have to go LCD. In that area, the extra brightness of the LCD is going to matter, and while I don't think burn-in is an issue on any normal kind of TV/gaming use I'm not sure if I'd push my luck on constant desktop use.

Cool, thanks. My TV is going to be 80% for playing movies, so I think plasma's still my best bet.

For the sizes, I'm just frustrated that the best deals I can find right now are for 50" and 60+" plasmas. I have a very particularly sized space I need to fill, and haven't been able to find a cheap 54" TV that fits my needs. I'll probably end up just getting a 50". The size isn't that different enough to warrant the price difference.

Talka on
    edited January 2011
    What kind of budget are you looking at? You may find a superbowl deal up your alley in the next couple of weeks.

Scrublet on

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So my roommate moved out to get a place with his girlfriend... and he left a big whole in my heart and my wall. Took his 1080p 46' LCD with him. I had just gotten used to that being there. I could possibly call up my parents and see if they still have my old '25 square box one but this seems like as good a time as any to upgrade.

So far I've just been checking newegg, tigerdirect, amazon and best buy online to watch prices and sales trying to figure out what to do and see where prices tend to average out.

I miss the 46' but based on the difference in price I was thinking more towards a 42' or maybe a 40'. I'll have to actually go to a store or find a tape measure to actually make those numbers make sense in my head to see the size difference though.

I don't know if anyone has any other suggestions on how to go about this search part of tv shopping.

initiatefailure on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So my roommate moved out to get a place with his girlfriend... and he left a big whole in my heart and my wall. Took his 1080p 46' LCD with him. I had just gotten used to that being there. I could possibly call up my parents and see if they still have my old '25 square box one but this seems like as good a time as any to upgrade.

So far I've just been checking newegg, tigerdirect, amazon and best buy online to watch prices and sales trying to figure out what to do and see where prices tend to average out.

I miss the 46' but based on the difference in price I was thinking more towards a 42' or maybe a 40'. I'll have to actually go to a store or find a tape measure to actually make those numbers make sense in my head to see the size difference though.

I don't know if anyone has any other suggestions on how to go about this search part of tv shopping.

Slickdeals.net and other deal sites like it are your friend.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=2592287

46" Samsung 1080p, don't know what year that model number is, since that is appearently really difficult to find.

Edit:
    Tigerdirect has the LN46C630 for 699.99 today AC.

Burtletoy on
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Never mind, found the manual online. I guess it is a redundant hookup, either or.

Anyone have a preference for which is better?

I'm going with the plugs for now cause I don't want to cut more wires.

Just caught this. If it's the Polk 10 inch unit I think the speaker pass through is for older recievers who don't have a line output for a sub.

Use the line out, for sure. You definitely want to leave the crossover work up to the reciever.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited January 2011
    http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/01/post_4.html

That link is a good read for anyone like me who hates the current 3D obsession and wishes it would go away.

Scrublet on

• ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well sure he says that, he's a sooooound guy.
    :eyeroll:

But seriously folks, 3D is a scam (maybe not the 3DS... we'll see).

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm loving my 3D tv, it's utterly amazing for gaming. All the sceptics I've shown it to have been mightily impressed.

Also I read that blog and it's an interesting read, I'd disagree with some parts though. Glasses do let less light through, but the film is artificially lightened to compensate so the effect is minor. Same goes for home 3d. As for the glasses making the image look smaller... how do people with normal glasses cope? They're the same except polarised.

I'm pretty much for 3D but I admit it's not without it's fault and I'm very much against all these post conversions doing the rounds.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I'm loving my 3D tv, it's utterly amazing for gaming. All the sceptics I've shown it to have been mightily impressed.

Also I read that blog and it's an interesting read, I'd disagree with some parts though. Glasses do let less light through, but the film is artificially lightened to compensate so the effect is minor. Same goes for home 3d. As for the glasses making the image look smaller... how do people with normal glasses cope? They're the same except polarised.

I'm pretty much for 3D but I admit it's not without it's fault and I'm very much against all these post conversions doing the rounds.

As for the glasses making the image 'look smaller', I find that hard to believe. My regular eyeglasses do no such thing, however I can't actually compare regular and 3D films myself, what with the fact that if I take my regular glasses off to put the 3D ones on, I can't see shit. And putting the 3D glasses over my regular glasses? Yeah, good luck with that.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wear thick plastic-rimmed glasses and the active 3D glasses that came with my Samsung TV fit comfortably over them.

Although I don't think the image looks 'smaller', I do tend to notice the border of the TV more often when watching a movie in 3D. It kind of gives you the perception of looking into a window. The weird thing is that this "looking out the window" feeling completely disappears when playing a game in 3D.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Scrublet wrote: »
    http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/01/post_4.html

That link is a good read for anyone like me who hates the current 3D obsession and wishes it would go away.

Why can't he just say he doesn't like it, it's not for him? There's no shame in that, and he's had an illustrious career I guess. Sounds like a case of newfangled etc. kids on my lawn.

I do agree that there's no point in everything being in 3D though, especially when it comes with a 'premium' price.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Uh, does this thread do British-specific stuff as well?

My mum missed out on a deal at Makro to pick up a 26" LCD TV from Makro for £180. She was hoping to get it for a party we're having on Sunday. Since then the absolute best deal I've tracked down is £200 for new, £175 for Refurbished or £250 for a 32" tv. Having told her this, she's leaning towards the 32". It's a Technika TV, Tesco's inhouse discount brand. Does anyone have any experience with a Technika TV and how (not) good it is before we consider buying it?

RMS Oceanic on
  • battledrillbattledrill Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Picking this baby up in an hour unless yall have objections. Foe blu rays and gaming. 599 at target www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref=aw_d_detail?pd=1&qid=1296332478&a=B003DPM55W&sr=8-1

battledrill on

It's not a Philips TV, for one. It's made by Funai.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
    edited January 2011
    It's not a Philips TV, for one. It's made by Funai.

Phew, so I went and they were all out. So maybe it's for the better? I'm in the 600 dollar range. Best bang I can get for my buck. Just for gaming and blu-rays. I'm hoping tomorrow morning the Sunday deals will treat me kindly.

battledrill on

In that range, Vizio is your best bet. I left Walmart so I'm not up on pricing, but I think the 42" 120Hz is around that price.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    Thanks a lot Chasm. I just get a certain weird vibe from VIZIO. Makes me feel like I've been wearing NIKE all of my life and now have to buy REEBOK. Not necessarily bad shoes, but not the NIKE type "brand" I'm accustomed to. But you're like the 3rd person thats recommended VIZIO to me.

The ads for tomorrow have the 47 inch 1080p, 120 hz at $679 I think I'll have to bite. Link (not updated yet for ad)

battledrill on

Looking for the best 32-inch 1080p television at around $400. Doesn't seem like I'll be getting a LED set at that price so LCD it is.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Unless you're going to be using it as a computer monitor with great frequency, 1080p at 32" is a waste.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Unless you're going to be using it as a computer monitor with great frequency, 1080p at 32" is a waste.

The deal is that 32" is the largest screen my parents can fit into their current entertainment center (Which currently houses a Tube TV) and I figure why not get 1080p to future-proof myself?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

The deal is that 32" is the largest screen my parents can fit into their current entertainment center (Which currently houses a Tube TV) and I figure why not get 1080p to future-proof myself?

Do your parents plan on sitting 2.5 feet away from the tv? If not, you can get away with 720p.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    edited January 2011

1080p isn't "future proofing" against anything, since at that size the 1080 isn't ever going to be utilized unless in the future we develop better eyeballs.

Look at the chart in the OP.

Burtletoy on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Burtletoy wrote: »

1080p isn't "future proofing" against anything, since at that size the 1080 isn't ever going to be utilized unless in the future we develop better eyeballs.

Look at the chart in the OP.

I don't trust that chart. At the viewing distance of my 32 inch LCD I shouldn't be able to tell the difference between 480p and 720p, but it is glaringly obvious to me. I can even tell the difference between 576p and 1080i.

So I guess it really depends on how sensitive to resolution your eyes are.

Check in the shop (yeah, I know, not calibrated, shitty lighting etc. etc.), have then pump a blu-ray through a 1080p set and watch it at both resolutions from the viewing distance you will be using at home.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The fact that you're telling him to check in a store puts everything you say under question. That is beyond awful advice.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
    edited January 2011
    (Crossposting from a thread I made in H/A)

These are what I'm leaning towards:

Panasonic TC-L32U22 32-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV -$383.50

VIZIO E320VP 32-Inch 720p LED LCD HDTV, Black -359.00

Samsung LN32C530 32-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LCD HDTV (Black) -$449.99

It's 1080p and the "better" Panasonic brand vs 720p and the "lesser" Vizio brand vs Samsung & the "most expensive" option.

Leaning towards the Panasonic but if someone has an opinion that would sway me either way I'm all ears.

On BR/DVD players, the lone DVD player in the house doesn't play DVDs in Progressive Scan, so I'll either have to get a new DVD player or spring for a inexpensive BR player.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited January 2011
    The fact that you're telling him to check in a store puts everything you say under question. That is beyond awful advice.

If he watches a disk on a set at one resolution, then watches the same disk on the same set at the same store on the same day at the other resolution, at the viewing distance he uses at home, then he should be able to check whether he notices a difference in resolution or not.

Notice I didn't make any claims as to colour level, contrast, gamma levels or whatever the fuck other bullshit you want to try to bring into this, just resolution.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited January 2011
    So I went to Target to get the Vizio and they let me know they had the Philips in the back. I could not ignore how good this LED Philips looked so I purchased it. Got my PS3, and HD CABLE on it and am so absolutely happy at the moment. for $599 1080 P, 120hz, LED with 5 HDMI inputs I think I got a good deal.

I think the main thing to ponder when purchasing a new set is Reviews and most importantly how good you think it looks. Some people still prefer Sony over Samsung which is crazy to me.

battledrill on

Well, just showed my mother the Samsung on Amazon and her response is "Well I found one cheaper..."

So I asked her what she wanted to spend, she said no more than $400, so I guess it's between the 1080p Panasonic and 720p LED Vizio...

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited February 2011
    Fuck it. Plans are off. My parents don't want to pay for high definition service and they're not interested in a Blu-Ray player so there's no point in them getting a new TV when it'll look the same as what they have now.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited February 2011

If you are still looking,

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-KDL46EX710-46-Inch-1080p/dp/B0040WJ91K/ref=sr_1_1?t=slicinc-20&tag=slicinc-20&s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1296790606&sr=1-1

Sony 46" for $900

Burtletoy on
  • lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Are there any clear cut winners in the 55" to 60" category? Was looking at 2 TVs (Sony KDL55NX810 and Samsung UN55C7000) in BB/hhgregg ads that my dad circled, both 3D TVs, and I don't see the point in paying a premium ($2,000 55" TV, $400 for a 3D BluRay Player, $150-$200 for 3D glasses. You do get 2 pairs free in the starter kit if you buy a Samsung 3D Player as well, so kind of I guess.)

Will be doing mostly TV/movies, with an HTPC hooked up to do more...TV/movies. I don't have a personal preference towards LCD or Plasma, whichever gives most bang for buck.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
    edited February 2011
    This is really for lordswing's post but anyone remotely interested in a TV should look at this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040Q93PI/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

That's the Panasonic 50" GT25, for $1000 and free shpping. That is an absolutely retarded price, and I can't recommend buying anything else at this point unless you want to spend 2000+ on their highest end model this year. (oh and lordswing that panny will do 3D too, if that's a concern)

Scrublet on

• lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I mentioned plasmas (before seeing your post, thanks!) were a better buy, but my dad has already been brainwashed to not buy plasmas (shorter lifespan, old/dying technology, are heavier/thicker relative to LCDs), so it's an uphill battle for me. I found this yesterday that I'll show him along with the GT25.

So besides being heavier, thicker, and consume more power, I would think being lots cheaper and better blacks is an easy sell. So is Amazon just moving those plasmas for the upcoming new TVs?

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you want that GT25 you can get it here for about $100 less.

Djeet on
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
  • krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That LG is great plasma, but the GT25 that Djeet linked will give you a slightly superior 2D picture and one of the best 3D pictures around for the same price. Unless you are saving a substantial amount of money, personally, I'd go with the Panasonic GT25.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
    edited February 2011
    This is complete speculation on my part as almost all the 2011 TVs have yet to hit market. But I strongly suspect that any extra quality on new sets this year is not going to beat the insane savings you can get picking up last year's clearances. Especially with respect to the GT25 and VT25 (though I doubt we'll see too many fire-sale discounts on the VT). So unless you're waiting for some specific online/integrated feature to filter down the lines this year, I would pull the trigger on any insane deal from last year in your price range, at least in the higher end sets. At least if best picture is the metric (I'm not ruling out LEDs becoming cheaper and better...I am skeptical that they will outpace either the VT25 or this year's offering)

Scrublet on

This discussion has been closed.