As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The TV Thread: Holiday 2010 has ALREADY begun!

1565758596062»

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Have you considered DLP?

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=2663523

A quick googleing says DLP's are fine in bright rooms.

Burtletoy on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Have you considered DLP?

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=2663523

A quick googleing says DLP's are fine in bright rooms.

Dayum. Cool. I never even thought of a DLP, and it looks like the 65" model of that TV is even cheaper. I can't help but feel like there has to be a catch here. Are these reliable?

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    1) It's 3D Ready, meaning you need to buy an adapter to actually get it to be 3d
    2) not paper thin
    3) Bulbs on DLP's have life spans, ~4000hours from what I can find on that set Edit: bulbs are ~$100
    4) probably some other things I don't know about.

Edit:
    The 73" Mits sets seem to get the most complaints. The 73" sets tend to have more bow/sag in the screen than the other models. I think they are the most popular size these days as well, hence more complaints. Mits should probably stiffen the screens on the 73" sets. The design construction on the 82" is more rigid. Having owned a 2008 Mits 73" for a few weeks I had time to compare it to the 2008 72" Samsung. The cabinet on the Sammy was very wiggly compared to the Mits, but the screen showed little or no bowing and the geometry is excellent. I woud hazzard a guess that a change in thickness of the screen would clear up the vast majority of geometry complaints on the 73" Mits sets. I have a 2006 56" Sammy DLP as well, it also has good geometry and works well with a PC.

Burtletoy on
  • jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    jimb213 wrote: »

Now you're right, as we move to 100% digital production & distribution, there's nothing stopping filmmakers from using different fps for shooting & playback (60p can actually look kinda cool), but it'll be an artistic choice to create a certain look and feel, and to get a certain response from the viewer, all of which is based on the years of precedent with movies at 24p and video at 60i.

And it'll suck if our TVs try to jack with that.

Well speak of the devil...

jimb213 on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Now you're right, as we move to 100% digital production & distribution, there's nothing stopping filmmakers from using different fps for shooting & playback (60p can actually look kinda cool), but it'll be an artistic choice to create a certain look and feel, and to get a certain response from the viewer, all of which is based on the years of precedent with movies at 24p and video at 60i.

And it'll suck if our TVs try to jack with that.

Well speak of the devil...

G. Lucas heard mumbling, "Yeah, well the next Star Wars film will be shot in 1138 fps, chomp on that!"

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Should I be concerned about buying a display set for a plasma?

My costco has a panasonic TC p50GT25 for $879, but its the display only; they're not stocking more. That's considerably cheaper than what they go for and it got pretty good reviews that I can find aside from a mention of problems displaying 24fps media, which I don't even know what means.

Physically the thing was in perfect condition but I am concerned about the length of time they have these things on and the settings at which they have them on. I wouldn't want to buy a set that was already burned through half of its shelf life.

There was also an Vizio 55in LCD for $999 that seemed like it had a really nice picture. It wasn't led lit or anything like that, which is why it was so cheap for the size.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited April 2011
    Should I be concerned about buying a display set for a plasma?

My costco has a panasonic TC p50GT25 for $879, but its the display only; they're not stocking more. That's considerably cheaper than what they go for and it got pretty good reviews that I can find aside from a mention of problems displaying 24fps media, which I don't even know what means.

Physically the thing was in perfect condition but I am concerned about the length of time they have these things on and the settings at which they have them on. I wouldn't want to buy a set that was already burned through half of its shelf life.

There was also an Vizio 55in LCD for $999 that seemed like it had a really nice picture. It wasn't led lit or anything like that, which is why it was so cheap for the size.

$880 is pretty much the going price for the TCP50GT25 for the past ~4 weeks online.

It was that price on amazon as recent as last friday, iirc.

Burtletoy on
    edited April 2011
    It's about $1600 on Amazon right now.

Froogle is showing me some online sites that I've never heard of having it in the Costco price range, new; they've got decent ratings I guess. Most elsewhere it seems to be $1000-1100 that I see; unless I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Anyone heard of Electronics-Expo.com?

Also, do plasmas have any danger of dead pixels like LCDs do? It's one of my biggest pet peeves.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited April 2011
    Oh, I know it isn't that price right now.

Just saying, if you keep your eyes open for a week or two, you will probably find a new one at that same price.

Ad by "keep your eyes open" I mean, visit SlickDeals.net or another bargin hunter website, of which there are numerous.

http://slickdeals.net/sdsearch.php?forumchoice%5B%5D=9&search=viera+50&mode=forum&showposts=0&sdsearch_archive=0&firstpost=1

Burtletoy on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My TV I bought last week dropped $100 - going back to Wally World tonight for a price adjustment. Loving it so far, but kind of miss how my Westinghouse let me label the inputs - made it much easier for someone visiting when HDMI1 was replaced with Cable. Also, it seems it won't let you remove the channel tuner from the list of inputs so you always see channel 3 when flipping from source to source which is annoying.

Question - my surround sound only has optical in - the tv only has the plug (coax I guess?) - so for now I only have my Blu Ray hooked up to the surround. Has anyone ever tried one of the converter boxes to know if they work well? I hate to spend the $$ to have some lag or something in the conversion process. Alternatively is there a way to hook up two optical sources to one optical in - then I could just plug Blu Ray and the cable box directly to the receiver with no need to go through the tv at all.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My TV I bought last week dropped $100 - going back to Wally World tonight for a price adjustment. Loving it so far, but kind of miss how my Westinghouse let me label the inputs - made it much easier for someone visiting when HDMI1 was replaced with Cable. Also, it seems it won't let you remove the channel tuner from the list of inputs so you always see channel 3 when flipping from source to source which is annoying.

Question - my surround sound only has optical in - the tv only has the plug (coax I guess?) - so for now I only have my Blu Ray hooked up to the surround. Has anyone ever tried one of the converter boxes to know if they work well? I hate to spend the $$ to have some lag or something in the conversion process. Alternatively is there a way to hook up two optical sources to one optical in - then I could just plug Blu Ray and the cable box directly to the receiver with no need to go through the tv at all.

You need to provide more information than that about what your components have for inputs/outputs. My hunch is that the TV has an INPUT but not an OUTPUT. If that's the case you're not running sound (at least surround sound) from your TV to your receiver.

Unfortunately I don't know of an easy way to put two opticals to one input. This is where these surround sound home theater in a box setups are extremely weak...input selection. Except for people like Onkyo who package them with near-complete receiver units.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cheapest way to share a toslink/spdif input would be a mechanical switch like this. There are powered devices that do the same that might have a remote or auto-select capability, but they'll run you quite a bit more.

Djeet on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The situation is basically this for plugs:

Surround sound is a Panasonic DVD home theater thing (not great, gets the job done): Has one input - toslink.
    Blu Ray is a Samsung - Has HDMI output to TV, toslink output currently going to the surround sound
    Cable Box - has HDMI output to TV, toslink output currently not in use
    TV - currently HDMI from Blu Ray & Cable, component from surround sound (to let me still use the iPod dock in the home theater thing...), has 1 unused coax digital output

My thoughts were the best thing would be to keep my current configuration but removing the Blu Ray from the toslink into the surround sound. Then, get a coax to toslink converter box and just hook the TV coax output into the surround sound's toslink input and end up with TV and Blu Ray in surround sound.

Would that work?

Otherwise I agree probably manual toslink switch box - auto won't work because I never shut off my cable box so it wouldn't know to auto flip to Blu Ray.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    To clarify, you plan to send audio from bluray and cablebox via HDMI to the tv and then have the tv output audio to receiver over digital co-ax?

While you may get audio that way I bet only a 2-channel signal will make it over the path you're trying. There's no compelling reason for a tv manufacturer to handle multichannel audio when it can only output 2-channel; maybe on a real high-end set, but unlikely even then IMO.

Djeet on
    edited April 2011
    It's about $1600 on Amazon right now.

Froogle is showing me some online sites that I've never heard of having it in the Costco price range, new; they've got decent ratings I guess. Most elsewhere it seems to be $1000-1100 that I see; unless I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Anyone heard of Electronics-Expo.com?

Also, do plasmas have any danger of dead pixels like LCDs do? It's one of my biggest pet peeves.

$880 new at CostCo (in store only) if you have one near you.

Burtletoy on
    edited April 2011
    Hmm...I can check again this weekend but it looked like they weren't planning on stocking anymore. I have two near me though so i might drive up to sandy and check out that one too.

$880 is awfully nice for that TV.

If they don't have any I was looking at this new LG on Amazon. It's a 50PZ550, it's a 2011 model and it's just a bit over $1000 via amazon which isn't bad. link

My only weariness with that Panasonic model is the comment on the cnet review mentioning problems with 24fps video. Can someone explain to me what that means?

The Dude With Herpes on

edited April 2011
    Hmm..I called and they said none of the ones in utah have that model.

Seemed a bit odd but meh.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited April 2011
    Ok.

I think I have what I'm going to be buying picked out. Anyone feel free to comment if you think whatever is a bad choice or not. It all comes to my $1500 price goal so it's all good.

TV: Panasonic VIERA TC-P50S30 $899.00
    Blu-Ray: Panasonic DMP-BDT210 $169.98
    Receiver: Onkyo HT-RC260 $314.10

And a few HDMI cables because I could use them. The total for it all is $1420.03 with free shipping. There's a fine wall mount at Costco for $90 that I'll get so my grand total will be $1510 but that's fine.

The TV seems like a great set and we don't care about 3D at all so that's not a big deal. And the price is nice. The Blu-Ray player is a 3D player which, again, don't care; but it has all the VIERA Cast stuff that the next (new) lower model doesn't have, including Wi-Fi so I figured I'd just get the nicer one even though we won't use the 3D. The Onkyo receiver was recommended to me. I don't need mind blowing sound as I live in a small condo and it won't be very loud anyway. It can't possibly be worse than my current ancient sony box; plus all the inputs are really what I'm interested in.

The only reason I'm not pulling the trigger right now on these things is I figured I'd wait till tomorrow to see next weeks sales at B&M stores so I didn't have to buy online; but unless something pops up I'll just be ordering them via Amazon.

Feel free to comment.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited April 2011
    Did you buy yet, dude with herpes?

Here are some 2011 model panny deals.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=2831897

And according to CNET
    According to Panasonic's press material, the only thing the ST30 is missing compared with the step-up GT30 is THX certification. Otherwise, both get the "short-throw phosphors" and "Infinite Black panel," which makes us believe that the two might share very similar picture quality.

Editor's Take: I'm really curious to see whether the ST30 and GT30 indeed offer basically identical black level performance. I am leery of the lack of THX, however, since color accuracy without it has long been a Panasonic Achilles heel.

Update Jan 7, 2010: I spoke with Panasonic's rep at the booth and found out a few more preliminary details about the new plasmas, including conformation that the ST30 an GT30 use the same panel, and so should exhibit very similar picture quality aside from THX. Check out the notes at the bottom of the VT30 writeup for more info.

Burtletoy on
    edited April 2011
    Yeah I already ordered it all. SHould be here in a week-ish.

Is the THX thing that big of a deal? The S30 seems to get good mention in reviews and on AVS so I figured I'd be safe. I'm not sure if the S and ST have the same panel though since one is 3D (I didn't get an ST, I got an S).

We'll see I suppose.

Honestly though, as long as it looks nice I'll probably be happy with it. I"m upgrading from a 10+ year old projection TV that has no digital/progressive scan anything so it'd have to be unimaginably bad for it not to be a billion times better than my current box.

I don't think there are any presets for my TV on avs forums, maybe I can use the same ones as the GT if they're the same set; I think those are up. I just don't have a calibration disc and I don't have the spare cash to have it done professionally.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Is the THX thing that big of a deal? The S30 seems to get good mention in reviews and on AVS so I figured I'd be safe. I'm not sure if the S and ST have the same panel though since one is 3D (I didn't get an ST, I got an S).

We'll see I suppose.

Honestly though, as long as it looks nice I'll probably be happy with it. I"m upgrading from a 10+ year old projection TV that has no digital/progressive scan anything so it'd have to be unimaginably bad for it not to be a billion times better than my current box.

I don't think there are any presets for my TV on avs forums, maybe I can use the same ones as the GT if they're the same set; I think those are up. I just don't have a calibration disc and I don't have the spare cash to have it done professionally.
    The THX thing has little to do with reality. Don't let it concern you.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
    edited April 2011
    Not exactly a TV question, but it's related to my new TV and it's gonna matter in a few days.

On the PS2 (not 3), what do you need to do to enable progressive scan mode? IIRC it can do 480p right? Is it just on by default if you're using component cables? I know it's gonna look like ass on this TV but I figure I might as well mitigate what I can if I want to play any old PS2/PS1 games.

EDIT: Ah, found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games_with_HD_support

Ugh, it would be nice if it could just be turned on in the system menu permanently . Oh wells.

EDIT EDIT: bloody hell there's a lto of games that don't have 480p. Many have widescreen though, so I guess that's cool. I was hoping FFX or XII would at least have progressive scan. Too bad.

The Dude With Herpes on

• ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Not exactly a TV question, but it's related to my new TV and it's gonna matter in a few days.

On the PS2 (not 3), what do you need to do to enable progressive scan mode? IIRC it can do 480p right? Is it just on by default if you're using component cables? I know it's gonna look like ass on this TV but I figure I might as well mitigate what I can if I want to play any old PS2/PS1 games.

EDIT: Ah, found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games_with_HD_support

Ugh, it would be nice if it could just be turned on in the system menu permanently . Oh wells.

EDIT EDIT: bloody hell there's a lto of games that don't have 480p. Many have widescreen though, so I guess that's cool. I was hoping FFX or XII would at least have progressive scan. Too bad.

I wouldn't feel too bad about that. It really doesn't look that much different. For example I play FFX on one of the PS3s that can do BC and the upconverting didn't make it look any better in my opinion.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
    edited April 2011
    Good Lord. Everything but the TV is here now. The TV is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow though so lets hope that goes well. Next time I make that big of a purchase I think maybe I'll spring a bit extra for shipping insetad of doing the free stuff. A week and a half is a killer wait for a new TV. I'm gonna be crazy pissed if there's something wrong with it. Amazon is pretty good though about getting new products to you asap in that situation though.

Aaaanyway, question. My Blu-Ray player came with a "free Avatar 3D" mail in thing and I was wondering if 3D copies of Blu-Ray also contain the normal, non-3D versions of the films. I will send in for it anyway, but I guess what I'm wondering is, if prices are equal, is there any reason to not buy the 3D version of a movie even if I don't have a 3D TV? You know, future proofing and all that?

EDIT: woo, tracking finally says my TV is in SLC. Should be tomorrow for sure. Its said Indiana for over a week.

EDIT EDIT: Son of a bitch. Fucking freight companies. I hate it when Amazon doesn't inform you how it's delivering something and you find out by getting a call setting up a delivery time...which is after when it is supposed to be here. Right now I guess I can expect to get the TV thursday. That's when they're saying they'll deliver it but I looked up some reviews for this shipper online and I'm not holding my breath. Saving some extra money wasn't worth waiting almost two weeks. I could have just got the exact same TV at Best Buy the same day and for the price I would have paid in shipping, broke even.

Bah. Live and learn I guess.

The Dude With Herpes on

• shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That stinks dude. I ordered my Panasonic GT30 last night and will have it by Friday. I cannot wait for it to arrive.

shadowane on
  • Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    37" Vizio for $320 on woot sellout today
    http://deals.woot.com/sellout

Great ggreat great price for a good set

Skoal Cat on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    shadowane wrote: »
    That stinks dude. I ordered my Panasonic GT30 last night and will have it by Friday. I cannot wait for it to arrive.

I ordered a GT25 on the 6th and it should be here when pigs fly.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Malkor wrote: »
    shadowane wrote: »

I ordered a GT25 on the 6th and it should be here when pigs fly.

Yeah I would have gotten the 25 but when I finally decided they were already out of stock, probably forever. I have Amazon Prime so that helped.

shadowane on
    edited April 2011
    I think my question was missed in my pile of bitching about the delivery of my TV :P
    Aaaanyway, question. My Blu-Ray player came with a "free Avatar 3D" mail in thing and I was wondering if 3D copies of Blu-Ray also contain the normal, non-3D versions of the films. I will send in for it anyway, but I guess what I'm wondering is, if prices are equal, is there any reason to not buy the 3D version of a movie even if I don't have a 3D TV? You know, future proofing and all that?

To clarify; I have a 3d Blu Ray player. I do not have a 3d tv. I supposed there is a chance that someday we'll get a 3D tv but for now, we don't care. However, if there isn't any extra charge and there's no loss of quality, and it works, I might as well just buy the 3d versions of movies; right? Is there any reason not to?

The Dude With Herpes on

• EddEdd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

So here's my concern.

To what degree should we care that the S has a native resolution of 900 while the ST is at 1080? What if any complications does this suggest?

Edd on
    edited April 2011
    Edd wrote: »

So here's my concern.

To what degree should we care that the S has a native resolution of 900 while the ST is at 1080? What if any complications does this suggest?

Based on the TV I got yesterday and hooked up, nothing as far as I can tell. Keep in mind that it isn't a native resolution of 900. The resolution is still 1080 meaning there are the full amount of vertical and horizontal lines that make up a 1920x1080 image, it's just that only 900 of those vertical are displayed in any particular frame. The set will use tricks to make it not noticeable to the visible eye though.

It wasn't a spec that that is widely advertised but it seems like for many plasmas even 900 is quite high. From what I can really tell, 600-800 seems to be the norm in plasmas. LCD's are typically even less than your average plasma. But again, many sets don't advertise this number unless it's very high or even matches the actual resolution.

It's an old thread but you can skim some info here at AVS forums.

Anyway, I've only had it for a day but the TC-P50S30 is great. But considering the condition of my old TV I probably would have been impressed with pretty much anything. I used the calibration settings for the ST since they should be pretty similar sets and I'm generally really impressed with the image. I wish the upscaling on my blu-ray player for DVD's was a little better but it's probably as good as it gets. I'm just gonna have to start doing the blu-ray thing.

But for the price, size, and image quality compared to other sets in the price/size range, I'm not sure there's a better TV out there. If you want a plasma and don't care about 3D, go for it.

The Dude With Herpes on

• FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is probably a dumb question, but if watching 24fps stuff on a 60Hz computer monitor doesn't bother me, it shouldn't bother me on a 60Hz TV, should it? I haven't owned a proper TV for years, but the girl who occasionally tolerates my presence is tired of crowding in front of the computer to watch stuff so I figured I'd get a cheapo TV.

Fats on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ok, my Samsung BD-C5500 is crapping out on me. I've decided to get my PS3 repaired (it stopped reading discs roughly a year ago, but until my job change, I couldn't realistically afford to get it fixed) instead of buying a new 3D-capable BluRay player. Bad move or good move?

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Depending on cost, I'd fix it. Video games are fun.

Skoal Cat on
    edited April 2011
    The PS3 is considered one of the best blu-ray players on the market last I saw.

If it cost less than, say, $200 to fix, it is probably better than buying a standalone.

Burtletoy on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    Locking this at 100 pages. PM me with a link to the new one and I'll give it a sticky.

Also, in the future, Blu-ray players and PS3 repairs aren't TVs and should be placed in their own thread.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.