• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    You know, I'm not a big fan of pork.

I think that makes me a vegan.
    How can you not like Pork? I mean you're an american.
    Meh. I mean, I'll eat it. And it's good if it's prepared really well. But I'd much rather eat beef, chicken, lamb, or fish.

^5

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Res wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Hahah <3
    Res wrote:
    The doctrine that disputes (especially between countries) should be settled without recourse to violence
    The active opposition to such violence, especially the refusal to take part in military action

Oh come on. Look right after the part you bolded.

Do you not understand what "especially" means? Or "except in cases where it is absolutely necessary to advance the cause of peace?"

What do you mean by this really? The wikipedia quote basically says that "Pacifists particularly refuse to take part in military action" as a method to oppose such violence.

Or do you have another definition of "especially"?

It doesn't mean "always."

nor does it mean "sometimes"

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Isn't especially a synonym of specifically? A narrowing down word?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Map?

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Especially doesn't suggest exclusion, specificially does, though it isn't ironclad.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    spicy lentil wrap is meh

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Especially doesn't suggest exclusion, specificially does, though it isn't ironclad.

Hmm I always thought of them as synonyms. Damn english.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Again I say... Map?

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    James wrote: »
    We just use abbreviations a lot because things often have long names we can't be bothered to type. Also a lot of it requires knowledge of context.

Every sort of hobby/sport/game/anything of enough complexity starts building up decent lingo.

Lord knows none of you people understand me when I start talking about paintball, about how I hit the temple off the break but then got pinched, I tried to live in my bunker for a little while, you know? But I needed to make something happen for my team, so I tried to wheel and deal but didn't check the streams so I got bounced in the shoulder and when I checked myself I got a marker hit and had to go to the dead box.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

How can you not like Pork? I mean you're an american.
    Meh. I mean, I'll eat it. And it's good if it's prepared really well. But I'd much rather eat beef, chicken, lamb, or fish.
    Is there a particular dish you don't like with pork? Oh man have you had Round Tables meatball pizza? It's as bad for you as that can sound but jesus its awesome.
    Nah, it's not as if I have some sort of driving hatred for it or something. I just think that other meats are tastier, and better for you.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Map?

Map

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    spicy lentil wrap is meh

Lentils have their place, but their place usually needs to be moist. Wraps in general need some work. They tend to be really dry unless you slather them in fatty sauces.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Map?

WHORE

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Again I say... Map?
    We're trying to pretend people from Florida don't post here. Stop asking, you're just embarrassing yourself.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/specifically

Ha if you follow specially from specifically, you get especially. Kevin Bacon rules apply.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    spicy lentil wrap is meh

Lentils have their place, but their place usually needs to be moist. Wraps in general need some work. They tend to be really dry unless you slather them in fatty sauces.

It has a tahini sauce. Which I guess is kinda fatty, but with good plant fats.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Nah, it's not as if I have some sort of driving hatred for it or something. I just think that other meats are tastier, and better for you.

Ok that makes more sense. I just like making some spicey itallian sausage dishes and I couldn't see any human throwing the hate down on those.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2009

In actual use, a lot of synonyms are imperfect* and have different strengths attached to them. Large vs. Huge, for example.

*I don't mean to suggest that "imperfect" is a grammatical term, I have a shitty grasp of the jargon

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    There are plenty of ways to act on your values without engaging in violence.

As an infantryman, what are you going to do to minimize violence or war?

Contribute towards the peacekeeping force that prevents power from being seized by a corrupt, murderous tyrant. That would be terrible since we just spilled a lot of blood and spent a lot of money overthrowing a corrupt, murderous tyrant.

I should also say, now, that I don't think we should have invaded Iraq. I'm a little pissed that we did it under false pretenses. While Saddam Hussein was not a stand-up guy, I think we probably could have dealt with him without invading his country and hanging him. But now that it's been done, I don't think we should waste all of the lives and resources we've spent on the effort. We should try to make something good of it. If we can successfully do it, installing a stable government that won't murder its own citizens or start completely needless wars by attacking its neighbors would be beyond good. It would be fantastic.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I hope this guy got some good shots of me at the tourney, he hasn't posted any shots from it up yet, but I was looking at his other works and he takes some pretty shots.
    493112054_UdP5J-L.jpg

I mean damn!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »

Hahah <3
    Res wrote:
    The doctrine that disputes (especially between countries) should be settled without recourse to violence
    The active opposition to such violence, especially the refusal to take part in military action

Oh come on. Look right after the part you bolded.

Do you not understand what "especially" means? Or "except in cases where it is absolutely necessary to advance the cause of peace?"

What do you mean by this really? The wikipedia quote basically says that "Pacifists particularly refuse to take part in military action" as a method to oppose such violence.

Or do you have another definition of "especially"?

It doesn't mean "always."

nor does it mean "sometimes"

Nor is it sensitive in any way to how many times a day someone choose to partake or refuse military action.

There's not a limit that says "refuse service 5 times out of 10 makes you a pacifist". It means that it is especially important. Which means that it's more important than other actions.

This definition you yourself linked says that you are required to take active opposition to violence, especially refuse to partake in military action.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    spicy lentil wrap is meh

It has a tahini sauce. Which I guess is kinda fatty, but with good plant fats.

Probably needs some cheese.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

In actual use, a lot of synonyms are imperfect* and have different strengths attached to them. Large vs. Huge, for example.

*I don't mean to suggest that "imperfect" is a grammatical term, I have a shitty grasp of the jargon

woo connotations

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Again I say... Map?
    We're trying to pretend people from Florida don't post here. Stop asking, you're just embarrassing yourself.

:cry:

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Leitner wrote: »
    Stuff.

People aren't saying what you're saying is wrong. Hell I think pacifism is mostly bullshit. In the same way you can't live as a communist. But calling yourself one is clearly wrong. Because you can't serve in the armed services and be a pacifist. By definition, that word does not mean what you think it means, etc.

My personal goal in life is to advance the cause of international peace. I want people to stop killing each other. That is what I am choosing to devote myself to. What would you call that? Wikipedia and wiktionary both say that it makes me a pacifist, but since you're the judge of what words mean please tell me what it makes me.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What's up jerks?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I have no idea how being a ground pounder in the army is going to help that goal Res, to be perfectly honest.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    My personal goal in life is to advance the cause of international peace. I want people to stop killing each other. That is what I am choosing to devote myself to. What would you call that? Wikipedia and wiktionary both say that it makes me a pacifist, but since you're the judge of what words mean please tell me what it makes me.

I would bash hella skulls to bring about an end of violence.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm sorry Res but tl;dr the definition you are using says you are required to refuse to take part in military action.

If you find a reliable definition that agrees with you that's another thing, but the one you're using explicitly says that you're not a pacifist.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    What's up jerks?

How did your hunt go for a elder southern lady edward?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Again I say... Map?

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Again I say... Map?

we are actively ignoring cinders as well.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I have no idea how being a ground pounder in the army is going to help that goal Res, to be perfectly honest.

Murderers and thugs are not going to stop murdering and thugging because we ask them to. I don't think ground pounding is necessary in most situations. But sometimes it is. See previous post when Bama asked me this question.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Again I say... Map?

we are actively ignoring cinders as well.

Who?

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If I kill all the farm animals in the country in order to prevent them from being abused, does that make me an animal rights activist?

Bama on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wait, pre-emtive military doctrine is pacifism?

Haphazard on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

I hate to do it, but I'm going to throw my hat in.

Res, you are going to be sent exactly where somebody else wants you, and you will shoot and kill exactly who you are told to. If we invade Mexico by the time you're deployed, you better believe you'll be down south of Texas shooting at Mexicans. If we invade North Korea, you'll be shooting North Koreans. Your ideals, no wonder how great they may be, will be taken exactly into account exactly zero times. You will be fighting and killing and people will try to kill you for the ideals of somebody so far up the chain that they don't even think of you as a person.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Murderers and thugs are not going to stop murdering and thugging because we ask them to. I don't think ground pounding is necessary in most situations. But sometimes it is. See previous post when Bama asked me this question.

So we just kill people who don't do what we ask?

Yeah, you are not a fucking pacifist, jesus fucking christ.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    If I kill all the farm animals in the country in order to prevent them from being abused, does that make me an animal rights activist?

Just makes you a member of Peta.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Wait, pre-emtive military doctrine is pacifism?

shhh

another child soldier has gotten ahold of a laptop.

its starting to get good.

Dunadan019 on
This discussion has been closed.