Options

2 of us 9 of [Chat]

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Variable is the Ted Hitler of music.

I'm the Ted Hitler of everything, because I'm Ted Hitler.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Do fuck with Bowie.

:winky:

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Elldren wrote: »
    That movie was awful.

D:D:D:D::x:x:x:x
    It was. It just... was. Look, I can't stand Pink Floyd either, I take crap for that too, I'm use to it.

Are you human?
    David Bowie dancing around with muppets does not make a good movie. A good acid trip maybe, but not a good movie.

It makes one of the best movies ever.

You're just jealous you aren't David Bowie,

I am. I want a killer voice, skinny hips, a beautiful face and control of the leading provider of costumed-aggression.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kage is a transplanted female under Taliban rule.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    WELL MAYBE YOU DON'T WANT TO COME TO AVENUE Q WITH ME AFTER ALL, WHAT WITH ME BEING SUCH A SHITTY PERSON AND EVERYTHING!

Someone will have to be there to explain the humor, sophistication and wit to you. I know it's hard for you to handle things more complex then "ball goes into hoop."

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    my first concert was mixfest 98
    that was in like 3rd-4th grade

that was a sick concert

Mine was Ozzfest 2001. It was also pretty fucking awesome.
    >.>

<.<

I've never been to a concert

Me either. I would have liked to have gone to one of the last NIN concerts but NO ONE IS GETTING BACK TO ME ON THAT AHEM AHEM VARIABLE.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009

that was a sick concert

I just caught this.

You went to Mixfest? Mixfest?! Shit man, even in '98 I knew Mixfest was a bunch of shit. Granted, I was 14. I went to the River Rave that year. You went to Mixfest.

Fag

A quick google search shows the headlining act was The Barenaked Ladies.

Double fag

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What has Justice and MGMT done to warrant being labeled as scam artists. It's an honest question, because I don't pay much attention to the artists themselves, I often only listen to the music.

MGMT are trust fund douches who moved to williamsburg and basically rode out the incestuous hipster scene their. They are pretty crappy musicians (who, as a pet peeve of mine, know absolutely NOTHING about programming synthesizers, which they nonetheless feature prominently in their songs). They had the producer from the Flamming Lips do their ablum, but they felt that the final product was too polished. So they had him LITERALLY lower the compression rate and bitcrush it down so that it sounded grainier and more lo-fi. They are fucking shills and I can't stand them. They also appeal to the hipster ideology which I find pretty much disgusting on every account -- it is basically an incorrigible bourgeois mentality that parades around under the guise of being its opposite.

Justice are just simply one trick ponies who are terrible musicians. They do not play their music live -- they do DJ sets. ALL of their synthesizers are presets from Reason softsynths which they do the same pumped compression and bitcrushed downsampling to. Every god damn song. All of their remixes sound the exact same. They also TOTALLY made a single ready song in D.A.N.C.E., which doesn't fit with any of their other harder French House sound. It's like they literally followed the KLF's advice -- spell something out, use kids voices, sample famous songs. They also sample the Brothers Johnson at LENGTH, and yet the brothers johnson receive no royalties whatsoever. They are lucky because Ed Banger records are some of the most ingenious marketers in the history of music.

So... yeah

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Going on stage to sing with Andrew W.K. was fantastic

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

that was a sick concert

I just caught this.

You went to Mixfest? Mixfest?! Shit man, even in '98 I knew Mixfest was a bunch of shit. Granted, I was 14. I went to the River Rave that year. You went to Mixfest.

Fag

Double fag
    Shut the hell up. Seriously, why are you even here?

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

that was a sick concert

I just caught this.

Fag

Double fag
    i was like 10 years old man

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Variable wrote: »
    I just don't know why anyone cares that much
    Condescension offends me, regardless of whether or not I should be giving a shit what [person] thinks about my opinions.

Especially uninformed condescension.

he's uninformed because he likes different things than you? aren't you being condescending right back?
    He's uninformed because he assumes he knows why I like certain things, when actually he doesn't know anything about why I like certain things. He assumes that I fall into [group of plebes] or whatever.

I'm not implying that he doesn't know things about the bands, because he clearly does. Certainly more than I do.

I don't even care that he doesn't like what I like. I care that he thinks that I'm some kind of moron for liking the things that I like.

alright that's the part I don't understand. not that you have to explain yourself, we just react differently to it I guess. perhaps because I don't give a shit about music almost at all.
    It's one of my buttons, I guess. Possibly because I care about music a great deal, but I get annoyed when he's this way about movies or books or food or whatever, so I think it's just a thing for me.

I mean, I'm not _J_, I can't sit here and pretend like nothing gets on my nerves and that I'm a completely rational being.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    What has Justice and MGMT done to warrant being labeled as scam artists. It's an honest question, because I don't pay much attention to the artists themselves, I often only listen to the music.

MGMT are trust fund douches who moved to williamsburg and basically rode out the incestuous hipster scene their. They are pretty crappy musicians (who, as a pet peeve of mine, know absolutely NOTHING about programming synthesizers, which they nonetheless feature prominently in their songs). They had the producer from the Flamming Lips do their ablum, but they felt that the final product was too polished. So they had him LITERALLY lower the compression rate and bitcrush it down so that it sounded grainier and more lo-fi. They are fucking shills and I can't stand them. They also appeal to the hipster ideology which I find pretty much disgusting on every account -- it is basically an incorrigible bourgeois mentality that parades around under the guise of being its opposite.

Justice are just simply one trick ponies who are terrible musicians. They do not play their music live -- they do DJ sets. ALL of their synthesizers are presets from Reason softsynths which they do the same pumped compression and bitcrushed downsampling to. Every god damn song. All of their remixes sound the exact same. They also TOTALLY made a single ready song in D.A.N.C.E., which doesn't fit with any of their other harder French House sound. It's like they literally followed the KLF's advice -- spell something out, use kids voices, sample famous songs. They also sample the Brothers Johnson at LENGTH, and yet the brothers johnson receive no royalties whatsoever. They are lucky because Ed Banger records are some of the most ingenious marketers in the history of music.

So... yeah

Well actually, without having any opposing input on this, I'd say your reasons are pretty solid. I still enjoy the music, although I can see why you'd have issues with the musicians.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009

that was a sick concert

I just caught this.

Fag

Double fag

Okay Shak, I'll let you live.

For now.

Seriously though, Hootie and the Blowfish were there. Booooo.
    Going on stage to sing with Andrew W.K. was fantastic

When did you do that?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mission Accomplished. I have obtained Season 3 Venture Brothers DVDs. Also picked up The Big Bang Theory while I was there.

nice, have you seen big bang theory? I think Speaker watched it to some extent but I don't know of anyone else who has.

Saw the first disc of season 1 via netflix so far. I was not expecting to like the show at all. But the Sheldon character sold me on it. Every episode on the first disc had me cracking up.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009

that was a sick concert

I just caught this.

Fag

Double fag

And you had better taste than that 14-year-old tard that hated BNL for some reason. Probably because they were popular or something equally stupid.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Proto wrote: »
    Listening to Bruce Springsteen makes me want to seal off my ears with cement.

TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT!!

I don't care who you are, Born to Run is a fantastic album.

To use for target practice, maybe.

I mean look at this asshole right now on TDS. He has dyed his hair, but let his sideburns go grey and he has a half dyed soul patch thing on chin. What an asshole.

oh, to be young again and also an idiot.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

that was a sick concert

>.>

<.<

Flogging Molly live is fucking awesome if you can see 'em.

Edit: This is assuming you're in a bar or a place with alcohol. Back in HS, my friend saw 'em, and after every song the entire band slammed a beer.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Speaking of music, I am going to teach a cute red-head how to play bass on thursday.

Last time I taught someone how to play bass it ended in both of us in her bed sans clothing.

So, :winky:

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My first concert was the Mozart Requiem

Elendil on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    if i understood compression rate and bitrush i would care but since i don't i will just listen to the pretty sounds

death of the author and all that

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Speaking of music, I am going to teach a cute red-head how to play bass on thursday.

Last time I taught someone how to play bass it ended in both of us in her bed sans clothing.

No one cares about your STDs.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Elendil wrote: »

Stravinsky for me.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    No one cares about your STDs.

B-b-b-but my collection!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    that makes sense VH. I got into that without really thinking that if I cared more I'd probably react similarly.

Variable on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Ah, I need to practice guitar again, thanks for reminding me! Got some music I wanna burn through. Go go Spring Vacation!

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

that is not what "death of the author" means at all

at all

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Uh it was when he came to play with Electric Six and another band at FSU

Was a fucking blast.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    who is ted hitler

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009

You are a whore.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

at all

Hey Poldy, if you were a pacifist would you join the military?

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    If I go into the judiciary, expect me to wear a big ass beard.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Elendil wrote: »

I went to loads of classic stuff when I was a kid because my uncle was in the NY Symphony and the NJSO and my cousins went to juliard and manhattan school of music.

as for actual concerts, I went to see Barenaked Ladies, Counting Crows/John Meyer, and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Variable on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Res wrote: »

You are a whore.
    actually he's a celibate.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

that was a sick concert

>.>

<.<

Me either. I would have liked to have gone to one of the last NIN concerts but NO ONE IS GETTING BACK TO ME ON THAT AHEM AHEM VARIABLE.

NIN is fucking great live. Go see them alone if you have to.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

at all
    whatever the phrase is then

separation of art and the artist

like warhol is a douche but i can still like his prints

and orson scott card is a twat but i still enjoy ender's game

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I just find the world terribly interesting, and try to learn as much about it as I can. I also like to understand things and why I like them so that I can do more things that I like and be more connected with the world. This results in having strong opinions. Most of the time, I have them but really could care less. But sometimes I think they are somewhat important.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If I go into the judiciary, expect me to wear a big ass beard.
    Just glue the curly wig to your chin.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Didn't Death of the Author inspire Derrida

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    as for actual concerts.
    :x

Elendil on
This discussion has been closed.