Res wrote: »
    You are a whore.

I've had sex with one person ever.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    who is ted hitler

back way before the colbert report stephen colbert did a bit on daily show where he slowly revealed that he was a descendant of Adolf Hitler named Ted Hitler. this was late 2004/early 2005

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Variable wrote: »
    that makes sense VH. I got into that without really thinking that if I cared more I'd probably react similarly.
    Well, like I said, it affects me when he's talking about stuff I don't give as much of a shit about too.

I think I'm just more annoyed by condescension than you are.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    as for actual concerts, I went to see Barenaked Ladies, Counting Crows/John Meyer, and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

>.>

<.<
    as for actual concerts, I went to see Barenaked Ladies, Counting Crows/John Mayer, and Red Hot Chili Peppers.
    I'm a music nerd, sorry!

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sarksus! NIN! I have to re read the PM thanks for the ahems, I forgot!

Variable on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Speaking of music, I am going to teach a cute red-head how to play bass on thursday.

Last time I taught someone how to play bass it ended in both of us in her bed sans clothing.

So, :winky:

You are a whore.
    actually he's a celibate.

That word doesn't mean what you think it means.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    as for actual concerts, I went to see Barenaked Ladies, Counting Crows/John Meyer, and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

>.>

<.<
    as for actual concerts, I went to see Barenaked Ladies, Counting Crows/John Mayer, and Red Hot Chili Peppers.
    I'm a music nerd, sorry!
    Well he is kind of a hot dog...

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Speaking of music, I am going to teach a cute red-head how to play bass on thursday.

Last time I taught someone how to play bass it ended in both of us in her bed sans clothing.

So, :winky:

You are a whore.
    actually he's a celibate.

That word doesn't mean what you think it means.

no, it totally does. I borrowed your dictionary.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Didn't Death of the Author inspire Derrida

I think Derrida mentions Death of the Author in Differance, but, I don't know if it inspired him necessarily, but I am no expert on the topic.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I don't think so. Barthes was more of a contemporary of Derrida - Death of the Author came out in like 68 I believe, loooooooong after Derrida was already established.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

All of the good seats are sold out. The terrace, which is uncovered, and the lawn are the only available sections left.

Since we're talking about this here, I'll take the opportunity to invite anyone here to join us who is willing to come to Holmdel, NJ and is interested in NIN.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Uh it was when he came to play with Electric Six and another band at FSU

Was a fucking blast.

Oh damn, he did the same thing at Warped Tour '04 at Gilette.

Though the best thing he ever did was rock on MTV while in a fucking wheelchair. That was hysterical and awesome at the same time.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Podly wrote: »

I don't think so. Barthes was more of a contemporary of Derrida - Death of the Author came out in like 68 I believe, loooooooong after Derrida was already established.

67, which I only know because I have the wiki page open for it. :mrgreen:

Edit: And Differance came out in 63...so...it couldn't have referenced Death of the Author, I must be getting things muddled up.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just find the world terribly interesting, and try to learn as much about it as I can. I also like to understand things and why I like them so that I can do more things that I like and be more connected with the world. This results in having strong opinions. Most of the time, I have them but really could care less. But sometimes I think they are somewhat important.
    I sincerely don't have a problem with you having strong opinions. Seriously. Especially since the opinions themselves seem to be well-informed.

But this sense that those of us who don't agree with you or who like certain bands/books/movies/whatever that you consider "unacceptable" are somehow lesser beings permeates almost all of your posts on these subjects. That's what really annoys me.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    thanks coke, woops.

Variable on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    So consider the following factors:

1.) I have $6k in student loans (a federally consolidated loan for which I meet the minimum every month)
    2.) I have $5.1k owed directly to my prior university from which I received no credits, which I am seriously delinquent on but which they don't send to collections I guess because they're a university.
    3.) I'm 21 and I don't make very much money
    4.) I live in PA
    5.) We're in a recession

Should I go to PSU? I feel like going to a larger school that allows me to take out loans for dorms (like Penn State) would be wise because a.) I'd be working towards a degree, b.) I'd have more free money to pay my active, interest-bearing debt with my old university, and c.) I'd be able to defer my federally consolidated loan while at PSU.

Thoughts?
    Unless you plan to lie on your application, you'll have to disclose that you attended the prior university, as well as provide transcripts. The new university most likely won't admit you, knowing you owe the prior one 5 grand.

Man, I hadn't even considered that. Shit.

Organichu on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Could have just been that Death and Difference were published the same year and I made some sort of chronology for them.

What the fuck difference was published in 63?

God damnit I'm slipping.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    thanks coke, woops.

Nah, I'm sorry. Certain things just bug me sometimes, is all.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    How does one become a judge? I never hear about anyone going to school to become a judge, do you need like, X years as a lawyer first or something?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just find the world terribly interesting, and try to learn as much about it as I can. I also like to understand things and why I like them so that I can do more things that I like and be more connected with the world. This results in having strong opinions. Most of the time, I have them but really could care less. But sometimes I think they are somewhat important.
    I sincerely don't have a problem with you having strong opinions. Seriously. Especially since the opinions themselves seem to be well-informed.

But this sense that those of us who don't agree with you or who like certain bands/books/movies/whatever that you consider "unacceptable" are somehow lesser beings permeates almost all of your posts on these subjects. That's what really annoys me.

Sorry it comes off that way. I'll keep that in mind. It's more just that in the fields that interest me I am pretty knowledgeable, and those fields tend to be ones were people aren't too informed but are nevertheless both interested in and unwilling to have their opinions challenged. Basically, people don't want their opinions on books and art challenged AT ALL, and they are begrudging to think their philosophies can be incoherent.

I honestly and sincerely hope that people call me out whenever I might be saying something that they have evidence to the contrary. Because I want to be better.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So consider the following factors:

1.) I have $6k in student loans (a federally consolidated loan for which I meet the minimum every month)
    2.) I have $5.1k owed directly to my prior university from which I received no credits, which I am seriously delinquent on but which they don't send to collections I guess because they're a university.
    3.) I'm 21 and I don't make very much money
    4.) I live in PA
    5.) We're in a recession

Should I go to PSU? I feel like going to a larger school that allows me to take out loans for dorms (like Penn State) would be wise because a.) I'd be working towards a degree, b.) I'd have more free money to pay my active, interest-bearing debt with my old university, and c.) I'd be able to defer my federally consolidated loan while at PSU.

Thoughts?
    Unless you plan to lie on your application, you'll have to disclose that you attended the prior university, as well as provide transcripts. The new university most likely won't admit you, knowing you owe the prior one 5 grand.

Man, I hadn't even considered that. Shit.
    Universities tend to be very willing to work out payment plans with you. It can't hurt to at least call and see if you can set up something you can afford. At least then you'd be current, and able to apply to new schools.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »

All of the good seats are sold out. The terrace, which is uncovered, and the lawn are the only available sections left.

Since we're talking about this here, I'll take the opportunity to invite anyone here to join us who is willing to come to Holmdel, NJ and is interested in NIN.
    that is really close by D:

But i am poor and I don't know NIN

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Become an attorney (law school) and some additional training (usually vis a vie clerkships etc).

I swear to God law is pushing out knowledge I used to have.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Become an attorney (law school) and some additional training (usually vis a vie clerkships etc).

Thanks.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Hakkekage wrote: »

I don't know them either but I'm going. Mike probably will too.

Variable on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ahahaha, there's going to be an honest-to-God secession candidate in the Texas governor's race.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    edited March 2009

what about Judge Dredd?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oi Podly, what are some music groups you would recommend instead of pointing out the flaws of the bands we like?

Cinders on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    that makes sense VH. I got into that without really thinking that if I cared more I'd probably react similarly.
    Well, like I said, it affects me when he's talking about stuff I don't give as much of a shit about too.

But man, the dude disapproves of "it makes me feel good" as a reason for liking things, and then goes down a list of the things he likes to do because they make him feel like he's superior to other people. How seriously can you really take anything such a person says?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Harrier wrote: »
    Ahahaha, there's going to be an honest-to-God secession candidate in the Texas governor's race.

there usually is some crazy that runs on that platform

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Am I the only one who notices the frequent use of a few bars of Springsteen's Thunder Road that they insert into 30 Rock?

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    edited March 2009

what about Judge Dredd?
    Law? LAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Cinders wrote: »
    Oi Podly, what are some music groups you would recommend instead of pointing out the flaws of the bands we like?

most of it

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Harrier wrote: »

Link please, I want to know if I need a visa if I want to see my Texas friends.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

what about Judge Dredd?

But... he IS the law...

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited March 2009

But man, the dude disapproves of "it makes me feel good" as a reason for liking things, and then goes down a list of the things he likes to do because they make him feel like he's superior to other people. How seriously can you really take anything such a person says?

it's bad enough to make up reasons someone likes something, it's far worse when they actually explain themselves.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Cinders wrote: »

most of it

I see.

Cinders on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Yeah we decided to do a New Jersey location because it would be the easiest for the greatest majority of people. The concert is in June, tickets cost between 39 and 59 dollars before any fees that they might decide to tack on. If you weren't listening to any other music at the time you could acquaint yourself pretty well to NIN before the concert.

We'll know more when Mike returns and I get a chance to talk to him about it.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Sorry it comes off that way. I'll keep that in mind. It's more just that in the fields that interest me I am pretty knowledgeable, and those fields tend to be ones were people aren't too informed but are nevertheless both interested in and unwilling to have their opinions challenged. Basically, people don't want their opinions on books and art challenged AT ALL, and they are begrudging to think their philosophies can be incoherent.

I honestly and sincerely hope that people call me out whenever I might be saying something that they have evidence to the contrary. Because I want to be better.
    :/

Opinions on books i understand if the book is not fiction or espousing some stupid arguments or whatever but

art?

art is completely subjective and essentially undefinable. Half of art itself, especially contemporary art, is between the work and the viewer. It's inherently incoherent.

are we gonna get in a tiffy cause i like rococo even though it's vapid and extravagant

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    honestly most music is pretty awesome, especially in context

I generally dislike generic 70's buttrock in all situations, but that's just me

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.