Options

2 of us 9 of [Chat]

• Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Bama wrote: »
    If I kill all the farm animals in the country in order to prevent them from being abused, does that make me an animal rights activist?

Just makes you a member of Peta.
    Hey-oh

Bama on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    I have no idea how being a ground pounder in the army is going to help that goal Res, to be perfectly honest.

Murderers and thugs are not going to stop murdering and thugging because we ask them to. I don't think ground pounding is necessary in most situations. But sometimes it is. See previous post when Bama asked me this question.

So we just kill people who don't do what we ask?

Yeah, you are not a fucking pacifist, jesus fucking christ.

I'm not even going to talk to you about this if you're going to put words in my mouth.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    japan wrote: »
    Gonmun wrote: »
    found a 1903 us nickel

I always find it a little odd handling coins that are older than I am.

You know, that statement could be used for so many things if you just took out the word "coins".

Particularly coins because of the number of pairs of hands they'll have passed through. Antiques and things that haven't been passed around don't have the same effect.

Well, some antiques. Or family heirlooms perhaps you could say that. Something that gets passed around the family quite a bit like a ring or something?

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have no idea how being a ground pounder in the army is going to help that goal Res, to be perfectly honest.

I hate to do it, but I'm going to throw my hat in.

Res, you are going to be sent exactly where somebody else wants you, and you will shoot and kill exactly who you are told to. If we invade Mexico by the time you're deployed, you better believe you'll be down south of Texas shooting at Mexicans. If we invade North Korea, you'll be shooting North Koreans. Your ideals, no wonder how great they may be, will be taken exactly into account exactly zero times. You will be fighting and killing and people will try to kill you for the ideals of somebody so far up the chain that they don't even think of you as a person.

i already said this twice, either he doesn't believe it or he is actively ignoring it.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What's up jerks?

How did your hunt go for a elder southern lady edward?

Failed miserably. I did at least find a lady who would buy me steamed dumplings from a local chinese joint. I guess that's a start.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If I kill all the farm animals in the country in order to prevent them from being abused, does that make me an animal rights activist?

Just makes you a member of Peta.
    Hey-oh

That felt good typing it out.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Leitner wrote: »
    Stuff.

People aren't saying what you're saying is wrong. Hell I think pacifism is mostly bullshit. In the same way you can't live as a communist. But calling yourself one is clearly wrong. Because you can't serve in the armed services and be a pacifist. By definition, that word does not mean what you think it means, etc.

My personal goal in life is to advance the cause of international peace. I want people to stop killing each other. That is what I am choosing to devote myself to. What would you call that?
    Being a decent person.

Bama on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Res look, when push comes to shove, what Yami says is exactly right.

You joining the army as a grunt will not do shit for making the world a more peaceful place.

You are just going to be a cog in a warmachine.

If you want to make the world are more peaceful place then you need to get into a position when you can actually have some sort of impact, and a grunt is not that position. At all.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What's up jerks?

Failed miserably. I did at least find a lady who would buy me steamed dumplings from a local chinese joint. I guess that's a start.

Hmmm time to hit up the bingo halls and church socials.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The only thing an infantryman gets to choose is whether or not to rape and murder people on the side when the people in charge aren't around.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Stuff.

People aren't saying what you're saying is wrong. Hell I think pacifism is mostly bullshit. In the same way you can't live as a communist. But calling yourself one is clearly wrong. Because you can't serve in the armed services and be a pacifist. By definition, that word does not mean what you think it means, etc.

My personal goal in life is to advance the cause of international peace. I want people to stop killing each other. That is what I am choosing to devote myself to. What would you call that?
    Being a decent person.

A decent person would use his death note to. . .nevermind.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009

Murderers and thugs are not going to stop murdering and thugging because we ask them to. I don't think ground pounding is necessary in most situations. But sometimes it is. See previous post when Bama asked me this question.

So we just kill people who don't do what we ask?

Yeah, you are not a fucking pacifist, jesus fucking christ.

I'm not even going to talk to you about this if you're going to put words in my mouth.

Did you check my clarification on the previous page (4)? I mean it's objectively true that the definition you're using (from wiki) says that you are not a pacifist. It actually says right there that you're not, so use another definition if you still want to claim that you are. And we're not deciding what words mean here like you claimed, just look them up and you'll see.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    The only thing an infantryman gets to choose is whether or not to rape and murder people on the side when the people in charge aren't around.
    Well if he chooses to abstain from that then he's clearly a pacifist.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    A decent person would use his death note to. . .nevermind.

Hahah, oh man, that was a glorious late night discussion.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I thought Res was going to be a Ranger?

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You could always join nato instead. Actually be a peace-keeper (well certainly more so then being a part of a single nations army).

Oh and pics or bullshit. When you get in.

Leitner on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i think i may smell rather strongly of pot in class right now

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    What's up jerks?

Hmmm time to hit up the bingo halls and church socials.

Yeah. Those church ladies really know how to make a man feel wanted.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Res look, when push comes to shove, what Yami says is exactly right.

You joining the army as a grunt will not do shit for making the world a more peaceful place.

You are just going to be a cog in a warmachine.

If you want to make the world are more peaceful place then you need to get into a position when you can actually have some sort of impact, and a grunt is not that position. At all.

And if we get involved in a war effort that I don't think advances the cause of peace I will be free to change my MOS to something less violent.

--

Bama, do you not see how identifying your values to other people by saying "I am a decent person" is not useful at all? Because to other people, being a decent person means sharing their values.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Again I say... Map?
    We're trying to pretend people from Florida don't post here. Stop asking, you're just embarrassing yourself.

:cry:

we are actively ignoring cinders as well.

Who?

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

His Wisdom score wasn't high enough, so he went with Fighter instead.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    And the whole concept of "promoting peace as an end" does not come in to this equation at all. It's the means that are important, the means being military action makes you a non pacifist by any definition. It's not valid in the meta sense you're referring to.

Honk on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I hope this guy got some good shots of me at the tourney, he hasn't posted any shots from it up yet, but I was looking at his other works and he takes some pretty shots.
    493112054_UdP5J-L.jpg

I mean damn!

That guy looks like he's holding his marker really awkwardly. Is that to steady his aim or something?

japan on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Don't worry, I'm sure none of the other students or teachers will recognize the odor

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You could always join nato instead. Actually be a peace-keeper (well certainly more so then being a part of a single nations army).

Or join the peace corp...

Or you know, do anything OTHER than become an infantryman would probably do more to help world peace.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Bye bye animal companion :cry:

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dolores del Rio was the first Mexican and Latin American movie star with international appeal and she made an extraordinary career in the 1920s and 1930s Hollywood (specially for a latin girl on those years).

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    And if we get involved in a war effort that I don't think advances the cause of peace I will be free to change my MOS to something less violent.

This is false

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Nobody wrote: »
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Again I say... Map?
    We're trying to pretend people from Florida don't post here. Stop asking, you're just embarrassing yourself.

we are actively ignoring cinders as well.

Who?

there is something wrong here.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I hope this guy got some good shots of me at the tourney, he hasn't posted any shots from it up yet, but I was looking at his other works and he takes some pretty shots.
    493112054_UdP5J-L.jpg

I mean damn!

That guy looks like he's holding his marker really awkwardly. Is that to steady his aim or something?

The right hand and where the tank is resting on his arm are what is keeping the gun steady, the left hand is really just there to pull the trigger. It's to keep as little exposed as possible while looking out of the left side of a bunker while prone, and to easily roll to the right to get back into cover. Because paint ball guns are so light and have no kick you end up holding them rather differently than actually guns.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Bama, do you not see how identifying your values to other people by saying "I am a decent person" is not useful at all? Because to other people, being a decent person means sharing their values.
    Do you not see, right fucking now, how identifying your (and I mean you specifically) values to other people by saying "I am a pacifist" is not useful at all?

Bama on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Don't worry, I'm sure none of the other students or teachers will recognize the odor

thank god

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Hey yo

Sorry Preacher, I had to do it.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Because paint ball guns are so light and have no kick you end up holding them rather differently than actually guns.

It must be hillarious seeing paint ballers using real guns for the first time.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A pacifist should probably avoid the military altogether.

You know. Since it's the military.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Or join the peace corp...

Or you know, do anything OTHER than become an infantryman would probably do more to help world peace.

Except that doing this will help qualify me for my greater goal of working in intelligence, where I supposedly will be able to work towards stopping wars before they actually start.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A pacifist should probably avoid the military altogether.

You know. Since it's the military.

No, Zen, because.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

thank god

In the UK, there is a particularly skanky brand of cigarettes ("Mayfair") that produces smoke that smells like the cheapest kind of hash.

It is the scourge of bouncers everywhere.

japan on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

This is what you're confused about. Right here you say that "I can be a pacifist if my violent actions promote peace", and it's objectively wrong. It's a fact that this right here disqualifies you from the pacifist club.

Any definition will tell you that, just google a bit and you will have to find out that what I'm saying is true.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Because paint ball guns are so light and have no kick you end up holding them rather differently than actually guns.

It must be hillarious seeing paint ballers using real guns for the first time.
    I would hope that very few of them think that actual firearms behave like paintball markers.

Bama on
This discussion has been closed.