As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Somewhat frequent momentary deafness

meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
This has been happening for at least a year, maybe more.

At least once a week, sometimes more, I will lose hearing in my left ear for about 5-10 seconds. I always notice it because suddenly I will hear ringing (like the kind when there are no other sounds) on my left and then realize that it's all I can hear from that ear. It's not sudden loss either, like slowly ramping up ringing and then it ramps back down.

It quickly subsides and then I continue on with whatever I'm doing. It's happened at all times of the day, while listening to things or even in silence.

It doesn't really impair me and it happens infrequently enough to where I have never seen a doctor about it. I know none of you are doctor's but have you ever heard of anything like this or know what it could be?

Thanks.

archer_sig-2.jpg
meatflower on

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    What you're describing (sudden hearing loss with tinnitus) could be caused by a wide variety of problems. It could be caused by medication, even over the counter medication or recreational drug use. It could be caused by high blood pressure, or inflammed muscles in the jaw, or an undiagnosed neurological disorder. In very rare cases, even food allergies. It's really a grab bag of possible causes. You're really going to have to see a doctor for this one, and I recommend not putting it off, because some of the possible causes for this are serious.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I've done some searching online before about and had thought for a while that what I had was what you have described.

But everything I read about sudden hearing loss implies it's more long term, while mine is temporary (very temporary).

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    That's been happening to me since I was a kid. I remember reading a story about it years ago that it was supposedly tied to some part of the brain sensing danger, and that it was actually possible to record the ringing sound with a microphone. No idea if it's true, though.

Still, if it's new for you then seeing a doctor is probably a good idea.

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/
  • Options
    OhioOhio Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This exact same thing has happened to me all my life as well. As you say, it's not that often and doesn't last that long. It's weird when it happens but it quickly passes and then I forget about.

Ohio on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    It happens to me all the time. I figure it's due to my tinntintintintintus from having ear infections and holes punched in my eardrum when i was a kid.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Same here.

Then again, I've had total ear reconstruction twice, a clestiotoma in my ear, and currently there's a tumor growing in right under it.

So...go see a doctor.

SniperGuy on