Options

Women and children first!

14567810»

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'd not heard hero defined that way before. Perhaps you and others differ in their definition of what a hero is.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'd not heard hero defined that way before. Perhaps you and others differ in their definition of what a hero is.

A man who jumps into a burning building unprotected to save a crying baby is a hero, a firefighter doing the same is doing his job. Its not hard to distinguish between the two and I'm constantly frustrated by people being hailed as heroes for things that are expected of them.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009

By the Oxford definition iron-workers who build skyscrapers are heroes. That doesn't seem to fit his usage.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh hey a debate over the existence of altruism. Here is something new and exciting.

Asiina on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If a firefighter leaves a baby in a burning building instead of risking his life, does he get fired?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If a firefighter leaves a baby in a burning building instead of risking his life, does he get fired?

I spent a few seconds trying to make a fire joke but then gave up.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SkyGheNe wrote: »

I spent a few seconds trying to make a fire joke but then gave up.

Thats because you suck.

ooo Burrrn!

i just want to fit in

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Derrick wrote: »
    So we've established that most people in this day and age are selfish cowards and that heroes are rare.

Who's surprised?
    So if I'm not actively sacrificing my life for a stranger I'm a selfish coward?

Quid on
  • Options
    freelancerbobfreelancerbob UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Heroism exists. It's not a myth. Cowardice and selfishness exist. They are sadly far more common.

freelancerbob on
    What is this thing that is happening here.
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Okay.

Liviu Librescu.

Don't know him? That's fine.

He's the professor at Virginia Tech who barricaded the doorway to the room with a desk, classroom furniture, and his own body, so that his students could open the windows and jump out.

Does he qualify for "hero" status?

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    Derrick wrote: »
    So we've established that most people in this day and age are selfish cowards and that heroes are rare.

Who's surprised?
    So if I'm not actively sacrificing my life for a stranger I'm a selfish coward?

This appears to be the consensus. If you're not ready and willing to give up your life for anyone you don't know, you're a coward.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, if only we could lazily throw in some liberty and justice to fill the ambiguous glittering generality quota for the day.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Okay.

Liviu Librescu.

He's the professor at Virginia Tech who barricaded the doorway to the room with a desk, classroom furniture, and his own body, so that his students could open the windows and jump out.

He deserves praise and respect, but not idealization or elevation above human status.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Okay.

Liviu Librescu.

Nope. The barricade also prevented the shooter from entering the room and ending the teachers life as well, so its really just self-preservation. Someone had to do it to increase the odds, and he was the one with knowhow and access to a heavy desk. Odds go up if he takes care of it as soon as he has the idea. It's only in subjective retrospect wherein other people granted him Hero status.

You can kill any Hero simply by choosing a specific perspective. One makes a choice as to whether or not they want to beleive.

(I vote Hero. Dream of how you want the world to be.)

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Okay.

Liviu Librescu.

He deserves praise and respect, but not idealization or elevation above human status.

Whew, good thing nobody is doing that.

Care to respond to anything actually IN the thread?

Asiina on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Asiina wrote: »
    Okay.

Liviu Librescu.

That's what hero-status is, functionally, so I just did.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Okay.

Liviu Librescu.

You missed the part about idealization, which is subjective. So really, if you don't believe in heroes, maybe they're not for you.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sarcastro wrote: »
    Okay.

Liviu Librescu.

Nope. The barricade also prevented the shooter from entering the room and ending the teachers life as well, so its really just self-preservation. Someone had to do it to increase the odds, and he was the one with knowhow and access to a heavy desk. Odds go up if he takes care of it as soon as he has the idea. It's only in subjective retrospect wherein other people granted him Hero status.

You can kill any Hero simply by choosing a specific perspective. One makes a choice as to whether or not they want to beleive.

You're wrong (though to be fair, so was Peregrine's recollection). I just read three separate articles saying that he barricaded the door with his own body, not the desk. Besides, if he was out for self-preservation, he would have jumped out the window first.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sarcastro wrote: »
    Okay.

Liviu Librescu.

If he'd just thrown a desk in front of it, sure, but I wouldn't really call barricading the door with your own body to be an act of self-preservation.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You're wrong (though to be fair, so was Peregrine's recollection). I just read three separate articles saying that he barricaded the door with his own body, not the desk. Besides, if he was out for self-preservation, he would have jumped out the window first.

Yeah, I just did some more digging. Some articles say he used a desk (they might be getting confused with other classrooms, I'm not sure) some just say "blocked the door" and some say that he was "leaning against the door holding it shut."

Either way, I don't think self-preservation was what was going through his mind at that moment.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, I don't want to minimize what he did, but isn't blocking the door so the guy can't get in and shoot you kind of self-preservation? I mean, every horror movie I've seen, the guy or girl block the door with their body, even though you know an axe or chainsaw is about to go right through that thing.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So ViolentChemistry, you don't believe in heroes. Do you, however, believe that people can do things that are heroic?

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Heartlash wrote: »
    So ViolentChemistry, you don't believe in heroes. Do you, however, believe that people can do things that are heroic?

They can, but the OP story isn't an instance of such.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Yeah, I just did some more digging. Some articles say he used a desk (they might be getting confused with other classrooms, I'm not sure) some just say "blocked the door" and some say that he was "leaning against the door holding it shut."

Either way, I don't think self-preservation was what was going through his mind at that moment.

For the record, neither do I. But who knows what his motivations really were? Maybe he panicked and just tried to keep buddy out, forgetting about thin doors and bullets. Maybe he had the interest of the kids in mind. In the end he's a hero because people choose to see him that way, but so are all other heroes, so that doesn't really matter.

It's a nice story, and I think its important to encourage the idealization of what went down to promote that kind of action. When heroes step forward and act for the greater good, the collective benefits. As part of that collective, I stand to gain from those actions. The hard part is following suit when the same is asked of me.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    Well, I don't want to minimize what he did, but isn't blocking the door so the guy can't get in and shoot you kind of self-preservation? I mean, every horror movie I've seen, the guy or girl block the door with their body, even though you know an axe or chainsaw is about to go right through that thing.
    In every horror movie I've seen, the idiocy of the victims borders on being a case against their desire for self-preservation.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Okay.

Liviu Librescu.

Because every time someone says "hero," they mean "a demigod in greek mythology," right?

Doc on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Doc wrote: »
    Okay.

Liviu Librescu.

Because every time someone says "hero," they mean "a demigod in greek mythology," right?

That's essentially the way most people seem to treat the notion, yeah.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Okay.

Liviu Librescu.

[CITATION NEEDED]

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Okay.

Liviu Librescu.

[CITATION NEEDED]

Check this place out.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Funny, because while hero worship happens, and occasionally the odd cult will elevate someone to the level of a deity, most people that get the "hero" label - such as the professor in question here - have a short period of praise, admiration, and respect. And then are forgotten.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I can't defend my claims so I'm going to [post] dismissive [links] instead and tell myself I'm the best.
    Oh, this is good fun!

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Funny, because while hero worship happens, and occasionally the odd cult will elevate someone to the level of a deity, most people that get the "hero" label - such as the professor in question here - have a short period of praise, admiration, and respect. And then are forgotten.

And then you have Patton.

Edit: And John McCain.

Edit 2: And who could forget the Bush-standee scene from Jesus Camp?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    VC I think your using this definition for hero:
    wikipedia wrote:
    A hero (from Greek ἥρως hērōs[1]), in Greek mythology and folklore, was originally a demigod[2], the offspring of a mortal and a deity,[3] their cult being one of the most distinctive features of ancient Greek religion.

While others are using the more modern definition:
    Later, hero (male) and heroine (female) came to refer to characters (fictional or historical) that, in the face of danger and adversity or from a position of weakness, display courage and the will for self sacrifice – that is, heroism – for some greater good, originally of martial courage or excellence but extended to more general moral excellence.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

But while they're getting praise, admiration and respect even posthumously in Patton's case, I don't see the people at large trying to claim that they were a god.

Do you?

(Edited because I'm sure there's some people out there who would say that Person X is a god. See above re: cults.)

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

But while they're getting praise, admiration and respect even posthumously in Patton's case, I don't see the people at large trying to claim that they were a god.

Do you?

(Edited because I'm sure there's some people out there who would say that Person X is a god. See above re: cults.)

Oh of course the weren't actually god, but they were certainly placed above human. There's plenty of room in between the two classes. The edit 2 one in particular is pretty damned creepy. There are so many other words to describe people who do great things, when people go ahead and push passed those all the way to the one that originates with people who were in fact half-god by birth it throws red flags.

ViolentChemistry on