As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Want IPod to sync to external hardrive

LacroixLacroix Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
short version before I go out:

My laptop = 32GB, running low. External = 120GB. I have succesfully ported all my songs album by album onto my E:/ drive and have copied my Ipod/Itunes files too. But, when I delete something from Itunes on the C:/ drive, it is gone on E:/ drive itunes too (the songs are still on E:/ but gone from Itunes). I want my Itunes to register the songs on drive E:/, not C:/ and want my pod to sync to this drive.

Can it be done/ what should I do?

Lacroix on

• Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hm. I'm not sure if I know how your problem came about, but I was doing the same thing until I got a 500g hd for my PC.

I copied all the songs from my HDD to my External. Just straight copy+paste.

I then made sure to make my itunes folder be the external drive and to make sure i updated the library so that it would only register from the external. I deleted my current library and made my itunes search for music on my external. It input all the songs. I ended up losing all my ratings and what not, but that wasn't important to me.

It works flawlessly for me (Except sometimes when I delete a song from my libraryANdharddrive it doesn't delete from harddrive). My only thing is that since I still have itunes installed on my HDD, if I plug in my ipod and try to sync without my external on it will reset the default library folder.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LacroixLacroix Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    what exactly do you mean by "I then made sure to make my itunes folder be the external drive and to make sure i updated the library so that it would only register from the external" and "and made my itunes search for music on my external" - how did you achieve this? Deleting Itunes from C:/? How did you make your itunes folder be the external drive, just click send to E:/?

Lacroix on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    you have to change the setting in iTunes to point to the external drive. by default, iTunes looks for music in the user's music folder.

Basically go into iTunes preferences, and change the iTunes folder location.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    this is a lot easier if you just use winamp to sync to be honest... it's what i use and i have music in a ton of different places

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wunderbar beat me to the punch, by a good margin. Yeah, just "Edit>preferences>advanced" and change your itunes folder to your external.

If you attempt to sync while your external is not turned on? It will reset the folder to be your computers default itunes folder. usually like c:/itunes/itunes music or whatever. So if you have to charge using your laptop I would probably turn off auto-sync on your ipod.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png