As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If the draft ever got reinstated, should women be included?

Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
While doing some International law work, i came across a book which goes into some heavy detail on womens involvement in warfare and how its developed over the past century.

While perusing i came across this little discussion topic in one of the final chapters and thought id pose the question to you fine gentelmen, and ladies.

Of course the best place to start is the beacon of the uninformed yahoo answers
"Women should NOT be drafted for the following reasons:

1) If all adults are on the battlefield, no one is minding the children or the homeland.

2) Men would become overly protective of the women, especially if a relationship begins, and be distracted from tasks at hand.

3) If bunked together the men and women would be prone to sex. This would, undoubtedly, lead to unwanted pregnancies and coat-hanger abortions.

4) Funding would increase dramatically.

5) If a man is captured he is prone to physical abuse and death. If a woman is captured she is prone to physical abuse, death, and rape, (even gang rapes).

6) One man can impregnate many women, but one women can only be impregnated once at a time. A diminishing of women would mean a diminishing of population.

7) Men can go months without sickness, but women are guaranteed to be ill, at least, once a month. The higher percentage of women in the force, the less reliable the health of the force is.

Many nations have, at one time, allowed women in combat. All but Israel have banned this for the listed reasons and more."

Well im sold, clear, concise and not a hint of sarcasm to be found, but just so we round out the argument i would like to hear some of your beliefs

D&D enlighten...

(My personal belief is yes they should be drafted)

League of Legends - Enzo III
Zombie Monkey on

• Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    1) all adults are never on the battlefield
    2) ah, the "men are morons" idea. Solid logic, there.
    3) ah, the "everyone's a moron" idea, coupled with "birth control doesn't exist and neither do doctors". roffles!
    4) funding of what now?
    5) If you think men in captivity don't get sexually abused you are hopelessly naive.
    6) Ah, the "humans are cattle" argument. lovely.
    7) Man what?

Did ege write that list?

And yes, drafts should encompass all adults fit to serve.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The Cat wrote: »
    1) all adults are never on the battlefield
    2) ah, the "men are morons" idea. Solid logic, there.
    3) ah, the "everyone's a moron" idea, coupled with "birth control doesn't exist and neither do doctors". roffles!
    4) funding of what now?
    5) If you think men in captivity don't get sexually abused you are hopelessly naive.
    6) Ah, the "humans are cattle" argument. lovely.
    7) Man what?

Did ege write that list?

And yes, drafts should encompass all adults fit to serve.

gotta give the man props for counting to 7

Zombie Monkey on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    bet he only had to use one hand, too

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Equal rights would mean the draft applied to all people in the age range, irrespective of gender and race. At least that's what one would assume.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Number three is the only semi-legit reason why females shouldn't be drafted, and by itself is a complete shit reason (believe me, any time females and males are together in the military a whole bunch of needless drama goes down)
    Anyways, yes women should be drafted
    Also, the military should change their goddamn APFT standards to make them the same for women as for men and allow females to be in combat MOSes

Rent on
  • Options
    freelancerbobfreelancerbob UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If a country NEEDS the draft, there's something wrong with it. That said, I ain't got a huge problem with the draft in principle. Public service for all is a good thing. All means all, so a draft should include women. Whether women should FIGHT on the other hand...well. Not something I'll get into. Not sure I really have an opinion on it, though I lean towards saying: yes they can, if they want to and are integrated correctly.

freelancerbob on
    What is this thing that is happening here.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Rent wrote: »
    Number three is the only semi-legit reason why females shouldn't be drafted, and by itself is a complete shit reason (believe me, any time females and males are together in the military a whole bunch of needless drama goes down)
    Also, the military should change their goddamn APFT standards to make them the same for women as for men and allow females to be in combat MOSes

?

Zombie Monkey on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Military seems just fine right now with those dastardly women in it.

As for #2, the men become overly protective of each other because of the brother-like bond that usually develops anyways.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2009

So, just like every other sphere of life, then?

Well, wait, no, I manage to get through my non-gender segregated life with a minimum of drama, even when living and working in close quarters with *gasp* boys! so I'm going to go right ahead and suggest that if what you say is true, then the bar is set way too low for acceptable behaviour in the military.

No kidding. That double standard is what creates 90% of the drama surrounding this issue as it applies to the US (other armies don't pull that nonsense, with the fitness standards at least).

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Girls have cooties. That's the reason.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2009

?
    To be in the military you must periodically pass a fitness test
    For the Army it's the APFT, or Army Physical Fitness Test
    You're tested on three areas: how many push-ups you can do in two minutes, how many sit-ups in two minutes, and how fast you can run two miles
    The determinate for minimum to pass the APFT is based on two main factors: gender and age (you must pass all three portions to pass the APFT)
    For instance, I'm an 18-year old male (highest combination of standards) and I must do 42 push-ups, 53 sit-ups, and a 15:54 2 mile run. For an 18-year old female it's 19 push-ups, 53 sit-ups, and 18:54 two mile times. That's fucking laughable, if you can't do 19 sit-ups in a row you're fucking useless and shouldn't be in the military, and 18:54 two mile is fucking...it's walking
    This extrapolation of lowered standards for our fitness tests extrapolates to how females are treated at PT. Not much is expected of a female at PT so they take advantage by shamming or not going
    To be fair, there are just as many males who cheat the system via profiles/not giving a shit but raising standards for females could help the problem

MOS is your Military Occupational Speciality, or job
    Females aren't allowed to have any combat MOS's. At all. No infantry, artillery, special forces, etc. Just can't be those jobs (the Army is using the excuse that females aren't as physically capable as males, which is kind of bullshit. Making our APFT equivocable does a lot to prove that belief wrong)

Rent on
  • Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

To be fair, any needless male-female drama would probably just replace some of the needless male-male drama that tends to get started.

Personally, as someone who has spent time in an armed force that drafts men but allows females to join, I found that the presence of female personnel was benefitial to both unit moral and as a way to help shortcircuit the feedback loop of stupid that has a way of manifesting itself when you throw twenty 18-20 year old guys together.

Numi on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

?
    To be in the military you must periodically pass a fitness test
    For the Army it's the APFT, or Army Physical Fitness Test
    You're tested on three areas: how many push-ups you can do in two minutes, how many sit-ups in two minutes, and how fast you can run two miles
    The determinate for minimum to pass the APFT is based on two main factors: gender and age (you must pass all three portions to pass the APFT)
    For instance, I'm an 18-year old male (highest combination of standards) and I must do 42 push-ups, 53 sit-ups, and a 15:54 2 mile run. For an 18-year old female it's 19 push-ups, 53 sit-ups, and 18:54 two mile times. That's fucking laughable, if you can't do 19 sit-ups in a row you're fucking useless and shouldn't be in the military, and 18:54 two mile is fucking...it's walking
    This extrapolation of lowered standards for our fitness tests extrapolates to how females are treated at PT. Not much is expected of a female at PT so they take advantage by shamming or not going
    To be fair, there are just as many males who cheat the system via profiles/not giving a shit but raising standards for females could help the problem

MOS is your Military Occupational Speciality, or job
    Females aren't allowed to have any combat MOS's. At all. No infantry, artillery, special forces, etc. Just can't be those jobs (the Army is using the excuse that females aren't as physically capable as males, which is kind of bullshit. Making our APFT equivocable does a lot to prove that belief wrong)

well thats a bit shit, should be more like Israel, hardcore female recruits

Zombie Monkey on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

So, just like every other sphere of life, then?

Well, wait, no, I manage to get through my non-gender segregated life with a minimum of drama, even when living and working in close quarters with *gasp* boys! so I'm going to go right ahead and suggest that if what you say is true, then the bar is set way too low for acceptable behaviour in the military.

No kidding. That double standard is what creates 90% of the drama surrounding this issue as it applies to the US (other armies don't pull that nonsense, with the fitness standards at least).
    I agree with you...are you in the military The Cat? Because if you're not then it's really hard to equivocate civilians working with other civilians to military personnel literally living together
    In any case the problem is endemic to lowered standards, definitely and I completely agree with you. Just, however, from my experience an all-male unit has a lot less personal problems and bullshit like adultery and pregnancies that a co-ed one
    Again, I'm not saying that the solution is to disallow females from joining, or to disallow females from the draft, I'm just saying that I could kind of see the reasoning behind it if one were against females being drafted on those reasons alone. That still, in itself, is nowhere near enough of a reason to disallow the draft for females, however

Rent on
  • Options
    CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    In Denmark men are conscripted into the army for a period between 4 - 8 months depending on what part of the military they are assigned to, on their 18th birthday. It actually works more like a lottery so that not EVERY man has to join the army, but like every 3 or 4th and you get to postpone it if you're in uni etc.

For the men who get chosen, it's compulsory. But women volunteer for the army, and it works out fine because that way you generally only the get the butch women who can actually do well within the army.

My friend is in the Norwegian Army (he wasn't conscripted, he volunteered) and is currently serving in the Royal Guard and I can't tell you how much he hates women being allowed into the army.

He says that for every able woman there are 10 utterly useless, whining girls. He said he'd rather exclude the few useful women in the army and at the same time lose the abundant useless girls than having to keep on the capable women but at the same time the useless girls.

It's retarded because they have these Affirmative Action-esque laws in Norway with regards to women, where apparenly for every 3 or 4 men there have to be at least 1 woman. And he claims they just don't work, because the women he serves with usually end up complaining about their cramps every month and sit down and cry when they can't hike anymore or are too tired to carry on.
    He told me that no-one in his platoon wants to be paired up with the women because they're of no help and are in fact more of a hindrance in training excercises. He said that the difference between the men and the women in the army are that if a man is exhausted or his morale is low, he'll collapse but that the others or the sergeant can go to him, cuff him around the head and tell him to man the fuck up and get on with it. But with the girls, they sit down and they cry. And then cry some more, and the Sergeant can't really do anything about it because then it would assault or harrassment.

If what he's told me is really the case, I think that's bang out of order. If anything, they'd definitely have to tighten the selection process in Norway so that only the women who are really cut out for it can get in and not just girls looking for something exciting to do for a few months.

I mean, in my personal opinion, I don't really care. I'm from Denmark. No-one's going to invade us and we're not going to invade anyone, so for all I cared they could just abolish the army and use the funding on something better. That's not to say that I think women should be selected willy-nilly simply for the reason that they're women, of course not, but I seem to recall the USSR had a crack squadron of women snipers during WWII that killed loads of German soldiers so it's not like women can't do it.

Cristo on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    To expand on Cat, #1's answer is that not only is the entire adult population never drafted at once, but they would never draft both parents of a couple (or one if there was only one parent and no other guardian). The other reasons are kind of weak, and #s 6 and 7 are just complete "Man, wut" inducing.

I think the draft should cover women, but at the same physical standards.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I agree with you...are you in the military The Cat?
    God golly no, massive authority issues all up ins.
    Because if you're not then it's really hard to equivocate civilians working with other civilians to military personnel literally living together
    I regularly have to live with co-workers in remote locations. I'm sticking with 'low standards'. To soften the blow, I have the same low opinion of the behavioural indulgences extended to athletes and entertainers, because I see where it leads every time I pick up a newspaper. Adding expensive weaponry into that mix seems... ill-advised.
    In any case the problem is endemic to lowered standards, definitely and I completely agree with you. Just, however, from my experience an all-male unit has a lot less personal problems and bullshit like adultery and pregnancies that a co-ed one
    Again, I'm not saying that the solution is to disallow females from joining, or to disallow females from the draft, I'm just saying that I could kind of see the reasoning behind it if one were against females being drafted on those reasons alone. That still, in itself, is nowhere near enough of a reason to disallow the draft for females, however
    coo'

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    I already doubt the performance of a drafted individual in armies, just seems like a bad idea putting people into the military who really don't want to be there. They will probably never perform as well as those who volunteer to go.

That said, I imagine the performance of drafted women would be even worse than the performance of the drafted men. Therefore, unless we are really desperate, women should not be drafted into an army. This isn't about making everything nice and equal and fair, it's about getting shit done and not wasting fucking time with shitty soldiers or military personnel.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Also, #2 is like, what the fuck? If anything the military encourages that overprotectiveness, because it helps strengthen bonds between soldiers and makes them work better as a team
    Fucking dumbass

Rent on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Christo, I thought military service was at least partly about drilling the idiocy out of people and making them all responsible and shit? Sounds like those women need all the boot camp they can get.

I do find it interesting that in your world, there are no idiotic useless men. And when I say interesting I mean bigoted and blinkered. Idiot.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    I already doubt the performance of a drafted individual in armies, just seems like a bad idea putting people into the military who really don't want to be there. They will probably never perform as well as those who volunteer to go.

That said, I imagine the performance of drafted women would be even worse than the performance of the drafted men. Therefore, unless we are really desperate, women should not be drafted into an army. This isn't about making everything nice and equal and fair, it's about getting shit done and not wasting fucking time with shitty soldiers or military personnel.

Why?

Zombie Monkey on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    With regards to number #7, I think cramps are something blown way out of proportion that teenage girls take advantage of during High School.

The amount of times a girl would go to the nurse or head-teacher etc. and ask to go home because of "cramps" and "period headaches" in my last 2 schools were pretty ridiculous. But I never really hear adult women complaining of it nearly as much as the girls in my school, so I don't think it's really a valid reason.

Cristo on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Good job, I agree with you

Shut the fuck up you have no idea what you're talking about

Rent on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Why?

Why not?

Obs on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Christo, I thought military service was at least partly about drilling the idiocy out of people and making them all responsible and shit? Sounds like those women need all the boot camp they can get.

I do find it interesting that in your world, there are no idiotic useless men. And when I say interesting I mean bigoted and blinkered. Idiot.

I think equal opportunity mandating a certain percentage of the military being females is a terribad idea, however

Rent on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Why?

Why not?

As much as this is going to be a waste of time. Burden of proof motherfucker, do you speak it?

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Pardon?

I'm sorry, but it seems to me you just called me a bigoted idiot for no apparent reason. A tad over-aggressive are we perhaps?

I think you'll find if you actually read my post properly rather than just jumping to some retraded conclusion about me being a mysogynist, that I was posting about what MY FRIEND IN THE NORWEGIAN ARMY thought. He never mentioned anything about the men. So how would I know about the men in the Norwegian army? I'm Danish and not even in the army, so I can't really comment on whether what he said is true or not, I just relayed his feelings since I deemed it appropriate in a thread this.

Chill out for Christs' sake. Also, I think you'll find there's a distinct lack of an "h" in my name. I haven't mispellt "Christ". Cristo means Christ in Latin, just a little fyi since a lot of people get my name wrong.

Cristo on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Why?

Why not?

You've already trolled one gender thread this week. Quit while you're ahead. The rest of you ignore him.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Why?

Why not?

Because the average women who, ill grant, may not have the physical capacity of the average man, can still be of great use perhaps outside of combat where intellectually, they can provide support and work behind the scenes. This is not to say that women cant be on the frontlines, they can, but theres no justification to say that in the army the average woman could not be as useful as the average man.

Zombie Monkey on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Leitner wrote: »

Why?

Why not?

As much as this is going to be a waste of time. Burden of proof motherfucker, do you speak it?
    Also, Obs, speaking as a member of the military who works with females you have no fucking clue
    Like the amount of stupidity you're espousing is amazing
    Like truly staggering

Rent on
  • Options
    freelancerbobfreelancerbob UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

I think equal opportunity mandating a certain percentage of anything being any particular group is a terribad idea, however

Seriously. If you have to recruit on any factor other than ability to do the job, fail will happen.

freelancerbob on
    What is this thing that is happening here.
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Why?

Why not?

Do I really need a reason? I simply believe women have been conditioned to be fucking pussies under a lot of stressful conditions they would encounter in war. Sure, there are many men who are also pussies, but the man-up culture is there to support them.

It's ok if you disagree man. There's no need to be outraged over what one guy believes on the internet.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Cristo wrote: »

Pardon?

I'm sorry, but it seems to me you just called me a bigoted idiot for no apparent reason. A tad over-aggressive are we perhaps?

I think you'll find if you actually read my post properly rather than just jumping to some retraded conclusion about me being a mysogynist, that I was posting about what MY FRIEND IN THE NORWEGIAN ARMY thought. He never mentioned anything about the men. So how would I know about the men in the Norwegian army? I'm Danish and not even in the army, so I can't really comment on whether what he said is true or not, I just relayed his feelings since I deemed it appropriate in a thread this.

Chill out for Christs' sake.

No, you've done this kind of thing before, and then you followed it up with some really stupid bullshit about how teenagers must be faking cramps whenever they ask for an ibuprofen and a lie-down, so I think I'm going to go right on ahead and keep calling you out until you stop posting stupid things.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Pardon?

Chill out for Christs' sake.
    Just so that you know for the future, there are two things Cat is passionate about (well, there are more, but two things in this forum that people know her for). Gender issues and dirt.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I think equal opportunity mandating a certain percentage of the military being females is a terribad idea, however
    That's always been a stupid idea wherever it could possibly be applied (beyond "attempt to approach soem kind of reasonable demographic representation within a reasonable timeframe"). Why even bring it up?

And don't go "lawl AA" at me. Quotas were never a mandated part of AA in the US.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Why?

Why not?

Also, Obs, speaking as a member of the military who works with females you have no fucking clue
    Like the amount of stupidity you're espousing is amazing
    Like truly staggering

Drafted military females?

I'm not talking about volunteers man. I've basically already said volunteer people are self motivated to perform well, both men and women.

Seriously, take time to understand what I'm actually saying before you get all up in arms about it.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Why?

Why not?

Do I really need a reason? I simply believe women have been conditioned to be fucking pussies under a lot of stressful conditions they would encounter in war. Sure, there are many men who are also pussies, but the man-up culture is there to support them.

It's ok if you disagree man. There's no need to be outraged over what one guy believes on the internet.

O_o O_o

D:
    Are you...are you fucking serious

Rent on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

That's always been a stupid idea wherever it could possibly be applied (beyond "attempt to approach soem kind of reasonable demographic representation within a reasonable timeframe"). Why even bring it up?

And don't go "lawl AA" at me. Quotas were never a mandated part of AA in the US.

I've never heard of quotas for specific minorities to be represented in the military, and I'm of the belief that here in America we don't do that

So I was saying like if Norway does that, that's really fucking dumb

Please don't hurt me... >.> <.<

Rent on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    With regards to number #7, I think cramps are something blown way out of proportion that teenage girls take advantage of during High School.

The amount of times a girl would go to the nurse or head-teacher etc. and ask to go home because of "cramps" and "period headaches" in my last 2 schools were pretty ridiculous. But I never really hear adult women complaining of it nearly as much as the girls in my school, so I don't think it's really a valid reason.

That's because menstrual cramps tend to diminish with age. So no, not all high school girls were faking it for attention, it actually gets easier over time.

In any case, I don't think women should be drafted cause I don't want to go. Is that a good enough reason?

Asiina on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    [Obs] already trolled one gender thread this week. Quit while you're ahead. The rest of you ignore him.

This bears further, less subtle emphasis.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.