As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Most Awesome Electric Car . . . ever?

geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
I give you, the Tesla Model S:

teslamodelslive_08_opt.jpg

More pictures

Production will ramp up to 20,000 units annually by the end of the first year of production (starting Q3 2011); after the $7,500 tax break, the Model S will start at just under $50,000 – $49,900 to be exact; and 440-volt charging will be available. That base price is for the 160-mile range pack; a 230-mile range pack and a 300-mile range pack will also be available.

* The car fits seven people and their luggage: five adults and two children in rear-facing seats under the hatch inside, with luggage in the boot up front.
* If not people, it can fit a mountain bike with its wheels still on, a surfboard and a 50-inch television at the same time.
* The dashboard screens were installed to rid the interior of buttons. The 17-inch main display is fully 3G and Internet capable.
* The 300-mile range is possible (vs the Roadster's 244-mile range) because the S has 8,000 battery cells vs. 6,000 in the Roadster, the batteries have been improved in mass and volumetric performance, and there is more advanced cell chemistry in each cell, and the S has a cd of about .27 vs. the Roadster's drag coefficient of .35.
* On a 220V outlet, the car can be recharged in 4 hours.
* Option packages are being decided, with the only initial option being the battery pack. Customers will also be able to buy the 160-mile pack and rent the long range pack for a trip.
* They are finalizing the warranty, and expect it to be 3-4 years for the car and 7-10 years for the battery pack. They expect replacement battery packs to come in at "well under $5000" according to Elon.
* The quickness: the standard S will get to 60 in 5.5 to 6.0 seconds. A coming sport version will get to 60 in "well under five seconds," Musk says.
* The car will get a single-speed transmission.
* The body panels and chassis will be primarily aluminum, with a total weight of just over 4,000 pounds, about 1,200 pounds of that being battery mass.
* For infrastructure, Tesla is working with a government-affiliated partner to set up battery changing stations at various locations. They will be able to change the battery in 5-8 minutes, "quicker than filling up your car with gas."

Personally, I am blown away by these numbers. If they hold up, I think we just found (part of) the future of American car manufacturing.

This is awesome, so let's discuss how awesome this is, and how crippled Detroit is - there is no way they ever could have come up with something like this.

geckahn on

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Holy shit. For one, that thing is beautiful! The recharge time is pretty damn awesome as well. I'm very glad Tesla is finally getting their stuff into production.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Purty.

So one claim against, say, the Prius, is that the manufacturing side of things kind of negates the environmental benefits of the finished unit (you're swapping heavy metals problems for carbon problems, in sum). How does this stack up against a similar criticism?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Single-speed transmission = totally awesome. Isn't that like 30% of power loss on a normal car?

I want one of these soooo badly.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You still have to replace the battery cells in these things every 3-5 years or so for $20000 a pop right?

Johannen on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    The Cat wrote: »
    Purty.

So one claim against, say, the Prius, is that the manufacturing side of things kind of negates the environmental benefits of the finished unit (you're swapping heavy metals problems for carbon problems, in sum). How does this stack up against a similar criticism?

Pretty much the same way, instead of actually giving it consideration the solution is to shout down anyone suggesting your $50,000 sportscar isn't magic.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Could someone explain to me (in you're-not-so-bright-are-you terms) how a single-speed transmission would work?

[ed] @joh: geckahn's bullets say $5,000 for a replacement pack on the batteries.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Johannen wrote: »
    You still have to replace the battery cells in these things every 3-5 years or so for $20000 a pop right?
    * They are finalizing the warranty, and expect it to be 3-4 years for the car and 7-10 years for the battery pack. They expect replacement battery packs to come in at "well under $5000" according to Elon.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2009
    Aaaaah, fair enough.

Cat: yeah it's still just as bad for the environment.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Could someone explain to me (in you're-not-so-bright-are-you terms) how a single-speed transmission would work?

[ed] @joh: geckahn's bullets say $5,000 for a replacement pack on the batteries.

Motors in the wheels for when you start moving or are reversing, everything else is straight from the motor to the wheels.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Purty.

Pretty much the same way, instead of actually giving it consideration the solution is to shout down anyone suggesting your $50,000 sportscar isn't magic.

Yup.

The only solution to that going forward is to change how we mine and process nickle. If I ever own one of these, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it for the fact that I'll never have to buy gas again, it's fast, and sexy. But I'm sure you'll get plenty of olol environment people.

geckahn on
  • Options
    DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

uh, there will only be one gear reduction in the transmission, plus one at the differential (I'm assuming RWD)

It's important to remember that an electric motor can go to a much higher RPM than a normal car engine. You wouldn't have to shift out of say, second gear if your engine was capable of spinning up to 20,000 rpm.

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    also, crazy long warranty for the car. But I assume that's a lot easier to deal with when your product doesnt produce controlled explosions to operate.

geckahn on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    evilbob wrote: »

$3-5 a day to save away for a battery replacement?

It may be cheaper to come up with a fossil fuel replacement. Although that's on par with filling up, you'd still need to pay for charging, and I'm sure those 8 minute charging stations aren't free.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    geckahn wrote: »
    Purty.

Yup.

The only solution to that going forward is to change how we mine and process nickle. If I ever own one of these, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it for the fact that I'll never have to buy gas again, it's fast, and sexy. But I'm sure you'll get plenty of olol environment people.

"No petrol stations" is a pretty big environmental drawcard, though. The contaminated-lands issues the damn things cause alone make these cars worth it, forget about all the resources that go into their construction and maintenance.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Purty.

Yup.

"No petrol stations" is a pretty big environmental drawcard, though. The contaminated-lands issues the damn things cause alone make these cars worth it, forget about all the resources that go into their construction and maintenance.

Depleted battery land fills, I'm sure, will probably take up more space than the contaminated land from a gas station.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    I like where Tesla is going with this, I think they've made more progress than any of the major auto manufacturers. My concern still is the range. 300 miles is great and all, that's about what my 14 gallon tank gets right now but if I need to travel somewhere that's > 300 miles away, I can refill my tank in minutes, instead of 4 hours. Aside from affordibility, which they've made great progress on (down 50% in price from the Roadster), recharge time decrease or increased distance should be the next priority.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »

$3-5 a day to save away for a battery replacement?

It may be cheaper to come up with a fossil fuel replacement. Although that's on par with filling up, you'd still need to pay for charging, and I'm sure those 8 minute charging stations aren't free.

Yeah, but think about what electricity costs compared to gasoline. Pennies on the dollar. Also, there's the social benefit of leaving our dollars away from oil terrorist's hands!

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Depleted battery land fills, I'm sure, will probably take up more space than the contaminated land from a gas station.
    I dunno, there are a lot of petrol stations about. Seriously, start counting next time you're out and about. You'll be surprised. And surely the batteries could be at least partially recyclable? Plus, dead car bits take up a lot of space as it is.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Purty.

Yup.

I'm not really sure why, chemically, you couldn't recycle a battery just fine. Yeah, it costs a bit more money, so throw on a battery tax and pay for it. That way, we don't have to tear up new parts of the earth for more metals, and we get to save our drinking water. EVERYBODY WINS!

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well, the whole idea of having electric cars is to stop the depletion of fossil fuels and to create less harm to the environment. This is why Honda are going the Hydrogen route with the FCX Clarity, and the car show Top Gear loved this car.

But similar environmental problems arise with how the fuel cells are made and how the hydrogen is formed to use as fuel. If there are huge environmental issues with "environmentally friendly" vehicles then it's not really a good idea.

If Tesla find a better way to create and dispose of their fuel cells though they've pretty much got a clean process for running a car.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I dunno, there are a lot of petrol stations about. Seriously, start counting next time you're out and about. You'll be surprised. And surely the batteries could be at least partially recyclable? Plus, dead car bits take up a lot of space as it is.

Phasing out gas-stations isn't going to increase the amount of space occupied by dead car bits exponentially?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Phasing out gas-stations isn't going to increase the amount of space occupied by dead car bits exponentially?

Some of them would just convert over to electric. It's not like gasoline cars would disappear overnight.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Awesomely... expensive.

I'm curious as to the maintenance benefits of an electric vs combustion vehicle. I take it there is no oil to change, right? That's a plus as no more filters, fuel nor oil, need to be changed out every few months.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Hell if I know. I'm just trying to do a bit of a balance-sheet exercise thingy here.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I like where Tesla is going with this, I think they've made more progress than any of the major auto manufacturers. My concern still is the range. 300 miles is great and all, that's about what my 14 gallon tank gets right now but if I need to travel somewhere that's > 300 miles away, I can refill my tank in minutes, instead of 4 hours. Aside from affordibility, which they've made great progress on (down 50% in price from the Roadster), recharge time decrease or increased distance should be the next priority.
    * For infrastructure, Tesla is working with a government-affiliated partner to set up battery changing stations at various locations. They will be able to change the battery in 5-8 minutes, "quicker than filling up your car with gas."

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Lithium Ion batteries are very recyclable, you can render it down into lithium carbonate, and nearly the whole battery can be rendered down into it's base elements (nickel cadmium, nickel metal-hydride, mercury,cobalt). There's not much scrap as I understand it. There aren't many companies that do it right now though.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    archonwarp wrote: »

Some of them would just convert over to electric. It's not like gasoline cars would disappear overnight.

Would they? Companies that try to start up to convert existing cars to use non-gasoline energy reserves get no press in the face of status symbols like the one at the top of this thread. Those businesses need to become viable or what's actually going to happen is we'll just keep using gasoline and the Tesla remains irrelevant.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    If the battery replacement was less of a cost ($1000 would be a great number) and the instant recharge stations were cheap ($2 a recharge) then I could definitely see the benefits of phasing it out. As it stands, it's still slightly too expensive.

While they do have long range packs you can rent for trips, I just don't see the benefits right now. I can see the government awarding them with sole patent rights to cover the costs, but it still needs to be improved. This needs shit tons of funding from the government because they are very clearly on the right track.

bowen on
  • Options
    freelancerbobfreelancerbob UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It looks pretty pimp. That's about all i care about: I don't drive.

freelancerbob on
    What is this thing that is happening here.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Proto wrote: »

Notice the "change" bit there, that doesn't mean charge:

http://technologyinfo.wordpress.com/2008/07/07/tesla-roadster-30-hour-charge-time/
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/environment/2008-03-03-tesla-electric-car_N.htm

Although I think they're putting in 440V fast charging stations in some places.

http://www.teslamotors.com/efficiency/charging_and_batteries.php

It'll take around 3.5 hours to charge at a station and a night to fill at home.

Johannen on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Will it launch with a extra $20,000 on the sticker price and 100 miles off the range, just like the Roadster? :P

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I'd also like to know what kind of fucking car takes more than eight minutes to fill up with gas. o_O

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I'd also like to know what kind of fucking car takes more than eight minutes to fill up with gas. o_O

Are you willing to wait 3 hours to fill up your car at only certain selected fill up stations?

Johannen on
  • Options
    DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

SUVs have tanks up to 40 gallons. That will take a while to fill.

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If the battery replacement was less of a cost ($1000 would be a great number) and the instant recharge stations were cheap ($2 a recharge) then I could definitely see the benefits of phasing it out. As it stands, it's still slightly too expensive.

You're also forgetting that there are no quick recharges with the Tesla. It can take 3 hours to recharge a 300 mile battery pack. I don't know if this quick charge is as quick as anyone says it is.

Also, here's a Tesla blog about energy consumption with the car, tis a good read.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog4/

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    3lwap0 wrote: »

You're also forgetting that there are no quick recharges with the Tesla. It can take 3 hours to recharge a 300 mile battery pack. I don't know if this quick charge is as quick as anyone says it is.

Also, here's a Tesla blog about energy consumption with the car, tis a good read.

It says the quick charge stations will be able to do it in about 8 minutes.

I'm questioning that myself, though.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    3lwap0 wrote: »

It says the quick charge stations will be able to do it in about 8 minutes.

I'm questioning that myself, though.
    Change.

The quick change stations. For changing the battery, not charging it.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    change, not charge. Presumably you'd have to subscribe to that type of service, so you could swap your spent batteries for charged ones when you need to go on long distance drives.

I have no idea how theyd work out the used up battery issue with this.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    My dyslexia hurts.

bowen on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Drakmathus wrote: »

SUVs have tanks up to 40 gallons. That will take a while to fill.

We're not talking SUVs, we're talking cars. Take your SUV bullshit and get to soccer practice.

Anyways, yes, they can change the battery for you in 5-8 minutes. That's not bad, but it's not the best solution. What if you pull up and they're still charging batteries? What if they're underhanded and give you a half charged battery and you can''t even make it to the next battery change station?

I'd much rather have quicker recharge times over battery swaps.

JustinSane07 on