As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Comic Thread of Friday, March 27, 2009

• Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'll only agree with you if you change your name to BuddyK

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Either way it would still sound like people are angry at me when they address me

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    What about Bu-uh-deeK

The kids could call you Deek Deek.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Campion wrote: »
    What about Bu-uh-deeK

The kids could call you Deek Deek.

Are you high, kid?

Are you smoking the reefers?

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You could have the catch phrase "I keeD, I keeD"

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    hardcheesehardcheese Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    96403445.gif

My ex-cat was a badass bitch. Very photogenic.

hardcheese on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is This It?

Is This

It

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    that's a comic edit alright

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Did your cat have....

DIABEETUS!!!

Bedlam on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Actuallt the stripes remind me of my first cat.

Damn he was awesome :cry:

Bedlam on
  • Options
    hardcheesehardcheese Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    A lot of drool escapes her mouth through that busted lip. She uses it to mark her territory.

hardcheese on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    zimfan wrote: »
    Is This It?

Is This

It

I am going to have that bassline in my head all day you asshole

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Ness445Ness445 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is This It?

Is This

It
    it is!

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Is This It?

Is This

It

doo doo doodoo da doo doo DOO

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    it's such a good song/album

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is This It?

Is This

It

what is

Nuzak on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ahahaha the fucking podcast

"blinding a seeing-eye dog, it's like, ultra ironic..."

"would he like get, a smaller seeing eye dog? like a chihuahua?"

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    A fucking menagerie going down the sidewalk!

Blind man -> blind seeing-eye dog -> chihuahua that is the blind see-eye dog's seeing-eye dog.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zek wrote: »
    lol, looking at the video the comic is talking about: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47269.html This is the most hamfisted attempt at a morality system I've ever seen. Whenever you come across a choice the guy goes into a fucking soliloquy explaining exactly what your options are, which of them is really evil and why.

That's so fucking horrible. Seriously, that's just...You know what, I'll see your "hamfisted," and I'll raise you a "patronizing."

I wonder how hard it would be to write a game where you have to make difficult choices.

The easiest way to do this would be to make an obviously evil choice and an obviously good choice, and punish players for choosing the good choice. Like what Bioshock pretended it was going to do, only don't give players a bunch of extra Adam if they keep saving the little sisters, since that defeats the whole concept and makes the choice pretty much meaningless. The problem with that approach is that you've basically made a game where the player is supposed to do evil things, so there's still a clear right and wrong, only now the "evil" choice is right.

You could do a factioning system, where both sides are morally questionable, but in different ways. Like one side could have a core value like "the ends justify the means," so they have ultimately noble ideals, but go about achieving their goals in absolutely vile ways. Then the other side could be all "due process and equality" and all that, but even though they try to be good all the time, the ultimate result of their victory is a worse outcome because they are misguided in their objectives.

Or like, you could work with utilitarian distributions. One path makes the world much better for most people, but absolutely horrible for a small minority. The other path makes the world more even for everybody, although the total happiness is less. Effectively, the difference is that most simple morality games force the player's character, to sacrifice in order to make the world better for others. This game would give the player the choice of making somebody else sacrifice, involuntarily, for the good of others. Noble self-sacrifice is one thing, but forcing sacrifice on someone else is quite another. So again, you're trying to make the world better either way, but you're given the ability to choose whether or not to control things that aren't rightfully yours (other people's lives) in order to do what you personally feel is right.

I don't know, I've never been involved in a project that attempted that, but it would be cool to see.

This game looks like ass, though.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Cats are scary monsters, and they generally seem to know it.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I wonder if there's some sort of instinct in domesticated housecats that tell it that it has relatives like the lion, cheetah, and panther, and that's why it acts like the big motherfucker on campus.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ness445 wrote: »
    I wonder if there's some sort of instinct in domesticated housecats that tell it that it has relatives like the lion, cheetah, and panther, and that's why it acts like the big motherfucker on campus.

No, cats are pretty much just dicks whether they deserve it or not.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

You can tell that they know. They realize that they are giant ninja monsters. The only reason we don't find them terrifying is because we're like 20 times their size. Get a cat that's bigger than us and all of a sudden it's a different story.

See, dogs aren't that way. A huge, 200-pound dog can still be nice to a 20-pound child, and usually they will be nice as their default behavior. Because they are nature's buddyfriend. Not nature's terrifying ninja.

Defender on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Nuzak wrote: »
    Is This It?

Is This

It

what is

It Is.

I think it's the best out of the three, though the other two have their moments.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, I'm re-listening to The Spore Cult podcast, where they're talking about the two armies with the giant hats, where they're competing for hat size. And I'm almost ashamed I didn't think of this before.

But it's military millinery.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Defender wrote: »

You can tell that they know. They realize that they are giant ninja monsters. The only reason we don't find them terrifying is because we're like 20 times their size. Get a cat that's bigger than us and all of a sudden it's a different story.

See, dogs aren't that way. A huge, 200-pound dog can still be nice to a 20-pound child, and usually they will be nice as their default behavior. Because they are nature's buddyfriend. Not nature's terrifying ninja.

I think I've always found the opposite to be true.

Dogs, while not always mean (though sometimes they totally are) are more likely to hurt people, if only by accident. Bigger ones especially.

Meanwhile cats are gentle and yeah, pretty self-important. But they are all about rubbing up against you and purring, instead of trying to pounce on you or bite you like dogs.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That kitten gets into college and he chooses to go to Nebraska?

The kitten deserves everything he gets coming to him.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Jimothy wrote: »

Dogs, while not always mean (though sometimes they totally are) are more likely to hurt people, if only by accident. Bigger ones especially.

Meanwhile cats are gentle and yeah, pretty self-important. But they are all about rubbing up against you and purring, instead of trying to pounce on you or bite you like dogs.

Are you kidding, cats hurt people on purpose all the time, with minimal provocation. It's just that the only thing they can do is claw at you.

Zek on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Jimothy wrote: »

Are you kidding, cats hurt people on purpose all the time, with minimal provocation. It's just that the only thing they can do is claw at you.

Cats aren't untrainable, either. There are some obvious differences in their behavior, but cats and dogs are both social animals. A friend of mine made sure to spend a few minutes with any one of his cats and dogs at some point, to make sure none of them were confused to who the alpha is. As a result they're all very responsive, especialy his terrier.

The problem in general is that most cat owners are pussies who can't stop fawning over their cat long enough to make it clear who is in charge. You're not doing yourself or your pets any favors by letting them get away with being a shithead because you can't stay mad at them.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited March 2009
    I used to punish this one cat. She was hard to punish because most obvious punishments were, as best I could tell, just being interpreted as "that guy's being a dick again." Like I would punish her for something, and then she'd go right back and do it again while I'm still standing right there. What worked, though, was Cat Jail. Basically just an upside-down box, Cat Jail worked very quickly. I don't know if she just understood it better, or if it was just unpleasant enough that she stopped trying to compete with me, but her bad/annoying behaviors stopped very quickly after Cat Jail was implemented.

Also, dogs might be too rough or hurt you by accident, but only because they don't know better. My grandmother is quite old and very obviously weak. She's also blind. One of my sister's dogs (being my sister's dog means he's completely untrained and rightly believes himself to be the alpha in his own house) recognized this fact and would always walk behind her or get out of the way while she was trying to walk around. He seemed to understand that she's important and fragile and that he should clear a path so she can get around as easily as possible.

Both animals can be trained, and will just learn to get along with you in most cases, but by default, cats are scary monsters and dogs are buddymans.

Defender on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    lol, looking at the video the comic is talking about: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47269.html This is the most hamfisted attempt at a morality system I've ever seen. Whenever you come across a choice the guy goes into a fucking soliloquy explaining exactly what your options are, which of them is really evil and why.

That's so fucking horrible. Seriously, that's just...You know what, I'll see your "hamfisted," and I'll raise you a "patronizing."

I wonder how hard it would be to write a game where you have to make difficult choices.

The easiest way to do this would be to make an obviously evil choice and an obviously good choice, and punish players for choosing the good choice. Like what Bioshock pretended it was going to do, only don't give players a bunch of extra Adam if they keep saving the little sisters, since that defeats the whole concept and makes the choice pretty much meaningless. The problem with that approach is that you've basically made a game where the player is supposed to do evil things, so there's still a clear right and wrong, only now the "evil" choice is right.

You could do a factioning system, where both sides are morally questionable, but in different ways. Like one side could have a core value like "the ends justify the means," so they have ultimately noble ideals, but go about achieving their goals in absolutely vile ways. Then the other side could be all "due process and equality" and all that, but even though they try to be good all the time, the ultimate result of their victory is a worse outcome because they are misguided in their objectives.

Or like, you could work with utilitarian distributions. One path makes the world much better for most people, but absolutely horrible for a small minority. The other path makes the world more even for everybody, although the total happiness is less. Effectively, the difference is that most simple morality games force the player's character, to sacrifice in order to make the world better for others. This game would give the player the choice of making somebody else sacrifice, involuntarily, for the good of others. Noble self-sacrifice is one thing, but forcing sacrifice on someone else is quite another. So again, you're trying to make the world better either way, but you're given the ability to choose whether or not to control things that aren't rightfully yours (other people's lives) in order to do what you personally feel is right.

I don't know, I've never been involved in a project that attempted that, but it would be cool to see.

This game looks like ass, though.

Have you played the Witcher? It actually has a lot of what you're describing, and focuses on presenting you with situations where you have to choose between sides, although neither side is wholly good or evil.

Brolo on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The Witcher was cool from what I played, though some of the swearing was a bit awkward.

"Why do people hate elves?"
    "WHY DO PRICKS GO IN CUNTS?!?"

Moriveth on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Something about people swearing in a fantasy setting is just ridiculous

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think I have an idea for my new tattoo.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    "Give me an elf, fucking a dwarf, giving everybody the finger and a little word balloon saying, 'Fuck the Man'"

BusterK on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »
    The Witcher was cool from what I played, though some of the swearing was a bit awkward.

"Why do people hate elves?"
    "WHY DO PRICKS GO IN CUNTS?!?"

YOUR MOTHER SUCKS DWARF COCK

Actually the enhanced edition switched a bunch of the voice acting and such, which was a good idea. I'm playing through it now and it's been pretty solid overall. The most awkward thing is still the sex cards.

Brolo on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    BusterK wrote: »
    "Give me an elf, fucking a dwarf, giving everybody the finger and a little word balloon saying, 'Fuck the Man'"
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY RICK

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Why do pricks go in cunts anyway

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Why do pricks go in cunts anyway
    Why do dicks go anywhere?

Cause it feels good.

Blake T on
This discussion has been closed.