As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mailing PC games in cardboard boxes?

Lawnboy360Lawnboy360 Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm going to sell a few PC games on ebay, and I'd like to ship the small cardboard box wrapped with paper (as opposed to shipping the jewel case in a bubble mailer). Do you think it will get crushed on the way? How are PC games usually shipped?

Thanks in advance.

Lawnboy360 on

• Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You can mark it fragile at the post office/UPS store. There may or may not be a surcharge.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Do you mean the cardboard box like the one it came in from the video game store? If so, you'll definitely want to put that inside of another cardboard box, because yes, it will get crushed, and yes, your buyers will be most likely be extremely annoyed about it.

Marking things fragile is a waste of time. Packages usually get treated more or less like soccer balls, no matter who the carrier is.

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    pretty big box, ball up a lot of newspapers and use around 4 to cover the cds I have moved models like that and they don't get damaged too bad, also the fragile thing is crazy. I just had 2 comics mailed to me as fragile and no dents

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    Lawnboy360Lawnboy360 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yes, I'm referring to the box the game came in.

I'm all for using a sturdy cardboard box, but I have no idea where I'd find an appropriate one. Those I have are way too big, and those at the post office are overpriced.

Lawnboy360 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Lawnboy360 wrote:
    Yes, I'm referring to the box the game came in.

I'm all for using a sturdy cardboard box, but I have no idea where I'd find an appropriate one. Those I have are way too big, and those at the post office are overpriced.

excessive padding is better than minimal padding.

cause that will get kicked.

often.

and hard.

• Options
    blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Lawnboy360 wrote:

That's why you include the price of the box in your shipping and handling charge.

I tend to buy boxes from the drug store near my place, because they're $1-$2 and come in a variety of sizes.

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    also retail stores are CONSTANTLY throwing them out.

ask for one at like target or toys r us or something

• Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Also they sell them at the post office, although at increased rates.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    You could wrap the game in a few layers of bubble wrap and then wrap it in brown paper. Getting a box a size bigger than the game and padding it out with crushed paper, bubble wrap or polystyrene peanuts is definitely the best course of action though, because then the game is protected from buffeting and the outer box provides support so when it is at the bottom of a pile of other parcels, it's the outer box that supports the weight not the game box. It's worth paying a couple of dollars for the boxes at the post office as well, because they are designed to be sturdy enough for posting. You could use a shoe box, but it isn't likely to be as ridged and is likely to collapse at the first sign of pressure or damp and be of little more use than brown paper.

Szechuanosaurus on