Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Dogs in the Vineyard] IC Thread: On the Tree of Life, Many Branches Divided

2

Posts

  • ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jacob puts on his best scary face.

    "And y'all are?"

    Shinyo on
  • edited April 2009
    Shinyo wrote: »
    Jacob puts on his best scary face.

    "And y'all are?"

    "Captain Tom Blue. 1st-Lt. Hans Gerlach-Saye. 2nd-Lt. James Braxton. We help Sister Sharon."

    They stare for an uncomfortably long period of time.

    "Your Brother Eleazar wishes to speak with us outside. And you, too, will wish to join." This is James Braxton talking, and he makes no effort to be subtle about what might happen. He smiles, flashing sharpened teeth.

    Tom Blue, from the back of the line, hisses.

    robotsunshine on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Eleazar firmly took Sister Sharons hand by the wrist and moved it away from himself. "I'll talk to the good Steward and my fellow Dogs, and if need be we'll see if we need to apoint another man to run this Branch. But now if you'll excuse me me and my fellow Dog's need to talk to these good friends of yours." He hesitated briefly then turned his back on Sister Sharon to quickly walk down the stairs where he knew Brother Jacob would be. Confidant Brother Jacob who never woke up to find himself covered in sweat and who would know what to do about these strange men.

    Neaden on
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User
    edited April 2009
    Brother Caleb leaves the barn, taking his hat off on the way. He pulls another handkerchief from one pocket, and starts mopping his face and brow on the way to the schoolhouse - despite the cold weather, he's sweating.

    Once he reaches his destination, he's back to being presentable, though the situation he finds himself in is far from it. He stands in the street, and pushes his long coat to one side, over his hip. The bright colors are dim and muted in the wan twilight, but the glint of metal on his belt is obvious enough. Did he hear the hiss? Is there just something in the air that's alerted him to possible danger? Is he just making a silent show of authority and veiled threat to back up the other Dogs? His fingers rise to touch Daddy's Black Stitch for the second time this evening - perhaps he's just nervous.

    Kay2 on
  • edited April 2009
    The three Territorials slowly push past Brother Jacob, and behind them, you can see Brother Eleazar.

    They stand and face the moon, and behind them, the sun goes down.

    There's a mounting tension while Brother Caleb makes his way there.

    Captain Tom Blue looks at the moon, and there he sees something that unsettles him. He has a vision of gnashing teeth, of relentless hounds and much blood and biting. He blinks once, slowly, and replaces the image with that gored, eviscerated dogs, weak and feeble. His fingers wiggle and close to a fist.

    "We're just members of the cavalry, passing through for a while." 1st Lt. Hans Gerlach-Saye speaks in his odd way. "Miss Sharon Burns needs help. We try to stay out of the way."

    2nd Lt. James Braxton chimes in, "It's surprising she even remembered our names. No one notices us."

    Everyone is in the barn, or heading to bed - except those in the schoolhouse, who tend to their affairs in private.

    As the Dogs gather round, the three turn and face the watching eyes of Judgment. They smile.

    He continues: "But you know, don't you? And we'll have to leave for a while, won't we? This Branch is beset by non-believers and heathens, so they can continue our work for us." He looks to Brother Eleazar. "You've seen it before. You know what we are."

    "No sense hiding it now."

    Together, they face the Dogs fully, and they are in their glory: muscular and quick, their faces slightly snout-like, their fangs growing.


    "BEHOLD THE WRATH OF THE KING OF LIES!"

    Tom Blue charges towards Brother Caleb; Hans Gerlach-Saye charges towards Brother Eleazar; and James Braxton charges towards Brother Jacob. Their arms raised, fingers long and spindly, their eyes swirling black and red.
    1. The Stakes are, do the demons very badly hurt the Dogs?

    2. The stage has already been set.

    3. Participants: you three, and my three.

    4. Starting arena - they're standing pretty close, and they're FAST! So they can get to you before you can whip a gun out. We'll go with Fist-fighting for starters, but feel free to escalate beyond that.

    BODY + WILL

    5. My dice:
    • Tom Blue - (dice: 1 2 3 3 4 4 6 6)
    • Hans Gerlach-Saye - (dice: 4 4 5 6 6)
    • James Braxton - (dice: 1 1 2 3 4 4 4 5)

    For initiative here, we'll go by Best Roll: yes, they're fast, but you guys are fucking Watchdogs, and you don't play around.
    - TB:12, 4, 4, 3
    - HG-S: 12, 5, 4, 4
    - JB: 9, 4, 4, 3

    robotsunshine on
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User
    edited April 2009
    Fist Fighting - Body (3) + Will (3)
    (Dice: 3 4 5 6 6 6)

    Initiative - 12, 6, 5
    (You're not kidding about that Wizards.com diceroller being insane!)
    I guess as I beat the guy attacking me, I can take the initiative and raise.

    Raise:
    Even though he's expecting something, these Demons of the King of Lies move so quickly, that he's without a weapon to hand. At least, for the moment.

    "By the King of All Life," is all he has the time to say before he's in the midst of a melee.

    Brother Caleb steps forwards, meeting Tom Blue's charge with one of his own. The Dog ducks, then throws out a right straight at the charging demon's snout - ain't nothing quite like a punch on the nose to cool one's heels.

    (Dice: 3, 4)

    Kay2 on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I roll 5 d6 getting 1,1,5,2,1. So for initiative 7,1,1,1. The demon gets to go first.

    Neaden on
  • ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dice: ( 6,6,4,3,6,6,6,4,4,3,3,5,1,4,)
    Two highest are 6 and 6 so 12

    Shinyo on
  • ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dice: (6,4,2,5,5,4,5,5,5)

    Raise: James Braxton
    Jacob was ready for this. He was ready from before he saw what his enemy looked like. By the time James Braxton had thrown the first punch, Jacob had already seen it coming and moved out of the way. He was also in a nice crouching position with his enemy wide open. Jacob swung his arm with full force up into James gut.
    Dice: 6, 4

    Shinyo on
  • edited April 2009
    Kay wrote: »
    Fist Fighting - Body (3) + Will (3)
    (Dice: 3 4 5 6 6 6)

    Initiative - 12, 6, 5
    (You're not kidding about that Wizards.com diceroller being insane!)
    I guess as I beat the guy attacking me, I can take the initiative and raise.

    Raise:
    Even though he's expecting something, these Demons of the King of Lies move so quickly, that he's without a weapon to hand. At least, for the moment.

    "By the King of All Life," is all he has the time to say before he's in the midst of a melee.

    Brother Caleb steps forwards, meeting Tom Blue's charge with one of his own. The Dog ducks, then throws out a right straight at the charging demon's snout - ain't nothing quite like a punch on the nose to cool one's heels.

    (Dice: 3, 4)

    Tom Blue
    He rolls his trait, "I am a demon: I fight with tooth and nail 2d10" for a 7 and a 3. He also gets to roll his Power of Ferocity 3d8 for a 1, 5, and 6. He is now: (dice: 1 1 2 3 3 3 4 4 5 6 6 6 7)

    See:
    Tom Blue accepts the punch, letting his great maw open up, and the Dog's mighty fist to sever a few teeth from his gums - however, in that same action, he bites down, hard, his thin, sharp teeth ripping into the meat of Brother Caleb's fist.
    (dice: 7) Reversing the Blow

    Raise:
    The demon shakes Brother Caleb's hand the way a dog shakes a toy it's chewing on, then lets go, reaching up and grabbing him by the throat, jerking him back a few steps - his bloody mouth and face stare deep into the Dog.

    "I have seen the Wicked in great power, and spreading himself like a green bay tree."

    He quotes the Book of Life mechanically and mockingly, and tightens his grip on the Dog's neck, meaning to snap it in two.
    (dice: 7 5)

    Hans Gerlach-Saye
    He's rolling his trait of, "I have tasted blood and long to again 2d10" for a 9 and a 10 (everyone use the D&D dice roller it is fucking wonderful).
    He has the Power of Viciousness, which is unfortunate for Brother Eleazar - it means that Hans inflicts Fallout a die size higher than normal - which for is normally d6 for physical blows that aren't done with a weapon, but will now be a d8.

    (dice: 4 4 5 6 6 9 10)

    Brother Eleazar, don't take Fallout, for the love of God.

    Raise:
    Hans Gerlach-Saye nearly glides to his target, claws outstretched. He leaps up a couple of feet and comes down, claws bursting from his boots - a wall of razors, aimed at the Dog's face and torso. He moves fast, so that he appears to just be a choppy blur, not enough to recognize points of movement until he emerges from his fall, eyes flaring, teeth bared.
    (dice: 9 10)

    robotsunshine on
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User
    edited April 2009
    Escalating to gunfighting, and rolling Acuity (5).
    (Dice: 3 3 3 5 6)
    Invoking trait - "I never miss a tin can - 1d6"
    (Die: 4)
    Using belonging - Colt revolver 1d6 1d4
    (Dice: 4 6) (Wow)

    (Dice Remaining: 3 3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6 6 6 6)

    See:
    The injured Dog grits his teeth as the demon's fangs bite into the flesh of his hand, and he pulls himself free with a cry of pain and righteous fury. At the same time, he aims a kick at the man's crotch, and struggles free of the demon's grip. Brother Caleb then jumps backwards, raising his left hand towards his attacker, spreading his fingers in the Sign of the Tree. "Get to safety, woman!" he urges Sister Sharon.
    (Dice: 6 6) (Block)

    Kay2 on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Rolling my Traits I know the book of life Like that Back of My Hand, I'm A Dog Now, I won't let the Fear of my Past Run my Life, and I've seen a Demon. Feels kind of cheesy but with my roles I'll need all of them. I get 1,3,5,5,9,2 for a total of 1,1,1,1,2,2,3,5,5,5,9. I'm gonna have to take some fallout here.



    See:
    Eleazar stood dumbfounded as the demon landed before him. The foul thing laughs as it strikes him, the blow knocking Eleazar to the ground. The demon prepares to strike again but it suddenly hesitates at a voice it hears. "Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it." Eleazar looks around trying to find the speaker only to realize the words are coming from his own mouth.
    (Dice: 5,5,9) (Taking the Blow)
    Dice remaining (1,1,1,1,2,2,3,5)

    Neaden on
  • edited April 2009
    Raise
    Jacob was ready for this. He was ready from before he saw what his enemy looked like. By the time James Braxton had thrown the first punch, Jacob had already seen it coming and moved out of the way. He was also in a nice crouching position with his enemy wide open. Jacob swung his arm with full force up into James gut.
    Dice: 6, 4

    James Braxton
    (dice: 1 1 2 3 4 4 4 5)
    Hmm. I'll need some Traits! I get to add his demon Power of Ferocity 1d6 for, hey, a 1. Wonderful.

    See:
    With a roar, James Braxton stumbles backwards and falls onto his haunches. From inside, he feels a crack, and the wind is taken from him.
    (dice: 5 3 2) Taking the Blow

    Trait: "I can fight better than you can defend 1d10. I've gotten a 4. Fuck this, James Braxton will not go out like a bitch. I'm escalating to Gunfighting. Already rolled Will, so I roll Acuity: 1, 2, 2, 6, 6. Also, he pulls out his gun, for more dice: 4, and a 4!

    Raise:
    Grimacing, Braxton flings himself backwards, gliding back about six or seven yards by the time Brother Jacob has pulled himself back to stance. He whips his gun out, loaded and ready, and points the thing at the Dog. James lets out a frustrated screech and pulls the trigger, his eyes full of hate.
    (dice: 6 6)

    robotsunshine on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think It is my turn then? If not just ignore this.

    Since it's going to gun violence I might as well join in. Rolling Acuity, and I can Shoot A Varmit along with my rifle. for 2,3,1,3,4,6,3,2,4. This gives me a dice total of 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,3,3,3,3,4,4,5,6. I'm pretty well boned here.

    Raise:
    Suddenly Eleazar startled as he heard a shot. Not knowing if it was one of the Demons or his Brothers he instinctivly reached for his own rifle on his back. He quickly raised it up to firing position and sighted down the barrel at the Demon that was attacking him. Conscious that there was still a man he was shooting he aimed low at the Demons leg.
    (Dice: 3,4) (Raise)
    Dice remaining (1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,3,3,3,4,5,6)

    Neaden on
  • edited April 2009
    Neaden wrote: »
    I think It is my turn then? If not just ignore this.

    Since it's going to gun violence I might as well join in. Rolling Acuity, and I can Shoot A Varmit along with my rifle. for 2,3,1,3,4,6,3,2,4. This gives me a dice total of 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,3,3,3,3,4,4,5,6. I'm pretty well boned here.

    Raise:
    Suddenly Eleazar startled as he heard a shot. Not knowing if it was one of the Demons or his Brothers he instinctivly reached for his own rifle on his back. He quickly raised it up to firing position and sighted down the barrel at the Demon that was attacking him. Conscious that there was still a man he was shooting he aimed low at the Demons leg.
    (Dice: 3,4) (Taking The Blow)
    Dice remaining (1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,3,3,3,4,5,6)

    Hans Gerlach-Saye
    (dice: 4 4 5 6 6)

    See:
    Hans sees, in slow-motion, the mountain man grabbing his gun and aiming. He crouches down and leaps upwards, his coat soaring, to cling onto the side of the schoolhouse. Pulling himself up quickly, he scrambles along the side, to the edge, to scowl down at Brother Eleazar
    (dice: 4 4) Dodge / Block

    robotsunshine on
  • ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dice: (2,5,5,4,5,5,5)
    Trait: d10 I'm terrifying with a knife (7)
    See:

    Just as Jacob went to pull out his knife for the follow up, he unwittingly dodged the bullet. Literally.
    The motion of pulling out his knife caused him to move just enough that it missed him by centimeters.
    Dice: 7, 5

    ===
    For whenever it is appropriate:

    James Braxton is going to go down like a bitch.
    Dice: (2,5,5,4,5,5)
    Raise:

    Jacob charged forward, roaring as he did so with knife in hand. He jumped and came down upon the foul demon with the full force of his righteous fury and blade.
    Dice: 5, 5

    Shinyo on
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User
    edited April 2009
    Raise:
    Now that there's a little space between him and Tom Blue, Caleb quickly draws his pistol with his injured hand. "Submit to the Truth of the LORD," Caleb shouts, while he points his revolver at the possessed unbeliever's knee. "I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance, for attempting to poison and destroy my brothers and sisters!" He pulls the trigger, a grim look of determination on his boyish face.
    (Dice: 6 6)

    (Dice Remaining: 3 3 3 4 4 5 5 6)

    Kay2 on
  • edited April 2009
    Tom Blue
    See:
    The captain roars in anger at Brother Caleb's words, and takes the bullet right in the knee. He howls, crying out, and glides to a nearby cart, where he ducks for cover and sets to work ripping into his own leg, fishing the bullet out. He is held together by demonic force, and no wound from a mere man can damage him - punishment from one God's Watchdogs, however, is a different story. He tosses the bullet to the ground before looking up, wide-eyed, back to brother Jacob.

    His leg doesn't heal: it simply scabs over, thick and solid. He seems fine.
    (dice: 6 6) Block / Dodge

    Rolling dice for an improvised weapon: An old wooden Cart 1d8 for a 6!

    Raise:
    Tom Blue lifts the large cart over his head like a bodybuilder. He screams in frustration, and hurls the large wooden device straight at Brother Caleb.
    (dice: 4 4)

    (dice: 1 1 2 3 3 3 4 4 6 6)

    Hans Gerlach-Saye
    I'm rolling his Trait, "I am unflinching and persistent 2d8" for a beautiful 8 and 5.

    Raise:
    Hans leaps from the roof, tearing up shingles as he goes. He swipes rapidly, yet calmly at Brother Eleazar, clawing and scratching silently, desperately. His arms make big Whoosh! sounds in the air as they whip forward.
    (dice: 6 6)

    (dice: 5 5 8)

    James Braxton
    See:
    Braxton looks to see the cart being thrown at Brother Caleb, distracted by the large, heavy brown object hurtling through the air. He turns back to see Brother Jacob's knife heading straight for his face. He catches, right in the cheek, and howls, flinging over onto his back, knife sticking out, holy power singing the damned flesh around the wound. He twists and convulses, pawing frantically at the knife.
    (dice: 4 4 2) Taking the Blow

    Raise:
    From his spot on the ground, he turns onto his belly, staring up at Brother Jacob, blood going all down his face, the knife wound glowing, the actual knife still sticking out. The demon laughs, loud and strained, then lunges for the Dog's chest, vicious claws outstretched, still screaming and literally crying in pain as he does.
    (dice: 4 4)

    (dice: 1 1 1 4 4 4)

    robotsunshine on
  • ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dice: (2,5,5,4)
    Trait: 1d6 This righteous dog serves the lord - 3

    See:
    Jacob watches as James charges him. He calmly raises his hand, plalm outstretched, and makes the sign of the palm. "By the king of all life." Jacob then moves to the side at the last moment, as if dodging a bull.
    Dice: 3, 5

    ===

    Dice: (2, 5, 4)

    Raise:

    Jacob grabs the demon by the throat with the same hand he used to make the sign, and slowly starts to lift him up off of the ground.
    Dice: 5, 4

    Shinyo on
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User
    edited April 2009
    Invoking Belonging: Caleb's Coat - 2d8
    (Dice: 5, 8)

    (Dice Remaining: 3 3 3 4 4 5 5 5 6 8)

    See:
    As Brother Caleb sees Demon Tom raise the wagon above his head with inhuman strength, the Dog turns, spinning his brightly patterned coat with his off hand, causing the garment to open and twirl, drawing the unclean one's eyes in one direction, while the young man deftly rolls in the other, leaving his assailant off-balance for precious seconds.
    (Dice: 8 - Reversing the Blow)

    Raise:
    He doesn't even push himself to his feet, instead steadying himself on one knee while levelling his pistol across his forearm. Again, his fingers spread in the Sign of the Tree, a holy symbol alongisde the muzzle of a revolver presented to the demon. Brother Caleb speaks, while firing a quick trio of shots at the demon's chest. It's the larger target at this range.
    "In the Name of the King of Life,"
    *BANG!*
    "The Lord of All Things,"
    *BANG!*
    "And Almighty God,"
    *BANG*
    "GET YE BACK TO HELL, DEMON!"

    (Dice: 8, 5)

    (Dice Remaining: 3 3 3 4 4 5 5 6)

    Kay2 on
  • edited April 2009
    James Braxton
    For my Raise: James is almost out of this. He's rolling "I am eager to see the branch suffer 1d4" for a 4. And, as he's picked up off the ground, I'm escalating to Just Talking for 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 4. Ick.

    See:
    James Braxton is lifted up, gasping and choking - but he chooses not to claw and scrape, not to kick and swing. He feels the divine grip, and it sears him, and he giggles as it does.
    (dice: 4 4 1) Taking the Blow

    Raise:
    Lifted up, his throat squeezed and constricted, he stares deep into Brother Jacob's eyes, sending a shiver through the Dog's body. "This Branch will rot without us. Your efforts are in vain, Mutt. We came because we were summoned, not by mere whim. Your Faithful will finish the work we started." He chokes and sputters, drool sliding over his lower lip. "Cast me back to my master, so I may regroup, and gather in strength."
    (dice: 4 4)

    (dice: 1 1 1 2 2 3 4 4 4)

    robotsunshine on
  • ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dice: (2)
    Trait: 2d8 My Faith is Unshakable - 5, 8
    See:

    "That ain't the way it works. Ya think dogs don't have ways of preventing y'all from comin' back? I'd reckon it'd be awfully difficult to do much of anything with yer head cut off and mouth full of consecrated earth."
    Dice: 8

    Shinyo on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    OK, I'm going to roll for two possesions, my coat and my book of life rolling 3d6 for 2,6,6 Freaking Finally some good stuff. I now have 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,2,3,3,3,4,5,6,6,6. Soooo many 1's.

    See:
    The Demon moves faster then Eleazar can keep track of. Things that were once hands make contact with him but fail to do harm. Instead they hit through his coat and into the Book of Life that he keeps in front of his chest, where they become trapped
    (Dice: 6,6) (See)

    Raise:
    The demon is still to close for Eleazars long rifle to be brought to bear so he drops it. Quickly pulling out his knife he plunges it into the demons twisted elbow with both hands.
    (Dice: 5, 6)

    (Dice Remaining: 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,2,3,3,3)

    Neaden on
  • edited April 2009
    Neaden wrote: »
    OK, I'm going to roll for two possesions, my coat and my book of life rolling 3d6 for 2,6,6 Freaking Finally some good stuff. I now have 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,2,3,3,3,4,5,6,6,6. Soooo many 1's.

    See:
    The Demon moves faster then Eleazar can keep track of. Things that were once hands make contact with him but fail to do harm. Instead they hit through his coat and into the Book of Life that he keeps in front of his chest, where they become trapped
    (Dice: 6,6) (See)

    Raise:
    The demon is still to close for Eleazars long rifle to be brought to bear so he drops it. Quickly pulling out his knife he plunges it into the demons twisted elbow with both hands.
    (Dice: 5, 6)

    (Dice Remaining: 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,2,3,3,3)

    Hans Gerlach-Saye
    I'm rolling some traits, since he's about out of dice. The bad news, for me anyway, is that I'm not going to be able to get a lot of dice, so I'm hoping to make up for it with big dice!

    I'm rolling "My mortal shell is only a means to an end 2d8" = 3 and 8! Hans' dice are:

    (dice: 3 5 5 8 8)

    I'm going to try something here that's either really bold and smart, or about to get Hans killed!

    See:
    His lips quiver just the slightest, but he shows no indication of pain. He is definitely the quiet one among his demonic brothers. Reaching over just as fast, he grips the handle of the knife and wrenches it out, a long track of reddish-black, bubbling blood. The arm dangles limply - it is a tool, yet he is still bound to the needs of the flesh. With his good arm, he flings the knife to the side, preferring the natural blades of his fingers.
    (dice: 5 5 3) Taking the Blow

    (dice: 8 8)

    robotsunshine on
  • ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I escelate to gunfighting, so I'll roll (Accuty+Gun (2d6+2d4))
    Dice: (2, 4, 6, 4, 2)
    Raise:

    Jacob takes out his gun, puts it James' head, and pulls back the hammer. "It'd also be awfully difficult to move without the insides of yer head."
    Dice: 6, 4

    Shinyo on
  • edited April 2009
    Tom Blue
    I roll for a weapon for my raise, to get a 5.

    See:
    Three shots to the chest, blood going everywhere. Tom Blue falls to his knees, crying out in pain.
    (dice: 6 6 1) Taking the Blow

    Raise:
    Staggering up, he grabs a plank, bent nail poking out, and glides towards the Watchdog, swinging the plank at him. The nail itself is covered in fuzzy white frost.
    (dice: 4 4)

    (dice: 1 2 3 3 3)

    Hans Gerlach-Saye
    Hans rolls his last trait, "The King of Lies empowers me 2d10" in an attempt to finish Neaden off. 10 and 3.

    Raise:
    With his left hand, he grabs the mountain man by the throat, a mimicry of Brother Jacob's earlier action. With his right, he slashes for Eleazar's eyes.
    (dice: 8, 10)

    (dice: 3 8)

    James Braxton
    James is going to Give, and take his 4.

    Wounded and beaten, he goes limp against the gun. "It's your only choice. Shoot me. I won't leave this body otherwise." He licks his lips, slowly. "And when I come back, I'm going after your body."

    robotsunshine on
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User
    edited April 2009
    See:
    Brother Caleb takes a step back, easily dodging the slowed movements of the wounded demon.
    (Dice: 4, 4 - Dodge)

    Raise:
    The gunwielding Watchdog watches Tom, before having a sudden epiphany of faith.
    "Y'can't hurt me, Demon," Caleb says, mildly. "Not wi'th'King of All Life b'hind me."
    With that, Brother Dunn reaches out his left hand in the Sign of the Tree, and presses it against Tom's forehead firmly.
    "Submit, Tom Blue," Brother Caleb says, with authority and religious zeal. "Submit to the Lord's power."

    (Dice: 5, 5)

    (Dice Remaining: 3 3 3 6)

    Kay2 on
  • ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jacob smirks. "You just try it."

    He pulls the trigger and tosses the corpse to the ground. He then makes the sign of the palm and puts his hand onto James' chest. "By the word of this righteous Dog of the Lord, I command thee to return to the dark pit from whence you came!"

    Shinyo on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Eleazar moved his head forward suddenly, instead of the demons claws his head hits against it's wrist and arm, the blow knocking him unconscious.

    Eleazar Gives taking a 3.

    Neaden on
  • edited April 2009
    Tom and Hans both Give! Now let's look at Fallout. Hans keeps his 8, which will come in plenty handy.

    Looks like just Neaden got Fallout, but he got 3d8! So, Neaden, roll 3d8 and add together the two highest. Post it in the OOC thread, and then I'll post your Fallout list. We need to see what Fallout he takes first before we can move forward, in case he's seriously wounded and requires help. Feel free to dick around in the scene, though!

    Also, post what you do to your respective demons. The demons themselves are escaping, no way around that - but if you want to harm the bodies, you can. If not, assume they high-tail it out of Fort Lemon.

    The curtains draw back in the schoolhouse. Sister Sharon peeks out. Brother Peter and a few others, as well as some from nearby buildings - including Major Mitchell Jeffries, a grim looking Territorial Authority. He's scowling and cussing under his breath, rifling through his belongings. "Lemon told 'em! God dammit, he told 'em! No trouble!" he whispers to himself, searching through drawers.

    The crowds start to pour out, gazing curiously at the scene.

    "W-...w-well what happened?" One man asks.

    Another raises his fist in the air. "I tell ya what, God is with this Branch, and his soldiers stand right before us!"

    robotsunshine on
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User
    edited April 2009
    Brother Caleb's open palm presses firmly against Tom Blue's forehead, his fingers spread in the Sign of the Tree. "Ah said OUT, demon!" the Dog insists, pushing the possessed man to his knees.

    Tom grits his teeth as his skin starts to blacken and blister, before he hisses, "Not yet, mutt." The demon turns and flees in the presence of the Lord's power, channeled through three of his loyal servants.

    Kay2 on
  • ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jacob looks up at the growing crowd and motions to the writhing body of Tom Blue.
    "These men were possessed by demons."

    Shinyo on
  • edited April 2009
    Tom and Hans flee. Hans takes a shot square in the back and stumbles, before clambering behind a nearby house and disappearing into the night. They both move faster than horses.

    William Lemon comes up, slowly and quietly in the night. "What have you done? I said no trouble!" He looks to the body on the ground, and the wounded mountain man next to him. "What have you done?!"

    Without thinking, he steps past Brother Eleazar and to the corpse of James Braxton, a man he hardly knew.

    Mitchell Jeffries comes out into the street, gun in hand. The door slams behind him. He calls down after William - "Lemon! What happened?!" He puts one palm over the top of the gun and cocks it back, storming forward with great speed. "What them boys do, Lemon?!"

    From the crowd, a slow chant - "Praise be! Praise be!" Some of them witnessed the demons in their form, leaping and clawing, and the word has spread.

    Peter Anderson closes the door and hurries back upstairs to Sister Sharon. There is much shouting inside.

    Steward Asher stands next to Samuel Lutz. For the first time in weeks, they speak to each other. They both stare at the Dogs in wonder, knowing the solution to their respective problems has arrived.

    robotsunshine on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Still on the ground Eleazar suddenly grabs William Lemon's ankle. As the large man looks down the injured Dog begins to weakly pull himself up to standing height using Lemon's clothes and leaning heavily against the larger man, leaving a streak of blood up the Mountain Man's pants and jacket. Things better left forgotten stirred in Brother Eleazar's mind, mixing themselves up with recent events. The viciousness of the Demons, the insane cackling of the shaman, men being torn apart by things that should not live in this world, things let in by sin, by people, by us, by him. Most of all what he saw in Hans Gerlach-Saye's eyes. Hatred, pure hatred of everything, of him, of the world, of life itself, but even more horrifying he remembered the fear, the desperation and the powerlessness that was the last remnants of Hans Gerlach-Saye that was still there. He saw a hint of that fear and powerlessness in William Lemon's eyes now as he pulled himself level with the large man, standing on his own toes and spoke in a language he thought he had forgotten long ago.
    "What have you done? What have you let happen? What have you let in?"

    Neaden on
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User
    edited April 2009
    Brother Caleb moves to support Eleazar, both with a strong shoulder and soft words.
    "Demonds," Brother Dunn says. "Those deceived by the Prince of Lies, these poor unfortunates were consumed by his unholy power." As Caleb checks Brother Eleazar's body for more obvious wounds that require attention, he adds, "An' they attacked us, right here in the street."

    Caleb then nods to Jacob, before indicating the schoolhouse with a second tilt of his head. "Brother Jacob, we should..." he pauses, choosing his words carefully. "Check to see if Sister Sharon's alright. I can talk t'th'good people of the Fort, here."

    Kay2 on
  • edited April 2009
    Lemon matches Brother Eleazar's gaze, and his face goes pale, knuckles go white. He finally pulls away, as Jeffries comes up beside him.

    Lemon furrows his brow. "We had no problem until your kind arrived! Your Faith is destroying our home!" Jeffries cuts in, "An' who fired shots?! Which one o' you done killed one of my men?!" He lifts the gun, shoving it right in Brother Jacob's face. He's practically screaming at this point. "Get out! The three of you! Get out, or so help me I'll send you to hell with the rest o' yer 'demons!'"

    Steward Asher steps forward. "Brother Eleazar needs medical attention! He's been hurt by the demons!"

    And Jeffries calls out, "Ain't no demons, boy! You shut yer mouth or you can get yer people out as well!"

    There's more shouting inside the schoolhouse, and Sister Sharon pulls back the shade and looks down at the scene below. It's all muffled, but one thing comes in clear as day: "Peter, I DON'T KNOW!"

    Samuel Lutz calls from the crowd, "Praise be! Please, Brothers, come and talk to my wife next! Your divine work is not yet done! Please, Brothers!"

    And still the crowd shouts, "Praise be! Praise be!"

    robotsunshine on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "These men were possessed by Demons Lemon. You may not believe in the King of Life, you may not believe in the Faith, but you still know that there are Demons. And you know you can't kill them with bullets, you may not like us, you may hate us, but if you want to save your fort and your soul you need us."

    Neaden on
  • ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jacob practically snarls at Lemon, but he turns away to go see what's going on with the Sister Sharon. These demons certainly didn't come here on their own, and there's a strong indication that the source of all this heathenism is inside.

    He slams open the door to the bedroom where Sharon is and glares at her and whoever else is there. "I think it's just about time you told me more about what's been goin' on here."

    Shinyo on
  • edited April 2009
    William Lemon begins to speak, but Major Jeffries pushes past him, hoping he can intimidate Brother Eleazar. He places one palm on the top-back of the gun, gunslinger style, and holds it at an angle towards the ground. "Boy, I MEAN it. Y'all got but ten minutes to get yer stuff and get out."

    Lemon senses a rising panic as his men, the non-Faithful, start to grow curious and fill the streets. "Mitchell, hold. We asked for no trouble, and we will provide no trouble, unless they force our hand." He looks down at Brother Eleazar's blood on his clothes, and sees the wild, troubled look in the mountain man's eyes. Surely he must find the entire lot of them insane, with their talk of demons.

    "We will consult the spirits."

    Major Jeffries doesn't believe in that hogwash either, but he'll side with Lemon before any man.
    - - -

    Peter Anderson maneuvers to the back of the small group, and Sister Sharon maneuvers to the front in perfect unison.

    "I swear I didn't know, Brother Jacob! We saw it from the window! I didn't know, ain't none of us did! We ain't sinned, we's jus' trying to fix this Branch!"

    Peter calls out, "It's that Steward Asher's fault! Everything he does turns to dirt! Poisoned food, fires - he's cursed, I tell ya! Sister Sharon needs to LEAD this Branch-"

    Sharon gives him a look. "Peter, shut up!" And, almost as an afterthought, she adds with false intensity, "You know ain't no-.. ain't no lady c'n be Steward!" And she turns to look at Brother Jacob as if to ask, ...Can they?

    From the corner, there's a thud - seemingly of its own accord, someone's Book of Life has slid off a stool and fallen onto the floor.

    robotsunshine on
  • ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Steward Asher may be a bumbler, but there aint no ill intent with him." Jacob walks over and picks up the book, then turns back to Sister Sharon. "Now as for you, I'm still not sure. But the gossip in this town keeps leadin' back to you. You seem to be fixin' to out the Steward, and now it seems you've been associatin' with demons. It doesn't look too good fer you, miss. But I'm gonna hear you out. Why don't you start with where you found those 'men', and how you got all them marks up on ya?"

    Shinyo on
2
Sign In or Register to comment.