As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So I have a problem involving my router and the switch I just bought.

ArthilArthil Registered User regular
A bit of information before I get into my problem. For quite a long, long time I've had to deal with my router not really being able to work correctly. You see it would drop my connection at times and sometimes not come back up until everything had been reset. This makes me unable to connect to a website, and if I am playing a game that is connected to the internet, such as a MMORPG, it will generally drop my connection to the game. This seems to happen more often when more than one person is actually using the router, if the only other person who is even connected to it uses their computer while I am playing a game it will disconnect me repeatedly within a 30-minute time frame, and sometimes even worse than that.

It was the fact that a day or so ago my internet connection altogether stopped working regardless of how many times we reset the modem and router, thankfully it did start working again, that made me want to go out and find a replacement. That was earlier today but I have a feeling I purchased the wrong product. Now I had gotten someone in the store to help me and told them my situation as I have just told to you, I mentioned that the router we have is a Linkys. After a bit of talking he showed us a product that actually didn't say it was a router, on the box it says that it is a Workgroup Switch. Now I've done a bit of digging for information about what that is, and it makes me believe that he may have suggested it because it would solve our problem.

That is why I am coming to you guys, we found out that you do not connect directly into the Switch but you must connect your router to it as well. If we do this will it actually fix the problem we were having? Or should the Workgroup Switch be returned and we purchase an actual router?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
Arthil on

• Options
    MoradethMoradeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    An actual router would be just as good, what's the model number? I may be able to help more. Also what kind of internet connection do you have? Many modems now are routers as well as the modem.

On your computer you can try this, if you open a command prompt type "ipconfig", if your IP shows that it's a "192.168.x.x" number then your switch or modem has a DHCP server running. Really you could set your computer to be a DHCP server and run your network that way. But generally newer routers have built in switches, it's not a big deal as long as you dont need more than 4 wired devices on the network.

Moradeth on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well to put it simply this Router is ancient, kind of like the computer. Five or six years old at least, and the modem is quite old as well. On the model number, did you mean for the router I have now or the Switch that I purchased?

Arthil on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You say you have a modem, what kind of internet service do you have? ADSL? Cable?

When the internet drops out, does resetting the modem fix the problem, even if you do not reset the router? Or if you just reset the router, does the internet come back? Finally, does it actually require you to power cycle both of them, not just one or the other?

If:

A) Your modem acts like a router (manages network traffic, gives you an IP address) and
    B) Your modem is not the problem with your internet connection dropping out, but your router is

then a switch is a good buy. Otherwise the guy at the store misunderstood you/didn't have enough information and sold you the wrong product.

If you can plug your switch directly into your modem, remove the router, plug your PC into the switch, and successfully get on the internet, then things are okay. The only caveat is if the modem is actually the device that is dropping your internet connection, then the same problem will obviously occur.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I cannot connect directly to the switch from the modem, as I said the modem is... old. My internet is a DSL connection as well. Now one thing I should mention is that when it say kicks me off a game it doesn't mean that the internet always goes out, that is not the case. It's just that it will disconnect for long enough to actually kick me off of the game. My internet not working whatsoever is rare, though tends to be fixed by resetting the router.

I'm not certain whether the modem has the capability of a router, it very likely does not. As I mentioned it is six years old and it seems like a very basic one. I suppose I could just connect the router to the Switch and then everything into the Switch to see if it actually helps with the problem. I wanted to check and get some information from you guys before I did this though since I'd need to go and dig up another ethernet cable.

I'll admit I am not sure if it may be the modem dropping the connection either, since if I connect directly to the modem I don't actually connect to the internet, instead I get a page for the settings of the modem in my browser.

Arthil on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A workgroup switch is not what you want. You want a real router.

Also, your internet should work if you directly connect to the modem I would think.

I have this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320023

Which you can put dd-wrt firmware on and I like it. Linksys also makes good routers, as does Buffalo.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MoradethMoradeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    A workgroup switch is not what you want. You want a real router.

Also, your internet should work if you directly connect to the modem I would think.

I have this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320023

Which you can put dd-wrt firmware on and I like it. Linksys also makes good routers, as does Buffalo.

Eh... there's a pretty serious security dd-wrt bug out there right now that has yet to be fixed...

Yes the internet will work if you connect directly to your modem, it will only work for 1 computer/device (xbox 360/PS3). You will just need to reset the modem every time you connect it directly to a different device. Although some modems do require you to authenticate against them, or I have seen an older modem require you to hard set an IP address which is an annoying fix.

If you buy a router it will come with a short ethernet cord so you shouldnt have to worry about that, just remember to plug the modem into the WLAN port then connect your switch to the router, any of the other 4 ports should be fine. (hey maybe it's a good time to add wireless! :) )

Moradeth on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Moradeth wrote: »
    Eh... there's a pretty serious security dd-wrt bug out there right now that has yet to be fixed...

Any more info on this?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

You're only vulnerable to psyb0t if you allow remote administration via WAN-side access (not the default configuration), and even if that's enabled if you picked a good password you're fine.

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Djeet wrote: »

You're only vulnerable to psyb0t if you allow remote administration via WAN-side access (not the default configuration), and even if that's enabled if you picked a good password you're fine.

Oh, I had heard about that. Not really an issue for me, nor should it be for anyone who gives two shits about creating a half-decent password.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    From the looks of it you guys are sure I should get a new router, I'll return the Switch to Best Buy then. I had no intention of keeping it, unless... well, if using the switch at the same time will have a nice performance boost. I've also seen that you can easily move files between what you have connected to a switch, which would make it easier to get music onto my Xbox 360.

I may decide to keep it, after all it was only $30.

Arthil on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Most routers also function as a switch so no you don't need to keep it. Look at the pictures on the router box. If the back of the router has a WAN port as well as 4 or more LAN ports then it has a switch built in. If the router only has 2 ports on the back, avoid it.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Almost all "home office" (I.E. shit for your house) routers are also switches now days - hence the physical ports on them. You might as well get a wifi one while you're at, just so you have it. The router portion handles the WAN connection (out to the world/Internet/ISP) and things like NAT, while the switch handles all of the connections within your LAN (home network). I picked this up for real cheap from Circuit City before they went belly-up:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8305568&type=product&id=1173577562535

The 802.11n insures that I can literally browse the web on my laptop down the street (no exaggeration - the signal range is absurdly long, I wish my iPhone supported n) and it has a very recent firmware update that literally corrected all of the connection problems I was having with my Cox connection before I replaced my old router/switch.

It's also very customizable, and I used one at my fiance's house to connect to her DSL connection and it picked up every minute detail and setting of her connection in a minute. It's extremely easy to set up.

Teth on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm not so sure about getting a wifi router. Would probably just stick to a wired router, mostly since everything isn't really mine and I'm not sure how difficult it would be to set up. I mean I'd figure for Wifi you'd require something completely different than cables and all that, which would require buying other things along with the router. We aren't looking to upgrade... just to ditch the piece of shit we have that isn't doing it's job right.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Arthil wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about getting a wifi router. Would probably just stick to a wired router, mostly since everything isn't really mine and I'm not sure how difficult it would be to set up. I mean I'd figure for Wifi you'd require something completely different than cables and all that, which would require buying other things along with the router. We aren't looking to upgrade... just to ditch the piece of shit we have that isn't doing it's job right.

A wifi router will also have 4 LAN ports in the back - you can use it the exact same way as your wired router, but you have the added benefit of wireless if somebody has a laptop, etc. All you have to do is just set up security on the wireless portion (easily done through the router's browser interface) so that people can't steal your wifi.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sounds kind of useless then. No one in this house will ever own a laptop really, considering the best computer we have is from 2002.

Arthil on
  • Options
    TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Arthil wrote: »
    Sounds kind of useless then. No one in this house will ever own a laptop really, considering the best computer we have is from 2002.

Never say never, also very convenient for consoles, your PSP (if applicable), cell phones that can use wifi, etc. It's the same price in most cases, might as well give it a go. Besides, you can always opt to disable the wifi connection until you want it.

Teth on