As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Under 10 overdraft becomes 200

SamSam Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Bank phone jockeys refuse to return any fees. total od is under 10 and they've turned it into negative 190 balance.
phone chain is a runaround.

Is there nothing to be done?

Sam on
«1

Posts

  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Go to your bank and ask to speak to some one directly.

    Chances are that they won't take all the fees off, but they'll probably cut some of them.

    Kyougu on
  • wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You're leaving off the important part of the story in which "$10 overdraft" leaves home, comes of age, and returns to the village older, wiser, and $190 more expensive. What additional fees are you being charged beyond the $10 overdraft and your $25 overdraft penalty?

    wasted pixels on
    BTW, I got a message from Obs that equated installing OS X on a PC with car theft, murder and rape. Is he normally like that?
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You're leaving off the important part of the story in which "$10 overdraft" leaves home, comes of age, and returns to the village older, wiser, and $190 more expensive. What additional fees are you being charged beyond the $10 overdraft and your $25 overdraft penalty?

    Late posted ATM fee: $2
    iTunes:$0.99
    coca cola vending machine:$1.25x3

    each yields a 35 fee.

    Sam on
  • RetoxRetox Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, each overdraft is a fee. A couple years ago I had $20.00 worth of little purchases cost me $150 in overdraft fees. It's a bummer but I doubt there's anything you can do about it. (There was nothing I could do about it when it happened to me.)

    Retox on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You'll be lucky to get one knocked off as a courtesy.

    Also, add overdraft protection to keep this from happening again.

    VisionOfClarity on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    You'll be lucky to get one knocked off as a courtesy.

    Also, add overdraft protection to keep this from happening again.

    They charge you every time overdraft protection is used. You get equally fucked with a different name.

    Doc on
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    $175 for $6.75 though?

    Is this not consumerist material?

    Sam on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sam wrote: »
    $175 for $6.75 though?

    Is this not consumerist material?

    Not really. It's sadly a common, accepted practice.

    Kyougu on
  • JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User
    edited March 2009
    It's not. It happens a lot.

    For what it's worth, I had $400 of overdraft fees on about $200 refunded from Bank of America. I used the wrong card over the weekend without noticing it. I had never overdrafted before and I held firm that I would be closing my account if they didn't refund all of the overdraft fees. They initially offered to refund half, but called back a week later offering full, as soon as I paid off the original debt.

    Bottom line - if you've been a good customer, stay firm and be prepared to follow through.

    JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Doc wrote: »
    You'll be lucky to get one knocked off as a courtesy.

    Also, add overdraft protection to keep this from happening again.

    They charge you every time overdraft protection is used. You get equally fucked with a different name.

    They charge you $5 instead of $35. Your definition of "equally" is flawed.

    admanb on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I once incurred a variety of overdraft charges as a result of depositing a check that bounced. Similar situation in the sense of the actual money spent being trivial compared to the amount of the fines.

    The people at banks seem to have discretion to waive this stuff; I went in and made a little noise about it, and all of the fines were removed.

    It helped that I was a responsible customer though, and that by the time I'd even received notice of the overdraft fines I had already deposited another check that covered the balance.

    Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't know if all banks do this but in the future consider creating a savings account tied to your checking and always keep a spare $50-100 in there for overdrafts. My bank lets me do this so it just automatically deducts from my savings account if I overdraft.

    saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    admanb wrote: »
    Doc wrote: »
    You'll be lucky to get one knocked off as a courtesy.

    Also, add overdraft protection to keep this from happening again.

    They charge you every time overdraft protection is used. You get equally fucked with a different name.

    They charge you $5 instead of $35. Your definition of "equally" is flawed.

    Because your bank has the same fees as everywhere, right?

    My bank used to charge $20 for both, though I never used either.

    Doc on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    didn't some similar shit happen recently to that taco bell guy? He was charged 120 dollars at a Taco Bell instead of 12, and so he was overdrawn. But he kept using the card and getting reamed up the ass, and by the end of the day, he was super in debt.

    cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Doc wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    Doc wrote: »
    You'll be lucky to get one knocked off as a courtesy.

    Also, add overdraft protection to keep this from happening again.

    They charge you every time overdraft protection is used. You get equally fucked with a different name.

    They charge you $5 instead of $35. Your definition of "equally" is flawed.

    Because your bank has the same fees as everywhere, right?

    My bank used to charge $20 for both, though I never used either.


    Well, to be fair, you presented your initial comment as though your bank was the same as everywhere

    (I love you doc)

    the way my debit account works, is I have a 500 limit credit card account attached to the same number so that if I go negative, it's automatically charged to the credit account - I have a pretty good buffer there provided I pay it by the end of the month.

    JohnnyCache on
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Doc wrote: »
    You'll be lucky to get one knocked off as a courtesy.

    Also, add overdraft protection to keep this from happening again.

    They charge you every time overdraft protection is used. You get equally fucked with a different name.

    Eh, I use USBank and I have a credit line with them for 4000$, costs me nearly nothing and I can transfer the money freely between my accounts. If I overdraw my checking account, they charge me 6$ and transfer funds to the nearest 100$ to cover the charge.

    Might be worth looking in to.

    edit: You can also usually just apply for a credit card from that bank and they will do the same thing, see JC above me.

    edit2: the line of credit has been very helpful when I am short hours or something and need to pay rent. You just can't go crazy. It's a patch not free money. The interest is 7% for me.

    dispatch.o on
  • WylderneedshelpWylderneedshelp Registered User
    edited March 2009
    Man, what the fuck is wrong with your banks. If I don't have money in my account, my transactions get declined. No harm, no foul.

    Is this not the very definition of logical? I suppose I don't live in America though.


    Edit: Sorry, thats not really advice. I'd probably go complain face to face like other people have said.

    Wylderneedshelp on
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, what the fuck is wrong with your banks. If I don't have money in my account, my transactions get declined. No harm, no foul.

    Is this not the very definition of logical? I suppose I don't like in America though.

    You can do this, but you have to call your bank and argue with them to disable this "feature" which allows charges to go through for the "service fee" (overdraft). There are laws being discussed right now to make this an opt-in rather than opt-out service in the name of consumer protection.

    I read an article the other day that talked about who is lobbying for what, obviously banks are for the "service" being standard as they made more than 9 billion dollars off it last year.

    dispatch.o on
  • necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Welcome to how banks make their real money.

    You can go to the branch and plead your case, but you're at the whim of whatever branch manager you happen to get. If you've been a long-standing customer with a good account and haven't ever had this happen before, you're in pretty good shape. If you commonly overdraft or you haven't had your account very long, prepare to be reamed.

    necroSYS on
    There's no point in you getting both of yourselves all worked up and ready to chart the undiscovered country, then having her flush crimson red, run to the bathroom, and spend twenty minutes straining and grunting and stressing out because you're all ready to deliver your package but there's a three inch thick Sunday paper clogging up the mail slot.
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Doc wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    Doc wrote: »
    You'll be lucky to get one knocked off as a courtesy.

    Also, add overdraft protection to keep this from happening again.

    They charge you every time overdraft protection is used. You get equally fucked with a different name.

    They charge you $5 instead of $35. Your definition of "equally" is flawed.

    Because your bank has the same fees as everywhere, right?

    My bank used to charge $20 for both, though I never used either.

    Just because your bank sucks it doesn't mean it's not worth checking out for him. For most people it's better to have it than not.

    VisionOfClarity on
  • In Starscream We TrustIn Starscream We Trust Registered User
    edited March 2009
    I would go to the bank and plead your case. If you've been with the bank for a while, and this is your first overdraft, they may be lenient. Also, do you have another account with them with money in it? Last time I overdrafted I had plenty of money in my savings account, so the combination of all three put me in a good position to have the fee waved.

    In Starscream We Trust on
    tf2_sig.png
    9dominations-1.jpg
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I did ask phone support to disenroll me from "courtesy pay"

    The "associate" claimed that the bank has its own force-pay systems that are confidential and non-optional and my only option was to cancel the debit card if I didn't want it.

    Sam on
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I would go to the bank and plead your case. If you've been with the bank for a while, and this is your first overdraft, they may be lenient. Also, do you have another account with them with money in it? Last time I overdrafted I had plenty of money in my savings account, so the combination of all three put me in a good position to have the fee waved.

    it's not my first overdraft, but whenever it's happened I've paid them, and I've never had more than 1 item, so I never really cared.

    Sam on
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've only ever gotten up to 25% removed. It happens to me a lot :( Not good for credit, as I understand.

    1ddqd on
  • NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    the way my debit account works, is I have a 500 limit credit card account attached to the same number so that if I go negative, it's automatically charged to the credit account - I have a pretty good buffer there provided I pay it by the end of the month.

    Some cards will automatically hike your interest rate if you take advantage of that feature, so you still get screwed.

    Nisi on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Not to add salt to the wound, but I always wonder how people got so close to the edge of having a zero balance and still decide to use their card.

    If you haven't, definately get Quicken or any of that type of program that keeps track of your balance. It's a godsend for me.

    noir_blood on
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »
    If you haven't, definately get Quicken or any of that type of program that keeps track of your balance. It's a godsend for me.

    For OS X, I swear by MoneyWell. Totally awesome.

    Echo on
    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Can anyone recommend a bank that does not actively shaft customers? It is not a big deal for a bank to not charge 175 for vending machine purchases, and they are obviously lying about NSF courtesy payment (if you have 500 in your account you can't make a purchase for 800- and your card will decline, even at the same vending machine if you already have NSF fees, so obviously there is nothing stopping them from declining your card at a vending machine if you have less than $1.25. Yet the service reps LIE through their fucking TEETH.

    Can anyone advise on how to make them cut the bullshit?

    as in, it's ILLEGAL to force customers into using an overdraft program as opposed to declining all insufficient funds (which is NOT hard)

    Sam on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sam wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a bank that does not actively shaft customers?

    Your mattress. I understand you're upset, but EVERY bank does this.
    Sam wrote:
    It is not a big deal for a bank to not charge 175 for vending machine purchases, and they are obviously lying about NSF courtesy payment (if you have 500 in your account you can't make a purchase for 800- and your card will decline, even at the same vending machine if you already have NSF fees, so obviously there is nothing stopping them from declining your card at a vending machine if you have less than $1.25. Yet the service reps LIE through their fucking TEETH.

    Can anyone advise on how to make them cut the bullshit?

    as in, it's ILLEGAL to force customers into using an overdraft program as opposed to declining all insufficient funds (which is NOT hard)

    It's not illegal. It's a service they offer. It just happens to be a service that fucks you.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    Sam wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a bank that does not actively shaft customers?

    Your mattress. I understand you're upset, but EVERY bank does this.
    Sam wrote:
    It is not a big deal for a bank to not charge 175 for vending machine purchases, and they are obviously lying about NSF courtesy payment (if you have 500 in your account you can't make a purchase for 800- and your card will decline, even at the same vending machine if you already have NSF fees, so obviously there is nothing stopping them from declining your card at a vending machine if you have less than $1.25. Yet the service reps LIE through their fucking TEETH.

    Can anyone advise on how to make them cut the bullshit?

    as in, it's ILLEGAL to force customers into using an overdraft program as opposed to declining all insufficient funds (which is NOT hard)

    It's not illegal. It's a service they offer. It just happens to be a service that fucks you.

    I like www.usbank.com the site, and by extension seem to do pretty well keeping track of my balance. Though I've got a credit card with them and a line of credit, so I don't know how the overdraft thing would go. I do suggest you check into it with whatever bank you use.

    dispatch.o on
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    Your mattress. I understand you're upset, but EVERY bank does this.

    Not every bank. If I don't have enough money in my debit account it declines, and that's that. The only time I incur charges is when I have an automatic payment come out and I don't have the funds, and then I get charged by the bank AND the one trying to take the money.

    Ex: One time my car insurance company went to take their monthly premium out and I was like 3 dollars short. I forgot I had used the card for another bill the week before. My bank charged me $40 and the insurance company charged me $40. I paid double my insurance that month :P

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    Your mattress. I understand you're upset, but EVERY bank does this.

    Not every bank. If I don't have enough money in my debit account it declines, and that's that. The only time I incur charges is when I have an automatic payment come out and I don't have the funds, and then I get charged by the bank AND the one trying to take the money.

    Ex: One time my car insurance company went to take their monthly premium out and I was like 3 dollars short. I forgot I had used the card for another bill the week before. My bank charged me $40 and the insurance company charged me $40. I paid double my insurance that month :P

    Yes. Debit transactions are credited immediately. But, here's the thing... your debit card ALSO works as a credit card, and they can take up to a week or two to show up on your account. Your account is no different. But if you aren't using your debit card as a credit card also, then you don't have anything to worry about.

    Of course, this makes sense. If you buy a pizza using your debit card, then put a tip on it, what do you think happens? Do you think that the piece of paper you put the tip on is magic, and it gets deducted from your account automatically? No. It's run like a credit card and it gets deducted when the company puts it in... actually, a while after that.

    This is not rocket science.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh you crazy Americans... I just realized that major difference.

    Up in here Canada, we don't have to worry about our debit cards also being credit cards. Then again, we do have to worry about cats chasing dogs and hamburgers eating people. Opposite land and all.

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    Oh you crazy Americans... I just realized that major difference.

    Up in here Canada, we don't have to worry about our debit cards also being credit cards. Then again, we do have to worry about cats chasing dogs and hamburgers eating people. Opposite land and all.

    You are truly a blessed people.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sam wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a bank that does not actively shaft customers?
    Credit Union. Best bank ever. Find out if you're eligible for one.

    saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    When you joined up with that card, the contract probably notifies you will be charged overdraft and you can opt out of it.

    And not to be a dick, but maybe you should switch over to just spending cash on your daily transactions. You'll never fuck yourself like this with cash because once you don't have enough? you don't have enough.

    starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    When you joined up with that card, the contract probably notifies you will be charged overdraft and you can opt out of it.

    And not to be a dick, but maybe you should switch over to just spending cash on your daily transactions. You'll never fuck yourself like this with cash because once you don't have enough? you don't have enough.

    ATM Fees.

    Sam on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sam wrote: »
    When you joined up with that card, the contract probably notifies you will be charged overdraft and you can opt out of it.

    And not to be a dick, but maybe you should switch over to just spending cash on your daily transactions. You'll never fuck yourself like this with cash because once you don't have enough? you don't have enough.

    ATM Fees.

    Your bank charges ATM Fees? Do you bank with a loan shark?

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    Sam wrote: »
    When you joined up with that card, the contract probably notifies you will be charged overdraft and you can opt out of it.

    And not to be a dick, but maybe you should switch over to just spending cash on your daily transactions. You'll never fuck yourself like this with cash because once you don't have enough? you don't have enough.

    ATM Fees.

    Your bank charges ATM Fees? Do you bank with a loan shark?

    No, my bank has only one ATM in town, so anywhere else will incur a fee. Lack of a car aggravates this.

    Sam on
  • mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    go to your bank

    Talk to them

    Hell, everytime I've been slugged fees that I didn't think were just, I went to my bank, and they refunded them.

    If you're getting fucked in the ass, change banks

    At least that's what it's like here.

    mooshoepork on
Sign In or Register to comment.