As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need help with HDTV and PC 120Hz!

1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
Hi all! Usually I post advice, but here I'm asking thoughts/opinions.

I have a LG 47LG70 - it's 1080p, 120hz. Everything I play it on normally gets the 120hz treatment, but when I hook up a PC through the VGA port, it's 60Hz. I know that PCs on LCD refresh at 60Hz, but shouldn't it be able to detect the TV and update accordingly?

Also, I have a HDMI port on the PC - will this translate the 120Hz goodness to my tv?

1ddqd on

• Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    1ddqd wrote: »

I have a LG 47LG70 - it's 1080p, 120hz. Everything I play it on normally gets the 120hz treatment, but when I hook up a PC through the VGA port, it's 60Hz. I know that PCs on LCD refresh at 60Hz, but shouldn't it be able to detect the TV and update accordingly?

Also, I have a HDMI port on the PC - will this translate the 120Hz goodness to my tv?

AFAIK, 120Hz TVs don't advertise their 120Hz capability externally - they just take whatever source they're given (24Hz, 30Hz, 60Hz) and display it at 120Hz using frame-doubling/interleaving/etc. They're still limited to 60 fps, progressive. I don't know of one yet that will take 120 individual full frames per second and render them as such.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    1ddqd wrote: »

As PeregrineFalcon said, most 120hz TV's - particularly LCD's - do not actually accept 120hz as a refresh rate. The only real benefit you'll see when hooking a PC up to a 120hz LCD is that you could use 24hz as the refresh rate to avoid jutter when watching films on the PC. (If you don't see 24hz listed as an option when it's connected by VGA, give HDMI a try - I can use 24hz as my refresh rate on my Samsung ln40a650 connected by HDMI.)

Clipse on