As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Godfather II : Grand Theft Don

DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr DigitalCumming, GARegistered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
GOD FATHER 2

So whats the deal?

I haven't heard much buzz from friends or on any of the forums I frequent. Even EA's forums are rather quiet about this game.

It is almost like they don't people to know this game is coming out APRIL 7, 2009

Don's View:
The Don's View

Be a true Don as you coordinate all the action using a 3D world map: survey your turf, place defenses on businesses, analyze crime patterns, identify new illicit racket monopolies, and choose the target of your next attack. As the Don of a family, there are a ton of great strategic choices to makein the Godfather 2 while you take on the action --for now, we'll focus on Monopolies.

Monopolies are a grouping of rackets that "run" the same criminal activity. Controlling (and defending) a monopoly comes with both a monetary bonus and game perk benefits making them key to owning the map, gaining wealth and amassing power. Monopolies can be local to one city or span across the cities. Larger monopolies made up of many targets, spanning multiple cities are obviously more difficult but offer greater rewards. Some rackets inclde: · Fronts: These are the extortable legitimate businesses of the game. In addition to their extortion payout they also launder money.

· Small Rackets: These are venues containing an illegal criminal activity and usually disguised as something legitimate.

· Medium Racket: At this level the racket is operating at a large scale, and so it has many guards. Penetrating these venues requires at least 2 crew members to get the job done. Defending the venue takes some substantial muscle.

· Large Rackets: The largest of the racket nodes, these venues (although few) bring in massive amounts of cash. They require a full crew to get the job complete. A small army is required to successfully defend a hub once it is owned.

Monopoly Connections Revealed
In addition to map views, players can get in-game information on monopoly connections whenever they take over a venue. When taking over a venue in a monopoly all connected venues in the monopoly will be revealed to the player. The number of controlled venues in the monopoly are displayed along with the monopoly monetary benefits and perks.

Act Like A Mobster:
Act Like a Mobster, Think Like a Don

Relive the greatest moments from The Godfather II in an open-world action experience inspired by the movie.

Your goal is to create the wealthiest and most powerful mob family in America. You can accomplish this by extorting and taking control of all illegal rackets, businesses, and black market smuggling rings in the game – if you need to resort to a little violence along the way, well, it's only business.

A major mob meeting in Havana goes awry on the night of the Cuban revolution. The Don of your in New York City is killed, forcing the player to assume leadership of a tattered organization... Do you have what it takes?

In addition to New York, the game will also take you to Florida and Cuba. Each has its own unique set of unlockable content and rewards, such as weapons, cars, clothing, and other upgrades, as well as unique

challenges. More than just visual diversity and unique unlocks, these cities are a living and breathing environments. In this living world, rival families run the show. The rival families share the same goal as you, and dynamically push back against the your advances. No longer are you trying to complete advancement in a static world -The Godfather 2 is dynamic and reactive, families react with complex "countermoves" based on the players actions and leveraging very human behaviors like revenge and coercion. Remember its only business.

Command your Crew:
In The Godfather I, you played a single character working your way up through the Corleone Ranks. In Godfather II, you start as the boss of your own organization. Your empire may start off small but you are still a formidable Don. As you progress your family size and hierarchy will expand and you will decide who to recruit, promote and even remove within the family.

In time you will invest, customize and develop these characters into diverse tools and weapons for your arsenal. Your men possess exclusive skills and specialties that can be taken into battle. Each Made Man will be responsible for their actions and will even serve jail time if caught red handed.

As head of the family, you call the shots and work to build your family into America's most powerful crime syndicate.

Family Composition and Growth

The number of members your family can hold is based on your game progress. In the beginning your family size is limited to a single Soldier and yourself As you progress, the game will reward and prompt you to recruit additional family members until you have reached the maximum family size.

There are six ranks within each family, starting with the Don. As the Don you will have a right hand man, your Consigliere Tom Hagen. Your Consigliere will teach you the ropes and advise you on how to take down the other families.

The rest of your family is comprised of an Underboss, Capos, Soldiers and Associates. These are the men who guard your interests and follow your orders without question. Direct them wisely and upgrade them to develop their specialties and increase the power of your organization.

Of course, each rival family has it’s own family tree as well. Learning how to hunt down and permanently eliminate their made men will be critical to your success.

God Father II Multiplayer:
Take Your Family Online

Play The Godfather II online multiplayer modes and become the true Don of Dons. Take your money, weapons, and crew from your single-player experience online and wage mob warfare against players around the world. Play as one of your family’s Made Men and put your best strategies to the test as you battle for riches and honors that transfer back and forth between your single-player campaign.

Features

• Take Your Family Online—Select crew members and their specialties from your single-player game to be taken online.

• Fire Starter Game Mode—Arsonist crew members attempt to destroy as much as possible in a race to reach the scoring limit.

• Safe Cracker Mode – Safe cracker crew members attempt to find safes throughout the map. Cracking them earns your team points and money.

• Demolition Assault Mode – Use your demolitions specialty to destroy the enemy’s three assault points.

• Team Deathmatch – The bloodiest mode! Team with most kills wins.

• Online Honors—Earn unique upgrades that give your crew access to special weapon upgrades in both single-player and multiplayer modes.

Screenshots:
Adding later.

PLATFORMS:
PC
Xbox 360
PS3

So what gives? Is no one going to play this game? SPEAK!

~

Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
PSNID: DigitalX86
Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
DigitalSyn on

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've seen preview boxes for this game at Best Buy for awhile now, but I've never really paid much attention to it. It sounds like it may have potential, though often games which try to incorporate such very different genres into gameplay have a high chance of screwing up all those different genres and resulting in a mediocre game at best.

But, who knows? If it's solid and gets some good press upon release, I'd probably snatch it right up, because it's been a long time since I played a good mobster game.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ooooh. Looks interesting. Was the first one even any good?

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    No Wii version?

Wasn't the Wii version of the previous game really good?

LewieP on
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    having a max size on the crew sort of sucks, but what I really want to know is can they suffer permanent death? This is an absolute must in my eyes here. When perma death is involved the jobs carry that emotional weight to them. Lose your best thug and now revenge means something, vendettas have weight.

please someone know the answer here.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This reminds me of the Galactic Conquest mode in Star Wars Battlefront II, only expanded into a full game. This is a good thing, because I played the hell out of some Galactic Conquest.

If it's a good game, I'll probably buy it eventually, Godfather-videogame-license-reservations notwithstanding.

Renzo on
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    also with your crew is there some kind of Loyalty meter? Can I pay off another family's thug to betray them? Are my men completely loyal to me? How does your blood related family grow? Is there a some kind of random family births? Do other mobs try and whack my family members (wives, kids, etc.) so my immediate family can't expand?

I think blood relatives would be awesome here with the some of the ideas above. They'd always be the most loyal with the rare exception of a Fredo!!!! But that would really add to the story and drama of everything.

The more I think of this game the more I doubt game mechanics I am mentioning even exist in this game. Oh well, I can dream I guess.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I loved the original but there wasn't anything to do once you did all the side missions (unlike most sandbox games).

I also hope the customizability is a little bit better. MobFace was OK but I got tired of wearing business suits all the time.

Duffel on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The first title was really pretty damn good. I expect the sequel to be enjoyable as well.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I loved the first game, I just hope your threats and the lines from the merchants are more varied this time around.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think they are raising the bar a little bit here, since Mafia 2 is also slated to be released this year. I think I will pick this game up for the PC, and save myself a few bucks, as all new console games are $60

DigitalSyn on
    Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • Options
    Golden LegGolden Leg Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The Wii version of the original Godfather game is a lot of fun. Here's to hoping G2 gets a good port. If the controls for the PC version are any good, I might consider buying this early.

Golden Leg on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    It looks good but this game seems to have had 0 promotion and so I imagine its going to be terrible.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I love the first game, the RPG elements were cool. This new one looks a little...odd.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Golden Leg wrote: »
    The Wii version of the original Godfather game is a lot of fun. Here's to hoping G2 gets a good port. If the controls for the PC version are any good, I might consider buying this early.

Yeah, I really liked the Wii Godfather game, despite everything telling me it was going to suck

But this isn't gonna be 1940's and 50's gangsters, so it's harder for me to care

Also all this talk about Don Vision and all that shit sounds pretty lame, to be completely honest

But maybe I'll pick up a Wii version if it gets released

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So,is this going to be release on PC?

AdditionalPylons on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So I can see why this is getting no promotion/big previews
    Its bad.

Honestly it is just bad. Its like playing Mafia 1, except that its exactly the same as Mafia 1 just released in 2009.

It takes place over 3 areas so you have small hubs instead of a wide open city and they are tiny, tiny hubs. Each area is dull and uninspired.

Textures are bland and there is no detail to the world at all, archways are perfectly edged, they LOOK like they've been modelled instead of the kind of detail people have come to expect from even lesser modern games.

The story is very boring, by the end you won't care about your or any other character any more than you did at the start.

Essentially the entire game is just rinse and repeat, go here, take over everything, go kill boss, go to 10.

Your family can't die permanently, death is just handled by a period of recovery time.

Guns are limited, you get upgrades for them but they're pretty tame and only the sniper rifle has any kind of actual stopping power.

There are about 3 different side missions, sabotage, kill and beat up, I think theres a steal one in there to. People will be on the street, you stop them, get a mission, do it, takes all of 2 minutes in exchange for cash.

The Don's View doesn't really let you micro manage or anything. Essentially it provides a resource for all family information and lets you hire guards for properties. Other than that its just used to send out your family to retake, defend or assault other businesses.

Combat is easy, you can die quickly on your own but I managed to take over a business against 30 soldiers on my own and 30 is the highest I saw in there. But with a medic on your team which you can get from the start? You're invincible. Only died because I drove into the water.

Controls are weak, camera is all over the place and targeting is poor with no lock-on.

Very, very few vehicles. I don't know if thats authentic or not but it doesnt make for fun gameplay.

Theres nothing to earn, all clothes are unlocked from the start, you just modify your hair and clothing from the Don menu, you can do the same for your soldiers, doesnt cost you anything. The only unlockables are weapon upgrades and these are things you find, not attain.

As you can imagine, if the game is full of boring side missions and the duty of taking properties then killing the dons, theres absolutely nothing to do once the game is over.

AI is terrible. Driving AI in particular. If they hit you, they'll just sit there, wont reverse or try to move.

And cars are modelled realistically I guess so expect to hit things a lot and move very slowly.
    I was really looking forward to this, I don't know what hapenned here. Its been a while since I played Godfather 1 but I remmeber it being quite fun, relatively authentic and it integrated you into the story very well. Lots of clothing options, different things to take over and a nice story with allies/personalities and drama and such. It honestly is like and looks like playing Mafia 1, except Mafia 1 did it better many moons ago.

Someone somewhere must've decided to just not give it any time or attention.

Rant over.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Maybe EA decided to stop being good.

They had a pretty good run.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    DarkWarrior, where did you get a copy early?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I work in a game store.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ah.

Quite a shame then, I really enjoyed the first game despite its flaws.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Oh, I completed it in under 7 hours to, and I wasn't trying to complete it.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The wii version was the best out of the first set. Shame.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »

How? All it had were weaker graphics and not-that-innovative waggle controls.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »

How? All it had were weaker graphics and not-that-innovative waggle controls.

Are you kidding? Because I'm laughing. The controls were fantastic, the only knock against it was the shitty graphics. And boy were they shitty!
    Still, gameplay was hella fun.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The controls were good. They were adequate. As in, they worked. There was nothing special about them over the PS3/360 versions.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I dunno man, I spent way more time on it than I did on the oXbox version. Were the last gen versions different to the current gen ones? I know the PS3 one got a whole host of extras, as did the Wii version.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Aside from the extra content on the PS3 version (which wasn't really that much), PS2, Xbox, PS3, 360 and Wii versions of The Godfather were the same. I played through and beat the PS2 and 360 versions, and played a good chunk of the Wii and PS3 versions.

The game controlled and performed reasonably well on all versions, but due to just plain looking better, I'd give the edge to the 360 and PS3 versions, emphasis on PS3 for its extras.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The 360 version also had microtransations instead of cheat codes.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It still had regular cheat codes as well. They were in no way necessary. They did not really amplify the experience, nor did electing to not buy them dampen the experience.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I liked the punching controls in the Wii version

I took every opportunity to punch some motherfuckers in that game

Oh and also doing unique gestures for the executions somehow made them more satisfying

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've been playing this all week and am just under 200 achievement points in (Review Code). While I'm embargoed on full details 'til Tuesday, I can be vague and say that this game is okay. Not breaking any moulds, but it's got a 50 Cent Blood on the Sand thing going on - it knows what it's ripping off, it knows what it's doing and it doesn't try anything clever. It just lets itself be raw fun. It does some interesting things with the gang system and stuff too, and like the Godfather 1 the way it weaves in and out of the movie plot to make a movie license where you don't play as one of the major characters is great and well thought out.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am super hyped for this game. I adored the first one, I thought it was better than any of the GTA's with the possible exception of 4. It was great having a decent story in an open-world game. I'm a little bummed that the graphics didn't get much of a bump, but this still looks like it will be damn awesome.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    AKSU 308AKSU 308 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    DigitalSyn wrote: »
    I think they are raising the bar a little bit here, since Mafia 2 is also slated to be released this year. I think I will pick this game up for the PC, and save myself a few bucks, as all new console games are $60

I think you'll be better off waiting for Mafia 2. I had Godfather 1 on XBox 360 and it wasn't much fun. Controls were average and so was driving. Graphics were bland, they felt very last gen. Mafia 1 however, was one of my fondest memories in PC gaming when I played it back in 2002. It had a fantastic original story and the third person gameplay mechanics were near perfect.

Mafia 2 would be a game I'd consider a new graphics card for (if required). Save your pennies and forget Godfather 2. Sadly video game adaptations of movies are still pretty rubbish.

AKSU 308 on
  • Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I found the first Godfather was a fair bit of fun, nothing fantastic and it got a bit boring going for 100% but it was worth a playthrough. Unfortunately I've got no idea how Godfather II is because it's one of those fancy Pixel Shader 3.0 games which means it goes on the pile with Bioshock for games I can't play just yet.
    Mafia 2 should be fun, hopefully they can increase the speed of the cars a bit though, I know it's suppose to be realistic but man driving around while nothing happens for 10-15mins is annoying (gets better towards the end though when you get some better cars... I wonder where my Mafia discs are

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    AKSU 308AKSU 308 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I found the first Godfather was a fair bit of fun, nothing fantastic and it got a bit boring going for 100% but it was worth a playthrough. Unfortunately I've got no idea how Godfather II is because it's one of those fancy Pixel Shader 3.0 games which means it goes on the pile with Bioshock for games I can't play just yet.
    Mafia 2 should be fun, hopefully they can increase the speed of the cars a bit though, I know it's suppose to be realistic but man driving around while nothing happens for 10-15mins is annoying (gets better towards the end though when you get some better cars... I wonder where my Mafia discs are

The speed limits in Mafia 1 were a bit of a pain. Hope they get rid of that in 2. I'm really pumped for M2, so much potential for excellence there.

AKSU 308 on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm going to go for it and pick this up tomorrow. I enjoyed the first game quite a bit, more for the simple pleasures of taking over rackets, throwing guys through windows, and blowing up safes. I also really enjoyed the setting, as I think it's kind of underused in gaming in spite of all the GTA games and clones that are out there.

I have Mafia on my hard drive right now, thanks to Gametap, but I've only played a little of it. It seems pretty neat.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I gave up on Mafia because every mission was the same routine. Every mission was always on the very opposite side of town. I can't recall anything ever being in the middle. You had to spend an hour driving slowly across the entire map in order to do a mission, then drive slowly back across the entire map to do the next mission, repeat ad infinitem.

That game would have been so much better had it not been open-world. I still consider it a shining example of precisely what not to do when making an open world game.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    Death_ClawDeath_Claw Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    AKSU 308 wrote: »

The speed limits in Mafia 1 were a bit of a pain. Hope they get rid of that in 2. I'm really pumped for M2, so much potential for excellence there.

From the Mafia 2 topic, the cars will still behave realistically but since the game takes place later in time they will be faster. Also the cops will not begin a citywide chase just because you ran a red light or was above the speed limit, they may chase you for a couple of blocks but will give up after that.

Back on topic I couldn´t play more than a couple of hours of the first Godfather game, too much boring stuff to be done over and over. It seems they have changed that a little, so I´m willing to give this one a try.

Death_Claw on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Oh, I forgot to say I think, the cutscenes and mission conversations are unskippable. Including the recruitment of fammily members, you have to sit through every line of dialogue.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    MalachMalach Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Haven't played it yet, but if the original Godfather itself stands as any indication, you can't rely on anyone else at all for their opinion of the game, because people all seem to have vastly different views of the first. For me the original was a ton of fun. As a open world, driving shooting game, it was passable but nothing special. On top of that its graphics were nothing to write home about, and I only had to look at screenshots to know that the graphics haven't been improved in any way that is meaningful. Still, I thought the game was a ton of fun. My biggest gripe with the GTA games was that for being a criminal, I never get to just run around committing crimes. (Random violence notwithstanding) The core gameplay of taking territory and extorting businesses to build your little empire in Godfather on the other hand was exactly the sort of thing I felt the GTA games were missing, and I enjoyed it immensely because of that. And it sounds as if the idea was to expand on that so I remain hopeful. Should get it from Gamefly tomorrow or something to find out for sure. So I just approach it as a niche thing, where some people just hate it and want it to die in a fire, but I may love it. Like the Tenchu games, which some people think are awful, but I think are ridiculous fun despite the many flaws. But most of all, I've disagreed completely with every assertion as to the quality of a game I have ever seen DarkWarrior make, so if he hates it, I'm probably going to adore it. Yay!

Malach on
    Lynch2028.png