As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your Favorite Animals

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Elendil wrote: »
    My love affair with octopodes began when I realized that "octopodes" was a totally sweet word

The octopodes themselves have carried the banner of awesome admirably
    It really is fun to say.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Octopi are cool, but cuttlefish are cooler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuttlefish

They change both the color and texture of their skin, at will. This one is saying, 'hey, fuck off.'
    75378443.sFT3hxnJ.cuttlefish05.jpg

chamberlain on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My love affair with octopodes began when I realized that "octopodes" was a totally sweet word

The octopodes themselves have carried the banner of awesome admirably
    It's a shame that they only live 1-3 years.

Though I am convinced that there is actually an deep-ocean civilization of long-lived cephalopods that use hydrothermal vents as an energy source for their advanced technology.

Qingu on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    These crows are the /only/ animal besides humans that can take an object that it has never experienced before and transform it in to a valuable tool.

/Only/ that we know of, you mean?

Fair enough. Only animal that has demonstrated this ability. Still, it's pretty fucking cool. New Caledonian Crows > Dolphins

Can't crows also solve really complicated puzzles even upon first encountering them?

Birds are my favorite animals. I'll probably join the audobon society when I get out of school.

YES!

Also, crows seem to have language and there even seem to be regional dialects of languages. Caws from a crow in California that means one thing has a slightly different sound than the same caw from a crow in Massachusetts. They apparently have names.

There are also indications that crow's have culture. Crows within close proximity to each other seem to demonstrate similar behaviour that isn't common to crows and doesn't appear to be innate or instinctual. Also, there is some evidence that crows have art of some sort. The things that crows tend to collect and the arrangement they are stored in tend to share certain properties with other crows from the same area, but differ from crows further away. The fuckers are making crow artwork, man.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Damn it all, it's octopodes

High. Fucking. Five!

Yeah, morons, it's octopodes or octopuses, but never octopi.

What if you bake it for 45 minutes in a light, flakey crust?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Damn it all, it's octopodes

High. Fucking. Five!

Yeah, morons, it's octopodes or octopuses, but never octopi.

I was actually about to make an argument, but then I realized that pous is a third declension and I was all "well fuck me sweetly and call me Shirley!"

And this is why you got a C. :-P

Remember, octopus is a loan word from the Greek word ὀκτώπους. Most Greek loanwords in Latin get filed in to the third declension, especially true for third declension Greek nouns, since they have no similarity to any other Latin declension.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would love to see a whole documentary about crows. Is there any such thing?

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    seriously guys did no one else see that snake video

i couldn't tell if he was puking the hippo out, or shitting it, or just giving up on eating it

jesus christ

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    I would love to see a whole documentary about crows. Is there any such thing?

Give me money and I'll make one.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    These crows are the /only/ animal besides humans that can take an object that it has never experienced before and transform it in to a valuable tool.

Fair enough. Only animal that has demonstrated this ability. Still, it's pretty fucking cool. New Caledonian Crows > Dolphins

Can't crows also solve really complicated puzzles even upon first encountering them?

Birds are my favorite animals. I'll probably join the audobon society when I get out of school.

YES!

Also, crows seem to have language and there even seem to be regional dialects of languages. Caws from a crow in California that means one thing has a slightly different sound than the same caw from a crow in Massachusetts. They apparently have names.

There are also indications that crow's have culture. Crows within close proximity to each other seem to demonstrate similar behaviour that isn't common to crows and doesn't appear to be innate or instinctual. Also, there is some evidence that crows have art of some sort. The things that crows tend to collect and the arrangement they are stored in tend to share certain properties with other crows from the same area, but differ from crows further away. The fuckers are making crow artwork, man.

When I was a kid I used to be really disappointed that there were no cool animals living where I did. Africa had lions and elephants and stuff, South America had monkeys, Australia had platypuses, the deep ocean had all sorts of weird stuff and what did we have - nothing.

I now realise how horribly wrong I was.

Starcross on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    All this talk of smart fish reminds me of some clever crabs we used to keep in our aquarium.

They would drag the aquarium decorations up to the pump, climb them then jump from the decorations to the pump and climb up to where the whole for the cord was, trying to get out. They even stuck their little tiny pincers of the hole, and they would repeat this whole process again and again.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    All this talk of smart fish reminds me of some clever crabs we used to keep in our aquarium.

They would drag the aquarium decorations up to the pump, climb them then jump from the decorations to the pump and climb up to where the whole for the cord was, trying to get out. They even stuck their little tiny pincers of the hole, and they would repeat this whole process again and again.

Not very clever if they did it over and over again without ever learning. A crow would try it, fail. And then would create a laser cutting torch to just cut through the glass.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Not very clever if they did it over and over again without ever learning. A crow would try it, fail. And then would create a laser cutting torch to just cut through the glass.

Damn, you're right. So that's why that crow kept eyeing my house ominously....

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Starcross wrote: »

YES!

When I was a kid I used to be really disappointed that there were no cool animals living where I did. Africa had lions and elephants and stuff, South America had monkeys, Australia had platypuses, the deep ocean had all sorts of weird stuff and what did we have - nothing.

I now realise how horribly wrong I was.

When I was a kid, I had these cards that you got in the mail with this green box (Wildlife Treasury, I think). Anyway, those taught me very quickly that lions and elephants and shit are actually pretty boring. The cool animals are the ones you least suspect.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    AnexionAnexion Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Water Bears are pretty cool. What with being basically indestructible and all.
    They are pretty much immune to radiation, pressure, cold, and heat. Can go years without water in a dormant state and even survive in the vacuum of space. I mean seriously that is just bad ass.
    water_bear.jpg
    1-078-water-bear-frontal.jpg

Anexion on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    On tiny beasts, this is maybe not technically an animal, but it's close. It's a protozoa that lives in termites' guts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-zmcrZfKtY

Now, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe this is the same protozoan that Dawkins talks about in the Ancestor's Tale. Namely, it's not a single protozoan. Each one of those spindly little flagelletes is a separate organism living symbiotically on the protozoan's body. (I can't remember if they're bacteria or protozoans themselves).

Termites need these things to digest their diet of wood. These things, in turn, need like 50 other organisms to live alongside/on their bodies. So termites live in symbiosis with the protozoans, who live in symbiosis with their swimming bacteria.

Qingu on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tardigrades!

tardigrade.jpg

HOW CUTEEEE!!
    dsc02491s.jpg

These things are SOOO awesome!

They live in a thin film of water on mosses and lichens, and when that water dries up, so do they.

and then when the water comes back they come back to life.

They have also survived in SPACE via the aptly named "TARDIS" project.

SO AWESOME!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=20307283

EDIT: Anexion curse youuuuuu!

Arch on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm a big sucker for any animals that look different then the usual bunch. This can mean albinos, like this awesome albino zebra or the wallaby.
    789px-Blondzebra.jpg
    400px-Albino_Macropus_rufogriseus_r.jpg

I also think king cheetahs are awesome.

king_cheetah.jpg

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Qingu wrote: »
    On tiny beasts, this is maybe not technically an animal, but it's close. It's a protozoa that lives in termites' guts.

Now, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe this is the same protozoan that Dawkins talks about in the Ancestor's Tale. Namely, it's not a single protozoan. Each one of those spindly little flagelletes is a separate organism living symbiotically on the protozoan's body. (I can't remember if they're bacteria or protozoans themselves).

Termites need these things to digest their diet of wood. These things, in turn, need like 50 other organisms to live alongside/on their bodies. So termites live in symbiosis with the protozoans, who live in symbiosis with their swimming bacteria.

Yea, those spindly flagellates are symbiotic bacteria, and provide support for Lynn Margulis' Serial Endosybiotic Theory, which is the one that describes how mitochondria and chloroplasts are actually very ancient obligate symbionts of early cellular life.

Pretty much those bacteria are the believed to be where the modern protist flagella originated from.

After a while of symbiosis, the organisms became mutualistic and then eventually the same organism.

pretty neat, actually.

[/biologist]

Arch on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Crows have been taught to use vending machines. Without any instruction. They put the machines out there and coins. Eventually the crows put coins in the machines and out came food.

Then they removed the coins from the environment. So the crows would encounter coins elsewhere and bring them back to the machines for food.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Crows have been taught to use vending machines. Without any instruction. They put the machines out there and coins. Eventually the crows put coins in the machines and out came food.

Then they removed the coins from the environment. So the crows would encounter coins elsewhere and bring them back to the machines for food.

I saw that video. The guy said he was hoping to design a vending machine that would accept rubbish so that crows could clean up the streets for us. I'd love to live in a future in which we pay crows in food to work for us.

Starcross on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I find it odd that this thread has actually made crows my new favorite animal.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

We should rename it "The Crow Thread" and chuck all thos lesser animals out.

Starcross on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    bearcat1_wideweb__470x320,0.jpg

Bearcat mother fuckers. It's a bear and a cat. It's like a combination of awesome and spectacular.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    bearcat1_wideweb__470x320,0.jpg

Bearcat mother fuckers. It's a bear and a cat. It's like a combination of awesome and spectacular.
    . It is neither a bear nor a cat, and the real meaning of the original name is lost, as the local language that gave it is extinct

:(

Starcross on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Octopi are cool, but cuttlefish are cooler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuttlefish

They change both the color and texture of their skin, at will.

I'm pretty sure octopodes also do that. Squid can also change their colors at will, and squid get extra huge and badass. Humboldts>Cuttlefish.

for the record, I fully support a "crows kick more ass than your favorite animal" thread.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Octopodes should get to stay and hang out.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Octopodes, crows and humans get to form an intelligent creatures trinity with dominion over sea, air and land respectively.

Starcross on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

My work here is done.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Octopusen would taunt you with the torch.
    More impressed by owlbears.

GungHo on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Octopodes, crows and humans get to form an intelligent creatures trinity with dominion over sea, air and land respectively.

I find it enlightening that all members of this trinity tend to be assholes that like to fuck with lesser species, like cats and hermit crabs.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I find it enlightening that all members of this trinity tend to be assholes that like to fuck with lesser species, like cats and hermit crabs.

Intelligence is a necessary and sufficient condition of assholishness.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I support this idea.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    f_shrk.jpg
    Frilled shark!

goblin-shark.jpg
    Goblin Shark!

Cookie_cutters.GIF
    Cookiecutter shark!

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    has anyone mentioned pistol shrimp yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKPrGxB1Kzc

pistol shrimp are awesome

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    KevinNashKevinNash Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

My work here is done.

I for one welcome our new crow overlords:

brandon-lee-the-crow-photograph-c10104025.jpeg

My favorite bird:

Birds_of_Paradise_5E.jpg

KevinNash on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Get those sharks out of the octopode/crow thread.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I like how the platypus has mammary glands throughout its entire body. Milk glands likely evolved from sweat glands (or share a common precursor) and the platypus is just evidence of that.

I also like how their venom does not long-term damage to the victim, but directly stimulates pain receptors to cause excruciating, crippling pain.

You're making me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    KevinNashKevinNash Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    seriously guys did no one else see that snake video

i couldn't tell if he was puking the hippo out, or shitting it, or just giving up on eating it

jesus christ

I think it was purging. Bulimic Anaconda. That'd be a good name for a band.

KevinNash on
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Smasher_Mantis_Shrimp.jpg

Possessing some of the most advanced eyes in the animal kingdom (they can change what spectrum they see in!), powerful club (or spear)-limbs capable of shattering double-layered aquarium glass (hitting with the force of a .22 bullet!) that can strike in 2 milliseconds, enough intelligence to recognize other individuals and learn, stomatopods (better know as mantis shrimp) are the coolest arthropods ever.

By the way, can we talk about extinct animals?

Fossil octopus!

090319-octopus-fossil-picture_big.jpg

Macera on
    xet8c.gif