As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bored out of my Skull

Fooswashere1Fooswashere1 Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I had ACL reconstruction Surgery on 27MAR and I have been sitting in my recliner watching movies, TV shows, and playing wow. I am bored out of my mind but I can't drive and most of my friends aren't around to drive me anywhere. I just need ideas for the next month till I start going back to work. Any ideas are good ideas so feel free for anything.

Fooswashere1 on

• captainviolencecaptainviolence Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What other kinds of things do you like to do? You could have someone pick you up a sketchpad and some pencils/pens/watercolors/etc if you're into artsy kinds of stuff. You could also borrow an instrument from a friend and try teaching yourself, if you've ever had an interest in that, too.

captainviolence on
  • Cyd CycloneCyd Cyclone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You could get a lot of reading done in a month.

Cyd Cyclone on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've been checking out this site a lot: http://www.artificialowl.net/

I find the pictures to be absolutely fascinating and often lose myself a bit while I look at them.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And, with all the free e-books available, you won't have to spend a dime.

Grid System on
  • Fooswashere1Fooswashere1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't draw but I could try picking up an instrument but I don't think any of my friends have anything other than drums.

I read a lot but books get expensive for how fast I go through them.

Fooswashere1 on
  • underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Masturbation. It's a way of life.

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Fooswashere1Fooswashere1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am not that big into Masturbation. That artificial owl website is pretty cool. I get headaches from reading on a computer monitor all day so I don't like reading on the computer that much.

Fooswashere1 on
  • I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    buy anathem

good investment in a book

first read through takes forever because of all the different words and the second read through you actually catch everything

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have been in similar circumstances (2 major motorbike collisions resulting in 2 months+ each of downtime) and I can only express my sympathy.

You have physio exercises? Throw yourself into them, and any other safe/similar exercises.

Chores, tasks, shit you've been putting off. Paperwork especially. May as well get it done now.

Plan something if you can. If you have something to look forward to and plan - helps the time past.

Books of course. Plenty about, but if you cannot get to the library/store....

Any historical period you care about? Researching that sort of thing can be fulfilling.

Learn a language - can be bloody amazing for many reasons, including employment.

Forums ;-)

Teslan26 on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Learn to knit or sew. Teach yourself a new software program. Try cooking new styles of food.

VisionOfClarity on
  • mechaThormechaThor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If you were ever into Dungeons and Dragons at one point you could start a campaign, such as through http://www.obsidianportal.com/. That's my current outlet for excess boredom and so far it's done a pretty good job.

Learning an instrument or a language is good, but IMO it would be more effective if you feel that you will continue with it post-rehabilitation.

mechaThor on
    "I sent an e-mail asking why wood elves get +2 Str when other dwarves did not. My response from customer service consisted of five words: 'Wood elves are really strong.' "
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You could hit up the games subforum and check out the dwarf fortress thread.

a good way to waste a month without even realizing you are wasting a month.

Buttcleft on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah just read books.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't draw but I could try picking up an instrument but I don't think any of my friends have anything other than drums.

If you want books on the cheap, you might want to check out www.abebooks.com. They sell used books for about 4$ a piece, and they mostly come from libraries. I buy quite a few there. The only downer is that you can't get newer books, they have to be a few months old. If you're behind like me it's not a problem.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • 4U2NV4U2NV Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Pick up an instrument?

4U2NV on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Try playing other games other than WoW?

urahonky on
  • HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Teach yourself something. MIT publishes most of their courses online, for free: http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm

HalberdBlue on
  • underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    I am not that big into Masturbation.

Fucking communist.

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • TwirrimTwirrim Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    For various reasons I can't go into, I can't work at the moment even though I'm physically & mentally well. The frustration is driving me slowly insane.

To stave off insanity I've been brushing up on my rather rudimentary perl skills, and just starting to learn c++. If you can already program, consider looking at the http://www.netflixprize.com and having a stab at that. I tried it in perl, succesfully wrote a Singular Value Decomposition based predictor, but perl is really not suited to the task, and hence it's more than a little slow no matter how much I optimize the code :)

Alternatively, order a cheap acoustic guitar and start to learn to play it. It's easy to teach yourself, and it won't be long before you're able to strum your way through at least a few cool songs.

Twirrim on
  • SpamSpam Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I get headaches from reading on a computer monitor all day so I don't like reading on the computer that much.

Get a Sony Reader / Kindle / whatever other e-ink reader there is on market at the moment.

They're expensive, but like folk have already mentioned, there are thousands of ebooks available for free download - enough reading material for decades.

I've got a sony reader - can't recommend it enough.

Spam on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Guns, Germs and Steel" and then "A Brief History of Time"

NotASenator on
  • BecclescakeBecclescake Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How about cooking/learning to cook? Therapeutic and tasty!

Becclescake on
  • JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And, with all the free e-books available, you won't have to spend a dime.
    To add to this post, if you actually manage to read through everything available here, there are people who have (legally) mirrored every free CD Baen included with any of their books. So if the Baen free library isn't enough for you, go nuts. I think most of them are multi-format so you could put them on an e-book reader.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Download Reaper and a bunch of free VST's and make some music.

Jeedan on
  • T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    War and Peace

or you know, piano

T. J. Nutty Nub on