As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Summer Internships/Resume (for a freshman)

Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
Howdy, so, I figure now is the right time and I'm looking to see if I can get a summer internship of some sort. I have a good general idea of where to look for things, website wise, and my career center has it's own little MonsterTrak thing for people at my school, which is nice, but I was wondering to see if I could gather any advice. Advice is always nice.

Now, I know it will be pretty difficult to get a summer internship as a freshman, as most are geared to sophomores+. One guy at the career center said one way it might be easier for a freshman to get a summer one is to try to get one during the academic year, so spring in this case, and that would probably flow into a summer internship... but with my busy class schedule next semester, not so sure that is possible.

I also have a general idea of what to put on a resume, and figure since I'm a freshman now and don't even have a college GPA until this semester is over in 3 weeks, I should include some high school stuff on it. I figure I'm going to be working on the resume sometime this afternoon, and maybe I'll post a copy for help/advice later. My career center is pretty boss, so I'll show it to some people there later, but I figure there is no harm getting more opinions.

A few notes: I go to school in NYC, and my home is in the metro-Boston area. I'd be fine with an internship in either location...

Also, being a freshman, I'm not really sure what I want to do, nor what I want to intern in. So I guess that doesn't help any... but I'll be thinking about this over the next few days.

So, I dunno, any advice, in general, or from experience, or whatever, would be appreciated. I don't want to sit around and be a bum and work at a camp for yet another summer (although that was incredibly easy and netted much video game time for me).

poo
Shazkar Shadowstorm on

• CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    It looks to me like you're on the right track. You sound like you already realize it, but you are going to need to make a decision about the field you want to get into. I felt that was worth saying because I doubt you'll get anything if you go after everything.

My actual piece of advice is something I wish I had realized sooner, and that is the importance of networking. Going to online job sites and checking your career center are definitely things you should be doing, but going a bit beyond that would really make you stand out. If your college has any career fairs or alumni centers, these are easy ways to get in contact with the people actually working in the industry you want to explore. Even if they don't have any openings for someone at your level, you could still get advice from them about their industry and possibly even ask to shadow them for a day. If nothing else, this would give you an opportunity to see if that's a field you really want to get in.

Last piece of advice is to not be too disappointed if you don't get anything. Like you yourself noted, freshmen rarely get internships. But if you do some good networking and leave a positive impression, you'll practically be a shoe in for later years.

Good luck.

CyberJackal on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Talk to some of the teachers you have or your academic advisor. Some students keep in touch long after they've graduated, and might be willing to help out. You could also work in one of the school's academic departments helping to do research or assisting with general office work.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kay um, how about let's look at this and tell me what to fix

I've never made a resume before so I was just putting random shit on it... so tell me please:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/f4933a/

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo