As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Limp [DOODLE]

• TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Legs still look too long below the knees, but it kind of feels like that might fit your style. So, you know, at your discretion.

Tam on
  • JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    F87 wrote: »
    Thanks man, here is an update.

Look any better? I worked on the expression some, but now I'm coming to find the the head structure is off. Or feels off.
    girlexplore2.jpg
    Well since she is looking toward the light and she is scared of her surroundings, this leads me to think she is using the light to look more into the dark where she can't see. Maybe having her lean toward the torch, by placing her wait on her forward leg while stretching the back leg out to keep it in its original place would work? It would suggest she is looking around, but unwilling to actually step forward, while giving her a more dynamic pose that doesnt look like she is about to sit down.
    EDIT: here is a crappy draw over to (potentially) help clarify what I meant.
    girlexplore2stance.jpg

JohnTWM on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mere one-hour sketch from the National Gallery; I was rushed and not really feeling it. Plus, I don't really like the sculpture.

Apparently NSFW, even though it's from the National Gallery of Art.

mattharvest on
    edited May 2009
    NSFW needs to be linked rather than posted directly, matt

Tam on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    cagepage.jpg

dropped some colors on another page out of that Luke Cage.

Previously: Doom had hired Cage to hunt down a group of robots disguised as black New Yorkers. Doom skipped payment and went back to Latveria. Cage broke into the Baxter Building and beat the shit out of the Fantastic Four and demanded they let him use the Fantasti-car to fly to Latveria.

Afterwords: Cage beats the shit out of Doom for like three pages until Doom gives him his two hundred bucks.

EDIT: I was curious as to what the original looked like. Luckily someone had already scanned it and had it posted:
    cagedoomoriginal.jpg

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Previously: Doom had hired Cage to hunt down a group of robots disguised as black New Yorkers. Doom skipped payment and went back to Latveria. Cage broke into the Baxter Building and beat the shit out of the Fantastic Four and demanded they let him use the Fantasti-car to fly to Latveria.

Afterwords: Cage beats the shit out of Doom for like three pages until Doom gives him his two hundred bucks.

:shock: :lol:
    That is fantastic.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited May 2009
    how's the coloring? I'm trying to get some practice in before jumping on that wedding comic.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited May 2009
    The background is too similar to Cage's skin color.

Oh wait, is this an extension of the joke from the first one?

Tam on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    After viewing this video a few times, I decided primal bears don't need no weak ass hand-axes. Or any man made weapon, for that matter. When did I decide that? Oh, skip to 2:35. You'll see.

Spoiler'd for inline
    bear2.png

I like this one much better. It's closer in concept to the wolf

Delzhand on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So whose gonna push up on a new doodle thread? Vagrant is a run in run out, so I'm guessing WCK is the runner up?

Mustang on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Take this thing to the moon.

The moon is also 100.

bombardier on
    edited May 2009
    Aye aye captain bombs, setting course for the moon, charging doodlelithium crystals, engage.

Mustang on
    edited May 2009
    are all three long-runners going to be 100 pages now, bombs?

Tam on
    edited May 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    The background is too similar to Cage's skin color.

Oh wait, is this an extension of the joke from the first one?

actually it's me trying to extend the stuff from my painting/color design classes into the comic. the purpose is to have the color flow over local boundaries to help flatten the image. It's the same tone for his flesh, his shirt's shadow, the wall, the table, and the floor. It also explains the abundance of low-saturation colors and heavy reliance on complementary sets.

I might do a few more pages. The binding's so thick on the book that I have to cut out each page prior to scanning though.

Delz- I'd rather see you get down a full animation for a character before doing the first frame for each enemy sprite. Try getting your walking animation down.

Also, what res is your game running at?

At 1080, that'd dude'd be fairly small I would imagine.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Grim OutlookGrim Outlook Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    jay.jpg

trying out a tablet for the first time.

Grim Outlook on
    edited May 2009
    1280x720 - standard XNA recommended resolution. Characters are very roughly the same sprite-to-screen height ratio as the classic metroidvanias. I mean, the main character is the same size as Ryu's sprite in SFIII.

It's slightly less than the height sprite-to-screen ratio of Super Metroid. It's significantly less than the width sprite-to-screen ratio, but the SNES aspect ratio is way different. So yeah, they're a little small. I guess my big question is do I rewrite parts of the game engine to make the tile size bigger (it's 48x48) and redraw the sprites larger? Or just have small sprites?

Here's a real-size mockup (screenshot with sprites pasted in). The white border is the "title safe area", which means all crucial gameplay elements have to be inside of it. (spoiler for size)
    mockup.png

If I make the game run entirely in the titlesafe area (another possibility), the sprite-to-screen height ratio is almost exactly the same as Symphony of the Night.

Delzhand on
    edited May 2009
    no, that's fine. It's better than what I was imagining.

Also, for the bear, make sure to draw some of the back arm, and don't have the legs sit in exactly the same position, both right now are very unnatural looking.

How many frames are in your walking animation?

I'd also prefer the game run in the titlesafe area. Maybe with a border. Getting real adjustments on a TV often involve accessing the factory options (I forget exactly what they're called) and its a total bitch. I've bought too many games off of XBLA that have had the life bar and shit pushed off the edge of my screen even when scaled down as much as possible due to my TV's overscan.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey guys, new character sketch:

outlaw.jpg

Any feedback?

F87 on
    edited May 2009
    It's kind of a girlish/childish pose. Any man would move forward enough so that his feet were on the ground, or find a lower place to sit.

I keep looking at his eyes.

Those... soulless... eyes...

I can't... look away...

@Manon
    I'm still not sure how many to use. I've got a reference animation with 11, Samus in SM has 10, Alucard in SotN has 31 (!). Megaman has 3. :)

runcycle.gif

Delzhand on
    edited May 2009
    Legs too long below the knee seem to be a motif in your work Frank. Is this intentional?

Tam on
    edited May 2009
    Not at all Tamsy.

And yeah, the pose sucks. :(

F87 on
    edited May 2009
    Delz, will you have a separate walking and running animation?

If you can keep his hands on his gun as he runs, you won't have to animate him pulling out everytime he shoots. Are you having him shoot while walking/running? If so you'll need two sets of frames for each.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited May 2009
    Just one speed - something close to a running jog. Gun will be pointed forward with both hands while running, so there won't be a firing animation.

This is off the top of my head. I really need to sit down and figure this out.

Idle (breathing, simple pixel shifts)
    Standing and firing (hand over the hammer, probably only a few slightly varied frames)
    Reloading
    Running
    Jumping (rise/fall, both single frame)
    Jumping shoot (same as above)
    Crouching
    Crouching reload

Delzhand on
    edited May 2009
    hands straight out while running would be pretty awkward looking I would imagine. It'd change the pacing of the game, but you could remove shooting while running. A lot of platformers pull it off really well.

You doing five directional shooting or just two?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    So whose gonna push up on a new doodle thread? Vagrant is a run in run out, so I'm guessing WCK is the runner up?

I think i should. has it been done yet?

winter_combat_knight on
    edited May 2009
    Just two. And yeah, it looks pretty John Woo to run forward with both hands on a firearm.

Delzhand on
    edited May 2009
    Mustang wrote: »

I think i should. has it been done yet?

No, we're going to kick it to 100 pages now.

Mustang on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    BUGGER!!! Oh well.

oil painting started this morning in my life painting class (though we're not actually working from life at the moment:rotate:). Its a self portrait.

dpu69x.jpg

A few doodles from my new pretty sketchbook

avilx5.jpg
    2ik9z47.jpg
    hrwosw.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    ND hates sourdough bread, thus making her an inhuman communist.

I, on the other hand, devour sourdough with such gleeful abandon that I usually give myself hiccups when I do so.

A drama-filled and heart-wrenching IM conversation ensued, shittily dramatized here:
    sourdough.gif

(really I just wanted to draw some goofy faces)

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I edited the post, but I'm surprised anyone would be worried about something that's literally in the National Gallery of Art.

mattharvest on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I edited the post, but I'm surprised anyone would be worried about something that's literally in the National Gallery of Art.

It's not that people here will complain. It's that one of PA's advertisers might stumble on the post and say "oh hey, nudity" and pull an ad. I'm assuming that's the case since I don't think there are many people at PA who mind nudity, and I doubt they care much for the opinions of dirty outsiders and lurkers.

MKR on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    yeah also there are some employers who would view it as inappropriate for work.
    seems silly i know, but there's not really a place for it in many corporate offices
    don't get me wrong, those statues are stunning pieces of art. but it's no real secret that many people in the world don't appreciate them the way they should be appreciated and just see it as nudity.

beavotron on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Are you submitting this over at concept arts character of the week? If not...you should!
    I think it's looking good so far.

F87 wrote: »
    Hey guys, new character sketch:

outlaw.jpg

Any feedback?

NakedZergling on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I, on the other hand, devour sourdough with such gleeful abandon that I usually give myself hiccups when I do so.

A drama-filled and heart-wrenching IM conversation ensued, shittily dramatized here:
    sourdough.gif

hahahahahaha, yessssss

NightDragon on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009

sourdough.gif

hahahahahaha, yessssss

Oh jeez, AoB. Somehow, the combination of hiccups and puppy eyes is the best combination.

Iruka on
    edited May 2009
    Panel 31 is the best. The whole thing has a very Yotsuba! feel to it.

Delzhand on
  • crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    I little pose-tweaking; I think I worked on the rest of it too much, considering most of that will be covered, and I do plan on fixing the left arm, but do you think this pose works better, or worse?

turtlepose2.jpg

Editing in this update, there being no sense in double-posting; added the Christ-character, and tried to work out some sort of general lighting, to poor effect. This is why I don't do unreffed stuff very often; it's also why I should do it more.
    turtlepose3.jpg

EDIT: Last update (oh, that's who died...); I'd do more rat and clothing refs, but it all depends on how much time I've got left. As it is, I'm leaving this to stew for a bit before potentially going at it anew on charcoal paper. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, even if it's to tell me not to bother.

turtlepose4.jpg

I post too many minor updates, don't I?

crawdaddio on
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    k, sent this out for the e-vite, now I get to give it a proper paint over to be used for the actual event

ColoredLinework2r88.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
    edited May 2009
    Nice, Myk.

Quick Enviro study

envstudy1.jpg

F87 on
  • D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Her forearms look really small and weak, Myk. I like my women with huge gorilla forearms.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
This discussion has been closed.