As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wedding-appropriate Bible Passages?

SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!!Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm getting married in 2 months. Both my fiancee and I have managed to include every member of our respective families in the wedding proceedings with the sole exception of my eldest sister. I came up with the idea of having her read a passage from the Bible during our ceremony. The problem, however, is that I'm not a very religious person, and I have absolutely no clue what to suggest that she read.

Do you guys have any ideas of Bible passages that are wedding-relevant that my sister could read at my wedding?

Thanks.

SeñorAmor on

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Why the hell do you want her to do this if you're not religious?

Zek on
  • Project MayhemProject Mayhem Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Zek wrote:

It makes other people happy?

Project Mayhem on
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Zek wrote:

My fiancee's family is, and we're having the ceremony in a church.

SeñorAmor on
  • SlungsolowSlungsolow Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    fuck what I just wrote...

the dude that married me has some nice sample readings on his site

http://weddingsbylance.com/samplereadings.html

/edit - ceremony in a church - talk to the priest

Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
    edited November 2006
    Well, you're the one getting married. I just think this is overkill. They'll be satisfied that it's a church ceremony.

Zek on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    "Stop being so reasonable and accomodating to your in-laws" isn't terribly helpful advice.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited November 2006
    He didn't say his in-laws requested it.

Zek on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Watch movies where people get married. I'm sure you'll find some good sounding stuff.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Zek wrote:
    That has nothing to do with anything and doesn't invalidate my point. Believe it or not, some people just don't care at all about meaningless religious ceremonies they don't believe in, on the grounds that they're meaningless and they don't believe in them, it's essentially an easy thing you can do to try to appease the parents who now know for a fact that you're going to be sticking it in their daughter if you haven't already. Get over it and either offer helpful advice or fuck the hell off.

ViolentChemistry on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Corinthians. "Love is patient, love is kind", etc. Sure, everyone uses it, so it's sort of cliched at this point. But it's also lovely and touching. Do it.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    There's always first Corinthians.

You know, love is patient, kind, etc, etc.

Vincent Grayson on
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Zek wrote:

No, I fucking requested it. I want to get my sister involved in the wedding, and reading a passage from the Bible is how I want to get her involved. It shouldn't matter whether or not I'm religious. It's what I want to do, and I am asking for help picking an appropriate passage.

We've been nice to you so far in this thread despite your obvious lack of help, and condescending attitude. Either start helping or GTFO of my thread.

SeñorAmor on
  • SlungsolowSlungsolow Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    There's always first Corinthians.

You know, love is patient, kind, etc, etc.
    1 Corinthians 12:31 - 13:8

Set your mind on the higher gifts. And now I am going to put before you the best way of all. Though I command languages both human and angelic -- if I speak without love, I am no more than a gong booming or a cymbal clashing. And though I have the power of prophecy, to penetrate all mysteries and knowledge, and though I have all faith necessary to move mountains -- if I am without love, I am nothing. Though I should give away to the poor all that I possess, and even give up my body to be burned -- if I am without love, it will do me no good whatever. Love is always patient and kind; love is never jealous; love is not boastful or conceited, it is never rude and never seeks its own advantage, it does not take offence or store up grievances. Love does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but finds its joy in the truth. It is always ready to make allowances, to trust, to hope and to endure whatever comes. Love never comes to an end.

You should, with your fiance and your sister, talk to the priest officiating. He'll find something that all three of you agree upon.

Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
  • tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Can I recommend you sing the song that Uncle Jessy sings to Rebbecca in the fourth season of Full-House?

It's sorta from the bible of Stamos?

And, if used correctly, you should be able to melt the face of everyone in the room.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, my wife and I are atheists and we used corinthians. It's a standard thing but everyone tries so hard to be different now that it's taken on a "classic" tone to it.

Better than having someone sing a weird song or something. And I would suggest against Leviticus for any wedding passages.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    This is a selection of religious and secular wedding readings recommended by the minister that took our service.

I endorse the idea of using an excerpt from the bible even if you aren't Christian because aside from it being traditional and appeasing to relatives etc., the Bible does have some good and practical advice now and again and it's passages on love and marriage are generally on the ball and can capture a sentiment pretty perfectly.

I would say just try and pick one that seems relevant to you and like slung says, talk to your priest. Those guys do tonnes of weddings and have a good feel for what does and doesn't work.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    hey, congrats senor

Zonkytonkman on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    EggyToast wrote:
    Yeah, my wife and I are atheists and we used corinthians. It's a standard thing but everyone tries so hard to be different now that it's taken on a "classic" tone to it.

Better than having someone sing a weird song or something. And I would suggest against Leviticus for any wedding passages.

I think someone read it at ours as well, despite my very strong objections...but then, what's a wedding without ignoring the groom's wishes?

Vincent Grayson on
  • DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    EggyToast wrote:

Same here! We picked it because it doesn't actually mention god in it. I mean, who can't get behind "love"?

Also, I have been to four weddings this year (including my own) and every single one of them used the reading from Corinthians. So at least you'll be in good company if you use that one. :P

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2006
    It's not to the fat one is it?

Tube on
  • holycrapawalrusholycrapawalrus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Zek wrote:

Maybe because in most literary circles, the Bible has what is considered to be some of the best romantic poetry ever written and regardless of your religious beliefs, the words are still meaningful?

holycrapawalrus on
  • NanaNana Fuzzy Little Yeti Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hah, I also got to hear an earful of quotes from Corinthians at my wedding.

Mostly along the lines of:
    "Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers" According to my in-laws, I'm dragging my husband into the darkness.

Its personal bias, but the constant preaching on their behalf has lead me to believe that anything written by Paul = Poop. However, I second the "Love is patient; love is kind" verses, its beautiful reading and popular at weddings.

Nana on
    3DS Friend Code: 3823-8688-4581
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've always kind of liked Song of Solomon 8:6-7
    Place me like a seal over your heart,
    like a seal on your arm;
    for love is as strong as death,
    its jealousy unyielding as the grave.
    It burns like blazing fire,
    like a mighty flame.

Many waters cannot quench love;
    rivers cannot wash it away.
    If one were to give
    all the wealth of his house for love,
    it would be utterly scorned.

Really, most of Song of Solomon is quite lovely, but unfortunately most of it is a bit too risque for a wedding.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    There's a decent section in Proverbs 31 about the ideal qualities in a wife (not what you'd think, either ;) ). It could be easily reworked to apply to both partners, if that wouldn't give the relatives conniptions :P

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Mm, as someone stated before, if you don't like the suggestions people are posting here, talking to the priest should give you some insight (If it he doesn't outright suggest something).

Hopefully the priest knows more about bible verses more than anyone here at PA (Who isn't a priest)

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio