As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Peeling lip problem

Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state universityRegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I have had a strange problem with my lips recently where my lips will get incredibly dry and build up a hard shell. If I then apply any sort of lip balm or chap stick the top layers of skin will soften and start to peel off leaving the raw skin underneath. The lips will then build layers and harden again. This just endlessly repeats in this cycle and is getting annoying. I believe I compounded the problem at first by constantly picking off the moistened peeling skin but I am fighting this urge tooth and nail now. This problem may have been initiated at first by me picking at dry chapped segmented lips but I honestly can't even remember how it started.

I have no idea how to fix this without just having the skin peel off again while softened and repeat the cycle. Maybe I should not apply any lip balm at all and see what happens to the hard skin naturally. Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any solutions to this? Thanks.

Gear Girl on

• Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Carmax 3 times a day for 2 weeks. Do not pick. Drink more water, you are dehydrated.

meeker on
  • Options
    AyeJayeAyeJaye Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This might be caused by a seemingly unrelated medical condition. Any of those we should know about?

AyeJaye on
    delicious.
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What you need to do is apply chapstick or lip balm much more frequently. Do not allow your lips to become chapped and stay like that, either. Carry chapstick around, and apply is every time your lips begin to dry out. Do not lick your lips.

If it is still a major problem, talk to your doctor.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Medicated chapstick and vitamin E pills

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    AyeJaye wrote: »
    This might be caused by a seemingly unrelated medical condition. Any of those we should know about?

The only thing diagnosed recently was low iron but I just finished my pill taking regiment for that.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    meeker wrote: »
    Carmax 3 times a day for 2 weeks. Do not pick. Drink more water, you are dehydrated.

Hmm I suppose dehydration may be a possibility. I drink a lot of milk and occasional juice but very little water.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I doubt you are dehydrated. Unless you're living on a diet of sodium crackers and dried out birch wood, you're likely getting enough water---it's in absolutely everything you eat and drink.

Like everyone said, just get a really good high quality, medicated, lip balm. Carry it around with you and apply it constantly.

It sounds like you're putting on some chapstick.. maybe licking your lips or breathing through your mouth alot, and you lose the benefit.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also, petroleum jelly does wonders for your lips too.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    maybe licking your lips or breathing through your mouth alot, and you lose the benefit.

This would be my guess.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Keep chapstick in your pocket, apply it all the time. I am a fan of the blue moisturizer one.

Become a chapstick addict is what I'm saying.

But yeah the reason that is happening is because your lips are getting a little bit chapped and then you are probably licking them, which is not a good idea.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    In fairness, some chapsticks and the like can actually cause this problem; i normally use Lipsyl, but one time tried Carmex, which weirdly gave me the same symptoms. I'd suggest trying a plain one, or vaseline.

On the other hand, you may have picked up a mild bacterial infection, in which case, i'd try somthing like Blistex Healing, which is medicated, works for me.

DusT_HounD on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Lots of sun can burn your lips, and they peel like any other place...

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I agree with Dust_hounD. You should try different kinds of chapstick and preferably stick to the ones which don't "seal the lips off", but instead moisturize them.

You could also try to go some days without applying chapstick and see if your lips heal on their own (also no licking and so on).

Otherwise, go see a doctor.

Platy on
  • Options
    korrianderkorriander Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Having used chap stick and lip balms my entire life, the best thing I have ever found for dry lips is Burt's Bees. Its the only thing that works consistently, actually helps my lips stay moisturized, and doesn't feel like caking wax on my lips. Try it, put it on as often as you need, every couple hours if you have to. It takes a while for lips to heal, but even then keep using it so they don't get dry again.

If this doesn't help, you need a dermatologist.

korriander on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have this it isnt a medical problem. This skin is growing back fast and hard because you bite it off so much. It's like hair the faster you cut it the faster it grows. Use chapsticks a lot and stop biting your lips.

Casual on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Try pre-emptive chapstick. Kind of a guess, but I don't think it will peel off if you never let it harden.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    TrinisTrinis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Like DusT_HounD mentioned above, excessive use of chapstick can give you the opposite of what you need.

You know how your balls will shrink if you take steroids because your body realizes it doesn't need any more of those hormones? The same thing can happen with your lips naturally moisturizing themselves.

Trinis on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I doubt you are dehydrated. Unless you're living on a diet of sodium crackers and dried out birch wood, you're likely getting enough water---it's in absolutely everything you eat and drink.

This is bullshit.

When people say "you are dehydrated dehydrated" they don't mean "you are as desiccated as Death Valley." "Enough water to stay alive" and "enough water to stay healthy" are very different things.

You can't drink too much water (hydrotoxicity or whatever its called is irrelevant to the discussion unless you're a complete dumbass in which case your loss will not be mourned) you'll just pee out the excess. So drink more water.

If your pee isn't crystal clear every time you're going, you're dehydrated. Low-grade dehydration won't kill you, might not even do you any lasting harm over a prolonged period, but being properly hydrated = better than not. If nothing else you'll feel better. I know I do, whenever I stay properly hydrated (which isn't often enough).

Furthermore, just about everything else people drink when thirsty has sugar in one form or another. Which is not good for your teeth and not good for your weight.

It might not solve your peeling lips problem, but it can't hurt you to try drinking more water for a few weeks (and stop picking/chewing on them, which I know is goddamn hard as someone who does it) and see what happens. You can always go back to your bad habits once you've broken them, if you're stubborn.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Aoi TsukiAoi Tsuki Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Use Neutrogena. It's thick and smells a little unpleasant, but regular applications of that shit will moisturize all the way down.

Aoi Tsuki on
  • Options
    DarwinsFavoriteTortoiseDarwinsFavoriteTortoise Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Casual wrote: »
    I have this it isnt a medical problem. This skin is growing back fast and hard because you bite it off so much. It's like hair the faster you cut it the faster it grows. Use chapsticks a lot and stop biting your lips.

This is really stupid of me to point out, but I just can't let it go for some reason. :P

The "faster you cut your hair the faster it grows" statement is a myth.

Its late so I just typed it into google and came up with this to back me up on that, but I can get some more evidence tomorrow if you question the article.

On topic: Yeah, just drink more water and carry around chapstick at all times. That should do the trick!

DarwinsFavoriteTortoise on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

This is bullshit.

When people say "you are dehydrated dehydrated" they don't mean "you are as desiccated as Death Valley." "Enough water to stay alive" and "enough water to stay healthy" are very different things.

You can't drink too much water (hydrotoxicity or whatever its called is irrelevant to the discussion unless you're a complete dumbass in which case your loss will not be mourned) you'll just pee out the excess. So drink more water.

If your pee isn't crystal clear every time you're going, you're dehydrated. Low-grade dehydration won't kill you, might not even do you any lasting harm over a prolonged period, but being properly hydrated = better than not. If nothing else you'll feel better. I know I do, whenever I stay properly hydrated (which isn't often enough).

Furthermore, just about everything else people drink when thirsty has sugar in one form or another. Which is not good for your teeth and not good for your weight.

It might not solve your peeling lips problem, but it can't hurt you to try drinking more water for a few weeks (and stop picking/chewing on them, which I know is goddamn hard as someone who does it) and see what happens. You can always go back to your bad habits once you've broken them, if you're stubborn.

okay

almost everybody is slightly dehydrated. but your urine doesn't need to be crystal clear for you to be hydrated. if your urine is a golden wheat or lighter, you're probably fine. if your urine is amber or darker, you're almost certainly dehydrated. and if your urine is pungent, you're definitely dehydrated.

that said, the OP probably is dehydrated. they should make a point to try to consume 2-3 quarts of water per day, and should apply Vaseline to their lips every 4 hours or so until such time that this condition clears up.

the wook on
  • Options
    BecclescakeBecclescake Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm having this problem at the moment actually. So annoying! What I find kinda helps is (this is probably going to sound weird) if you brush your lips with your toothbrush every so often (toothpaste not required).

And drink water / apply chapstick, as everyone else has been saying.

Becclescake on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Forgo the chap stick. Drink more water. You'll see an improvement within a week.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    Diomedes240zDiomedes240z Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Give your lips a bit of a scrub in the shower after your skin has softened. Fixed my problems instantly.

Diomedes240z on
    fdod80.jpg
  • Options
    RipsteelRipsteel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If your lips are excessively dry, it could be a result of dehydration. Maybe you aren't drinking enough water.
    After a shower, rub your lips with the towel...it helps to remove dry skin...
    And then, petroleum jelly (vaseline) or even a chapstick should do the trick in a week's time..

Ripsteel on
  • Options
    isalbeenoisalbeeno Registered User new member
    I know this is way old, but this is EXACTLY what I’m experiencing. Did you figure anything out to fix this. Thank you in advance!!

This discussion has been closed.