Options

[Chronicles of the Spellborn] Now available in America!

Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
The Chronicles of Spellborn

pic-719.jpg

What is this?
shot_7_tavern_big.jpg
The Chronicles of Spellborn (TCoS) is an MMO that is in a released state in the EU, and a quasi-open beta in the US. Spellborn NV using the renowned Unreal® Engine™. Players take the role of heroes in a post-apocalyptic fantasy setting where a vast adventure unfolds in an authentic living world. It is Free to play till level 7, as many characters as you want.

Essentially TCoS is a game in which players choose to assume the role of a hero in a post-apocalyptic dark fantasy world. Within hollow rock-realms known as Shards, floating in the confines of the magical Deadspell Storm, a civilization consisting of humans and daevi struggles to rediscover the pieces of a shattered world. Multiple Shards are known to this civilization, called the Enclave of the Five Sacrifices. Other Shards are known to a few of the Enclave’s elite, and some are almost certainly myths grown out of the struggle to survive in the aftermath of the destruction of the Ancestor World.

More:
The Deadspell Storm is thought to have caused the destruction of the Ancestor World by some, while others believe that it is the result of the destruction. It is possible that the Oracle knows of the truth, however this knowledge has never been shared with the citizens of the Enclave.

The Enclave is an alliance of five High Houses. The political balance is relatively stable, however the Houses vie with each other for power on a regular basis. The citizens of the Enclave believe in cooperation, as long as it furthers the ideals of their own allegiances. As a result they form a united front against external threats. Once a threat has been controlled or mollified, the political infighting becomes intense. While terms of good and evil mean little, who your allies are at a given moment is of the utmost importance.

In this unique setting the player quickly becomes part of the struggle to rediscover pieces of a shattered world, the intrigues of the High Houses and the exploration of Shards and long-forgotten places through Ancestral Quests.

While TCoS shares aspects of game play which may be familiar to individuals who have played other MMORPGs, we have focused on designing a game with a unique story which looks, sounds, and (most importantly) plays differently.

You can see it in the art style: a balance of realistic vs. cartoon fantasy. This is the "European Style" we’ve aimed to achieve. The entire art and level design team has adapted everything from models and objects to textures and lighting to create a fantastic world in an original style. There’s no single other game which shares this particular blend of styles.

We’ve got an entirely original score composed by Jesper Kyd who has been critically acclaimed for hit work on titles such as the Hitman series. Complimenting this, we’ve taken a subtle vision of ambient sound and turned it into what sounds like a world. Samples of the most otherworldly and yet oddly familiar sounds have been crafted with care to further mold the way you perceive the environments.

Our philosophies in design and game play have been focused on a goal: easy to play, difficult to master. We don’t want to make a game so difficult to get into that nobody will take the time, yet at the same time we don’t want boredom to ever set in. While this is easier said than done, we consider this to be the ultimate measure of our work, and we take it very seriously.

In addition to this here’s a short list of interesting game play elements: PvP combat on varying levels with a measure of skill not present in any other MMORPG, no more "fire-and-forget" play where you go let the dog out while fighting, the ability to influence the world and unlock new content with your House while competing against others, in-town statues of characters which can be won in multiple ways,...and that’s just a few.

What about the combat?
pic-738.jpg
Tactical Choices:
"What we are doing with the combat system in TCoS is to increase the effect of tactical choices made by the player during combat. Furthermore we think that too many games use a combat system that is too dependent on damage outcome using formulas and percentages that sort of take away player control, and can take away the joy of victory. For instance this can be especially true of a combatant who wins due to a lucky streak of critical hits, or by using a weapon which does random bonus damage." - From the TCoS webpage.

Basically, its a real time combat engine. Much like you find in your normal FPS game. It uses a non-target based engine. What this does is force the player to play intelligently as opposed to just hitting TAB to target, then spamming the 1 button. Its fun, engaging, and really cool. You can dodge enemy attacks by actually moving out of range, move more quickly and accurately then most games for positional attacks and so on. Classes are important (as they give you the skills you use in combat), but the skill of the actual player far outweighs it.

Targeting System
"One of the things that has drastically changed in our game (in relation to most other MMOGs) is the targeting system. We have removed auto attack combat where you would target an opponent and click the attack button once and wait utill the opponent is defeated. Instead you hit where you swing by actually keeping your opponent manually targeted using a targeting 'reticule' or 'crosshair'. So if you win a battle it means your choices and reactions made the difference, not dice rolls and statistics." - TCoS website.

The Skilldeck
Skills in a character's Skillbook are not yet available during a fight; they must be placed into the Skilldeck to be used during combat.

skilldeck.jpg

The player must select several skills from the Skillbook and place these into the character's Skilldeck. The Skilldeck can be compared to a deck of cards as seen in many collectible trading card games. It consists of 6 rows (called tiers) with 5 skill-slots per row. Each skill-slot can be filled with a chosen skill, as long as the skill was learned and is available in the character's Skillbook. There are some minor rules for placing skills in the Skilldeck, but other then that the players are completely free to experiment and create their own fighting styles and tactics. Teams can coordinate the composition of their Skilldecks to increase their battle performance during large tournaments in the Quarterstone Arena.

Combat
During combat only one of the six tiers is active at any time. Combat always starts at the first tier. When a skill is executed the next tier becomes active and so on until a skill is used from the last (sixth) tier, in which case the first tier becomes active again. The time it takes before the next tier becomes activated (and thus when the next skill can be executed) depends on which skill was used and the current attack speed of the character. To execute a skill, the player selects it with the number (1 to 5) keys (this is similar to selecting a weapon in a first person shooter game) and then uses the skill with a press of their mouse button. Once used, the skill takes effect in the area where the player is aiming.

skillselector.jpg

In addition to this, skills can form combo-chains. All skills have a combo type and these combo types initiate certain bonuses if they are used in the correct order. For instance a skill can be labeled as an opener, which means that it starts a possible combo-chain. A skill labeled as a finisher ends the combo-chain and will do increased damage (or provide additional positive effects for the character, or negative effects for their opponent) depending on the skills used in between the opener and the finisher.

Being prepared is just half the work. A focused Skilldeck with flexibility to adjust against various types of opponents will greatly improve a character's battle performance. Players are free to play around with their Skilldeck and adjust it as much as they like to. They can change skills at any time (except during combat) in order to defeat a previously too difficult enemy. Players will even have the option to ‘save’ different Skilldeck setups. This can be useful if players use certain team tactics with their guild or if the player wants a special Skilldeck for use during PvP encounters.

Well, what about the different Classes?
The basis of the characters statistics are the three main attributes being Body, Mind and Focus. These main attributes are linked to the class archetypes. Warriors have body as basic attribute, rogues have the focus attribute and casters have the mind attribute.

Each class archetype has three specialized classes. The specialized classes each have the basic attribute from their archetype class plus a second attribute. This allows each specialized class to have to 2 attributes as shown in the list below.

Warrior:

* Blood Warrior (body + body)
* Adept (body + focus)
* Wrathguard (body + mind)

Caster:

* Runemage (mind + body)
* Ancestral Mage (mind + mind)
* Void Seer (mind + focus)

Rogue:

* Trickster (focus + body)
* Skinshifter (focus + focus)
* Deathhand (focus + mind)

What is there to do!?
This is short.

What is there to do in TCoS? Well there is your initial leveling, you run around from beautiful zone to beautiful zone, taking in quests and killing stuff. Almost all the quests in TCoS are unlike the quests in WoW and other MMO's.

While there are your standard kill quests, they are not your most common. One of the early quests involves the player running around and retrieving cows that got loose from the cow pen. You go find them, and lead them back to the pen. There are many like this, from very simple (not many multi-zone runs) fed ex quests, to complicated chain quests that last for 10 levels.

There is no "mini-map quest guidance", the game focus's on the player reading the rather well written quest dialog, and figuring out where to go. While the quest givers and turn in's do show up on your mini map, where to go, what to kill? That is up to you to figure out. It hearkens back to the old school MMO, where your hand is not held through your progression. Each step is entertaining and interactive.

PVP??
PvP is huge in TCoS. The entire end game rests upon it. You must choose a house faction (1 of 5) and then fight for it in the arena's, open pvp zones, and so on. Combine a PvP centric end game, with real time combat? You get fun. You get competitive game play, you get innate balance due to your actions on the keyboard and mouse, not your class.

Make with the pretty pictures already!
burning_green_district.jpg
parliament_forest_big.jpg
shot_8_creature_big.jpg
carnyx_mines_big.jpg
ormoburu_general2_big.jpg
aerial_green_district.jpg
green_district_bridge.jpg

This game is very fun. It is a massive departure from from your standard MMO. The game has a a huge PvP aspect. In fact the entire end game is based upon PvP (House Wars) and small group instances.

Anon the Felon on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I always wanted to check this out. Is there a trial?

EDIT: Yes, there is...

http://spellborn.acclaim.com/index.html

Esh on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    After spending over a half hour making my character, the server disconnected me.

FUUUUUCK.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I keep getting an execute error with Gameguard. It doesn't like Windows 7 apparently. Hopefully this gets fixed...

EDIT: From a site admin on the official forums...

"1.0.3.2 does not support Windows 7 yet. There will be a separate patch for it and it will be announced."

Esh on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah it works with XP/Vista, but 7 is to new I think for them to be up to date.

Glad to hear they are working on it already.

I am playing on the PvE server currently, didn't want to learn the game while being griefed. I am really enjoying the game so far, and will probably subscribe tonight. In game name is Hoarluk (Otaku will laugh), I joined some newbie guild for the moment. If we get enough of a PA following we can spawn up a PA guild.

I'll re-do the OP to better reflect the game tonight.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah it works with XP/Vista, but 7 is to new I think for them to be up to date.

Glad to hear they are working on it already.

I am playing on the PvE server currently, didn't want to learn the game while being griefed. I am really enjoying the game so far, and will probably subscribe tonight. In game name is Hoarluk (Otaku will laugh), I joined some newbie guild for the moment. If we get enough of a PA following we can spawn up a PA guild.

I'll re-do the OP to better reflect the game tonight.

Hopefully they fix it quickly. I've been looking forward to this game for a while. I love the art style.

Esh on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    7 isn't even a real OS yet. not that surprising

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wow, I haven't seen Acclaim's name on anything in forever. Downloading the trial now.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    7 isn't even a real OS yet. not that surprising

Yeah, but it's not so different that it shouldn't work yet. At least they are on it.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    stuck at 89% and the downloader won't move

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    OP Changed a little bit, and relinked with new stuff. Classes now link to the wiki pages.

If your having trouble getting in, just give it time. I just subscribed today, its that fun if you aren't expecting a game like anything else out right now.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    assuming the download doesn't stop dead, prematurely

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Acclaim is a shitty company tossing any free mmo they can get their paws on online without second thought. They are absolutely nothing like the company of times yore.

I hate Spellborn, as you can see in the old thread its beta was a clusterfuck and this company simply deserves to go under. The good thing about this game is the art and the idea behind the combat. Besides that this game is just no fun. Feel free to try it out, you can grind the first few levels for free iirc.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    they have changed a lot Aldo...don't spread hate before trying their fixes.

And its not free. they never billed it as free. just free trial. no box.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    they have changed a lot Aldo...don't spread hate before trying their fixes.

And its not free. they never billed it as free. just free trial. no box.
    Unless they changed the whole game around between EU release and this Acclaim version I don't believe you. Did they ever fix the plethora of "hurf durf deliver this message to that other retard NPC o'er there" and the ever present "collect n bear intestines" quests? Besides the horrible support, absolutely retarded community management and the complete lack of progression besides sometimes dinging a level and gaining one extra skill that was my biggest gripe.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    combat feels unresponsive but maybe the server was just really laggy

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ummm... Is anyone else getting this??
    virus.jpg

Seems kinda odd that a game has a virus attached to it..... is it a false alarm?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Both quests you describe are ingrained into what defines an MMORPG, or rather, a production level MMORPG.

Every single MMO since UO has included quite a few fed-ex, and kill quests. The thing I am finding in TCoS, is that those quests are not as mind numbing as in games such as WoW, and EQ2. I do find less of those quests than either of the titles I mentioned though. You seem bitter Aldo.

The first availability was indeed an open beta for the EU, NA players had to cheat in order to play it, and most of the quests/new player experience was re-written to do people having issues. Including myself.

I could describe how its radically different and much more fun. But you seem intolerant, and have already judged the game. Never mind the fact that it is free to retest, and your already spreading doom and gloom. This is not a commentary on your personality, but grow up a bit man. You are way to harsh on a game that was just coming out of a closed beta state. Its free, retry it, and if you still are expecting WAY to much from a game (which it sounds like you are, all MMO's suffer from the issues you listed), and it doesn't live up to your expectations. Quietly say your not playing and walk away.

Staying blind to a game, and posting hate is ignorant and immature man.

Virus alert thing: Yeah false alarm, my Nod32 didn't go off....nor have I heard anyone else saying thats happening.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Okay, I'ma trust you Anon.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I was in closed beta, actually, I saw this game shape up quite a bit over that time, but as it was released to public it failed to make a splash, even the Dutch gaming magazines were not very impressed by the game, even though it was the first Dutch MMO in history.

I was thinking about trying it out once more, just to see if they ever did anything with the closed beta feedback, I don't see myself paying to play this game, but I do believe I should try and flesh out my Free MMO thread a bit more for this one. At the moment I've remained fairly neutral there.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Huh. So far it seems pretty cool. I really like the combat.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Character name Urahonky? I am about to log in for the day.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Not sure what server I chose, but her name is Elerra. Level 3 Warrior type.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So is this a more MMO-ish Guild Wars? That's what the skilldeck thing sounds like?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So is this a more MMO-ish Guild Wars? That's what the skilldeck thing sounds like?
    It's Guild Wars-ish in that you can only have a limited number of skills on your character, actual combat is absolutely nothing like GW, this game's combat is more like Age of Conan.

Aldo on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just curious, but what are the system requirements for this? I was wanting to try it out at work but these computers have integrated graphics and can run some games (Gothic runs really well) but not all.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    dachishdachish Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm sad that this didn't turn out that great. I really like the concept of the world.

dachish on
    My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
    Eyes forever focused, on the sanguine, metal dawn.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Did you try it again Dachish? its not as crappy as it was when it beta'd in the EU.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    dachishdachish Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I did not. I played the beta a little a while back and I was bugged right in the tutorial so it lost a lot of points =). I didn't give it a fair shot though. Perhaps I shall try it again.

dachish on
    My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
    Eyes forever focused, on the sanguine, metal dawn.
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I will be giving it a shot, when I'm not playing WAR and doing dungeons and shit. The game sounds interesting, and I know the Unreal Engine runs awesome on my computer. It shall be tried. Is there a server we are on?

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I am on the PvE server, community is great, game play is fun. Today I had to do this big long chain quest, involved puzzles, assassinations, and playing hide and seek. Grand ol time (I am being actually serious, its nice to not get pointed around constantly, to actually play the game).

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    What do you define under EU beta by the way? They had an international beta face, then they released the games in brick-n-mortar shops in the EU and later they released it through Acclaim in the rest of the world.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I define it as: That period of time when the game was available in the EU via download. In order for non-EU players to play the game they had to go through a proxy to create an account, then play the game. About the time the other thread was up and running.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I define it as: That period of time when the game was available in the EU via download. In order for non-EU players to play the game they had to go through a proxy to create an account, then play the game. About the time the other thread was up and running.
    Ooooooh, OK. Yeah, that was actually the official release here.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    ahh, well they got some bad feedback for it and fixed all the issues.

I very good response from a developer I think, since most devs wait quite a while, or don't fix the new player experience to years if at all.

Anon the Felon on