As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flooring Question

LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So does anyone here know anything about flooring?

Real quick synopsis:

Few weeks ago toliet water supply burst, flooded my floors. I have laminate wood. Insurance company is going to replace the entire wood flooring that extends through about half the house.

Got a great deal on some real wood flooring.

Flooring company is now wanting to charge about $500 more than the cost of their quote for installation just to pull up the old flooring (Which is jus laminate wood. It's not glued down at all. You can yank it up with one hand.)

Which is funny. Because the NEW flooring -is- glue down. So that makes their estimate even odder.

So lets say the quote for putting the new flooring down is $800. The quote for the removal of the old flooring would be $1300. These aren't real numbers. Just an example. I could pull up all the flooring myself but..umm.. I am busy with work and really, my insurance company gave me money for someone else to deal with that.

Is this reasonable? Is pulling up flooring really more expensive than laying it?

Basically I was expecting the tear up of the old flooring to cost like....a tenth of what they quoted. And according to my insurance quote..it should be.

Ludious on

• I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    it shouldn't be that much to pull up. i redid the flooring of my bathroom myself and it's really easy

i was able to do it at 15-16 with minimal difficulty in about 5-6 hrs. that's pulling up the old floor, cutting new tile and laying it down. mind, not the best job, but it held up pretty well.

i would honestly suggest doing it yourself on an off day. nothing like doing the work yourself. every time you go to the bathroom you get this feeling of "YES! I DID THIS!"

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    it shouldn't be that much to pull up. i redid the flooring of my bathroom myself and it's really easy

i was able to do it at 15-16 with minimal difficulty in about 5-6 hrs. that's pulling up the old floor, cutting new tile and laying it down. mind, not the best job, but it held up pretty well.

i would honestly suggest doing it yourself on an off day. nothing like doing the work yourself. every time you go to the bathroom you get this feeling of "YES! I DID THIS!"

Yeah but I already said in my original post I didn't have time to do this. Moreover, I don't want to do it. I get zero satisfaction out of home improvement. Thirdly, my insurance company gave me money for someone else to do this. Fourthly, it's not just the bathroom. They're replacing three rooms and two hallways worth of flooring.

I'd like to request that nobody else tell me to "do it myself". I meant to do that in the OP.

Ludious on
  • WankWank Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was expecting to be floored by a deep philosophical question.

Kind of disappointed.

Wank on
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Maybe you should ask them to clarify why its so high, and get some other quotes on removal to see if they're gouging you?

If removal estimates are a lot higher than insurance is paying, I hope you haven't signed anything or cashed the check.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I plan on doing these things but I just wanted to see what the combined wisdom of PA had to say. It won't do me any good except in the confidence department. If I have a pretty solid idea that they're trying to bamboozle me it does me worlds of good in dealing with them. I just got hit with this quote at COB today, so I haven't had a chance to get other quotes etc.

I did deposit the check but I did not sign anything and my insurance company sent a letter with the check and estimate detailing what I need to do/prove if I need more money.

Ludious on
  • I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ludious wrote: »

Yeah but I already said in my original post I didn't have time to do this. Moreover, I don't want to do it. I get zero satisfaction out of home improvement. Thirdly, my insurance company gave me money for someone else to do this. Fourthly, it's not just the bathroom. They're replacing three rooms and two hallways worth of flooring.

I'd like to request that nobody else tell me to "do it myself". I meant to do that in the OP.

my answer still stands without the do it yourself part

it's easy

get a different quote

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
    edited April 2009
    Oh if anyone is wondering why I don't just walk away: A. The flooring materials cost can't be beat. B. It's the design company my dad gets supplies from for his business. So it's sort of socially awkward. Obviously, I'm not going to let that allow me to be bamboozled, but at the same time I want to know for sure that they're pulling shenanigans before I accuse them.

Ludious on
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Has anyone actually looked at the floor or was the estimate from measurements?

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    remember that as well as just time, with removal you're paying for waste disposal. and even if it does seem like a simple job it's a big layer of further work. we've been looking at changing the flooring in our place, and while we've got thickly layed tile, it's been suggested that the removal itself could cost double what the installation of the new floors would.

by all means, shop around, and make sure your contractor knows exactly what work needs to be done. but you're not talking about huge numbers here, and installing floating floorboards (i'm assuming they're floating floorboards) is a quick, in and out job for a professional. removing floorboards is a quick, in and out job with a skip-load of industrial waste.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    On top of the labour, there is the disposal fee. Unless your local landfill is free. The fee would be like 50-100 bucks anyways. Then again I could rip the floors up and clean the house up for the new flooring in less than 3 hours.

This is one of the small parts of my job. Its called emergency demolition. From my experience insurance companies have their preferred restoration companies, or a contract with one. Get another quote, unless the insurance company recommended the flooring company.

EskimoDave on
    edited April 2009
    EskimoDave wrote: »
    On top of the labour, there is the disposal fee. Unless your local landfill is free. The fee would be like 50-100 bucks anyways. Then again I could rip the floors up and clean the house up for the new flooring in less than 3 hours.

This is one of the small parts of my job. Its called emergency demolition. From my experience insurance companies have their preferred restoration companies, or a contract with one. Get another quote, unless the insurance company recommended the flooring company.

The emergency company (servepro) only ripped up the flooring that was wet. The insurance adjuster that came out later determined that my entire floor had to be replaced because they no longer produced the flooring I had down so it couldn't be repaired.

I'll just give you guys the real numbers and get rid of examples.

The cost of installation for the new glue down flooring is $1300.

The cost they're trying to sell me on for the removal of 600sq ft of floating flooring is $1800.

I watched the servepro guys tear up a good 20% of that flooring in like..10 minutes worth of labor (they took longer because they were being careful to only yank damaged floor.)

Even with waste disposal it boggles my mind. I just found a hardwood flooring website that quotes floating flooring removal at 1.00s/f which would be 500ish bucks, and since this is Mississippi, it's probably 25-50% less than that if that average is correct.

Ludious on
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'd say explain the situation to the adjuster, then go from there.

EskimoDave on
    edited April 2009
    I plan to talk all of this over and get quotes etc. I am just brainstorming tonight :) thanks.

Ludious on