As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Indie Comics Thread: ♪Let's Get Digital, Let's Get Into Digital!♪

• wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think it's supposed to be a crime/noir thing, but set in the Viking era.

Viking #1 Preview

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • reddogreddog The Mountain Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Viking is getting a lot of good press and has had a pre-release sellout. iFanboy interviews the writer in the latest iFanboy episode at Emerald City con. I'm still not sure if I want to pick it up...vikings just don't do it for me.

I'm currently catching up on Scott Pilgrim (just started book 3) and I'm loving it although sometimes it's a bit confusing cause the characters look a little too similar, or that's just me. Also found Mike Allred's Red Rocket 7 the other day for a steal! Heard great things and a must read if you like music.

reddog on
    reddog.png
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    FYI, these are some comics that have begun in the last few months whose first issue you should be able to find without too much trouble. I know I have trouble jumping into a story in the middle, so you might want to give these a spin.

For what it's worth, I thought Johnny Monster and I Hate Gallant Girl were both pretty mediocre. The stories are really straightforward, the art's not all that great, and the characters don't have much life to them. Jersey Gods was alright, but I dropped it after issue three because the writer was taking forever to get to the point. I still like the idea of putting superheroes in the suburbs and turning them loose to engage in every day shenanigans, but I doubt I'll bother reading it until the writer actually moves the story to that point.

Killer of Demons, on the other hand, has been really enjoyable, and Chew looks to be a lot of fun.

I know we're really only recommending stuff that's currently coming out, but for anyone looking for a great indie book, I heartily recommend Phil Hester's The Wretch. The whole series is collected in three TPBs, with each story being a stand alone tale about the sole defender of Glass City, the titular Wretch. The stories, more often than not, follow the lives of ordinary people just going about their daily business, until suddenly colliding with the strange or fantastic; a cereal company run by demons, a giant bulldog that devours negative emotions, or a world-destroying giant. And when that happens, the people of Glass City turn to the Wretch, who seems to possess whatever superpowers necessary to write a happy ending.

The whole series is really steeped in a lot of philosophy, as Hester uses the stories to examine his feelings on the nature of existence, religion, education, and conformity, among many other topics.

I really can't recommend it enough.

Munch on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    shit munch, that sounds good.

EDIT: after reading the amazon excerpt of volume one where
    dude uses the child's pull toy set to the voice of god

I'm pretty much sold. Now to add it to my wishlist, and then die without reading it because of how poor I am. ha!

ManonvonSuperock on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    King city and Won Ton Soup are really great too.

DouglasDanger on
    edited April 2009
    Hmmm, I think my June challenge book is gonna be Chew. It sounds too good to let pass.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I just read all five Scott Pilgrim books in the course of two evenings.

It's like crack

And now i'm stuck waiting forever and a day for the last book

Doesn't help that the last one ended on a downer and a cliffhanger

Fuck

Godfather on
    edited April 2009
    I think I will order Robotika tomorrow.

DouglasDanger on
    edited April 2009
    Okay, so I'm cheating a little and making Viking my June book. The LCS had some in stock and I couldn't resist getting it.

wwtMask on
    edited April 2009
    Updated the info post. If you're participating for may and/or you know what your May book is already, feel free to post them.

wwtMask on
    edited April 2009
    Ordered Robotika and Popgun vol 1 from amazon's used dealers. Saved a ton of money-- 50something% off of Popgun and 70something% off of Robotika, which is out of print anyway. Ordering Scalped vol 4 and Gyakushu vol 2 tomorrow.

DouglasDanger on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Still going with Irredeemable.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    edited April 2009
    Uh...you're supposed to pick a different book each month...

wwtMask on
    edited April 2009
    Not everyone can do that, Mask. I try to spend no more than 30 dollars on comix a month. I usually spend about 15 on singles and 15 on a trade or trades. I have some extra cash from my birthday last week, so I can buy more trades than usual this month.

DouglasDanger on
    edited April 2009
    I understand that, but the point of the Indie Comics Challenge is for us, collectively, to expose ourselves to as wide a selection of indie/creator-owned titles as possible. This is why I wanted the challenge to just be for singles, since at most you're spending an extra $3 a month, assuming you don't drop a title to make room for your ICC book for the month. I doesn't have to cost you more, but it will if you don't drop titles as you add the indie titles.

wwtMask on
    edited April 2009
    I see what you are trying to do and it is commendable. I am more interested in the indy graphic novel niche, so I guess I am out of the Indie Comix(it really should be comix) Challenge.

DouglasDanger on
    edited April 2009
    Not necessarily. I've added a TPB/GN/Manga challenge for May, so you're still welcome to participate in that.

wwtMask on
    edited April 2009
    DouglasDanger on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I want to finish Irredeemable before I switch. I don't like grabbing random singles. If that's not part of the challenge, I guess I'll drop off for a bit.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    edited April 2009
    These aren't current I don't think, but I did just pick up all 5 issues of Hercules: The Thracian Wars by Stever moore and Admira Wijaya, Radical Comics.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    edited May 2009
    I did want to read that series. Let me know how it is when you get a chance.

wwtMask on
    edited May 2009
    I will do that. Issue one was fun, especially if you like Greek mythology.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    edited May 2009
    Volume 2 of James Stokoe's Won-Ton Soup is coming out next week, last I heard. You should check out this big preview of vol 1

DouglasDanger on
    edited May 2009
    Robotika arrived today. Yes

DouglasDanger on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think I'm going to get Won Ton Soup along with the second volume of Popgun.

As for ongoings, does anyone know when that book about the living toys starts?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited May 2009
    I don't think I've heard of that one, Robos.

Also, I recommend everyone buy Resurrection vol. 1. It's 7 issues of story for $6, which is a steal. The story is pretty interesting, though it's definitely an opening act in that a lot of hints and clues are dropped and 5 or six plot threads are introduced but not resolved. It's supposed to be about what happens immediately after the end of an alien invasion, but there are all sorts of conspiracies and mysteries at play.

wwtMask on
    edited May 2009
    As I recall, the basic idea was that some kid gets kidnapped by a malevolent force and his toys go on a mission to rescue him. One of the comic sites had an interview with the creators a few months ago.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited May 2009
    As I recall, the basic idea was that some kid gets kidnapped by a malevolent force and his toys go on a mission to rescue him. One of the comic sites had an interview with the creators a few months ago.

I believe you're thinking of The Stuff of Legend. Great art there.

Munch on
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, that's it! Thanks.

Release date of July 15th.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited May 2009
    Robotika was really awesome, guys. I loved every panel of it. I am going to buy the next story, For a Few Rubles More I think it is called, whenever it is collected. I guess it started coming out 2 years ago, but there were a lot of delays and I don't think it is done yet.

DouglasDanger on
    edited May 2009
    I think I'm going to get Won Ton Soup along with the second volume of Popgun.

As for ongoings, does anyone know when that book about the living toys starts?

Won Ton Soup is really good.
    I, too need to get the second (And third) volume of Popgun. I liked some of the stories in vol 1 a lot, but there were some stinkers in there. Stuff that was dark and bleak and grimdark without much else going for it. Hector Plasm was cool, but the story about the astronaut guy collapsing the cave on himself and his body was odd, and not in a good way. Ditto the story about the corporate assassin guy and a few others.

James Stokoe (won ton soup's creator) had a such a weird little thing in there. Some kind of tentacle-haired rock and roll drifter floating through hell for a couple of pages to get to The Elevator out of hell. Crazy detailed awesome freaky art, but I have no idea what the hell the point of it was at all, aside from drawing whacky shit.

DouglasDanger on
    edited May 2009
    Some non-Big 2 titles out this week:
    Boom Studios

wwtMask on
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, that's it! Thanks.

Release date of July 15th.

Speaking of this, here's the entire Free Comic Book Day issue.

Munch on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I bought Viking #1 today, if that counts.

Haven't actually read it yet, but visually it's beautiful.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited May 2009
    I got the entire Hercules: The Thracian Wars run now. It was good if you like Greek mythology and the like. Also got the entirety of Pax Romana (Image) which was solid, but felt like it had a few more issues in it at least. Nice ending though. Also, haven't read Irredeemable yet, but I'll drop a note off later. Better be better than issue one or I'll drop it.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    edited May 2009
    Atomic Robo: The Shadow From Beyond Time #1You know, if I didn't already have exposure to Atomic Robo, I'd probably not be so charitable to the first issue of the Shadow from Beyond Time. It's got an interesting setup (the meteor impact at Tunguska actually being the result of Tesla and co. repelling aliens), and Wegner plays up HP Lovecraft as a schizophrenic racist very humorously. Unfortunately the entire issue is basically exposition to set up the rest of the series, and there's no action until the end (and that's not really action either). The art is great as usual; I especially liked Robos expressions and the crazy looks of HP Lovecraft. I think that if you're new to Atomic Robo, you'd be better served picking up the first couple trades to familiarize yourself with the character before diving into this series.

Irredeemable #2
    Waid's deconstruction of the Superman archetype continues, this time focusing on the Plutonian's version of Lois Lane. We get a good look at just what happens when an unstoppable man snaps, but we also get a good look at what may have led to it. Maybe it's just me, but I also saw glimpses of how imbalanced the Plutonian may have been even before the events of the issue unfolded. What is clear by the end of the issue is how desperate the situation has become, to the point that good guys and bad guys are banding together to take the guy down. The only thing I'd knock about the story is that it's pacing is a bit on the slow side. The art is still quite good, especially when you see the contrast between the Plutonian's expressions. This is probably a book you should be reading if you like superhero comics.

wwtMask on
    edited May 2009
    So Won Ton Soup 2 is coming out in a week or so. I messaged James Stokoe a few days ago, and he gave me a quick reply. Some info on his upcoming comix:
    The Popgun thing was kinda weird for me... originally it was supposed to be a multi-part story running through all the volumes, but somehow it got messed up when they were putting the book together. 4 pages were left out and the spread got split up, so I kinda lost heart with it. I'll probably do something for volume 5 though, cus they're planning something special with that.
    > >
    > > Hope you enjoy Wonton 2. It's chock full of sex bears and pineapple people.
    > >
    > > The first Murderbullets is done, and will hopefully come out sometime this year. I'm gonna try and do 2 of those a year until the series is done. It'll be kinda like a Transmetropolitan book, but more... whacky or something. More mutant manatees and knife fights and all that.
    > >
    > > Orc Stain I just picked up again last week actually. I've got like 3 issues to ink and color before I even think about it being solicited, so that probably won't start till late late in the year.
    > >
    > >
    > > ANYWAYS, hope that answers everything and thanks for the words. If you're looking for good comix, you should pick up the new Elephantmen issues by Marian Churchland. They're crazy good.
    > >
    > > Thanks Douglas,
    > > --James.

Marian Churchland is Brandon (king city etc) Graham's girlfriend. Her art is really gorgeous, although I must confess I have never purchased anything she has done. I don't think her Elephantmen stuff is out yet.

Speaking of Brandon and King City...
    kccover2smalllll.jpg
    (King City cover)

I would link Stokoe's LJ, but he removed all of the images and closed it up. Not sure why, maybe he didn't want too much of his comix being on the web-- he had a ton of stuff, especially Orkstrain and Wonton Soup 2.

DouglasDanger on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    that looks fun as shit

ManonvonSuperock on
  • AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm totally going to try King City when it comes out.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    edited May 2009
    (buy won ton soup too)
    monster preview of vol 1

DouglasDanger on