As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Indie Comics Thread: ♪Let's Get Digital, Let's Get Into Digital!♪

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:
    nah
    Mike Mignola said it was a pretty real thing.

Sooooo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNOExDrsdbg

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    IMAGE'S NOVEMBER SOLICITATIONS; definitely some cool stuff in there.

-Paul Grist is writing and drawing a back-to-basics teenage superhero story, called Mudman.
    -Benito Cereno is writing a Hack/Slash book.
    -Blair Butler's writing a comic about an MMA fighter. Could be interesting.
    -The independently-published and sold-out Our Love Is Real has been picked up by Image.
    -Frank Cho's Guns and Dinos is launching.
    -Gladstone's School For World Conquerors and Super-Dinosaur are getting their first (and bargain-priced) TPBs.
    -Morning Glories is being released in a twelve-issue hardcover, and The Mission, Reed Gunther, and Fearless are being released in TPB, all of which I've heard good things about, but could never find in singles.
    mudman_1_72.jpg

our_love_cover_72.jpg

elephantmen_giant_1_72.jpg

guns_dinos_1_72.jpg

haunt_21_72.jpg

reed_gunther_tp_72.jpg

gladstones_07_72.jpg

fearless_tp_72.jpg

last_greats_2_cov_b_72.jpg

In not-so-cool stuff, the Pilot Season books all look really tired and uninteresting, including one solicitation that almost seems like a joke, given the company publishing it.
    CBR wrote:
    PILOT SEASON: SERAPH #1
    story LANCE BRIGGS & PHIL HESTER
    art & cover JOSE LUIS
    NOVEMBER 23
    32 PAGES / FC / T+
    $3.99
    PILOT SEASON RETURNS! TAKE CONTROL!
    The angelic warrior now known only as Seraph was once a sinner. After living a life of selfishness and sin, personal tragedy drove him to kill himself. Plucked on his way to Hell by Heaven, the man was made Heaven’s soldier in an endless battle. Charged with fighting an ancient war, but bound by God’s law, can Seraph triumph over opponents not restricted in the same way and regain his faith in the process?

I love Phil Hester, but c'mon guys.

Also, Vescell has one of the most pretentious solicitation texts I've ever seen.
    CBR wrote:
    VESCELL #4
    story ENRIQUE CARRION
    art / cover JOHN UPCHURCH
    NOVEMBER 23
    32 PAGES / FC / M
    $2.99
    “CHURCH OF FAME”
    This solicitation has to be 50 words or less...but why write so little when a picture is worth a thousand? Just check the cover.
    vescell_4_72.jpg

Yeah, have fun with that.

• GankGank Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Je-sus, it's hard to find a part of that Vescell solicit that's not pretentious.

However, I'm definitely getting Last of The Greats, Guns and Dinos and the Fearless TPB. I really hope Fearless is as good as it sounds.

Still not sure about Our Love is Real though...

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Ha, Bizarro Spawn.

• AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    Reed Gunther is fantastic. Glad to see it's getting a trade so soon.

soempty.jpg
    Gank wrote:
    Je-sus, it's hard to find a part of that Vescell solicit that's not pretentious.

Seriously, the only time that kind of, "Don't read this, just look at the cover!" tactic should be used, is when the cover has like, vikings fighting dinosaurs or something.

Not when it looks like an '80s album cover.

Justin Jordan discusses The Strange Talent of Luther Strode.

Sounds like an interesting take on the real-world-superheroes genre, and I'm enjoying the art.

edited August 2011
    No mention of the fact that he stole Flex Mentallo's origin, and then tried to paint it as his own unique idea?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2011
    I think the idea of using a faux-Charles Atlas advertisement, in order to get big and strong, is a pretty generic concept. I mean, it seemed to pop up in Saturday Morning Cartoons often enough. And as the writer says, this story's meant to be more of a modern day horror story, with the lead character waffling between superhero, and monster, and not a mind-bending meditation on superheroes.

Unless his flexing causes the words, "Hero of the Beach" to appear over his head, I wouldn't classify this is as some kind of ripoff.

Munch on
    Using it to get big and strong is generic, but I think that using it to become a superhuman is distinctly Morrison's idea. There's a short distance between a body builder and a superhero, of course, but I don't think the ad or its parodies ever made that connection.

In any case, it's weird that neither the guy nor the interviewer acknowledge Mentallo, especially given how high-profile his creator is.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The TMNT reboot was a good first issue, from someone who only remembers reading a few of the Eastman/Laird comics but mainly the cartoon comics from the early 90's. I kind of like the way they got their names this time.

Dark Horse is releasing The Complete Major Bummer this Wednesday.

For no one who was reading comics years ago, buy this. It's Doug Mahnke and John Arcudi, doing a hilarious superhero parody.

How did Dark Horse get the rights to that?

I was wondering that myself. It seems like DC would have been anxious to hold onto it, since Mahnke's kind of a big deal now. Maybe it was just one of those deals where the rights would revert back to Mahnke and Arcudi, after a certain period of time.

PIGS #1 has an ending that comes out of nowhere. Tony Daniel should take notes, because that's how you do a last page reveal.

And man does the book have a lot of cussing in it, Cosby is making up time for working on Marvel Adventures stuff, it seems.

"Every Russian dreams to see a coconut"

Yeah, PIGS was really good.

Though, I have to wonder how that last-page reveal can be topped, in terms of the mayhem the team's going to cause. I mean, that seems like it's setting the bar pretty high.

Really good first issue, though.

Severed #2 was really good, I just like the general scope of the story. This is 1916, so you have kids smoking and minstrel shows, on top of a cannibal boogeyman. The situations Jack finds himself in are realistic, and you can really get a sense that as he travels along he's starting to lose his rose colored view of the world. It also has some of the best art I've seen with Futaki, with lovely colors.

The series is up on Comixology too, so give it a look if you've enjoyed anything you've read from Snyder so far.

Near Death #1 is a good read if you want a crime book that blends a bit of My Name is Earl into it. Basically, a hitman has a near death experience and realizes he needs to balance the scales by protecting people instead of killing them. Tight pacing, good setup, and the story clearly feels like it's being written for a TV show format. It's a solid story fro Faerber and worth a look if you enjoy crime books.

edited September 2011
    Huh, I forgot Faerber had that coming out. He actually originally conceived that as a TV show, before being persuaded by someone at Image, to make it into a comic. The premise doesn't sound great, but I like Faerber's writing, so I'll probably buy it once the TPB's released. He wrote a crime book called Dodge's Bullets years ago, and it was pretty fun, too.

In other news, I purchased Beast on Tuesday, after poring over Marian Churchland's blog for a few hours the same day. I'd been aware of the book for a while, but I figured I should go ahead and buy it, considering she already gave me hours of entertainment for free.

I'm still not sure what I think about it. Don't get me wrong, I really, really enjoyed it. The art's top-notch, the dialogue's sharp, and she can draw animals' facial expressions, like no other artist I've ever seen. The book itself is a beautiful package, well-printed and designed, with a semi-gloss cover, much like the early volumes of Invincible.

But the story left me unsure of how to feel, or what idea she was trying to get across.
    In a nutshell, the story's about a modern day Beauty and the Beast.

The beauty, a young sculptor named Collette, disappointed with how her life's turned out post-art school. She has a poor relationship with her deadbeat father, and a worse relationship with her recently-ex-boyfriend. Soon, through one of her father's contacts in the art world, Collette is hired to sculpt a portrait of a mysterious client, using a giant block of incredibly rare marble. As it turns out, her client is an inhuman creature, seemingly formed entirely from wispy shadows. Against her better judgement, she decides to stay in the house, and work on the sculpture, as agreed. For weeks she toils away in the studio, slowly growing closer to the Beast, and learning more of his past.

As it turns out, the marble Collette's currently sculpting once belonged to Beast's former master, a sculptor who lived some centuries ago. But, before said sculptor could begin working on the marble, his sister, herself a gifted prodigy, chiseled it into a new shape, ruining it beyond repair. As the story progresses, we eventually learn that Beast, in love with the sculptor's sister, had taken her into his home, and attempted to nurture her talents, before she "disappeared."

Later still, it's revealed that when Beast said she "disappeared," he meant that she had changed, her old self vanishing, and her new self emerging, with the two of them living out their lives together, presumably until her death.

The sculpture finally finished, Beast is pleased, and tells Collette that he'll soon be leaving for parts unknown. Collette returns to her old life. Her deadbeat father absconds with the money Beast paid her, which was to pay her rent for the next year. Her reunion with her ex-boyfriend finds him jealous of her mysterious client, and pretty bitter to boot. She's forced to take on work she finds beneath her, like doing portraits of family pets. Basically, she's right back to square one.

But, deciding she must see Beast before he leaves forever, she returns to his house, but finds it utterly empty. Eventually searching the tool shed in the backyard, she finds a trapdoor, which leads to a giant, cavernous basement, with what seems to be Renaissance-era architecture, and thousands of blocks of un-sculpted marble.

An unseen Beast explains a bit more about his relationship with the young prodigy whom he took in centuries ago, and Collette begs him not to go, promising that if he stays, she'll carve every block of marble he has. Slowly, a hand forms from the shadows, reaching out to touch Collette's arm.

Fin

Like I said, I'm just not sure what to make of it. Beast and Collette never appear overly affectionate towards one another over the course of the book. He encourages her in her work, but otherwise they just seem like polite acquaintances. Beast presumably sees a bit of his old paramour in Collette, which is why he likes her.

But, I just don't really know what the broader theme of the book is supposed to be. When real life sucks, retreat into a pleasant fantasy where you get to hang out with a cool dude made of shadows, and work on art all day?

If anyone else has read this, I'd be curious to see what your reaction to it was.

Munch on
    I guess Brilliant belongs here out of anywhere else.

It wasn't that good. Bagley's art is as good as always, he just has very little to work with, and there is a lot of wasted panels. There's a Robotech/Transformers costume fight that's probably the most he's allowed to draw some action in the issue. The story itself is paced really weird for being primarily a talking head issue, and while it doesn't have the more obnoxious type of bendis speak with the interrupting/say it again/joke/interrupting the interrupting, it's still there. And the actual hook of the story given at the end just didn't interest me, mainly because I don't care about the inspiration behind college kids getting superpowers. And it could be because everyone in the group is a Reed Richards it seems, there's no character I can connect with. There is also this weird feeling with the way the book uses swear words that it doesn't really want to use them the way college kids would, but they show up just to say this is an Icon book.

Kind of disappointed, because the idea seemed interesting but the writing is just kind of there.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Next time I order from Amazon I'm getting Rocketeer Chew, Sixth Gun, and Bone. Any suggestions you all might want to make?

• Hello WaterfaceHello Waterface Sweet Little Rock 'n' Roller In the timbers of FennarioRegistered User regular
    So, I would totally buy the latest issue of Cowboy Ninja Viking... if it actually came out, :-(

Welcome to Miami Beach, ladies and gentlemen. Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Please take my advice.
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Next time I order from Amazon I'm getting Rocketeer Chew, Sixth Gun, and Bone. Any suggestions you all might want to make?

king city
    orc stain
    robotika
    blame
    biomega

PIGS #2 was a good continuation of the first issue, and now we have a character who the reader can rally behind. It doesn't break the mold or have a really big swerve like the last issue, but it's solid in the story it's trying to tell and the conflict that arises from having to perform a job you were forced to do.

Man.

I did not like Pigs #2, at all. I dunno, maybe I'm expecting more crazy action from the series, given how nuts the cliffhanger page for #1 was. But, when a really awesome cover asks, "Who is the White Russian?" I don't expect the answer to be--
    -- "Kind of a wimp!"

I agree that it creates a character that the audience can sympathize with, and cheer on. But I dunno, it would have been nice to see a glimpse of this guy's potential, and why he's so desired.

In reality I think it works because they guy is now a family man, who was the best of the group, apparently, but now just doesn't care to take orders for old and worn out ideologies.

Who knows, the swerve could be
    that threat in the bathroom was actually inside the guys head, and the cubans showing up simply triggered some manchurian device in him and that's what will create the conflict

Well, a month later, and PIGS #3 is losing me. It's running into some usual cliches now, and one of the things that kind of annoys me about indie books is that they have their own sets of cliches that the big 2 books have, and seem content just rehashing the same things over and over again. Fat corrupt politician, foul mouthed redshirts, crazy supporting cast/possible antagonist it's the same playbook all the time. Especially when it comes to something about loose ends of the cold war, it's now kind of checking off the boxes on each side of the US/ Soviet list.

Get back to that great first issue reveal, or I'm jumping ship with #4 (or rather, swimming to Florida hyuck hyuck)

edited November 2011
    Mudman #1 is a nice first issue, and does something a lot of books don't really do with teen heroes, get the origin, a grasp of the protagonist's powers and family, and has and the hero to don the costume in the first issue. As the name implies, you have a kid who can turn into mud, after being shot and falling into a magical pile of mud. It sounds stupid but it's played completely straight, and because of that you realize that mud might not be a bad power after all.

Only thing I saw wrong is that it misspells favourite ;)

If you are bummed at the pace and direction of the existing teen hero books like Ultimate Spidey or Blue Beetle, give this book a shot, I think you'll like the pace and dialogue.

TexiKen on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I'm kinda lost as to the whole challenge thing , ( no one's fault but me, on a day like this I'd probably have trouble playing Go Fish! )

but I'll toss in for new rec's, already been led to a lot of great indies to my pull ( and always ready for more good stuff, cause my one downside with indies is I only see 1 a month, sometimes 2)

Pulled: Chew, Walking Dead, Sweet Tooth, Fables, ( love all these, need more good stuff in the pulls)
    Owned: Scott Pilgrim all TPBs ( ditto on these, but no idea what it's similar to)
    Recent Singles: Our Love is Real ( What the hell did I just read, oh well I got some good laughs, even if highly confused)

I'd love some suggestions, and could even join the challenge, if I'm not misunderstanding it, I always have extra bucks for comics , ( years ago I quit drugs, using comics, and comics even now are way way cheaper than a drug addiction, so I'm always up for something new and awesome)

My only worry is, I like a challenge, but I have an addiction for well written indy, if my pull list grows by like 20 titles, will I lose if I don't get a new single the following either cause, holy crap 2-30 pulls, or because of no singles to get cause pulling them all hah!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    I think the "Challenge" bit has fallen away, and this thread's now a more general, "Hey, these non-Marvel/DC books are cool, and you should read them."

Speaking of which, I also bought Mudman #1. I loved the art and concept, and the dialogue and pacing were pretty good. But, I feel like I'm going to need a few more issues, before I really get a sense of how I'll like this series. Right now, I'm struck by the feeling of how simultaneously minimalist and dense it feels. When we're viewing Adam Craig/Mudman's civilian life, the pages are packed with panels, creating a kind of claustrophobia. But, when the superhero stuff comes into play, the panels suddenly open up a lot more, with more wide angles and splash pages.

It's an interesting book, and a pretty good first issue. But, I'm waiting for it to really distinguish itself from all the other teen superhero books. Because right now Grist is really working in pretty familiar archetypes and cliches.

Also, I picked up Heart #1 last week, and greatly enjoyed it. In a nutshell, it's the story of an office drone turned amateur mixed martial artist, who's been sleepwalking through life, but suddenly finds purpose and pride in fighting. But in spite of that, he seems to be growing disenfranchised with the whole thing, sulking backstage even after he wins his fights.

Despite its niche nature (sports + comics + black and white art = limited appeal), I think it's a book that anyone would enjoy. Everyone's been in a rut at some point or another, and had to pull themselves out of it. And everyone's found something they really enjoyed initially, but slowly grew disillusioned with.

On top of that, the art's really good, and actually does a good job displaying various moves used in MMA, which isn't easy.

Finally, I bought Haunt #18 this week, the conclusion of McFarlane, Kirkman, and Capullo's run, and holy crap was it bad. There's five pencillers, which gives an uneven, rough look to a comic that's looked fantastic since issue #1. Kirkman immediately undoes the interesting last-page reveal of #17, within the first few pages, and then spends more time dwelling on it than is necessary. Nothing from the previous seventeen issues is resolved, with several new, cryptic plot threads being created, to be picked up by oncoming writer Joe Casey.

Honestly, it feels like the whole creative team just realized they had better stuff to do, and phoned in the last issue. I mean, Kirkman's got his new responsibilities with The Walking Dead tv show, as well as all his comic projects, McFarlane's apparently becoming more involved with Spawn again, and Capullo's drawing Batman. It's a bummer, because this is a book I've really enjoyed, and plan to continue enjoying under the new creative team.

But, this feels less like the end of an era it should, and more like something you'd expect to find in the middle of an arc, to pad out a story.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ok, cool, ya I was looking for an indy thread and found this, Mudman sounds interesting, I'll prob grab that , but wondering if any ongoing's that are a little deeper in.
    ( Also I forgot to add Locke and Key to my previous post for pull list)

Even a good standalone would be welcome , most recent I picked up for a standalone/mini was an adaptation of Pk Dicks Electric Ant, ( which was completely awesome and really true to the source, I recommend it if you can find it)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Mr. Brandon "NSFW" Graham:
    So the cat is out of the bag, the King city collection comes out from Image comics on February 22nd in black and white 424 pages same golden age size as the Image issues. for $19.99. Here’s the cover.

The Tick meets Invincible, in The Tick #100.

Seven bucks is pretty steep for only 24 pages of original content, and a 20 page History of the Tick, using artwork from previous issues.

Also, I can't seem to find The Tick on Comixology. I can't even find any kind of website/homepage for The Tick, which seems weird. I mean, the character's been a comic, cartoon, live action sitcom, and action figures. Seems like he'd at least have an official site, and a place to buy assorted merchandise.

http://www.necpress.com/tick.aspx
    closest i could find

D'oh.

That's on the third page of Google results, when you search for "The Tick."

Still, good to know.

this was the first result for "the tick comics" for me
    http://www.newenglandcomics.com/

i found that linked within

• GankGank Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Antimatter wrote:
    this was the first result for "the tick comics" for me
    http://www.newenglandcomics.com/

i found that linked within

My first result sent me backwards through time some 15 years (in style at least)) to this site.

It's... oddly detailed, has a dedicated FanFiction area filled with two, count em, two stories (one of which is titled "Untitled") and was created by someone who decided to make this: Legg-Tick3.jpg
    the only image of himself on the entire site.

It did however enlighten me to the fact that Ben Edland had been involved in Venture Bros (writing episodes and voicing) and that Chris Mculloch had been a writer for the Tick cartoon.

Learn something new every day!

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    I guess Brandon Graham's The Voice debuts in Dark Horse Presents #7 tomorrow, even though he's not listed in any of the credits that I can find online. Apparently, it's about a man who dies, even though parts of him, like his voice, shadow, and doubts, continue to live on. Seems to have a nice noir tone, which I can get behind.

CM2YQ.jpg

I want to own this page so bad, but it seems it's not available. It's just such a neat little creative metaphor, summed up in one page.

• Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    I love Brandon Graham's work so much.

SO MUCH.