As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Policies & Procedures Brainstorming Thread

• Options
    Vindicta_Vindicta_ Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Well, with D&D I know we have at least one fairly conservative minded individual on the current mod staff. Have you gone to El Jeffe to point this pattern out? Have you tried to point out an example of that particular pattern to any of the mods in the past?

Can you provide examples of it now?

I'm not saying you're both liars, I'm sure there's a solid basis for your statements. But we need to be shown what's being done that is wrong before you can expect any changes to occur. If you guys are willing to put in the effort exposing instances that you find problematic, I've got no doubt that the D&D mods will be willing to at least discuss them in the mod forum, and if you can't find a D&D mod to bring up your concerns there for you, go outside D&D. A lot of mods read forums beyond their "home" forum and would be interested in helping make those forums better places in general if someone pointed out a way they could do so.

Remember, we're still forumers in addition to being mods.

I think he may have been referring to this, at least as the most recent one.

Vindicta_ on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Vindicta_ wrote:
    Invisible wrote:
    A lot don't read the rules thread as it is, what would having additional stickies do?

I agree with this point. Would it be possible to have them as part of the signing up agreement (which I know people typically don't read but at least they wouldn't be taking up front page space), and then have a main master sticky here in the monkey den containing all the rules for all the various sub forums?

No.

Because:

a) You only see that agreement once, when you sign up.

b) A sticky with all of the various forum specific rules and provisions would be a pain in the ass to peruse to check the rules for a specific forum. I think it might be interesting to compile a listing of all the common rules, and then all of the specific rules divided into separate sub-sections, but as a functional way for a forumer to double check the rules of the forum they're about to post in, it fails.

I think rules posts for each forum could be shaken up a bit. Maybe the first post in each rules sticky could be the forum specific ones, and then a second post could contain the general rules. And we could maybe also have a sticky here, since too many stickies here isn't gonna become a problem, since it's not much of a discussion forum anyhow.

That's gonna be a lot of work to figure out though, on our part as mods. So whether or not it gets done is going to depend on how heavily demanded it is.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Vindicta_ wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Well, with D&D I know we have at least one fairly conservative minded individual on the current mod staff. Have you gone to El Jeffe to point this pattern out? Have you tried to point out an example of that particular pattern to any of the mods in the past?

I'm not saying you're both liars, I'm sure there's a solid basis for your statements. But we need to be shown what's being done that is wrong before you can expect any changes to occur. If you guys are willing to put in the effort exposing instances that you find problematic, I've got no doubt that the D&D mods will be willing to at least discuss them in the mod forum, and if you can't find a D&D mod to bring up your concerns there for you, go outside D&D. A lot of mods read forums beyond their "home" forum and would be interested in helping make those forums better places in general if someone pointed out a way they could do so.

That's a bullshit example for reasons I doubt I should have to explain rather thoroughly.

If it wasn't bad enough on its face, there's also the fact that it was a thread created by an alt of russia32 that he made for the purpose of trolling.

I'm sure there's a valid example out there. Come on, people.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:

Alright, I'll bring it up next time it happens.

Shinto on
  • Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Man I've got an example from D&D. Some people mentioned that whites are still controlling blacks and I disagreed. I said that real progress had been made in race relations and while yes, we still have a longs way to go, blacks are not still "dominated and controlled" by whites anymore.

And hoo boy. I evidently was a white supremacist and I saw people saying in the Chat Thread how "Talonrazor says white man is oppressed, olol". So eh. If you aren't a liberal and you post in D&D, then you must be a fucking idiot.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Most of the ones I've seen have been the result of the OP failing to lurk for more than five seconds before posting their absolutely brilliant opinion for the edification of whoever, so I can't be of much help.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Vindicta_ wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:

That's a bullshit example for reasons I doubt I should have to explain rather thoroughly.

If it wasn't bad enough on its face, there's also the fact that it was a thread created by an alt of russia32 that he made for the purpose of trolling.

Pretty much any religion thread ever, although the ten-page rule seems to have helped somewhat.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Pretty much any religion thread ever, although the ten-page rule seems to have helped somewhat.
    Aren't religion threads generally started by a reg or a Rambozo alt, though?

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It isn't jusr OPs, it is people who post in the middle of a thread.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Talonrazor wrote:
    Man I've got an example from D&D. Some people mentioned that whites are still controlling blacks and I disagreed. I said that real progress had been made in race relations and while yes, we still have a longs way to go, blacks are not still "dominated and controlled" by whites anymore.

And hoo boy. I evidently was a white supremacist and I saw people saying in the Chat Thread how "Talonrazor says white man is oppressed, olol". So eh. If you aren't a liberal and you post in D&D, then you must be a fucking idiot.

This is what I'm saying.

Shinto on
  • Options
    anyprophetanyprophet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Shinto wrote:
    Talonrazor wrote:

This is what I'm saying.

How do you think us Libertarians feel?

Each board here tends to have its own personality and I don't see anything wrong with it. I think G&T is a good example of what happens when you add too many rules. The place just feels like every other general video game board. Now it's just a place to grab news headlines.

anyprophet on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    bone daddy wrote:
    Aren't religion threads generally started by a reg or a Rambozo alt, though?
    Yes, although anyone who says "You know, religion really isn't that bad" - even other regs - will instantly get gangraped by a half-dozen atheists and, perhaps, one philosophy student.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    anyprophet wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    Talonrazor wrote:

This is what I'm saying.

Each board here tends to have its own personality and I don't see anything wrong with it. I think G&T is a good example of what happens when you add too many rules. The place just feels like every other general video game board. Now it's just a place to grab news headlines.

Libertarian complaing about too many rules, ironic that. :lol:

I agree completely though, its a bit hard on the conversation.

The talk about D&D is completely right though, you see new posters with differing views get shot down and circled like raving liberal vultures. I am saying this as a very liberal person, though one who loves to hear differing opinions. The number of people who stop lurking, sign up to enter a D&D discussion that they feel strongly about, and then get savaged and never return is probably pretty damn high, though some of those people are pretty out there, like that guy who takes the Gospel as literal truth.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Shinto wrote:
    Talonrazor wrote:

This is what I'm saying.

Again, I'm putting forth this simple suggestion:

If you feel you're being unjustifiably harassed for having a dissenting opinion, shoot a mod a PM with some examples of the harassment and ask them to step in. If they blow you off or ignore you, find someone else. You should very quickly find someone who will give you a reasonable response regarding whether or not they see a real problem. Generally speaking, if you're reasonable in your request, we'll do our best to be reasonable in our reply.

"u need to ban theez gays" isn't going to be seen as a reasonable request, for the record.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm curious if we can have some kind of rule put in about opening posts.

That Magical Starsign thread, for example... I guess technically doesn't break any, but it makes me want to go pace in the angry dome.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Aroduc wrote:

That Magical Starsign thread, for example... I guess technically doesn't break any, but it makes me want to go pace in the angry dome.
    I actually locked it briefly because it sucked so bad, but I reopened it so I could give the guy some suggestions.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    In D&D a thread will often get locked if the OP sucks even if there is decent discussion going on in the thread by the time a mod shows up.

Edit: Haven't seen this in a while though. Maybe they changed policy.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2006
    Aroduc wrote:

I actually locked it briefly because it sucked so bad, but I reopened it so I could give the guy some suggestions.

Yeah, and I just sort of came to the "oh duh" conclusion that having a rule about it won't do anything because there's a correlation of thought and effort and paying attention to forum rules and whatnot.

Now I'm going to conquer the Mongols.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Having just noticed this thread, I have noticed that sometimes mods will lock threads or threaten to lock threads because they simply don't like them or they clearly didn't read the OP, (shocking I know), which in its own way dooms the thread to failure.

I recall an extended period of time where the forum culture was much slanted towards just making arbitrary one liner replies to so-so threads, which ultimately lead to their downfall. Then mods started jailing people for that, expanding the "in before the lock" rule.

But mods who rush to conclusions on equally borderline threads and question their legitamacy can sometimes create the lemming effect, and ruin a potentially valid discussion.

So. I'm just saying. Don't kill threads if you don't want us to kill them for you~

Jasconius on
  • Options
    bananabreadbananabread Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    anyprophet wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    Talonrazor wrote:

This is what I'm saying.

This is exactly the way I'm feeling at the moment as well. I liked the way G&T was it's own community which was pretty much self-policing in terms of idiot prevention. Then all these rules came in and suddenly it reads simply like any other gaming forum. It also moves a lot slower because a lot of regular posters have either slowed down their posting now that next-gen speculation time is over, or have just become dissatisfied with the state of the forum and have stopped posting entirely.

The whole community feel was the reason I started reading here for my gaming news, as opposed to one of the bigger forums.

bananabread on
    your sig was too long <3 orik
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    anyprophet wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    Talonrazor wrote:

This is what I'm saying.

This is exactly the way I'm feeling at the moment as well. I liked the way G&T was it's own community which was pretty much self-policing in terms of idiot prevention. Then all these rules came in and suddenly it reads simply like any other gaming forum. It also moves a lot slower because a lot of regular posters have either slowed down their posting now that next-gen speculation time is over, or have just become dissatisfied with the state of the forum and have stopped posting entirely.

The whole community feel was the reason I started reading here for my gaming news, as opposed to one of the bigger forums.

But what can be done to build a community? Or more importantly where do you see a lack of community? Just this weekend I played Gundam Online with several people from G&T and I know there's numerous other [Game On] threads and general discussion threads out there. There's even a G&T podcast. Community is what you make it. I personally think PA has a great community, just some people don't want to take advantage of it beyond their little sandbox.

Invisible on
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

G&T is hardly like other gaming forums. The rules here actually make sense. Most of the posts in the rules thread are just elaborations on the 'don't be a dick' rule. We're hardly turning into GameFAQs. More like /v/, except with some anti-spam rules.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think it's that the forum community has taken more of an "off the forum" approach. A few years ago there were dozens of forum themed threads and activities to build relationships, now if people want to socialize with one another they instead play online games or organize various "mini PAX"s all over the country. Not that either way is better, just different.

Javen on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    jmillikin wrote:
    G&T is hardly like other gaming forums. The rules here actually make sense. Most of the posts in the rules thread are just elaborations on the 'don't be a dick' rule. We're hardly turning into GameFAQs. More like /v/, except with some anti-spam rules.
    Wait, wait.

Did you just compare G&T with a messageboard on 4chan?

Christ on a crutch. /v/ is about the only gaming forum in the whole damned Intertubes I'd consider worse than GameFAQs.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Holy fucking christ.

REgistration need that thing where you have to type down numbers that are all wonky looking and hard to see in that image.

Maybe that will cut down on those fucking spammers.

JJ on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    JJ wrote:
    Holy fucking christ.

REgistration need that thing where you have to type down numbers that are all wonky looking and hard to see in that image.

I'll say it before a mod just explodes because someone hasn't read the thread yet.

Bolded and underlined so people will read it.

THIS VERSION OF THE FORUMS CANNOT BE CHANGED LIKE THAT. IDEAS LIKE THE ONE ABOVE ARE FOR THE NEXT VERSION.

ronzo on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2006
    Avris wrote:
    JJ wrote:
    Holy fucking christ.

I'll say it before a mod just explodes because someone hasn't read the thread yet.

THIS VERSION OF THE FORUMS CANNOT BE CHANGED LIKE THAT. IDEAS LIKE THE ONE ABOVE ARE FOR THE NEXT VERSION.

Actually, I'm 95% certain you're incorrect. Unless these spambots are specifically designed for the PA forums, you could do it with a non-random CAPTCHA and just force them to type "phallawang" or something in there as part of the registration process and make it especially difficult for an automated system to parse (heavily distort the letters, plus lots of background noise).

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    Avris wrote:
    JJ wrote:
    Holy fucking christ.

Actually, I'm 95% certain you're incorrect. Unless these spambots are specifically designed for the PA forums, you could do it with a non-random CAPTCHA and just force them to type "phallawang" or something in there as part of the registration process and make it especially difficult for an automated system to parse (heavily distort the letters, plus lots of background noise).
    Regardless, it's been suggested numerous times over the past several months. If it were able to go in, it would've gone in.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2006
    Makershot wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Regardless, it's been suggested numerous times over the past several months. If it were able to go in, it would've gone in.

The search function wasn't working for about six straight months, it must have been impossible to implement that too.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    Makershot wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:

The search function wasn't working for about six straight months, it must have been impossible to implement that too.

no, it was already implemented, it just didn't work properly because our database was getting fucked with huge razor dildoes

we asked alpha if he could put in a captcha months ago and he tried and we've done so much custom shit to the software if we poke it anymore it might fall apart completely

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2006
    having dabbled excessively in phpbb over the years, I can say with all certainty that you can integrate a "mostly" bulletproof CAPTCHA-like system just fine into a phpbb environment.

However, as I know for a fact this forum is a frankenmonster of mods and code revisions from many years of tweaking, I am fairly sure you can't just drop an easymod app into it and expect good results.

Either way, I am sure they would love to do it if it were a cut and dry affair. But, in truth, I am just looking forward to seeing what the new boards are going to look like, when they are released in 2019.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    Makershot wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:

no, it was already implemented, it just didn't work properly because our database was getting fucked with huge razor dildoes

we asked alpha if he could put in a captcha months ago and he tried and we've done so much custom shit to the software if we poke it anymore it might fall apart completely

I've always wondered what customization has been done. is there anything else there aside from the jailing function (something that, as far as I know, is unique to PA) and I'm guessing the thing with mods making themselves "temp-mods" of their non-native subforums?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    off the top of my head (and i'm a newbie, basically:)

postcounts, ban system, jailing, wordfilter, spoilers, heavy permissions editing, security hacks, mod powers increased, the deputy system (for a time)...

and i'm sure that i'm just scratching the surface

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2006

My point was that that problem existed a hell of a lot longer than we've been asking about implementing a simple CAPTCHA. And the two aren't even comparable on difficulty scale anyway. Hell, there are free CAPTCHA services out there that could be used. I was just saying that just because it's gone a couple months without happening doesn't mean that it's impossible at all. Didn't Alpha mysteriously vanish for at least a large chunk of that time anyway?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

postcounts, ban system, jailing, wordfilter, spoilers, heavy permissions editing, security hacks, mod powers increased, the deputy system (for a time)...

huh, I thought things like postcount display on/off and wordfilters were standard Messageboard fare

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    it's not happening until the new forums, because our phpbb isn't compatible with the mods.

as i understand it, we are like a horrible mutant and the core phpbb is like a normal dude, and we're trying to do organ transplants.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Lanz wrote:

huh, I thought things like postcount display on/off and wordfilters were standard Messageboard fare
    *shrug*

I haven't got a fucking clue where this stuff is concerned.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    DonaldRumsfeldDonaldRumsfeld Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    turning on postcount here would be like giving a monkey a loaded gun

DonaldRumsfeld on
    111111A.png
  • Options
    omgboomlolomgboomlol __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Postcounts are lame. And if you do have four billion posts that's really nothing to be proud of. It's sort of sad, actually.

The kind of thing that maybe you should keep to yourself.

omgboomlol on
    omgboomlolud1.gif
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2006
    Here's the thing; Alpha has told us that a CAPTCHA system can't be implemented at the moment, and he has access to the database and all the code. Much as I'm sure you guys know what you're talking about (far more than me) I trust Alpha's opinion over yours because he knows more about our situation than you do. He doesn't have any particular reason to lie that I'm aware of. This isn't some mod conspiracy so that we can keep having ban threads. I don't like locking ten spam threads a day. The fact is that there doesn't seem to be anything we can do about it, and Alpha isn't reading this thread. If everyone could therefore please shut up about how we could totally implement it and the mods r just lazy f4gs I'd really appreciate it.

Tube on