As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Policies & Procedures Brainstorming Thread

12223242628

Posts

  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    People (at least the ones that would make meaningful contributions) are generally afraid to do that though, because if a thread looks questionable, posting in them is sometimes jailable.

    I now there's been times I've wanted to reply to a bad OP with something but didn't because I was afraid I'd get jailed for posting in a "stillborn thread."

    I think the "don't post in stillborn threads" rule is silly. Yeah, you should probably get jailed for shitting on the thread, but trying to make the thread good by making good posts shouldn't be jailable.

    Edit: Wait the "don't post in spam threads" sticky is gone. Maybe they changed the rule. I dunno, finals have been distracting.

    deadonthestreet on
  • Mighty JMighty J Registered User
    edited December 2006
    I dunno if this has already been mentioned, but the "I just bought a _____, recommend me some games!" threads in G&T.

    You think maybe there could be some kind of "If you just bought a system, please go to IGN/Gamespot/Gametrailers.com or just walk your ass to a game shop to figure out what games you want to get." mention in the rules thread?

    Mighty J on
    sig.pl?mightyj
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Mighty J wrote:
    I dunno if this has already been mentioned, but the "I just bought a _____, recommend me some games!" threads in G&T.

    You think maybe there could be some kind of "If you just bought a system, please go to IGN/Gamespot/Gametrailers.com or just walk your ass to a game shop to figure out what games you want to get." mention in the rules thread?

    I'm going to have to agree. I despise those threads, they annoy me more than poll threads, because it's essentially "list every game ever released for the system! Oh and if it's bc, list all the old games too!"

    Though, if they had a little more direction, I wouldn't mind them. Like "I'm looking for SRPGs for the DS" wouldn't bother me, provided people didn't just go "1. FFTA, 2. TO:KoL..." without discussion. Because I feel the whole point of those threads is not only to find out about games you may have missed, but also get personal feedback on them. But that's just a pipe dream isn't?

    Invisible on
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Viral marketers have maybe hit G&T and frankly it's annoying. They have been sighted so far in the PS3 thread, and the Viral marketing gone wrong thread.

    There is worst.name.ever who makes fake fan sites for a living (according to his own homepage) and then there was the a group consisting of

    Dom_90
    WickerBasket
    WhiplashFX
    Lilmario


    I said maybe as they all joined just yesterday. They are either really bad marketers or just really terrible at posting / Fanboys.

    there has to be a way to weed this kind of stuff out quickly?

    Artoria on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    dragonsama wrote:
    Viral marketers have maybe hit G&T and frankly it's annoying. They have been sighted so far in the PS3 thread, and the Viral marketing gone wrong thread.

    There is worst.name.ever who makes fake fan sites for a living (according to his own homepage) and then there was the a group consisting of

    Dom_90
    WickerBasket
    WhiplashFX
    Lilmario


    I said maybe as they all joined just yesterday. They are either really bad marketers or just really terrible at posting / Fanboys.

    there has to be a way to weed this kind of stuff out quickly?

    I think the problem is there's no proof, like you said. It would be bad form to ban people on accusations alone, but if they're so bad that it's obvious they're viral marketers to the majority, the problem will sort itself out.

    Also you forgot "killa". See, he may not be a plant, but his first thread and posts, scream to me that he is. But he's also not doing anything wrong and in fact, people are posting interesting blogs to read.

    Invisible on
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Just like anything else youu read, take it with a grain of salt. It doesn't matter if it comes from a marketing department, a news site, or your best friend. If the advice or recommendation is bad, you catalogue that person in the back of your head as someone whose opinion (regarding whatever it was they burned you on) should be ignored. In the end, they aren't much different than Joe blow who spends $40k on a dud car and still recommends it to people because he doesn't want to admit his collosal mistake.

    stigweard on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Invisible wrote:
    Mighty J wrote:
    I dunno if this has already been mentioned, but the "I just bought a _____, recommend me some games!" threads in G&T.

    You think maybe there could be some kind of "If you just bought a system, please go to IGN/Gamespot/Gametrailers.com or just walk your ass to a game shop to figure out what games you want to get." mention in the rules thread?

    I'm going to have to agree. I despise those threads, they annoy me more than poll threads, because it's essentially "list every game ever released for the system! Oh and if it's bc, list all the old games too!"

    Though, if they had a little more direction, I wouldn't mind them. Like "I'm looking for SRPGs for the DS" wouldn't bother me, provided people didn't just go "1. FFTA, 2. TO:KoL..." without discussion. Because I feel the whole point of those threads is not only to find out about games you may have missed, but also get personal feedback on them. But that's just a pipe dream isn't?

    I don't particularly mind them. They're fairly harmless, they have limited lifespans, and they aren't made frequently enough to clog up the forum. They can even be useful, sometimes. It's an easy way to get an idea of how good a game is without having to wait for a thread which may never actually get made. They don't need an enforced direction, it's not like they become sprawling messes.

    jothki on
  • KreutzKreutz Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    jothki wrote:
    Invisible wrote:
    Mighty J wrote:
    I dunno if this has already been mentioned, but the "I just bought a _____, recommend me some games!" threads in G&T.

    You think maybe there could be some kind of "If you just bought a system, please go to IGN/Gamespot/Gametrailers.com or just walk your ass to a game shop to figure out what games you want to get." mention in the rules thread?

    I'm going to have to agree. I despise those threads, they annoy me more than poll threads, because it's essentially "list every game ever released for the system! Oh and if it's bc, list all the old games too!"

    Though, if they had a little more direction, I wouldn't mind them. Like "I'm looking for SRPGs for the DS" wouldn't bother me, provided people didn't just go "1. FFTA, 2. TO:KoL..." without discussion. Because I feel the whole point of those threads is not only to find out about games you may have missed, but also get personal feedback on them. But that's just a pipe dream isn't?

    I don't particularly mind them. They're fairly harmless, they have limited lifespans, and they aren't made frequently enough to clog up the forum. They can even be useful, sometimes. It's an easy way to get an idea of how good a game is without having to wait for a thread which may never actually get made. They don't need an enforced direction, it's not like they become sprawling messes.
    We have a wiki that makes these threads obsolete, however. Maybe that should be advertised a bit more so that new people go there to find recommendations.

    Kreutz on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    The thing about corporate plants is, so far as I'm concerned, that they don't deserve any measure of decency. They gave that up when they started trying to steal free advertising bandwidth.

    If someone is posting in a manner that makes them appear to be one but there's no proof, well fuck it. Seriously, just call them out on it. If they're not a marketer, they're a tool. Deal with them the way you would any other tool.

    There are standards for decency and on topic behaviour and all that good shit, but when it comes down to it, no one said you have to use kid gloves with each other and if anyone does, well you just send them my way and we'll talk it out. I don't think a single moderator who's been around for any period of time is under the illusion that the forums should or possibly could be nice, friendly and polite towards everyone who cares to use them to express an opinion.

    There are stupid opinions and stupid people. If you think you've found one, point it out, and if you're wrong, you'll only convince everyone that there's at least one idiot in the thread.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    There are stupid opinions and stupid people. If you think you've found one, point it out, and if you're wrong, you'll only convince everyone that there's at least one idiot in the thread.
    And then we loop back into thread assassination. Is it still a rule? Is the enforcement still spotty and ridiculous? The answer is yes. Honestly if a thread is garbage a mod can lock it. Until then why not let the forums have fun with it.

    JAEF on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2006
    JAEF wrote:
    And then we loop back into thread assassination. Is it still a rule? Is the enforcement still spotty and ridiculous? The answer is yes. Honestly if a thread is garbage a mod can lock it. Until then why not let the forums have fun with it.

    Because forumers are notoriously bad at discerning between bad threads and unpopular opinions. A rule in which thread assassination is okay as long as the thread is really stupid and meritless is indistinguishable, in practice, from a rule in which forumers can burn to the ground any thread they don't personally care for.

    ElJeffe on
    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

    I make tweet.
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    JAEF wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    There are stupid opinions and stupid people. If you think you've found one, point it out, and if you're wrong, you'll only convince everyone that there's at least one idiot in the thread.
    And then we loop back into thread assassination. Is it still a rule? Is the enforcement still spotty and ridiculous? The answer is yes. Honestly if a thread is garbage a mod can lock it. Until then why not let the forums have fun with it.

    There is a massive difference between posting "ur dum" and saying "I think you're an idiot because..." and then going on to explain what makes them an idiot. The latter promotes discussion and forwards an argument. The former is worthless and unnecessary and if we should get the impression that we can only expect worthless and unnecessary input from a given user, they're not gonna spend a lot of time here.

    Now with regards to spotty or inconsistent enforcement, I don't know, how about you start coming forward with examples. If you're not comfortable doing it here, PM them to someone around often enough to take them forward and follow up after a few days.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've got a suggestion/request:

    Do you think it might be possible to get a forum dedicated to music? This may have been requested already but I very loosely skimmed the last 40+ pages of this thread. It just seems that we have a couple for art and games and what not and a lot of us here are pretty into music, in some form or another, so it would be cool to have a place where we could talk about our favorite bands, check out bands of other PAers, organize projects together and such. THere have been a couple times now that I've wanted to post something music related but didn't really feel like it fit anywhere. I mean the only place you could really do it is SE++ and all that happens then is the people who don't care about music or whatever topic you're posting on just swarm in and tell you you shouldn't have started the thread.
    It might be retarded but it seems like a good idea to me.

    Captain Cthulhu on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've got a suggestion/request:

    Do you think it might be possible to get a forum dedicated to music? This may have been requested already but I very loosely skimmed the last 40+ pages of this thread. It just seems that we have a couple for art and games and what not and a lot of us here are pretty into music, in some form or another, so it would be cool to have a place where we could talk about our favorite bands, check out bands of other PAers, organize projects together and such. THere have been a couple times now that I've wanted to post something music related but didn't really feel like it fit anywhere. I mean the only place you could really do it is SE++ and all that happens then is the people who don't care about music or whatever topic you're posting on just swarm in and tell you you shouldn't have started the thread.
    It might be retarded but it seems like a good idea to me.
    D&D usually has several music threads going at any one time. Try starting one there.

    Seriously, guys, D&D isn't just there for "serious business." Honest.

    Thanatos on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    I've got a suggestion/request:

    Do you think it might be possible to get a forum dedicated to music? This may have been requested already but I very loosely skimmed the last 40+ pages of this thread. It just seems that we have a couple for art and games and what not and a lot of us here are pretty into music, in some form or another, so it would be cool to have a place where we could talk about our favorite bands, check out bands of other PAers, organize projects together and such. THere have been a couple times now that I've wanted to post something music related but didn't really feel like it fit anywhere. I mean the only place you could really do it is SE++ and all that happens then is the people who don't care about music or whatever topic you're posting on just swarm in and tell you you shouldn't have started the thread.
    It might be retarded but it seems like a good idea to me.
    D&D usually has several music threads going at any one time. Try starting one there.

    Seriously, guys, D&D isn't just there for "serious business." Honest.

    Here's a question I've never really gotten an answer on: What are the rules about hosting an MP3 for people to download? I have an FTP, and occasionally I'd like to put up a song or two for people to listen to. I'm not sure if that'd be a copyright violation or against the terms of service for the PA forums.

    Brolo on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2006
    Unless you own the copyright to it, it's a copyright violation.

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • DynagripDynagrip Going back home to the west coast HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    I was thinking and it was probably mentioned much earlier in this thread that it would be a good idea if we did the Forum-wide year end polls for the last part of '06. We have not had a multiple-branch spanning thread in a long time.

    Dynagrip on
    ok98TNK.png
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    I would like to have Grandma's House brought back for Christmas, or whatever the everyone-goes subforum was called.

    Munkus Beaver on
    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Unless you own the copyright to it, it's a copyright violation.
    It's also okay if it's public domain.

    Thanatos on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I would like to have Grandma's House brought back for Christmas, or whatever the everyone-goes subforum was called.
    That was fun. Right? I'm not just suppressing the real memories of it because it was so horrible, am I?

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    I would like to have Grandma's House brought back for Christmas, or whatever the everyone-goes subforum was called.
    That was fun. Right? I'm not just suppressing the real memories of it because it was so horrible, am I?

    It was what you made of it. I built it because the forums here were going down for technical reasons that were not going to be avoided. As an alternative to no forums for Christmas, I think it was pretty damned good. I think it was even a lot of fun for a lot of people once they got past the omg I have to talk to people I don't know part.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    I was talking to the forum that Ramius put up in 2003, pheezer. I don't know what you're referring to.

    Munkus Beaver on
    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Grandmas house was exactly what I think these forums should be about. It was basically a big chat thread where sometimes its about videogames. It would also be to nice to have less lame ass interforum drama and more getting along with people(even if they arn't your favorite people around).

    Bringin back grandmas house for like a week for christmas would be awsome :^:

    Bedlam on


  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    I was talking to the forum that Ramius put up in 2003, pheezer. I don't know what you're referring to.
    He put up an ezboards Grandma's House a year or two ago during a forums outage.

    Orikaeshigitae on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    I would like to have Grandma's House brought back for Christmas, or whatever the everyone-goes subforum was called.

    Ramius did it first in 2003. Then in 2004 the forums HAD to go down, and I stepped in to fill the gap with an ezBoards solution we called Grandma's House because I'm clever as all fuck (note also that my initial suggestion for D&D's name has stuck, fuckers).

    There are two ways of doing this, either taking down the forums and putting a page in that has a link to the alternate forums, or, having an admin create a sandbox forum and implementing an alternate forums main page that only lists it. Either option requires an admin's assistance, but I think it's within Whippy's technical capability to do at least the latter.

    As for the original Grandma's House, it's likely long gone, but it only takes an hour or two from scratch to get a forum going at ezBoards with the right colours and theme.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    I've got a suggestion/request:

    *ramble ramble*

    D&D usually has several music threads going at any one time. Try starting one there.

    Seriously, guys, D&D isn't just there for "serious business." Honest.

    I guess I can check that out, but I mean, I'd be really interested in finding out what kind of musicians we have here on the boards and maybe trying to get some projects together. Granted I'm not well-versed on the ways of D&D so it might be okay to start a thread like that there, but it seems like it would be looked down upon.

    Captain Cthulhu on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    I've got a suggestion/request:

    *ramble ramble*
    D&D usually has several music threads going at any one time. Try starting one there.

    Seriously, guys, D&D isn't just there for "serious business." Honest.
    I guess I can check that out, but I mean, I'd be really interested in finding out what kind of musicians we have here on the boards and maybe trying to get some projects together. Granted I'm not well-versed on the ways of D&D so it might be okay to start a thread like that there, but it seems like it would be looked down upon.
    If you're trying to get people involved in/get critique on your own music project, Artist's Corner would be the place. If you're trying to talk about a particular aspect of music in general, D&D would be the place.

    Thanatos on
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ok, here's an idea i just want to throw out.

    Recommend me "X" console games here.

    We need to make a comprehensive list, and sticky it to the top of G&T. Combine all of the systems, making one post.

    I know we have the forum knowledge page, but some of it is way out of date.

    ronzo on
  • verpaverpa Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Avris wrote:
    Ok, here's an idea i just want to throw out.

    Recommend me "X" console games here.

    We need to make a comprehensive list, and sticky it to the top of G&T. Combine all of the systems, making one post.

    I know we have the forum knowledge page, but some of it is way out of date.
    We used to have one of those. And it lasted like a month after that people just started making the same threads saying the stickt was outdated, or didn'r answer theor specific version of the cliche question.

    verpa on
    542987-1.png
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    verpa wrote:
    Avris wrote:
    Ok, here's an idea i just want to throw out.

    Recommend me "X" console games here.

    We need to make a comprehensive list, and sticky it to the top of G&T. Combine all of the systems, making one post.

    I know we have the forum knowledge page, but some of it is way out of date.
    We used to have one of those. And it lasted like a month after that people just started making the same threads saying the stickt was outdated, or didn'r answer theor specific version of the cliche question.

    And that's why in general this isn't a good idea. You might as well list every game ever, because that's the only way everyone will be happy (and by happy I mean shuts the fuck up about it). It's not like there aren't an abundance of game-specific threads; given time one could possibly read those threads and decide if the game being discussed within is the game they want for the system they have recently purchased. I guess what I'm saying is, a recommendation list is nice in theory, but quickly becomes a pain in the ass because it has to constantly be updated and if you exclude/include something a vocal group enjoys/hates, it'll just be a bitchfest.

    Invisible on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    What the hell is this aversion to threads? It isn't like there is a shortage of space for threads. If you don't like the "recommend me games" threads, don't read them. They aren't hurting you. And maybe they help someone pick a few games. There is nothing wrong with those threads, and there is no reason to stop them.

    deadonthestreet on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    I would like to have Grandma's House brought back for Christmas, or whatever the everyone-goes subforum was called.

    Ramius did it first in 2003. Then in 2004 the forums HAD to go down, and I stepped in to fill the gap with an ezBoards solution we called Grandma's House because I'm clever as all fuck (note also that my initial suggestion for D&D's name has stuck, fuckers).

    There are two ways of doing this, either taking down the forums and putting a page in that has a link to the alternate forums, or, having an admin create a sandbox forum and implementing an alternate forums main page that only lists it. Either option requires an admin's assistance, but I think it's within Whippy's technical capability to do at least the latter.

    As for the original Grandma's House, it's likely long gone, but it only takes an hour or two from scratch to get a forum going at ezBoards with the right colours and theme.

    Couldn't you just temporarily lock all of the subforums and create a new one?

    jothki on
  • Mighty JMighty J Registered User
    edited December 2006
    What the hell is this aversion to threads? It isn't like there is a shortage of space for threads. If you don't like the "recommend me games" threads, don't read them. They aren't hurting you. And maybe they help someone pick a few games. There is nothing wrong with those threads, and there is no reason to stop them.

    There's also absolutely no damn reason for them to be made in the first place. How hard is it to go to a website or store and figure out for yourself what games you want to get?

    Mighty J on
    sig.pl?mightyj
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Mighty J wrote:
    What the hell is this aversion to threads? It isn't like there is a shortage of space for threads. If you don't like the "recommend me games" threads, don't read them. They aren't hurting you. And maybe they help someone pick a few games. There is nothing wrong with those threads, and there is no reason to stop them.

    There's also absolutely no damn reason for them to be made in the first place. How hard is it to go to a website or store and figure out for yourself what games you want to get?
    Also, lets just calm down here.

    I made a suggestion, and never said i didnt like them.

    I basically was just suggesting a upgraded form of the ones in forum knowledge

    ronzo on
  • Mighty JMighty J Registered User
    edited December 2006
    Avris wrote:
    Mighty J wrote:
    What the hell is this aversion to threads? It isn't like there is a shortage of space for threads. If you don't like the "recommend me games" threads, don't read them. They aren't hurting you. And maybe they help someone pick a few games. There is nothing wrong with those threads, and there is no reason to stop them.

    There's also absolutely no damn reason for them to be made in the first place. How hard is it to go to a website or store and figure out for yourself what games you want to get?
    Also, lets just calm down here.

    I made a suggestion, and never said i didnt like them.

    I basically was just suggesting a upgraded form of the ones in forum knowledge

    It's a fine idea, but unfortunately doesn't work for reasons previously stated.

    I think the threads that do get made should just be locked with a few links to IGN, Gamespot, etc.

    Mighty J on
    sig.pl?mightyj
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Reviews rarely tell the whole story. Actually discussing what you like and what may be similar can be really helpful. Just because a game gets good reviews doesn't mean it's a good game for you.

    And it really isn't hurting anyone by being there. If you don't like it, don't read it or post in it. But for some people, they're really helpful.

    deadonthestreet on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Mighty J wrote:
    Avris wrote:
    Mighty J wrote:
    What the hell is this aversion to threads? It isn't like there is a shortage of space for threads. If you don't like the "recommend me games" threads, don't read them. They aren't hurting you. And maybe they help someone pick a few games. There is nothing wrong with those threads, and there is no reason to stop them.

    There's also absolutely no damn reason for them to be made in the first place. How hard is it to go to a website or store and figure out for yourself what games you want to get?
    Also, lets just calm down here.

    I made a suggestion, and never said i didnt like them.

    I basically was just suggesting a upgraded form of the ones in forum knowledge

    It's a fine idea, but unfortunately doesn't work for reasons previously stated.

    I think the threads that do get made should just be locked with a few links to IGN, Gamespot, etc.

    We trust each other far more than we trust review sites.

    jothki on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Reviews rarely tell the whole story. Actually discussing what you like and what may be similar can be really helpful. Just because a game gets good reviews doesn't mean it's a good game for you.

    And it really isn't hurting anyone by being there. If you don't like it, don't read it or post in it. But for some people, they're really helpful.

    Except people don't discuss they list. If I wanted to read a bunch of lists, I'd go to Amazon. Beyond that, as I said earlier, they don't give any direction; it's not recommend me a good FPS for my DS, it's "recommend me every game ever created for the DS that was remotely or maybe just in your opinion good." It's not like we don't have these threads in AFK, various wikis on the matter and tons and tons of discussion threads in which we discuss our opinions on said games.

    I just don't see how they're really helpful. Not only do they not take into account the posters personal taste, they don't even say why a game is good or what the game is even about. To me it's the equivalent to posting "I just got a DVD player, recommend me some movies."

    Invisible on
  • Mighty JMighty J Registered User
    edited December 2006
    Reviews rarely tell the whole story. Actually discussing what you like and what may be similar can be really helpful. Just because a game gets good reviews doesn't mean it's a good game for you.

    And it really isn't hurting anyone by being there. If you don't like it, don't read it or post in it. But for some people, they're really helpful.

    You'd have a point if there were any actual discussion in these threads. They're nothing but

    "Hey guys I just bought a PS2. What games should I get?"
    "Shadow Of The Colossus"
    "RE4"
    "(Insert favorite game here)"

    And so on and so on. How is that helpful at all?

    And sure, you shouldn't just trust reviewers, but I'm not saying people should go there to find out which games are good. Just to see what games are out there period. You can even just read the reviews just for the description of the games, that's helpful enough. There've been plenty of times where I was reading a review where the guy's bitching about one part of the game, and I'm thinking "Actually, that sounds pretty cool."

    It doesn't even have to be review sites. Wiki's, amazon.com, anywhere that gives a description of the game.

    Mighty J on
    sig.pl?mightyj
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Invisible wrote:
    Reviews rarely tell the whole story. Actually discussing what you like and what may be similar can be really helpful. Just because a game gets good reviews doesn't mean it's a good game for you.

    And it really isn't hurting anyone by being there. If you don't like it, don't read it or post in it. But for some people, they're really helpful.

    Except people don't discuss they list. If I wanted to read a bunch of lists, I'd go to Amazon. Beyond that, as I said earlier, they don't give any direction; it's not recommend me a good FPS for my DS, it's "recommend me every game ever created for the DS that was remotely or maybe just in your opinion good." It's not like we don't have these threads in AFK, various wikis on the matter and tons and tons of discussion threads in which we discuss our opinions on said games.

    I just don't see how they're really helpful. Not only do they not take into account the posters personal taste, they don't even say why a game is good or what the game is even about. To me it's the equivalent to posting "I just got a DVD player, recommend me some movies."

    I agree, there's a rule against poll threads, and these end up being poll threads. I have no problem with "Recommend good platformers for PS2" or "RPGs for the GBA", but when it's just "Good PS2 games wanted" it really is far too vague for any real conversation to occur.

    Lindsay Lohan on
Sign In or Register to comment.