As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Policies & Procedures Brainstorming Thread

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    TheHanku6 wrote:
    You've probably built up an answer to this in anticipation, but why not have mod shifts? 2-3 months you're a mod. Now, everyone won't change at the end of a "shift", just two or three mods, so we don't get a full wave of people who don't know what to do.
    Well, first of all, it's hard finding people who we feel comfortable making mods. If I decided that I wanted to totally fuck the forums tonight, I could do it, and it would be very damaging. How many people do you want to have that kind of power?

Second, a lot of the time, you guys think we're too hard on you. For the first month or two any of us are a mod, we tend to go really hard on people (I know I did). If you've got people rotating, you're going to have a lot less laid-back of a forum.

Finally, if we've got multiple groups of people forming policy for the forum, there's going to be a lot of shifts in philosophy between different groups, and whole different enforcement regimes for the users to get used to every so often. If what you're looking for is uniform enforcement of the rules, doing shifts isn't the way to get it.

Thanatos on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Meiz wrote:
    Accualt wrote:
    Neofly wrote:
    It would be good if we knew exactly what does Whippy and the mods expect from G&T.

I expect you guys to play nice together and with new posters. Lets face it most people who are visiting the PA forums for the first time are fans of games. The least intimidatingly named forum is G&T so they will probably head there first (WTF is an SE++? Why is there a Den full of Monkeys?). G&T regulars should consider themselves ambassadors and act accordingly.

I have a problem with this mainly as it serves as a great screening policy against stupid.

I'd rather they just leave because they will more then likely have little to bring to a discussion, let alone the entire forum.

I see enough ass kissing in the 9-5 hours of my day.

I know you probably missed this, but I'm going to go ahead and strongly disagree with the concept of G&T as ambassadors. I think it's silly. Sorry accault. Everyone should be clear that he is speaking as accault and not as some kind of official policy.

Putting G&T into that role in any official respect would be completely asinine, but to a certain degree, G&T finds itself in that role unwittingly, I think.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    I didn't say anything about concurance. I contended that comprehension cannot be obtained with closed ears; or in this case eyes.

That was way too many words starting with the letter c.

I think Tube agreed with your point and was expanding upon it.

I think he just wanted to make a post with a lot of 'C's. Anyways, I don't get the purpose behind a mod shuffle. Even if you did it on a yearly rotation you might cut some mods down before they really get a handle on how to do things. I think the way that Tube, Whippy and myself did things in SE was radically different each year, and that wasn't even because we were trying to shake things up. There's a period where the forum adjusts to mods and the mods adjust to the forum, and it seems like a bad idea to just randomly break that up. Whether he admits it or not, I'm sure the way Tube does things is still changing in small ways.

A duck! on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    I didn't say anything about concurance. I contended that comprehension cannot be obtained with closed ears; or in this case eyes.

That was way too many words starting with the letter c.

I can assure you, though you can obviously choose not to believe me, that for all the faults of the mod staff, they are listening to the forumers.

We seem to not be on the same sheet of music. I am agreeing with you, you are agreeing with me. Our wording just makes it seem as if we are not. At any rate, time to get back on topic. This can go to PMs if it needs to continue, but I think it does not.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This is a personal pet peeve, and I'm probably going to get told to shut the hell up, but G&T needs to look real long and hard at their policy of "being a dick," and the consistency of the enforcement of said rule. There was a Halo thread over the weekend that immediately attracted about a dozen people saying that Halo was an overrated piece of shit, and naught came of them; if I did the same thing in, say, the Zelda thread, I'd be jailed at the least in a heartbeat. Nintendo threads seem particularly guilty of being retardedly insular if you don't think the game is hotter than Elisha Cutherbert, Keria Knightley, and Brittney Snow in a lesbian orgy.

Salvation122 on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Meiz wrote:
    Accualt wrote:
    Neofly wrote:
    It would be good if we knew exactly what does Whippy and the mods expect from G&T.

I expect you guys to play nice together and with new posters. Lets face it most people who are visiting the PA forums for the first time are fans of games. The least intimidatingly named forum is G&T so they will probably head there first (WTF is an SE++? Why is there a Den full of Monkeys?). G&T regulars should consider themselves ambassadors and act accordingly.

I have a problem with this mainly as it serves as a great screening policy against stupid.

I'd rather they just leave because they will more then likely have little to bring to a discussion, let alone the entire forum.

I see enough ass kissing in the 9-5 hours of my day.

Yes, but the point is that your elitism is not the meter stick by which we determine if a new user is someone who deserves to post here or not, and the rules are in place to prevent that from ever becoming the case.

No, we just let them post, and post, and post...

I don't consider it a meter stick but more a "stupid bat" anyone can pick up and whack someone with when they say dumb shit. And that's just it. It's not like the "RPG guys" are running the forum with an iron fist. That would be elitism. It's just someone who sees a worthless post and ribs the poster for it in the hopes that it won't happen again.

Hell, I say dumb shit sometimes and I get a barrage of replies, you don't see me crying. It makes me think twice before I hit the new topic/reply button.

The thing is that we're being all nice to people because they're new and I'm sorry to say but the quality of the content in G&T is suffering for it.

Meiz on
  • Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User
    edited December 2006
    I think there should be a rule about poll threads one way or the other. The infrequent locks gets kind of annoying, sometimes threads that look like they might take off into actual discussion get beat down, while others with just lists can go on for days.

Also, I think jailing people for posting in spam threads is a bit harsh. What's the harm? Who cares if it gets bumped up for a minute or two? The person who made the thread is going to be banned anyways, and the little jokes that are made in such a thread are usually pretty damn funny.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    There was a Halo thread over the weekend that immediately attracted about a dozen people saying that Halo was an overrated piece of shit, and naught came of them; if I did the same thing in, say, the Zelda thread, I'd be jailed at the least in a heartbeat.

Have you been jailed for not liking Zelda? Has anyone? Got proof? Or are you just pulling a theory out of your ass?

Echo on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User
    edited December 2006
    This is a personal pet peeve, and I'm probably going to get told to shut the hell up, but G&T needs to look real long and hard at their policy of "being a dick," and the consistency of the enforcement of said rule. There was a Halo thread over the weekend that immediately attracted about a dozen people saying that Halo was an overrated piece of shit, and naught came of them; if I did the same thing in, say, the Zelda thread, I'd be jailed at the least in a heartbeat. Nintendo threads seem particularly guilty of being retardedly insular if you don't think the game is hotter than Elisha Cutherbert, Keria Knightley, and Brittney Snow in a lesbian orgy.
    Naw, I've seen dicks get away with trolling Zelda threads as well, but I'll agree with you in that I don't care for it at all.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
    edited December 2006
    Echo wrote:
    There was a Halo thread over the weekend that immediately attracted about a dozen people saying that Halo was an overrated piece of shit, and naught came of them; if I did the same thing in, say, the Zelda thread, I'd be jailed at the least in a heartbeat.

Have you been jailed for not liking Zelda? Has anyone? Got proof? Or are you just pulling a theory out of your ass?
    I've been jailed for thinking Nintendogs wasn't going to be that great.

Salvation122 on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2006
    There's a line between trolling and just disagreeing with people. If I don't like Halo, I should be able to go into a Halo thread and talk about why I don't like it. That isn't trolling. Going into the halo thread and saying "god, I can't believe how many of you faggots(!) like halo. Didn't you get the message? It sucks!" isn't really on. If I go in and say "man, I never saw the fuss about halo because..." that should be fine. There's definitely a section of G&T that has a problem with people disagreeing with their opinion.

Tube on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Personally, I don't think much needs to be changed. I disagree with the forum assassination rule only because it strips some of the fun from G&T. Some of the most fun I have is tearing into an obviously stupid thread. However, I also understand that my definition of a stupid thread may not be the same as someone else's so where do we draw the line?

Other then that, things seem to be going well.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    HEY SATAN! HERE'S MY WISHLIST! GO NUTS YOU DEVIL!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/1JI9WWSRW1YJI
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2006
    Feral wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Now, let's talk people with "I EAT DICKS" in big clashing letters in their sigs.

I adblock all offsite images when at work for this very reason.
    Text is NSFW too if it's in 72 point font readable at 5 meters on a 14" laptop screen.

Not to keep harping on the NSFW thing, but NSFW is just a convenient label. If I wanted to see giant dicks or big wheels anally reaming stickfigures, I'd stick to #chan, not here. I don't really post much (at all really) outside of G&T and D&D, but I do randomly click and lurk around when I'm bored and I really don't like randomly running across stuff like that.

Aroduc on
    edited December 2006
    Naw, I've seen dicks get away with trolling Zelda threads as well, but I'll agree with you in that I don't care for it at all.

The whole reason we have such threads is for discussion. You think a game is an overrated piece of shit? Don't be afraid to tell people that. There is a slight Nintendo bias here but as long as you don't say something stupid like "I never played zelda, but its a piece of shit." then no one should have a problem. Same thing with Halo. You got a legitimate beef? Bring it up!

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
    edited December 2006

If all you said was "I don't think Nintendogs will be that great" then yeah, someone fucked up big time. But I have to see the post to make any comment whatsoever that's more in-depth than this.

Echo on
    edited December 2006
    Echo wrote:

I'm going to go ahead and call bullshit.

Tube on
    edited December 2006
    Echo wrote:

I'm going to go ahead and call bullshit.

I've been jailed for saying Opera was better than Firefox in a firefox thread, it was the second or third post of so. Probably should have backed up why though, so I'm not complaining.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    As awesome as NSFW material is, it is always best to err on the side of caution. If you aren';t sure about posting something, PM a mod, they will always be glad to let yo know if it is allowable on the forums. I've jailed so many people that could have avoided their sentence if they had just asked first.

Raijin Quickfoot on

edited December 2006
    There's a line between trolling and just disagreeing with people. If I don't like Halo, I should be able to go into a Halo thread and talk about why I don't like it. That isn't trolling. Going into the halo thread and saying "god, I can't believe how many of you faggots(!) like halo. Didn't you get the message? It sucks!" isn't really on. If I go in and say "man, I never saw the fuss about halo because..." that should be fine. There's definitely a section of G&T that has a problem with people disagreeing with their opinion.
    This would be more or less the way I see the issue as well; my first post perhaps put the emphasis on mods a bit more than was warranted. There are an awful lot of people who get very, very pissed if you say you don't like something, regardless of your tone, and I think there would be much better discussion all around if people's reaction to "You know, this doesn't really do anything for me, because..." wasn't immediately "Then get the fuck out, jackass."

Salvation122 on
  • DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User
    edited December 2006
    Echo wrote:

I remember that, and you said a little more that it being "not great".

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
    edited December 2006
    I've been jailed for saying Opera was better than Firefox in a firefox thread, it was the second or third post of so. Probably should have backed up why though, so I'm not complaining.

Yeah, you see, that's something that's easy to make sound like it wasn't your fault. This is the problem with people saying "I got jailed just for --"

Tube on
    edited December 2006
    Going into a thread that is made to praise something and posting "It sucks" is definitely jail worthy in my opinion. It is borderline trolling. You have to provide a reason or it just looks like you are being a dick.

Raijin Quickfoot on

edited December 2006
    Echo wrote:
    If all you said was "I don't think Nintendogs will be that great" then yeah, someone fucked up big time. But I have to see the post to make any comment whatsoever that's more in-depth than this.
    It was about two years ago, it's not like I'm pissed about it. Discussion on the merits of a dog simulator went on for a page or three, and several hours later MA17 slapped me with a five-day jail sentence. It happens, or used to, at any rate. I don't spend much time in G&T anymore.

Salvation122 on
    edited December 2006

If it's a big happy post about the latest release about Firefox, then the three little words "Opera is better" is a pretty dickish thing to say, and definitely in trolling territory. All one has to do is add the words "I think" before those three words to change it to "merely dickish".

Echo on
    edited December 2006

Yeah, you see, that's something that's easy to make sound like it wasn't your fault. This is the problem with people saying "I got jailed just for --"

I looked over the post after making it, and just coming into a thread, saying LOLZ, OPERA IS TEH BETTER! is not the way to go about reasonable discussion. If I had backed up my reasons, I probably wouldn't have been jailed. Also of note, getting jailed the day before E3 starts is a bad idea, but something I won't have to worry about again.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
    edited December 2006
    Just remember, if you don't like the subject of the thread you don't have to post in it.

Raijin Quickfoot on

• DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User
    edited December 2006
    This would be more or less the way I see the issue as well; my first post perhaps put the emphasis on mods a bit more than was warranted. There are an awful lot of people who get very, very pissed if you say you don't like something, regardless of your tone, and I think there would be much better discussion all around if people's reaction to "You know, this doesn't really do anything for me, because..." wasn't immediately "Then get the fuck out, jackass."

This does bring up a good point.

There are posters that swim against the tide in a thread strictly to stir shit up and then hide behind the "opinion" card. conversely, some people get FAR too defensive when someone points out their dislike for something in a generally positive thread.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
    edited December 2006

Yeah, this happens all the time. It's a big issue, but it's one the lies with the maturity of individual forumers.

Tube on
  • NeoflyNeofly Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

I looked over the post after making it, and just coming into a thread, saying LOLZ, OPERA IS TEH BETTER! is not the way to go about reasonable discussion. If I had backed up my reasons, I probably wouldn't have been jailed. Also of note, getting jailed the day before E3 starts is a bad idea, but something I won't have to worry about again.

Well, it is not always trolling and jail worthy.

Remember your "Final Fantasy Tactics..." (advance) thread? That one got pretty much derailed and hijacked in a pacific way by the FFT fans.

Neofly on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Now, let's talk people with "I EAT DICKS" in big clashing letters in their sigs.

I adblock all offsite images when at work for this very reason.
    Text is NSFW too if it's in 72 point font readable at 5 meters on a 14" laptop screen.

Not to keep harping on the NSFW thing, but NSFW is just a convenient label. If I wanted to see giant dicks or big wheels anally reaming stickfigures, I'd stick to #chan, not here. I don't really post much (at all really) outside of G&T and D&D, but I do randomly click and lurk around when I'm bored and I really don't like randomly running across stuff like that.

I sortof have to agree here. There is a few instances I can name offhand of some edited porn and/or closeups of "sensitive" body parts floating around.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited December 2006
    Neofly wrote:
    Remember your "Final Fantasy Tactics..." (advance) thread? That one got pretty much derailed and hijacked in a pacific way by the FFT fans.

Uh, maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I thought the OP to that one was, "Man, FFTA was so much better than FFT!" I didn't think it getting turned into the FFT thread was out of sorts at all.

A duck! on
    edited December 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Neofly wrote:

Uh, maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I thought the OP to that one was, "Man, FFTA was so much better than FFT!" I didn't think it getting turned into the FFT thread was out of sorts at all.

Nope, that was the OP to a T.

I fully expected that to happen, but I was glad that a few forumers actually agreed with me and my assesment of the series.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Neofly wrote:

I fully expected that to happen, but I was glad that a few forumers actually agreed with me and my assesment of the series.

So you would have liked the moderators to silence the majority of users whose opinions were contrary to yours?

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
    edited December 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    Neofly wrote:

So you would have liked the moderators to silence the majority of users whose opinions were contrary to yours?

Not at all, I wanted open discussion about both games and their faults, and I got it...for about three pages. Then people just started talking about FFT, which was fine by me.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Another thing that I'd consider amending is the jail system. Most of the people who are jailled are done so accordingly. I wouldn't mind having a break from them for 3-5 days.

Meiz on
    edited December 2006
    Meiz wrote:
    Another thing that I'd consider amending is the jail system. Most of the people who are jailled are done so accordingly. I wouldn't mind having a break from them for 3-5 days.

Are you saying that a jailing should function as a temp ban?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • TheHanku6TheHanku6 Registered User
    edited December 2006
    When a thread was jailed, lot's of spoiler tags were unbbcoded. Maybe only disabling the sig and avatar, and adding the post timer would work?

TheHanku6 on
  • The Far SideThe Far Side __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Meiz wrote:
    Uh, so uh

a ban?

edit; oh fuck you bri <3

The Far Side on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Meiz wrote:

I've noticed that once in a while, somebody will get jailed and the mod won't say why in the thread (or maybe they will after 20 or 30 minutes have gone by).

It helps to see what the mods consider thread derailment, trolling, etc. since the definitions to these things aren't always obvious and can differ from person to person.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited December 2006
    Meiz wrote:

Are you saying that a jailing should function as a temp ban?

Or that instead of jailing just ban them. I think there's only a small percentage of people who are really bothered by a jailing. For most it's just effective enough to make them have to redo their avatar/sig selections, because the rest of it doesn't affect them that much.

A duck! on