As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Policies & Procedures Brainstorming Thread

• PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Herby wrote:
    Invisible wrote:
    Reviews rarely tell the whole story. Actually discussing what you like and what may be similar can be really helpful. Just because a game gets good reviews doesn't mean it's a good game for you.

And it really isn't hurting anyone by being there. If you don't like it, don't read it or post in it. But for some people, they're really helpful.

Except people don't discuss they list. If I wanted to read a bunch of lists, I'd go to Amazon. Beyond that, as I said earlier, they don't give any direction; it's not recommend me a good FPS for my DS, it's "recommend me every game ever created for the DS that was remotely or maybe just in your opinion good." It's not like we don't have these threads in AFK, various wikis on the matter and tons and tons of discussion threads in which we discuss our opinions on said games.

I just don't see how they're really helpful. Not only do they not take into account the posters personal taste, they don't even say why a game is good or what the game is even about. To me it's the equivalent to posting "I just got a DVD player, recommend me some movies."

I agree, there's a rule against poll threads, and these end up being poll threads. I have no problem with "Recommend good platformers for PS2" or "RPGs for the GBA", but when it's just "Good PS2 games wanted" it really is far too vague for any real conversation to occur.

So maybe instead of making more rules G&T mods should be more pro-active about locking threads that aren't going to go anywhere and allowing threads that beg interesting discussion

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    So maybe instead of making more rules G&T mods should be more pro-active about locking threads that aren't going to go anywhere and allowing threads that beg interesting discussion

That's how I see it. It's really tough to set a steadfast rule on it because there are times when someone saying "How about some PS2 Game suggestions" can lead to good conversations, and others where it becomes a 5 page list of games. It's really one of those grey areas where no rule just mod discretion seems like the best route. With that said, if there's already a thread with suggestions within the past few pages, I'm all in favor of a lock and link to that thread (but I think the forumers are pretty proactive on "We just did this, see: LINK")

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Herby wrote:
    Invisible wrote:
    Reviews rarely tell the whole story. Actually discussing what you like and what may be similar can be really helpful. Just because a game gets good reviews doesn't mean it's a good game for you.

And it really isn't hurting anyone by being there. If you don't like it, don't read it or post in it. But for some people, they're really helpful.

Except people don't discuss they list. If I wanted to read a bunch of lists, I'd go to Amazon. Beyond that, as I said earlier, they don't give any direction; it's not recommend me a good FPS for my DS, it's "recommend me every game ever created for the DS that was remotely or maybe just in your opinion good." It's not like we don't have these threads in AFK, various wikis on the matter and tons and tons of discussion threads in which we discuss our opinions on said games.

I just don't see how they're really helpful. Not only do they not take into account the posters personal taste, they don't even say why a game is good or what the game is even about. To me it's the equivalent to posting "I just got a DVD player, recommend me some movies."

I agree, there's a rule against poll threads, and these end up being poll threads. I have no problem with "Recommend good platformers for PS2" or "RPGs for the GBA", but when it's just "Good PS2 games wanted" it really is far too vague for any real conversation to occur.

Why bother locking a thread that isn't going anywhere? If its off topic, sure, but usually a boring/bad topic will just run its course and disappear from the front page. Why lock something if people are still discussing it, it makes no sense.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Herby wrote:
    Invisible wrote:

Why bother locking a thread that isn't going anywhere? If its off topic, sure, but usually a boring/bad topic will just run its course and disappear from the front page. Why lock something if people are still discussing it, it makes no sense.

Because it is off topic. Threads that "go nowhere" usually evolve (or devolve) into mini-chat threads.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think the answer is right there in your quote. We're not talking about discussion threads, but poll threads in which the extent of the thread is "Best Games for the DS"and "1. Trauma Center 2. Nintendogs 3. Animal Crossing". No one is talking about locking boring topics or even bad ones, really, just ones that don't produce discussion. It's no different than what is practiced in every other subforum here.

Invisible on
    edited December 2006
    Invisible wrote:
    I think the answer is right there in your quote. We're not talking about discussion threads, but poll threads in which the extent of the thread is "Best Games for the DS"and "1. Trauma Center 2. Nintendogs 3. Animal Crossing". No one is talking about locking boring topics or even bad ones, really, just ones that don't produce discussion. It's no different than what is practiced in every other subforum here.

What's the problem with poll threads though? They come, they go, and sometimes they do spark off into conversation or debate.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, I think the suggestion is simply to support value-add threads and lock threads that devolve into extraneous nonsense, do not foster discussion, or are simply so inane that no real value from the thread is possible. The "what games should I get?" threads are a total crap shoot so I won't say they are completely bad. Like "name some good turn-based strategy games" can be fun because it is somewhat narrow and fosters discussion. "I just got a DS, suggest some games for me" though is so broad that it inevitably boils down to the same random crap.

Drez on
    edited December 2006
    Invisible wrote:

What's the problem with poll threads though? They come, they go, and sometimes they do spark off into conversation or debate.

Because they are basically a carbon copy of every previous poll thread on the same subject. They are entirely pointless, except that new games are potentially mentioned when they come out.

Honestly, there are so many posters here, a "name the best DS games" thread will eventually lead to every DS game ever released getting mentioned. Might as well just direct someone to Gamestop.com to check the "Latest Releases" link for the system.

Drez on
    edited December 2006
    Invisible wrote:

I've bolded the important parts. Poll threads only come and go now, because after being overrun with them, the mod staff started cutting them down. I do not want to see a return to a time when every other thread was a poll thread.

I'm not saying all poll threads are bad, just the ones that do what I described above.

Invisible on
    edited December 2006
    Invisible wrote:
    Invisible wrote:

I've bolded the important parts. Poll threads only come and go now, because after being overrun with them, the mod staff started cutting them down. I do not want to see a return to a time when every other thread was a poll thread.

I'm not saying all poll threads are bad, just the ones that do what I described above.

I think I jive with what you are saying. An offical G&T rule saying something along the lines of Poll threads are fine as long as you back up your choices" would be neat, as saying with you love Animal Crossing DS is better than just posting AC DS lol.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    An offical G&T rule saying something along the lines of Poll threads are fine as long as you back up your choices" would be neat, as saying with you love Animal Crossing DS is better than just posting AC DS lol.

Well, people would get tired of saying the same things about the same games after a dozen times. And then we're back to ye olde poll thread.

Echo on
  • JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Because G&T has a billion threads a day and I'm not sure I want to comb through the front page for poll threads that are about PS2 games, for which I am looking, but which has 8 pages of useless posts?

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Dom_90Dom_90 Registered User new member
    edited December 2006
    dragonsama wrote:
    Viral marketers have maybe hit G&T and frankly it's annoying. They have been sighted so far in the PS3 thread, and the Viral marketing gone wrong thread.

There is worst.name.ever who makes fake fan sites for a living (according to his own homepage) and then there was the a group consisting of

Dom_90
    WickerBasket
    WhiplashFX
    Lilmario

I said maybe as they all joined just yesterday. They are either really bad marketers or just really terrible at posting / Fanboys.

there has to be a way to weed this kind of stuff out quickly?

If I may question your logic, why do you believe me to be 'viral'?

and my friends and I are not working for a market(i don't have a job, im 16!!)

anyway i do enjoy the playstation and have played the wii and was impressed but as i have said before its not my thing.

And please.. if you happen to see any annoying problems arise(from me) in the near future please let me know, as I am sure you understand that forums are not dictatorships and people are allowed to have a voice, correct?

Dom_90 on
    edited December 2006
    Dom_90 wrote:
    dragonsama wrote:
    Viral marketers have maybe hit G&T and frankly it's annoying. They have been sighted so far in the PS3 thread, and the Viral marketing gone wrong thread.

There is worst.name.ever who makes fake fan sites for a living (according to his own homepage) and then there was the a group consisting of

Dom_90
    WickerBasket
    WhiplashFX
    Lilmario

I said maybe as they all joined just yesterday. They are either really bad marketers or just really terrible at posting / Fanboys.

anyway i do enjoy the playstation and have played the wii and was impressed but as i have said before its not my thing.

And please.. if you happen to see any annoying problems arise(from me) in the near future please let me know, as I am sure you understand that forums are not dictatorships and people are allowed to have a voice, correct?

Actually, they are dictatorships.

Drez on
  • Dom_90Dom_90 Registered User new member
    edited December 2006
    well then thats bollocks!

Dom_90 on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Dom_90 wrote:
    dragonsama wrote:

Dom_90
    WickerBasket
    WhiplashFX
    Lilmario

Actually, they are dictatorships.
    also, while i've not read the posts in question, i feel the need to be pedantic (what babies suck on?) and point out that 'viral marketing' does not equal 'shill'. It sounds to me like, if this is all actually true (and i don't know you Dom, so i can't say either way), then it's just folk pretending to be peers, and hyping up a console.
    Not viral marketing.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Dom_90 wrote:
    well then thats bollocks!

Don't like it? The door is that way.

Daedalus on
    edited December 2006
    Heh, there's a spammer in G&T, but the only admin on is Khoo.

I refrained from PMing him.

Drez on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Heh, there's a spammer in G&T, but the only admin on is Khoo.

I refrained from PMing him.
    Next time, go ahead and PM him.

He's nailed at least one spammer in the past. It's not like we're going to ban you for PMing Khoo, or something. :P

Thanatos on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Hahaha! Yeah!

We're definitely not going to do that.

Not at all.

(We really aren't.)

Orikaeshigitae on
  • AgemAgem Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    There's a creative way to stop spambots at registration that the Administrator of another forum I frequent came up with. Hopefully something like this hasn't been suggested before, and I'm sorry if it has - I checked back a few pages, but this is a really long thread.

Rather than having something complicated and potentially putting a strain of the server like those warped text verification things, simply add a checkbox to registration that asks if you're human, and only let people who click that box to submit the registration form.

Or, if the "are you human" question is just begging for smartasses to say no, just make it "are you a spambot" and require new users to choose a "No" option.

It seems that most spambots simply don't know how to get past this (although the other forums I visit are a "simple machines" forum, which may or may not mean spambots could potentially find a way around it on other kinds of forums).

Agem on
  • scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Agem wrote:
    There's a creative way to stop spambots at registration that the Administrator of another forum I frequent came up with. Hopefully something like this hasn't been suggested before, and I'm sorry if it has - I checked back a few pages, but this is a really long thread.

Rather than having something complicated and potentially putting a strain of the server like those warped text verification things, simply add a checkbox to registration that asks if you're human, and only let people who click that box to submit the registration form.

Or, if the "are you human" question is just begging for smartasses to say no, just make it "are you a spambot" and require new users to choose a "No" option.

It seems that most spambots simply don't know how to get past this (although the other forums I visit are a "simple machines" forum, which may or may not mean spambots could potentially find a way around it on other kinds of forums).
    this has been suggested many, many times in this thread. the word from On High is that it will not happen until we get new forums.

scrivenerjones on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2006
    Agem wrote:

this has been suggested many, many times in this thread. the word from On High is that it will not happen until we get new forums.

And relies on the possibly mistaken belief that Alpha exists.

Aroduc on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Can the use of the phrase "Flame on!" and other such things in thread titles to overstate the nature of a controversial opinion be banned, because that shit is dumb.

Mai-Kero on
    edited January 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Can the use of the phrase "Flame on!" and other such things in thread titles to overstate the nature of a controversial opinion be banned, because that shit is dumb.

If we can get rid of things based upon the fact they're dumb, "Late to the Party" and all its variations are to be the first against the wall.

Invisible on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Invisible wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:

If we can get rid of things based upon the fact they're dumb, "Late to the Party" and all its variations are to be the first against the wall.
    "LttP" was against the rules at some point, I believe.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    korodullin wrote:
    Invisible wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:

"LttP" was against the rules at some point, I believe.
    I liked that rule, I dont get why it was never enforced after the initial proclamation.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I want "Thread Over" to die a horrible death.

Lemming on
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lemming wrote:
    I want "Thread Over" to die a horrible death.
    God, it's so tempting. But I'll stick with just saying I really, really agree with you.

redhead on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Similar complaint:

[______ On]

It's getting old. Game on, sure. But beyond that, why?

deadonthestreet on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Similar complaint:

[______ On]

It's getting old. Game on, sure. But beyond that, why?

Perhaps, but that one seems to have obtained at least a semi-official status. It is just the way things work in G&T at least.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It is one thing to tell people "it is dumb to do ____", but making Dumb Thing X officially against the rules is totally different, and sucks.

Everybody who reads G&T knows that poll threads are liable to be locked at any time, because poll threads don't inspire discussion and thus have no place on a discussion forum. But what is a poll thread? And are all threads started on the basis of "everyone give your own personal answer to this question" completely devoid of discussion?

I don't think any of the things mentioned on this page are serious problems in G&T.

Captain K on
  • NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pretty much. I'd only say there were problems if such practices were themselves responsible for stemming or otherwise retarding the development of cogent discussion.

Nartwak on
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:
    It is one thing to tell people "it is dumb to do ____", but making Dumb Thing X officially against the rules is totally different, and sucks.

Everybody who reads G&T knows that poll threads are liable to be locked at any time, because poll threads don't inspire discussion and thus have no place on a discussion forum. But what is a poll thread? And are all threads started on the basis of "everyone give your own personal answer to this question" completely devoid of discussion?

I don't think any of the things mentioned on this page are serious problems in G&T.

No one was calling for a rule against posting dumb memes (at least I don't think most of us were). Most of the posts were just venting.

Poll threads are usually painfully obvious. The blame falls upon two parties the OP and the posters for creating a poll thread. If the OP posts something along the lines of "What's your favorite video game music?", but the posters come out with something beyond "Opera Theme from FF6", then I'd say it has transcended a poll thread. It's the responsibility of the OP to make a worthwhile topic and the posters to give worthwhile answers. If neither contribute more than a sentence (or a word, in some cases) then I doubt the thread needs to exist.

They're not serious problems now (more like a moderate to low problem now that G&T has less spotty mod coverage), but poll threads have a way of multiplying until they are a serious problem.

Invisible on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Invisible wrote:
    They're not serious problems now (more like a moderate to low problem now that G&T has less spotty mod coverage), but poll threads have a way of multiplying until they are a serious problem.
    The best way to deal with them seems to be locking 10-15 of them at once, so people are reminded to think twice before hitting the New Topic button.

At least, it always seemed to work when Raijin did it--the problem would disappear for weeks or months before seeping back in again.

Captain K on
  • omgboomlolomgboomlol __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:
    Invisible wrote:
    The best way to deal with them seems to be locking 10-15 of them at once, so people are reminded to think twice before hitting the New Topic button.

At least, it always seemed to work when Raijin did it--the problem would disappear for weeks or months before seeping back in again.
    I don't know. I kind of liked the way I handled it.

omgboomlol on
    omgboomlolud1.gif
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I miss you. :(

Orikaeshigitae on
  • omgboomlolomgboomlol __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I miss you. :(
    Aw. :oops:

I missed you, too, man.

omgboomlol on
    omgboomlolud1.gif
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ok, I brought this up awhile back, and we basically agreed it wasn't a issue. I think its getting out of hand. The front page of G&T is starting to be overrun by "Must own X System Games" or "Recommend me games for X (x being a genre, person, or event). I don't blame the people starting them, but they keep popping up. The Forum Knowledge posts are horriblely out of date. As someone pointed out in one of the "Recommend me" threads, the PS2 Forum Knowledge thread doesn't even list Gran Turismo 4. I'm not really sure what a good solution might be, but thats what this thread is for.

ronzo on
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ok, nevermind then, it must just be me

ronzo on