As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HELP!] Problems Installing 16 bit Games (Tie Fighter, X-Wing Alliance)

JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
So, I wanted to play Tie Fighter (The TIE95 Collectors edition with the updated engine/music/campaigns) and X-Wing Alliance. I popped them into my CD drive and clicked install.

And waited and waited.

So I checked the process list and saw wowexec and setup.exe (with a space before them, like this):
process.exe
process.exe
 wowexec
 setup.exe
process.exe

... and ended them both. Then I get the message that haunts my dreams:
The request to end the selected 16 bit task has timed out. The Win 16 Subsystem may be unstable. Press OK to terminate the Win 16 Subsystem or Cancel to leave it running.

I've been searching the net high and low for a few says now to no avail. Apparently other people can get the game to install and play on XP (and I recall doing it on my older computer not more than a year ago). Has anyone had this problem? How did you get around it?

My system:
Windows XP Pro SP3
Intel 8400 Dual Core 3.0ghz
EVGA 8800GT 512mb
4gb System Memory

It's driving me nuts. I have installed other games similar to that time period (Deus Ex, Rainbow Six) and had no problem playing. I'm pretty sure it's some sort of InstallShield error, but I don't know how to get around it.

SteamID -- JerikTelorian
XBL: LiquidSnake2061
Shade wrote: »
Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
JerikTelorian on

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have the worlds first and best action RTS hybrid Battlezone by Activision, and I can't even play it.

The original runs, and is a more polished game. But it doesn't have The Thumper. :x

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, first of all Deus Ex and Rainbow Six are definitely newer than X-Wing and Tie fighter. The first two are '98 and 2000, the others are '95 and earlier.

Try running the installer in compatibility mode for windows 98.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    I have the worlds first and best action RTS hybrid Battlezone by Activision, and I can't even play it.

The original runs, and is a more polished game. But it doesn't have The Thumper. :x

I can run Battlezone on Vista now, after I installed this

You may need to tweak some things, but it works

MrDelish on
  • JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Well, first of all Deus Ex and Rainbow Six are definitely newer than X-Wing and Tie fighter. The first two are '98 and 2000, the others are '95 and earlier.

Actually, X-Wing Alliance is a 1999 game, so it would fall in range with those two.

I've tried compatability mode, in every combination, with no success.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Actually, X-Wing Alliance is a 1999 game, so it would fall in range with those two.

Sorry, I read that as the original X-Wing.

Weird, XWA should install fine. You don't have XP 64 bit right?

If you can get XWA installed there is a mod that converts TIE fighter to the XWA engine (http://www.tftc.gaylenol.com/index.html) - it's only the original game though, not the expansion.

Other things to try that I have found via google:

Try booting up in safe mode and installing.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • RabidrabbitRabidrabbit Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wish someone would release the old Tie Fighter with modern graphics. That game was awesome.

Rabidrabbit on
    edited April 2009
    I wish someone would release the old Tie Fighter with modern graphics. That game was awesome.

I would kill for this. A nice new X-Wing/Tie Fighter flight sim would be awesome, even if it was just TF remade with modern graphics. The storytelling in that game is superb, I always get so sucked in when I play it.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian

edited April 2009

Sorry, I read that as the original X-Wing.

Weird, XWA should install fine. You don't have XP 64 bit right?

If you can get XWA installed there is a mod that converts TIE fighter to the XWA engine (http://www.tftc.gaylenol.com/index.html) - it's only the original game though, not the expansion.

Other things to try that I have found via google:

Try booting up in safe mode and installing.

Booting in safe mode worked for XWA. Now I just have to combat the graphics issues with the 8800GT. Thanks much Tsmvengy!!

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian