As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Use of the word "faggot"

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:
    What about extra G's or cyrillic characters?

I'd call that "Being an annoying fuckwit who will be even more severely punished than if you had just used the real word".
    I thought this was to clarify rules a bit and not wave ePeen around. Was I mistaken?

...you are talking about willfully dodging a rule by using funky characters, right?

I think I understand what Dynagrip is saying.

If "n*****" is acceptible, which is almost obvious to anyone (especially within context), as representing the aforementioned taboo word, then isn't that "willfully dodging" the rule, but via an accepted method?

I think Dynagrip is asking if there are other acceptable substitutions.

For The N-Word, you can basically write out anything at all that you wish to make it clear that you're trying to get across the idea of that word, you just can't put the letters E, G, I, N and R into that particular combination. It's a ban on the particular configuration of letters itself, not the sentiment communicated by it. Of course, willfully going around writing "N*****" as an attempt to belittle people in a racist fashion will get you banzored, just as it always have.

For the word "faggot", no actual rule has been put forth yet, as it's still in discussion. Since it would likely be a banning based on the sentiment of the word, and not the mere sight of it, trying to be clever by misspelling it or something would probably not fly. Unless it's an academic discussion of the word, in which case I guess "f*****" would probably be acceptable. But "LOL U R A FAGGGGGGUT!" wouldn't.

That said, I'm not seeing the banning of the word "faggot" as terribly likely at this point, though things may change.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    So wait, is n****h unacceptable too? Man, this rule is going to bite a lot of poor rascists in their cracker asses.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    So wait, is n****h unacceptable too? Man, this rule is going to bite a lot of poor rascists in their cracker asses.

Umm... "niggah" is unacceptable. "n****h" is acceptable. Basically, all variations of that word are not kosher without judicious use of euphemism or asterisks.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:

I'd call that "Being an annoying fuckwit who will be even more severely punished than if you had just used the real word".
    I thought this was to clarify rules a bit and not wave ePeen around. Was I mistaken?

...you are talking about willfully dodging a rule by using funky characters, right?

If "n*****" is acceptible, which is almost obvious to anyone (especially within context), as representing the aforementioned taboo word, then isn't that "willfully dodging" the rule, but via an accepted method?

For The N-Word, you can basically write out anything at all that you wish to make it clear that you're trying to get across the idea of that word, you just can't put the letters E, G, I, N and R into that particular combination. It's a ban on the particular configuration of letters itself, not the sentiment communicated by it. Of course, willfully going around writing "N*****" as an attempt to belittle people in a racist fashion will get you banzored, just as it always have.

For the word "faggot", no actual rule has been put forth yet, as it's still in discussion. Since it would likely be a banning based on the sentiment of the word, and not the mere sight of it, trying to be clever by misspelling it or something would probably not fly.

That said, I'm not seeing the banning of the word "faggot" as terribly likely at this point, though things may change.

So (not that I plan on ever saying this) "negroid" is acceptable? It's really just that particular configuration of letters as you said?

What if someone spelled it out backwards?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:

For instance, I may die in the next week, in which case the new rules will of course be immediately drawn up over my dead body.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:

For the word "faggot", no actual rule has been put forth yet, as it's still in discussion. Since it would likely be a banning based on the sentiment of the word, and not the mere sight of it, trying to be clever by misspelling it or something would probably not fly.

So (not that I plan on ever saying this) "negroid" is acceptable? It's really just that particular configuration of letters as you said?

SEE WHAT YOU DID, KHOO? DO YOU SEE THIS?

Negroid is okay. Reggin is fine too, I guess.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    If I remember right, use of the word "faggot" was discouraged in SE++ for a while. This led to a big ol' stupid-fest of page after page of "f**************************************************ts", sometimes with more asterisks.

As far as the other word goes, we oughta just use the Fark method and switch to 'attractive and successful African-American.' :V

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    If I remember right, use of the word "faggot" was discouraged in SE++ for a while. This led to a big ol' stupid-fest of page after page of "f**************************************************ts", sometimes with more asterisks.

As far as the other word goes, we oughta just use the Fark method and switch to 'attractive and successful African-American.' :V

I just thought that was Bloodshots being funny.

EDIT: I remember when someone made an 'OMG PENNY ARCADES R RACIST' the word 'faggot' was changed to 'fine, dapper gentleman'

Not by wordfilter or rule, simply because everyone thought it was fucking hilarious.

It was, too.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:

For instance, I may die in the next week, in which case the new rules will of course be immediately drawn up over my dead body.

If only as an excuse to carve "BIG FUCKING BOOBOO FAGGOT" into your ass.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:

SEE WHAT YOU DID, KHOO? DO YOU SEE THIS?

Negroid is okay. Reggin is fine too, I guess.

What if someone calls someone else an "anagrammed gnigre"?

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:

This is the point at which you shut up and stop annoying me.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:
    You'd likely be banned, because you've pretty much never been allowed to call other forumers that word.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Haha, I've come around. It's the most awesome new rule ever.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:

You're hurting my brain.

Echo on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Drez wrote:

But what about 'wigger' Jeff is that acceptable or should we come up alternate versions like "warky" and "worch monkey"?

Knob on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    bone daddy wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    You'd likely be banned, because you've pretty much never been allowed to call other forumers that word.
    "gnigre" is also a jumbled up version of the word "ginger" :P

Anyway, I'll stop being annoying, I was just trying to figure out the boundaries. Directing that sentiment at someone is bad, regardless of how it is spelled, yeah.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Knob wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Drez wrote:

But what about 'wigger' Jeff is that acceptable or should we come up alternate versions like "warky" and "worch monkey"?

I was disappointed that Khoo never got back to me on that.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    SheriffSheriff Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:

Umm... "niggah" is unacceptable. "n****h" is acceptable. Basically, all variations of that word are not kosher without judicious use of euphemism or asterisks.

I don't like the spelled-out asterisks/dashes method for referential use. This isn't a newspaper, and I hope I never see an AP stylebook ever again. I would much rather use

HDbs1.jpg

Sheriff on
    2007_mustanggtcs1lg.jpg
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    As a mildly melanin-challenged American, also known as a white American, I would appreciate it if we could perhaps restrict all use of the words cracker, whitey, and honkey. Possible exceptions could be made for honkey in clearly satirical contexts because it is fun to say. I, and all others descended from the fair isle Caucasia, thank you in advance.

Anyway, at the beginning of this topic I had a totally fun video to share with you guys. Now I don't know if I [url=Than Edit: No way, man.]can[/url] because it contains words currently on the no-no* list. Still, it's pretty funny if you aren't overly offended by shocking language being used for the sake of shock.

* I totally almost said "blacklist" but then realized that the play on words would be far too overwhelming. I almost giggled when my mind frantically tried to replace it and came up with "blackballed". No-no list shall suffice.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    As a mildly melanin-challenged American, also known as a white American, I would appreciate it if we could perhaps restrict all use of the words cracker, whitey, and honkey. Possible exceptions could be made for honkey in clearly satirical contexts because it is fun to say. I, and all others descended from the fair isle Caucasia, thank you in advance.

Anyway, at the beginning of this topic I had a totally fun video to share with you guys. Now I don't know if I can because it contains words currently on the no-no* list. Still, it's pretty funny if you aren't overly offended by shocking language being used for the sake of shock.

* I totally almost said "blacklist" but then realized that the play on words would be far too overwhelming. I almost giggled when my mind frantically tried to replace it and came up with "blackballed". No-no list shall suffice.
    Yeah, that would be using the word you're not allowed to use.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    For The N-Word, you can basically write out anything at all that you wish to make it clear that you're trying to get across the idea of that word, you just can't put the letters E, G, I, N and R into that particular combination. It's a ban on the particular configuration of letters itself, not the sentiment communicated by it.

This is what doesn't make sense

If you're still communicating the feeling, then it doesn't matter if the word is there or not. Everybody knows what your "n*****" means, so what's the point in censoring it?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    For The N-Word, you can basically write out anything at all that you wish to make it clear that you're trying to get across the idea of that word, you just can't put the letters E, G, I, N and R into that particular combination. It's a ban on the particular configuration of letters itself, not the sentiment communicated by it.

If you're still communicating the feeling, then it doesn't matter if the word is there or not. Everybody knows what your "n*****" means, so what's the point in censoring it?
    We don't know.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:

We don't know.

Well at least we know Khoo isn't biased. Asian slurs are still allowed.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, it seems like banning the unimportant part (the word) and allowing the truly offensive part (the meaning and sentiment behind the word) seems kind of silly.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Javen wrote:
    Yeah, it seems like banning the unimportant part (the word) and allowing the truly offensive part (the meaning and sentiment behind the word) seems kind of silly.
    The meaning and sentiment has always been banned, when used as an epithet.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Right, but the sentiment can still be expressed in reference I assume, such as:

"OMG, Britney Spears just called Lindsey Lohan a n**!"

That, I gather, is okay. It's just using the actual word that isn't.

Someone else said that it'd show up in google searches and that's probably why Khoo doesn't want the word used - it's a bad association. I second that guess, I have a feeling that's why.

Drez on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Einhander wrote:
    faggot (and n***** and wetback and spic and chink and cracker) are ugly words if we view them by their original intent
    Fallout wrote:
    Drallo wrote:
    See, I actually think this comment is more racist than calling someone "N*****".

Not that I think you did that intentionally Fallout.

If you're saying that the comment appears the black person in question would get violent because "black people are violent", well, no, that wasn't my intent. I do think you'd have a pretty amusing conversation on who dictates what with someone who likely has a very different perspective on things.
    Well, the issue would seem to be that you've identified blacks as a group with a reaction or set of reactions distinct from another group, possibly whites, not accounted for by the individual but only by race.

Oh, I know. I was half joking and half pointing out that a person that is the subject of a racial epithet (like a black person and the word "n**********") would probably have a different opinion on it than a person that does not (like whitey), and would probably disagree that they do not have a right to be offended by its use. The word is just a word, but it also has a history attached to it.

(but for the record, i don't know any black people that wouldn't kick his cracker ass for that)
    Fallout wrote:
    Fallout wrote:
    If some random American of African decent "Drops the 'N' bomb" on his friend jokingly in conversation, they have NO RIGHT to be offended if I as an American of Dutch ancestory do the same.

They have signed away that 'right' by doing the very thing they may find offense with.

I would love to hear you tell this to a black person.
    I have.

Not verbatim, I assume. What did s/he say?
    My friend Brendan doesn't say n***** when he sings along to rap songs, but his friend Sean feels adequately allowed to do so as Sean is black. Sean has commented on how the experience is alienating since it's just repetition of a written lyric. I called the whole thing ridiculous and said, "n*****n*****n*****n*****n*****n*****n*****, see, it doesn't matter."

Sean said that he felt uncomfortable with that. I said that assuming a person shouldn't have access to the word because their being white has a history associated with racism saddles the individual with the burden of whiteness, which is just more racism. He said he logically agrees, and that his unease is a gut reaction. We settled on getting drunk and finishing the conversation another time.

I love a happy ending.

One of my best friends is black, I'm going to have to have a conversation with him and see how he feels about this.

Speaking of which, he has clarified that there is in fact a difference between people saying "n***a" and "n****r". Can we use the former? What if the poster using it is black?

edit: added asterisks to the quoted posts. a lot of them.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fallout wrote:
    Einhander wrote:
    faggot (and n***** and wetback and spic and chink and cracker) are ugly words if we view them by their original intent
    Fallout wrote:
    Drallo wrote:
    See, I actually think this comment is more racist than calling someone "N*****".

Not that I think you did that intentionally Fallout.

If you're saying that the comment appears the black person in question would get violent because "black people are violent", well, no, that wasn't my intent. I do think you'd have a pretty amusing conversation on who dictates what with someone who likely has a very different perspective on things.
    Well, the issue would seem to be that you've identified blacks as a group with a reaction or set of reactions distinct from another group, possibly whites, not accounted for by the individual but only by race.

Oh, I know. I was half joking and half pointing out that a person that is the subject of a racial epithet (like a black person and the word "n**********") would probably have a different opinion on it than a person that does not (like whitey), and would probably disagree that they do not have a right to be offended by its use. The word is just a word, but it also has a history attached to it.

(but for the record, i don't know any black people that wouldn't kick his cracker ass for that)
    Fallout wrote:
    Fallout wrote:
    If some random American of African decent "Drops the 'N' bomb" on his friend jokingly in conversation, they have NO RIGHT to be offended if I as an American of Dutch ancestory do the same.

They have signed away that 'right' by doing the very thing they may find offense with.

I would love to hear you tell this to a black person.
    I have.

Not verbatim, I assume. What did s/he say?
    My friend Brendan doesn't say n***** when he sings along to rap songs, but his friend Sean feels adequately allowed to do so as Sean is black. Sean has commented on how the experience is alienating since it's just repetition of a written lyric. I called the whole thing ridiculous and said, "n*****n*****n*****n*****n*****n*****n*****, see, it doesn't matter."

Sean said that he felt uncomfortable with that. I said that assuming a person shouldn't have access to the word because their being white has a history associated with racism saddles the individual with the burden of whiteness, which is just more racism. He said he logically agrees, and that his unease is a gut reaction. We settled on getting drunk and finishing the conversation another time.

I love a happy ending.

One of my best friends is black, I'm going to have to have a conversation with him and see how he feels about this.

Speaking of which, he has clarified that there is in fact a difference between people saying "n***a" and "n****r". Can we use the former? What if the poster using it is black?

edit: added asterisks to the quoted posts. a lot of them.
    He has specified that neither spelling is acceptable.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    The latter is banned, no exceptions. That would kind of imply that no, black forumers don't get to use it either.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Javen wrote:

Whether or not this is actually a good thing, it forces the person using the word to put more thought into what they are typing, since they have to actively think about the censorship.

jothki on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Guys I am stepping in to tell you that N***** is a banned word.

The word itself isn't usable in any form of discussion. You may use the edited form, but not the word itself.

This policy is not debatable, Khoo himself laid down the law about it. If you have any questions, send him a PM.

that is pretty dumb

It can be usable when discussing the term

And what if I'm writing a story for Writer's Block and there's a racist in the story and he says it?

The racist will be banned from your story.

Seriously, guys, there are no exceptions here. Period. If you want to use racial slurs, you have a long list to choose from. Pick any one but The N-Word.
    Ugh. Fucking money.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:

Someone else said that it'd show up in google searches and that's probably why Khoo doesn't want the word used - it's a bad association. I second that guess, I have a feeling that's why.

robots.txt prevents Google and other search engines (or at least, ones that don't break the law) from indexing the forum.

Not arguing with the rule, just throwing that fact out there.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    BibbleBibble __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Can we call Nigeriens Nigers

Bibble on
    2jezcsmjpg.gif
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:

robots.txt prevents Google and other search engines (or at least, ones that don't break the law)

The... law?

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    The... law?
    There's a lot of shit that the US made illegal in a minor, finable way that has absolutely no effect on spiders scurrying through the intertubes at the behest of foreigners.
    Bibble wrote:
    They're Nigerians. Why would you call them Nigers, Bibble? Why would you do that?

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    bone daddy wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    The... law?
    There's a lot of shit that the US made illegal in a minor, finable way that has absolutely no effect on spiders scurrying through the intertubes at the behest of foreigners.
    There's... there's a search engine.. law?

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    bone daddy wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    The... law?
    pheezer, did I ever tell you about the time Florida and six other states almost accidentally banned routers and firewalls?

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    bone daddy wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    bone daddy wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    The... law?
    pheezer, did I ever tell you about the time Florida and six other states almost accidentally banned routers and firewalls?
    Okay, srsly. Some of your states need to secede already because they're making you look fucking dumb.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    BibbleBibble __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    bone daddy wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    The... law?
    Bibble wrote:
    They're Nigerians. Why would you call them Nigers, Bibble? Why would you do that?

They're Nigeriens, with an E

to avoid confusion I will now call them nigers

Bibble on
    2jezcsmjpg.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Okay, srsly. Some of your states need to secede already because they're making you look fucking dumb.
    It was really brilliant. Some people went up to the legislatures and were all "People who hide their IPs are bad people. They hack things." And the legislators all kind of nodded and hmmed and thought about that one movie their kids brought home back in the day about rebellious youth who used computers to do all sorts of rebellious stuff and decided to form a Subcommittee on Getting Whippersnappers off the Tubes to keep people from disguising their IPs in any way. Then some business lawyers got ahold of the bills and went "D:" all the way to their lobbyists.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
This discussion has been closed.