We're going to be adding some advertisements to the forums! If you notice any weirdness around this or spot bad/inappropriate ads, please make a thread in the bugs forum.

Use of the word "faggot"

123457

Posts

  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    bone daddy wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    bone daddy wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    The... law?
    There's a lot of shit that the US made illegal in a minor, finable way that has absolutely no effect on spiders scurrying through the intertubes at the behest of foreigners.
    There's... there's a search engine.. law?
    pheezer, did I ever tell you about the time Florida and six other states almost accidentally banned routers and firewalls?
    What? Please explain how that almost happened...

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238
    Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Playing: Persona 5 Royal (PS4), Animal Crossing (SW), FF7remake (PS4)
  • bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Bibble wrote:
    They're Nigeriens, with an E
    Only if Fairytopia is in France, Bibble.

    bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:
    What? Please explain how that almost happened...
    Really, really, really vague and overly-broad anti-hacking legislation. The business lobbies shut it down after their legal analysts discovered that it would make at least half the most popular business security measures illegal.

    Come to think of it, I wonder if they ever got that annoyance clause out of the Violence Against Women and Department of Justice Reauthorization Act.

    bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The robots.txt must be a fairly recent addition. Googling for Cronyx Ravage used to come up with the itt lesbians thread in the third link.

    stigweard on
  • BibbleBibble __BANNED USERS
    edited December 2006
    bone daddy wrote:
    Bibble wrote:
    They're Nigeriens, with an E
    Only if Fairytopia is in France, Bibble.

    no

    a person from Nigeria is Nigerian

    a person from Niger is Nigerien

    which is derived from french

    Bibble on
    2jezcsmjpg.gif
  • anyprophetanyprophet Registered User
    edited December 2006
    Why can't slurs be judged solely on the basis of context? It doesn't make sense to me to just outright ban a single word regardless of context. I honestly can't wrap my brain around this decree.

    anyprophet on
    chatthreadsig.png
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    anyprophet wrote:
    Why can't slurs be judged solely on the basis of context? It doesn't make sense to me to just outright ban a single word regardless of context. I honestly can't wrap my brain around this decree.
    Join the club.

    Thanatos on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    anyprophet wrote:
    Why can't slurs be judged solely on the basis of context? It doesn't make sense to me to just outright ban a single word regardless of context. I honestly can't wrap my brain around this decree.
    Uh, has this not been answered?

    Aneurhythmia on
  • anyprophetanyprophet Registered User
    edited December 2006
    anyprophet wrote:
    Why can't slurs be judged solely on the basis of context? It doesn't make sense to me to just outright ban a single word regardless of context. I honestly can't wrap my brain around this decree.
    Uh, has this not been answered?
    If it has been answered then it did not happen in this thread.

    anyprophet on
    chatthreadsig.png
  • MushiwulfMushiwulf Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It has been answered in the sense that it isn't up to the mods in this case.

    Mushiwulf on
  • anyprophetanyprophet Registered User
    edited December 2006
    Mushiwulf wrote:
    It has been answered in the sense that it isn't up to the mods in this case.

    I fully understand that what Khoo says goes. That is not what I'm having trouble understanding.

    anyprophet on
    chatthreadsig.png
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    anyprophet wrote:
    anyprophet wrote:
    Why can't slurs be judged solely on the basis of context? It doesn't make sense to me to just outright ban a single word regardless of context. I honestly can't wrap my brain around this decree.
    Uh, has this not been answered?
    If it has been answered then it did not happen in this thread.
    We, the mods, have no more power over this policy than we do over the ROMs & emulators policy, or the piracy policy. It has been handed down to us from on high, Those Who Pay For The Forums have demanded it. There is nothing we can do about it.

    Thanatos on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This policy is not debatable, Khoo himself laid down the law about it. If you have any questions, send him a PM.

    Aneurhythmia on
  • anyprophetanyprophet Registered User
    edited December 2006
    This policy is not debatable, Khoo himself laid down the law about it. If you have any questions, send him a PM.

    That's like trying to kill God by throwing a rock into the air.

    anyprophet on
    chatthreadsig.png
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    anyprophet wrote:
    This policy is not debatable, Khoo himself laid down the law about it. If you have any questions, send him a PM.

    That's like trying to kill God by throwing a rock into the air.
    And in both cases, that's probably the best you can do.

    Aneurhythmia on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    bone daddy wrote:
    The latter is banned, no exceptions. That would kind of imply that no, black forumers don't get to use it either.

    That's a bit slick as it is. Anyone can claim they're black with no way of telling. So it's best to just ban it outright and avoid a conflict than anything else.

    The Muffin Man on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    bone daddy wrote:
    The latter is banned, no exceptions. That would kind of imply that no, black forumers don't get to use it either.

    That's a bit slick as it is. Anyone can claim they're black with no way of telling. So it's best to just ban it outright and avoid a conflict than anything else.

    It's best to ban it for everyone, since if the ultimate significance of the word isn't affected by the presence or absence of malicious intent, as the policy seems to claim, then the race of the person using it is completely irrevelent.

    jothki on
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think people need to butch up and throw all the PC-nonsense out the window. For Christ sakes just ignore the post or think the person posting it is a moron and move on. While I don’t think using the word “Faggot” is in particularly good taste It shouldn’t be banned in the context of “damn camping faggots”. If you get so easily offended by a word like that that is not directed at you then you have self esteem issues and need to hammer those out. Because it the word (while stupid) was not used as slur towards you.

    Now if it is directed right at you like “Shut up you fucking faggot” then yes that should be considered a little harsh and should be considered “hate” speech.

    The problem is PC is it hurts a lot more than it helps. In the pre- PC days at least you could tell who was a racist, homophobe or just a damn moron. Now you don’t know who is who anymore and it just makes that person’s stupidity more concentrated and then they have a big outburst all at once and it’s alike an atom bomb of hate. See Michael Richards.

    I also think that people should not go around throwing the N word around at each other like “what’s up my n****” because it just sounds stupid. The same goes for “Camping faggot” if we were to ban that word on the forum (once again I don’t condone it’s use either because I think using the word faggot is very low-class and dumb) then we get into the slippery slope of banning even more words. We would have to ban the term “Sniper bitch” because the word “Bitch” could be offensive to women (the few that we have around here).

    I get offended at the words “Cracka” or “Chink” and I think it is wrong to use them. However I don’t get all pissed off when I hear Chris Rock or Margret Cho use them on stage either because I just think “well they are stupid” and move on. However is someone calls my wife a “chink” (this has happened a few times) then I have every right to get pissed or punch them in the face.

    So in conclusion and IMHO

    “Damn camping Faggots” , “Sniper bitch” “I made that game my bitch” = stupid but not hate speech and not offensive. If it is to you then you need to rethink what you get offended over.

    “You’re a fucking faggot”, “I hate fags”, “Shut up you stupid bitch” = offensive and ban worthy.

    Artoria on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    “Shut up you fucking faggot”
    That's how it is often used in SE++.

    deadonthestreet on
  • tzenestzenes Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    dragonsama wrote:
    I think people need to butch up and throw all the PC-nonsense out the window. For Christ sakes just ignore the post or think the person posting it is a moron and move on. While I don’t think using the word “Faggot” is in particularly good taste It shouldn’t be banned in the context of “damn camping faggots”. If you get so easily offended by a word like that that is not directed at you then you have self esteem issues and need to hammer those out. Because it the word (while stupid) was not used as slur towards you.

    Now if it is directed right at you like “Shut up you fucking faggot” then yes that should be considered a little harsh and should be considered “hate” speech.

    ...

    “Damn camping Faggots” , “Sniper bitch” “I made that game my bitch” = stupid but not hate speech and not offensive. If it is to you then you need to rethink what you get offended over.

    “You’re a fucking faggot”, “I hate fags”, “Shut up you stupid bitch” = offensive and ban worthy.

    I truncated your post because it was long, and you repeated most of what you said more than once.

    While I have no specific preference for the usage of the word faggot (its your forum, your rules, I'll abide by whatever even if I don't agree with them) I disagree with the above post on a purely intellectual level.

    I do agree "I hate fags" is offensive and should be banned (except when used as an illustraitive point or in satire), however I wouldn't consider "You're a fucking faggot" to be any less offensive than "Damn camping faggots". Both posit faggot as being an undesirable term and it is this derogitory usage of the word faggot which tends to be most offensive to people. It isn't that someone is being called a fag, its the assumption that being a fag (ie. gay) is an undesirable trait. So I feel that if one is ban worthy so is the other.

    Not to contradict my above comments, but I happen to believe neither are ban worthy. In our society, the term faggot has grown with the advent of the sexual revolution and the mainstreaming of homosexuality. As a result, faggot no longer just means homosexual as it used to, but rather a specific brand of homosexuality where men practice what are generally considered feminine traits. Evidence of this is that the term is nolonger applied to homosexual women (where the term dyke now does apply) and that fact that it is often applied to obviously heterosexual men who desplay the aforementioned feminine traits.

    As a result, while I think that care still needs to be taken to weed out the obviously inappropriate "I hate faggots" mentality, some level of leaway should be given to the use of the word. Esspecially given the rampent level of cursing that is often displayed in the penny arcade comics (although it does notably lack a the specific word "faggot").

    tzenes on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I don't think this has been raised (Although I could be wrong, I skimmed a fair bit of this thread), but faggot is not a term originating as an insult (Contrary to what has been claimed)

    A faggot is a bundle of wood, usually kindling. It was made into a slang for cigarettes. I know several Brits that still call cigarettes 'faggots'.

    It has to be judged by context or you start censoring things that are totally innocent.

    Nova_C on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2006
    No one calls cigarettes faggots, the slang is fags.

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    No one calls cigarettes faggots, the slang is fags.

    Six of one?

    Nova_C on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2006
    Nova_C wrote:
    No one calls cigarettes faggots, the slang is fags.

    Six of one?

    Not really.

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • RitchmeisterRitchmeister Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Nova_C wrote:
    No one calls cigarettes faggots, the slang is fags.

    Six of one?

    If you asked for some "faggots" in a shop in Scotland you would get laughed at. Ask for "fags" and they would instantly know what you mean, so no, not six of one.

    Ritchmeister on
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Registered User
    edited December 2006
    dragonsama wrote:
    The problem is PC is it hurts a lot more than it helps. In the pre- PC days at least you could tell who was a racist, homophobe or just a damn moron. Now you don’t know who is who anymore and it just makes that person’s stupidity more concentrated and then they have a big outburst all at once and it’s alike an atom bomb of hate. See Michael Richards.
    I had taken a break from this thread, but I thought this was something worth commenting on.

    I believe the real problem is the exact opposite of what is outlined above. Part of the problem with the liberal use of the word "faggot" is that it becomes more difficult to differentiate between those who use it casually to describe something "bad," and those who use it as hate speech. Political correctness makes it easier to tell the racists from the idiots, because if someone crosses that line in a PC environment then you know that person has to mean it. When everyone is throwing the word around like it doesn't mean anything, it becomes much harder to determine who is using it with what intentions.

    As a general rule, if I hear or see someone use that word, I'm just going to go ahead and assume that person is a homophobe. As adults we are held responsible for the content of what we say and do, and if you stubbornly refuse to acknowledge that you don't have issues even though you've been asked not to use it, well, fuck you then. At least Michael Richards didn't try to rationalize his use of the N-word after the fact.

    And seriously people, please stop using false analogies to make "faggot" seem less harsh by comparison. Faggot /= bitch, or any other low-impact curse or insult that you can hear in a syndicated re-run of "Everybody Loves Raymond." If it was, something tells me it would have its own thread by now.

    Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS
    edited December 2006
    I don't think it is necessary to ban the word faggot. I haven't exactly noticed gay forumers getting kicked around and abused for being gay. There doesn't seem to be a lot of merit to the idea that casual use of the word somehow masks the malicious use of the word. I just don't see this occuring.

    If it causes some kind of abstract offense to someone that is tough. Protecting everyone from having to read offensive things would be very stifling on a forum largely peopled by 15-25 year olds who have the normal sense of humor for 15-25 year olds.

    Shinto on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    “Shut up you fucking faggot”
    That's how it is often used in SE++.
    Oh, for the days of "shut your faggot face."

    Aneurhythmia on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2006
    If anyone does get a reply from Khoo, it would be best to share it with the rest of class. Probably even put it in the sticky.

    Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    dragonsama wrote:
    I think people need to SACK up and throw all the PC-nonsense out the window.

    Fixed.

    themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

    Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Faggots = food too.
    Fucking Faggots is alliterative and just kinda flows off the tongue (though I don't use it)
    Fag = slang for cigarette.

    If you look hard enough you can take offence no matter what anyone says, my Mam used to call me a "Berk" when I was younger. Turns out it's Cockney Rhyming Slang (shortened version of "Berkeley Hunt"). If my Mam knew that she may not have slung it about so quickly.

    It -is- all about context. Another phrase infamously used when I was a lad (in the UK) was "Dirty little Arab". Your parents would call you that if you came in covered in mud etc. Try and use that one nowadays and you'd get linched!

    I agree with most people in saying that Faggot is now a general insult and has lost much in the way of it's original meaning. Much like the word 'bastard'.

    Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Zimmydoom wrote:
    dragonsama wrote:
    The problem is PC is it hurts a lot more than it helps. In the pre- PC days at least you could tell who was a racist, homophobe or just a damn moron. Now you don’t know who is who anymore and it just makes that person’s stupidity more concentrated and then they have a big outburst all at once and it’s alike an atom bomb of hate. See Michael Richards.

    As a general rule, if I hear or see someone use that word, I'm just going to go ahead and assume that person is a homophobe.

    lol this made me laugh, primarily because there's a lot of CS players I know that use the word in my area and have more gay friends than I can count on a single hand.

    Dunno why, but whenever I play cs, the word fayget comes out more often as an epithet. Out of that context, it's rarely said.

    If there's people around me that are offended by it, I try not to say it, but sometimes in the height of ownage it slips.

    But yeah, out of my friends i'm just about the only guy that can get cock slapped and not care. Use of the word =/ homophobic and you're silly for suggesting that.

    SkyGheNe on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2006
    I thought weird English rhyming slang was something Pratchett just made up.

    Aroduc on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    I thought weird English rhyming slang was something Pratchett just made up.

    What, Cockney? Nah. You should wiki it.

    Fencingsax on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    SkyGheNe wrote:
    ownage

    This offends me more than the word "faggot".

    Garlic Bread on
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:
    SkyGheNe wrote:
    ownage

    This offends me more than the word "faggot".

    It's that or pwnage my friend.

    And pwnage bugs the everlasting shit out of me.

    *edit*

    How about owned?

    SkyGheNe on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    How about "when I am doing well in a game"?

    Garlic Bread on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:
    How about "when I am doing well in a game"?
    pwnzoring

    Captain K on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Captain K wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    How about "when I am doing well in a game"?
    pwnzoring
    That word makes me want to get very killographic.

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238
    Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Playing: Persona 5 Royal (PS4), Animal Crossing (SW), FF7remake (PS4)
  • Mighty JMighty J Registered User
    edited December 2006
    There's a guy at my work that says "owned" or "pwned" like, every 5 seconds.

    Sorry, just had to get that out.

    Mighty J on
    sig.pl?mightyj
This discussion has been closed.