As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

make me clean!

AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
For years I've used nothing but bar soap and generic dandruff shampoo, and I think I could do a better job with my morning shower. My criteria:

-Soap/Body Wash: something moisturizing. I have rather dry skin. I still get the odd bit of acne at 23, so anything that finally puts a stop to that is a plus. Bonus points for solid recommendations for a separate facial soap that I can use in the evening. A clean, subtle, and above all manly scent would be nice.

-Shampoo: I have terrible hair. Flat, wiry, resistant to brushing, and I get dandruff. Tried several conditioners to no remarkable effect.

[I am unconvinced by ads for Axe products, they smell terrible and I don't need random women throwing themselves at me (this seems terribly inconvenient)]

I am open to trying a few things to find something I like, though this should ideally be as gentle on my wallet as the scrubbing of... okay I can't really make that simile work without getting weird.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
AresProphet on

• Dulcius_ex_asperisDulcius_ex_asperis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Try:

Suave Men's Body Wash (it smells awesome on my bf) or a good moisturizing alternative is Lush's Honey I Washed The Kids soap, which is supposed to be awesome.

Have you considered using lotion for the dry skin thing? I know it's an extra step, but seriously, just putting on some Burt's Bees lotion can do awesome things for your skin. A soap alone is going to strip away some of your skin's natural oils, no matter what you do, unfortunately.

As far as shampoo, I'd keep using a dandruff shampoo to control that ish (I am completely unaware of anything related to dandruff). An excellent conditioner would be anything by Dove. It smells pretty...vague? Not really masculine or feminine, just good. And the effects of the conditioner (any of their conditioners, in my experience) are amazing and almost immediate.

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I tend to use Sanex shower gel (can't remember exactly which one, but it's the blue container). I have dry skin, which gets inflamed if i don't treat it right, but the Sanex seems to at least do no harm anyway. Have you tried something like Head and Shoulders for the dandruff? Also, do you dry your hair thoroughly after washing it, or air-dry? I've found that leaving my hair damp after showering tends to make my scalp dry out weirdly, and it gets flaky.

To keep my skin from not being too dry, after showering i follow up with Vaseline's Intensive Rescue lotion- not strongly scented, and keeps the skin moisturised for long periods.

Face-wise, i never use any soap, just warm water. I used to get a lot of spots, until i realised it wasn't because of not washing my face, but rather not keeping my hands as clean as i should have. Sounds weird, right, but thinking about it, it makes a lot of sense- going on the bus/ train whatever, holding onto the handrails that EVERONE has touched, handling money when in shops etc., and then subconsciously touching my face, rubbing my forehead, whatever- it adds up to a lot of exposure to crap, that gets avoided by washing my hands when i get home/ to work. (YMMV)

DusT_HounD on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You need to use lotion for the dry skin. Some body wash will leave your skin less dry than soap, but anything that claims to make you clean has to dry out your skin, by definition. There aren't little nanoparticles deciding which oils to remove and which to leave.

I use Nivea for Men body lotion. The unscented version of Neutrogena is good to. Both won't leave you feeling greas (if you use an appropriate amount) and neither leave you smelling like lavender or some shit like that.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This might be too girly, but I have really dry skin too -- dry enough that in the winter it used to spontaneously crack open and start bleeding all over.

At this point I use Oil of Olay body wash and soap, the green one smells pretty neutral. Body wash on a puff thing for the body, the bar soap for the more delicate bits like the face. Pantene shampoo and conditioner (separate) has always treated me well for hair.

If you really want to deal with dry skin you have to lotion like people said above. I like using Curel or Aveeno (the least oily brands I've found) immediately after the shower on -everything-, it might seem like a pain at first but if you do it regularly right after you've patted yourself down from the shower your skin really gets a lot less dry over time. If you have problems with your hands and feet cracking and being rough Neutrogena, Curel, and I think Aveeno all have "Intensive Care Foot Cream" you can use on your feet right before you put socks on. It's greasy feeling so the socks help you to not drive yourself nuts with having it on your feet, and it locks it in so it really works into your skin. You can do the same thing with undertaker gloves and your hands if you need to -- the least offensive smelling hand cream for doing it that I've found is Burt's Bees Almond hand cream. You put it on right before you go to bed, really slather it all over your hands until touching anything would coat it in the goop, then put the gloves on. It really smells strong when you put it on but by morning the smell pretty much disappears and you don't get as much residue that you have to wash off. First thing when you get up, you just remove the gloves and wash your hands, just save the gloves from night to night and as the insides become saturated with lotion you'll stop having to slather quite so much on your hands.

Sorry, that was a little long on the lotion explanation, I just really wanted to reiterate that it does work if you can make yourself do it every day. Now the only times I crack and bleed are in the winter when I forget to put that extra intensive care stuff on.

Hypatia on
  • Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    For the dandruff, the much advertised 'Head and Shoulders' did exactly what it said on the tin for me.

I just buy cheap shit for soap and deodorant though...

Teslan26 on
  • TopweaselTopweasel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This reminds me of a question from Family Guy. My skin gets quite dry and it occurred to me I take hot or really really hot showers. How many of the people here with Dry Skin might be doing the same thing?

Topweasel on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    it's true, my back and shoulders constantly dry out from my harsh showers.
    i have some johnson and johnson moustrizing lotion, through it on and BAM good as new.
    i also hate dry skin on my hands, and the lotions does wonders for that too.

Local H Jay on
  • bigpandabigpanda Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Question for you guys.

How many of you use soap on your face? Also, do you use anything to exfoliate the areas you don't shave?

I currently use Dr. Bronner's liquid soap (Almond scented) and like it but it does dry out certain areas of skin on me.

As for the acne, I'm wondering if your diet might be affecting that. My skin gets a lot more healthy looking when I'm eating a well balanced healthy diet.

I also shave my head every other day which helps exfoliate my scalp. For that I just use Barbasol shave cream.

bigpanda on
    edited April 2009
    I use a face wash, which won't dry you out as much as soap, and then use a moisturizer with SPF 15. Every couple days I'll use an exfoliating scrub.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Teslan26 wrote: »
    For the dandruff, the much advertised 'Head and Shoulders' did exactly what it said on the tin for me.

I use it and it works, but its effect on the appearance of my hair leaves something to be desired. Better than flaking everywhere, but any time I've used other shampoos I've liked the end result for a few days until my wool coat starts getting snow on it when it's sunny outside.
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    You need to use lotion for the dry skin. Some body wash will leave your skin less dry than soap, but anything that claims to make you clean has to dry out your skin, by definition. There aren't little nanoparticles deciding which oils to remove and which to leave.

I use Nivea for Men body lotion. The unscented version of Neutrogena is good to. Both won't leave you feeling greas (if you use an appropriate amount) and neither leave you smelling like lavender or some shit like that.

I'll try these, but I am very averse to lotions. Anything that leaves a residue of sorts just weirds me out. I understand I may have to change this habit, but if getting slightly cleaner/clearer skin involves feeling like I've slathered sunscreen all over myself all day every day I'll live with the monthly pimple.

But I'll give this one a shot.
    bigpanda wrote: »
    As for the acne, I'm wondering if your diet might be affecting that. My skin gets a lot more healthy looking when I'm eating a well balanced healthy diet.

I've noticed this correlation but it never goes away entirely. Plus, I'm a broke college student with a job and eating healthy is more difficult than I'd like sometimes. Which is a pity because I love cooking and enjoy healthy foods.

I thought I'd try shower-related therapies first as it seems like plain old bar soap is probably Doing It Wrong (tm) when it comes to acne treatment.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    As far as your hair goes, are you brushing your hair with a brush while it's wet? Because that is a surefire way to damage it and make your hair look frizzy as hell. You should use a wide-toothed comb instead, and if you need to brush it when it's dry THEN you can use a brush. I found this out the hard way, but my hair looks much better after changing that seemingly harmless habit.

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
    edited April 2009
    I'll try these, but I am very averse to lotions. Anything that leaves a residue of sorts just weirds me out. I understand I may have to change this habit, but if getting slightly cleaner/clearer skin involves feeling like I've slathered sunscreen all over myself all day every day I'll live with the monthly pimple.

But I'll give this one a shot.

Body lotions don't leave a residue—if they do you are wearing way too much. It should just get absorbed. A little goes a long way, I use about a nickel sized dab on each limb and then a little more on my back/chest.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • bigpandabigpanda Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I use a face wash, which won't dry you out as much as soap, and then use a moisturizer with SPF 15. Every couple days I'll use an exfoliating scrub.

Can you recommend some brands?

bigpanda on
    edited April 2009
    bigpanda wrote: »

Can you recommend some brands?

I just use the Nivea for Men stuff, it's relatively cheap and does the job and my wife thinks it smells nice. When times were better I used to use Anthony Logistics, which is about three times more expensive than the basic stuff but is very nice. Aveda sells stuff for men too, I think. I would just find something that you like and isn't too expensive. Everything I've used did the job well, whether I got it at CVS for $5 or Nordstrom for $20.

You do want to get something marketed as "for Men" though. It's not just advertising mumbo-jumbo; men's faces need a tougher cleanser and scrub than women's. And definitely use a facial moisturizer with SPF. You'll thank yourself 30 years from now.

RUNN1NGMAN on