As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Representing Modern War in Video Games.

descdesc Goretexing to deathRegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
3420903295_7a59b19c8a_o.jpg

So, Galenblade posted a thread on "Six Days in Fallujah," a game which got a writeup in the WSJ.

Since the consensus rapidly became that this was going to turn into a D&D thread and not strictly a games-for-games sake thread, I thought I'd post this over here and let people in Galenblade's thread focus on the nuts and bolts of that game specifically, rather than a general debate.

So, there's a few different questions that this game seems to beg, although it's only the most recent game to do so:

- Is it appropriate to make games based on real world conflicts?

- Whether it is or isn't, the passage of time obviously has an impact on opinions. I'd suggest that fewer people find World War II games to be in poor taste when compared with Vietnam, which seems to be on shakier ground. Still more people would take issue with current-day wars, like the conflicts in Iraq or Afghanistan. Meanwhile, no one is yelling at the Age of Empires development team for using an abstract representation of Napoleonic war vets.

And more of a qualitative assessment:

- How plausible is it for a video game, or the entertainment industries generally, to use representations of war to convey a coherent message about the experience or worth of war? Are any high profile games likely to convey something beyond "War is hell" or "Watching your buddies die is not pleasant" while needing to be a commercially viable product?

desc on

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't see anything wrong with it. The reason there's no good Vietnam War games is because Vietnam wasn't a very "fun" war (WWII was the funnest), so no one wants to play it. It's not because people feel it's offensive to the Vietnamese.

As long as they don't push any racial "all brown people are terrorists" thing or whatever, it's fine with me.

Scooter on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well WW2 has thwo things going for it

1. It was a true super powers war. Very evenly matched for the most part. Last time we really had world powers duking it out. There's something more romantic about that notion whereas modern wars are far more unbalanced. People are going to get turned off by the idea of shooting villagers or desperate insurgents armed with crappy homemade weapons.

2. Compared to modern wars it's pretty hard to defend Nazi Germany. They make the easiest villains ever. Modern wars like Vietnam or Terrorists the field gets a whole lot murkier. Game designers are lazy.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Considering that this game will actually feature the stories of some of the Marines who were there, and bring up issues such as survivor's guilt after having your leg shredded by shrapnel and carried off the battlefield, or begging a chaplain to deliver a letter to your wife in case you die, makes this more than acceptable to me.

This isn't your average game, its trying to give you the actual feelings of what it feels like, rather than glorifying an abstraction of war.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    clsCorwin wrote: »
    Considering that this game will actually feature the stories of some of the Marines who were there, and bring up issues such as survivor's guilt after having your leg shredded by shrapnel and carried off the battlefield, or begging a chaplain to deliver a letter to your wife in case you die, makes this more than acceptable to me.

This isn't your average game, its trying to give you the actual feelings of what it feels like, rather than glorifying an abstraction of war.

Pretty much my feeling on it.

I found this point interesting, though:
    Creating a game absent of political overtones may prove difficult. Although Atomic Games is talking to Iraqis involved in the conflict, they haven't decided whether players will be able to fight as an enemy against the marines. The game is still in development and Atomic may change its mind. "We're still deciding what's appropriate to include," says Mr. Tamte.

I think this is definitely where time comes into play. There are plenty of games out there now where you can shoot U.S. soldiers or shoot down U.S. planes in WWII. But playing as our opponent in an ongoing conflict? On the one hand, it's fundamentally no different. On the other....well, yeah.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i would love if this were a video game that made you feel horrified, uncomfortable, sad, scared, etc. I would love it if this game were difficult to play, perhaps not even fun, but managed to compel you through the experience because you had to know, because you had to complete that experience.

a lot of books are disturbing, horrifying, hard to read, and not fun. there are many movies that are similar. people sit through them, analyze them, and - perhaps not enjoy, but are fulfilled by them. They are satisfied. Non-entertaining art is often the most capable of evoking emotion and providing some kind of valuable experience.

I think games certainly have that power, but as a medium that is so firmly rooted in profit margins, I don't think a game that really takes advantage of the medium's immersive power to produce this kind of deeper experience will come from a major studio. That kind of game wouldn't sell. The audience for games is into escapist entertainment - there's nothing wrong with that in itself, of course, but it has consequences.

I don't think this game will be much different from other third person shooters that attempt to inject morality into the experience, but I hope it is.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    desc wrote: »
    - Is it appropriate to make games based on real world conflicts?
    Sure. As long as you're not screaming "kill them fuckin d*** c***" in the game. And, even ones not based on real world conflicts can still be visceral. Call of Duty 4 incited some bad PTSD dreams... shit I thought I got over years ago.

There is a slight... distaste... that can be entered into such games, especially if they simulate "non-combat interaction". Playing an insurgent planting IEDs in baby carts or playing a Serbian burning a village for ethnic cleansing just ain't gonna be cool, no matter how you slice it.

One intersting thing... I haven't seen a lot of games with a campaign mode (not talking about BF1942) that puts you in the "control" of a German or Japanese footsoldier. Pilot, sure (e.g. flight sims). Battlefield commander, sure (e.g. Company of Heroes). But not a first-person view of a footsoldier, carrying out the subjegation of 2.2 continents.
    Scooter wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with it. The reason there's no good Vietnam War games is because Vietnam wasn't a very "fun" war (WWII was the funnest), so no one wants to play it. It's not because people feel it's offensive to the Vietnamese.
    WWII was only "funnest" for people who didn't actually fight in WWII.
    I have two minds when it comes to this. One side... I think it's appropriate to show people that war really is really nasty shit and you shouldn't be doing it. Other side... I am not sure if the actual feelings of what it really feels like to be in a war really needs to be simulated so that everyone else shares the nightmares.

GungHo on
  • Options
    postinonthenetspostinonthenets Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think the CoD games have come close to giving a representation of war. The times review of it mentioned the mission in the gunship, which I totally noticed.

The vietnam war is a stain on our national history, while WWII is possibly one of our proudest moments. Which one do you think they will make a game about?

postinonthenets on
    Solitude sometimes is best society, and short retirement urges sweet return

Twitter
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    World War II I think shows up a lot in videogames also because it's a historical period that had a very interesting weapon balance. It's one of the few time periods where you'll see bolt action rifles, sub-machine guns, semi-auto rifles, assault rifles, machineguns and the like side by side on the same battlefield.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I play CODMW with at least a half-dozen guys who are in the military. Two of them are leaving for Iraq this week, one left last week. They love the game and are great at it (which seems to indicate the system works).

If the military likes playing games based on the wars they are currently fighting, who am I to say such games are disrespectful?

Granted, the treatment of the individual game matters - there's actually some very good and serious drama in the 1p COD4 game and the military attitude seems to be well captured. If the treatment was less respectful or more prurient, it probably wouldn't have the same audience.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    KoolaidguyKoolaidguy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I really dont see the problem. If anything this will most likely cause less conroversy than COD4.

Koolaidguy on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Vietnam is a poor example. It's been done with success.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I had hoped that there could be a bigger discussion of "Games as Art" in my G&T thread, but I think it bears repeating here. (lord knows I've been hanging here more often than not anyways)

That said, I do hope that this marks a different take on gaming as an expressive artform rather than entertainment. I'm not sure that it will - I think it may bow to the needs of marketing in the end - but the fact that they're going for an angle that would make it more documentary-like is heartening.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think the tone is everything. It's probably possible to make a very thought-provoking, well-handled, "literary" video game about the experience of war (actually, war would be one of the most feasible IRL topics; how do you make a video game about existential angst or whatever?). Of course, most game developers don't try to do this and instead take the Contra approach ("these are the bad guys, you're a good guy. Whoop some ass").

Still, this game sounds very interesting. The fact that they're approaching it as much as a story (or collection of stories) as it is a video game makes me think they could pull it off.

Duffel on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I once played an Army officer's training game. This was at Orlando Science Center's video game event (Otronicon.) I felt bad for the Army guy all alone at the exhibit, for it was just the wrong audience. (Young punks with no attention span straight out of Florida's education system.)

The purpose of the game was to train officers to meet with Iraqi officers to negotiate to get what you need while giving them as much of what they need as they can (Supplies, troops, food, etc.) Keep in mind this was in 2007.

First you would have something that you need to request from the officer, such as more of their soldiers taking on the security load, and that officer may have requests of their own. You would plan out talking points, research fictional (or not?) reports on events occurring, and set up a meeting when you are ready.

When you actually talk to the guy, the multiple choice talking points you have depend greatly on the research you have done. For example, I went straight to making the request and pissed off the officer. I should have kept it casual initially, saying "hey how's your family" and such.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    ...how do you make a video game about existential angst...

Rannic-Evangelionsm.jpg

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    World War II I think shows up a lot in videogames also because it's a historical period that had a very interesting weapon balance. It's one of the few time periods where you'll see bolt action rifles, sub-machine guns, semi-auto rifles, assault rifles, machineguns and the like side by side on the same battlefield.

It's also the most playable, as it actually had fronts, so you don't need directional hearing to know who's shooting at you, but didn't stick you in a trench for the whole game only to have you run to your doom at the end.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think the tone is everything. It's probably possible to make a very thought-provoking, well-handled, "literary" video game about the experience of war (actually, war would be one of the most feasible IRL topics; how do you make a video game about existential angst or whatever?). Of course, most game developers don't try to do this and instead take the Contra approach ("these are the bad guys, you're a good guy. Whoop some ass").

Still, this game sounds very interesting. The fact that they're approaching it as much as a story (or collection of stories) as it is a video game makes me think they could pull it off.

The other thing is, is it "bad" or "controversial" because it is a video game and you drive one of the soldiers?

I mean, if you watched Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan or Generation Kill, you've seen what's going to be presented in such a game. Does it become not-art and not-drama because it's a video game?

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I rented COD4 when it came out, watched the intro about as far as the people lined up against the wall and shot, sat there for a second, and then hit eject. I find that my desire to watch realistic depictions of what happens to people in war is pretty much nonexistent, especially as visual fidelity increases. So I'm not really the target market for this game in the first place.

Having said that, I'm always conflicted about these things. I enjoy more overtly stylized forms of violence in games or movies, but anything that was actually as brutal as real modern warfare I would have a tough time sitting through, even if the developers were trying to convey "war is shitty." I think people get a satisfaction out of getting to engage their instincts towards hunting and warfare, with however much realism, and it's worthwhile to model. I certainly feel all entertained and triumphant when I'm co-oping a game with some buddies and taking down giant bosses in GOW2 or something like that.

But at the same time ... I have to admit, my suspicion about this game is that if they want to bring in soldiers' reactions or difficult experiences, is it going to end up looking like a tear-jerker "Sarge, tell my wife ... I love her ... *croak*" cutscene while someone else's country is smoldering around you? If they take a higher road than that in development, how is this plan to convey the subjective experience of war going to balance against the need for a snappy cover mechanic, fun and engaging third person shooting, and so on? Is it going to be a "you can have your bullet laden ice cream after you eat your socially responsible veggies?" thing?

Beyond that, as people have been pointing out, most conflicts are murky. Whose side do you show? Whose side don't you show? Do you see anything besides the peak, action-movie-ified moment of open fire, or do you have a bonus game level like Frogger where kids try to avoid getting blown up by left over landmines? Somehow I suspect a video game which mostly consists of your character going to physical therapy to learn to live with prosthetic limbs while waiting for the VA to process his paperwork would probably not get very high scores from Gamespot or IGN. A game where you play a scientist studying the health risks that come with using DU shells would probably not be a best-seller.

Oh well. I am genuinely interested to see the final product and see the reaction to it.

desc on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The other thing is, is it "bad" or "controversial" because it is a video game and you drive one of the soldiers?

I mean, if you watched Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan or Generation Kill, you've seen what's going to be presented in such a game. Does it become not-art and not-drama because it's a video game?
    I think VG's can be art, or at least can be used to convey a message deeper than pure entertainment.

They don't do this often, but it can be done.

Also, is this a 3PS or an FPS?

Duffel on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009

I think VG's can be art, or at least can be used to convey a message deeper than pure entertainment.

For example, a game version of Mice and Men which draws you to the inevitable end no matter what the player does (this would probably require a supercomputer and the best programmers of all time, though)

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't see how you can make a meaningful, morally ambiguous game that adheres to the standard FPS style of gameplay.

By "standard" I don't mean the perspective and that your character has a gun. I mean with a focus on fast-paced action, "challenge," and adrenaline rushes. The fact is that neither your character nor your enemies in these games has any emotional resonance whatsoever. Your character comes back if he dies, instantly. Your enemies may as well be the not-zombies from Resident Evil 4.

You can't simply take this formula and slap on "emotional resonance" and "moral ambiguity." These are things that the underlying gameplay needs to be designed around. Shadow of the Colossus is really the only "action" game I can think of that even comes close to accomplishing this. A war game would have to go a lot farther to satisfy me.

I think it's unconscionable to make trivial action games out of real wars where people suffered and died, let alone current wars.

Qingu on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Definitely part of the equation. The Second World War saw the involvement of effectively the world's biggest industrial powers--the United States, Germany, Japan, and the Soviet Union (just to name a few). All of these countries, and their allies, either manufactured or had limited access to things like submarines, aircraft carriers, jet-propelled fighters. There really is no one specific technology that any side totally lacked (though some newer things like radar come close). That, and the sheer diversity of theaters makes for a huge potential game component that remains at least somewhat true to the actual event.

Let's face forward to the Vietnam Conflict. Ignoring the fact that US developers don't seemed to be allowed or have no way to make a video game from the perspective of North Vietnam, if you want a flight simulator, it is going to be from the perspective of the United States. Conversely, if you wanted a simulation that put you in the perspective of an anti-aircraft gunner (as boring as that sounds) or air defense soldier, you're going to have to play from the perspective of the North almost certainly. Your options, for the sake of enjoyment, are more limited.

Plus, there's the whole psychology of the "Good War" (not necessarily the case, but it is in our national psyche), but that goes without saying.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

They are completely different forms of entertainment. I certainly think that videogames can be art. But a movie is not in any way the same as an "interactive" version of the movie. The very fact that interactivity creates goals completely changes the equation. A "viewer" is a very different entity than a "player" and interacts with the medium in a completely different way.

Qingu on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

For example, a game version of Mice and Men which draws you to the inevitable end no matter what the player does (this would probably require a supercomputer and the best programmers of all time, though)

This would be the most heartbreaking thing ever.

More on-topic, I have no problem with it in theory. Like I said in the G&T thread, if movies , television, books, and popular music have been doing it and presenting personal stories based around the conflict, I have no idea why video games should be a neglected format for this sort of thing. I think it's getting a lot of reactionary bitching partly because when people think "video game," they immediately assume some sort of shallow experience, even hardcore fans of games, and even people who have played and enjoyed games that weren't shallow or meaningless.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

More on-topic, I have no problem with it in theory. Like I said in the G&T thread, if movies , television, books, and popular music have been doing it and presenting personal stories based around the conflict, I have no idea why video games should be a neglected format for this sort of thing. I think it's getting a lot of reactionary bitching partly because when people think "video game," they immediately assume some sort of shallow experience, even hardcore fans of games, and even people who have played and enjoyed games that weren't shallow or meaningless.
    What war games were not shallow and meaningless?

What games actually added to your understanding of the moral complexity and suffering involved in warfare?

I understand that there are ways in which games have a great deal of depth and meaning. But those ways don't really track with what we're talking about in this thread.

Qingu on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Qingu wrote: »

What games actually added to your understanding of the moral complexity and suffering involved in warfare?
    COD4's intro and nuclear blast scene were the two greatest storytelling moments in FPS history

Rent on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Rent wrote: »

COD4's intro and nuclear blast scene were the two greatest storytelling moments in FPS history
    ...that's not exactly saying much.

Can you explain why they were so meaningful? Or should I just look at them on Youtube?

Edit: in light of these scenes, did you have any moral qualms with gunning down people in the game?

Qingu on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

This is precisely the game I was thinking of. Additionally, you have to remember not to try and hold these games up to some impossible standard that you wouldn't hold other popular media to. A war movie doesn't have to completely explain extremely complex issues or the rationale and politics behind the war in order to present a worthwhile story.

From the start, this Six Days in Fallujah game has been about soldiers from the conflict and their efforts to get their personal experiences put through to a wider audience. That they chose a game to do it in doesn't make the effort any less meaningful.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Can you explain why they were so meaningful? Or should I just look at them on Youtube?

The intro stars a desposed foreign leader of a Middle Eastern country, on his final ride to be publicly executed on the world stage
    You play as him...it's...it's impossible to put in words, but they take advantage of the forced perspective to create a real sense of tension and palpable terror
    It flips the notion of being "invincible" in an FPS on its head; you are going to die, there is nothing you can do about it, and you are not a bad guy. The Bad Guys have won. You take the looong, sloooow taxi ride through the city, watching the city flicker by...former supporters being gunned down in the streets...normal people going about their business. And then you get forced on stage...yeah. It's very good
    It's...it's amazing
    Seriously, Qingu, I can totally understand your complaints about FPSes but COD4 was actually very thought-provoking on the issues you've raised and gave me a glimpse of what these guys can do with OIF if they truly wanted to
    Also, I agree that that's not saying much, but even removed it's a fine piece of storytelling on its own

Rent on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Edit: in light of these scenes, did you have any moral qualms with gunning down people in the game?
    That's a fair question....I didn't really have any moral qualms, but Infinity Ward made the point that just because you're on the "Good" side doesn't mean you always win, and that War is Hell, and that Might does not make Right.

Of course, I'm also in the army, and I'm being deployed in a month and a half, so I kind of have to be black and white about those sorts of moral qualms. (There's no place in debating matters of who is right or wrong when motherfuckers be shooting at you and your squadmates. Sorry) That might've influenced my opinions whilst playing...the insurgents certainly do have a somewhat lukewarm good reason to fight against us, they're just going about it all wrong and being cocks about it, imo
    I dunno. Qingu I'm not the best to ask, you should probably ask a civilian who's played how they feel about COD4 since my perceptions are inherently skewed.

Rent on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think that no matter how realistic a video game is made, it's goddamn silly to ever think it's anything like real war. Same way a driving simulator is nothing like real driving.

The only people who don't seem to understand this are kids. And, honestly, I'm sure our government is more than happy for kids to think war is like a video game.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think that no matter how realistic a video game is made, it's goddamn silly to ever think it's anything like real war. Same way a driving simulator is nothing like real driving.

The only people who don't seem to understand this are kids. And, honestly, I'm sure our government is more than happy for kids to think war is like a video game.

Do you really think there are people consciously thinking "I'm glad our kids don't understand that war is one of the most horrible things imaginable, and that it destroys people whether they live or die, and ruins millions of lives; that means we can manipulate them more effectively!" ?

I find it hard to believe.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I understand that there are ways in which games have a great deal of depth and meaning. But those ways don't really track with what we're talking about in this thread.

Does Deus Ex count?

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    As long as we are talking about COD4 don't forget where you are manning the weapons in that gunship through the little nightvision TV camera. It's so impersonal and distant and your team-mates cheer your on. I don't know, it really captured the horror and disconnect of modern war to me.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Do you really think there are people consciously thinking "I'm glad our kids don't understand that war is one of the most horrible things imaginable, and that it destroys people whether they live or die, and ruins millions of lives; that means we can manipulate them more effectively!" ?

I don't.

Makes it easier to hit enlistment numbers, that's for sure.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

The greatest thing COD4 did story wise was presenting the good guys not as supermen who make the world a better place. The US invasion fails, thousands of servicemen are killed, the entire area is destabilized, and America's enemies are emboldened.

Although in the end you "win", there's so many people killed. It's inescapable that millions of civilians die as a direct result of the actions of the good guys. We never actually see any of these civilians, but in one mission as you're approaching a village, the forces there (emboldened by the victory against the americans in imaginarymuslimcountry) are heard executing civilians out of view.

Another thing, the nuclear scene, you only die because you go back to save a single downed pilot. Being the hero gets you and everyone with you killed.

I think a game could perhaps go further than that, but expecting much more is being unrealistic.

override367 on
  • Options
    Grim SqueakerGrim Squeaker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

They'd probably disagree that war is one of the most horrible things imaginable, and are glad that there so many boys ready to be made man of. Especially if its against the darkies.

I wish these people would stop thinking. Or breathing.

Grim Squeaker on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

That's a fair question....I didn't really have any moral qualms, but Infinity Ward made the point that just because you're on the "Good" side doesn't mean you always win, and that War is Hell, and that Might does not make Right.

I'd also submit the barn scene in Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway.
    The level begins with you seeing some German troops dragging a civilian girl into a barn. When you fight through their defenses and reach the barn to effect a rescue you get
    biahh2008-10-2123-14-01-88.jpg

It definitely drives home the whole "Hey, just because you're the 'good' guys does not mean everything's going to turn out hunky-dory message that the game espouses.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Similarly, I can't bring myself to even look at Kane & Lynch. It's a mediocre shooter but from previews it looks like you're more involved with killing dozens of cops instead of focusing on a clean getaway. Cop killing ain't cool. :(

emnmnme on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »

I'd also submit the barn scene in Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway.
    The level begins with you seeing some German troops dragging a civilian girl into a barn. When you fight through their defenses and reach the barn to effect a rescue you get
    biahh2008-10-2123-14-01-88.jpg

It definitely drives home the whole "Hey, just because you're the 'good' guys does not mean everything's going to turn out hunky-dory message that the game espouses.

Isn't that more of a "the Germans are super-evil swine" message though? Though I agree there's some touching scenes in that game.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot