As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fantasy Sandbox]Dwarfs (and non Dwarfs) go Adventuring (and Zombie Survival-ing)

• Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    you're posting transcripts, right?
    You know, if you're talking full-on logs I have no idea of how to do such a thing. I'll make sure someone keeps track of what's going on though so we can post a summary.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just to make sure I'm correct in my timing, 9:30 GMT is 5:30 EST correct?

piL on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I've no idea. Click here and it'll tell you my current time, which you can work from there. I always forget whether British Summer Time messes things up. From what I can gather I'm 5 hours ahead of EST so 9:30 will be 4:30 EST. I may be all wrong, though.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    You know, if you're talking full-on logs I have no idea of how to do such a thing. I'll make sure someone keeps track of what's going on though so we can post a summary.

... doesn't copy and paste work?

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Well, a full transcript could be done that way, but it might look messy. I'll provide both a full on transcript dump and a much nicer session summary in the thread.

Of course, anyone that can't play but is interested is welcome to come and sit in as long as they're quiet and don't touch anyone.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Well, a full transcript could be done that way, but it might look messy. I'll provide both a full on transcript dump and a much nicer session summary in the thread.

Of course, anyone that can't play but is interested is welcome to come and sit in as long as they're quiet and don't touch anyone.

can I touch myself?

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Only if you put a beard on it.
    a tiny beard

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I put up my own thread for the game I intend to run so as to not clog this one up; any interested parties who did not get into this game but are still following this thread should check it out.

Also I totally stole your OP.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just wanted to pop in and mention that I really like the system. Seems like it'd make for some quick and fun games. I may have to give it a shot some time.

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Okay so this is in 20 minutes or an hour and twenty minutes, right

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I went ahead and got onto the irc just to be sure.

piL on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    piL wrote: »
    I went ahead and got onto the irc just to be sure.

unless you are 'luc', I don't see you D:

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I got on early just in case.

The Everyman on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So here's the damage system modification I was suggesting. I don't know if I'm really sold on it, and it probably has it's own problems as well (in fact, as is, everybody's got a 1 in 6 chance of getting wrecked with a sword. Doh!) Still, wanted to explain what I was thinking without trying to do it in IRC.

I think there's a bit of danger in the linear way damage works. It's potentially awkward at both extremes I think. So here's what I thought I'd propose to try and 'fix' it (dunno how it would work, and it may just clog up the whole thing)

Each player has 3 hp (perks can give more?)

Player A gets hit with a sword for 3 damage. He then makes a body roll, using the following chart.

5 =1 damage
    7 -2 damage
    10 -3 damage
    14 -4 damage
    19 -5 damage
    24 -6 damage

So lets say he has 6 body, and rolls a 4--that's 10, which results in -3 damage. So he takes no damage. If it was a great axe, it would still be one more damage, so he'd lose a third of his hp.

If in the next round he rolls again, but this time rolls a 2, that gives him 8; -2 damage. 3-2 is one which would add a third to his damage. A greataxe would have taken him to 0

As you have it now, with six body, a great axe would have flattened him anyway, but so would a sword. If he had 8 body, the sword wouldn't have done much at all to him (unless he rolls a 1!), and he would still be walking after the greataxe a bit.

piL on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Here's the raw dump from the game room. I'll write up a proper summary tomorrow when I'm less tired. Some good times and death-cheating.
    <GMSooga> The sun is rising over the orange-hued mountains of Hamur Valley as the five of you sit on the dusty benches outside Vilstun Outpost. Breakfast has been generously prepared by the outpost's cook with what little meat was left in the stores, padded out with old, crumbly potatoes. The road lies empty in both directions, the nearby mine being abandoned for weeks now and barely a handful of travellers seen in that time. A band of ex
    <GMSooga> A band of explorers headed towards the mine but none came back. With barely a coin left between you there doesn't seem to be much to stay here for. Still, for now you should eat your breakfast.
    <KuletTheRed> Eating slowly, Kulet does her best to make the meager amount of food last as long as she can, picking at the potatoes with the tip of her fork. "I could use some rum," she comments to nobody in particular around a mouthful of food.
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "I swear by my father's beard, there's something wrong about an outpost cook being as thin as all that," Mordin remarks as he chews his meat.
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "It's not natural."
    <McGuff_luc> With a chuckle that almost causes him to chock on a wayward piece of gristle, "Food is food. Eat and be merry. Not long now and we shall see where our future holds."
    <McGuff_luc> *choke
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "And I doubt there's a bottle of rum in this entire place. It's like the whole damn place's been taken over by fool monks all eager to renounce all the wordly pleasures a man might think of."
    <TruckTheRobust> Truck, meanwhile, shovels what food he has into his mouth, all merry like. He eats with his hands, leaving the worn cutlery to sit beside his plate. Eventually, he points over to Kulet's plate with a big, meaty finger. "You gon' eat that?"
    <KuletTheRed> "He wasn't that thin when he got here," Kulet decides, "That's how you know you can trust him." She eyes Truck at the question and brandishes her fork threateningly towards the finger. "Every bit of it."
    <AmbroseTheAstute> Fingers poised above his bowl, Ambrose mutters quietly to himself, face turning red with effort. He keeps this up for a few moments, changing the posture of his hand or the order in which he murmurs the incantation. Finally, with an exhausted sigh, the wizard-dwarf resigns to spooning a bland chunk of potato into his mouth. "Used to be able to make water taste like ale, and 'taters like hot roast duck, back in my day..." he mumbl
    <GMSooga> Vilstun, a single-building outpost behind you, consists of little more than three rooms. One serving as a sleeping area. One as both a smithy, repairshop and general store and the smallest as a cramped kitchen and barrel store. Nowadays it's mostly empty barrels.
    <AmbroseTheAstute> "Used to be able to make water taste like ale, and 'taters like hot roast duck, back in my day..." he mumbles in a raspy voice at everyone and no one in particular. "Not any more."**
    <McGuff_luc> Having eaten his breakfast surprisingly quickly, McGuff stood up and passed his plate back to the cook, "Any more? A dwarf don't get as fat as me without healthy eating and second helpings."
    * Mordin_Farsighted snorts at the thought of healthy eating in this place.
    <Mordin_Farsighted> Having a dwarven nose as he does, the snort is quite audible.
    * McGuff_luc acknowledges the snort with a sigh, thinking of the old tales about dwarves living on rocks
    <GMSooga> the cook, Greasy Halby, shakes his head silently and snatches the plate back, disappearing into the kitchen without a word
    <AmbroseTheAstute> "Here sonny," Ambrose offers, handing the majority of his bowl to McGuff. "Help yerself."
    <KuletTheRed> "I hate to leave the people here alone, but I think migration is looking like a necessity." Kulet finishes her meal quietly, then leans back. "Thanks Halby, it's much appreciated--the weather's just got everybody down."
    <McGuff_luc> Not one to ask questions, McGuff takes the bowl with a smile and a nod. "At least some have manners." he says as he makes a sweep of the benches, pausing ever so slightly at Mordin.
    * McGuff_luc , still eating, wonders over into the general store with his plate of food rather quickly being shovelled into his mouth.
    <GMSooga> Halby smiles at KuletTheRed faintly and takes the plate back. Looking for a moment as if he's about to speak before turning and getting back to cleaning the kitchen.
    * McGuff_luc eyes at the goods in the store
    <GMSooga> at the General Store Ragnar the Fat is stood at the counter, hammering at a piece of metal that looks like a shield a dragon chewed up
    <McGuff_luc> "Hey Ragnar, anything that you want off your hands?"
    <GMSooga> Ragnar grumbles as he pounds at the cold metal with little effect before throwing it back onto a pile of scrap in frustration
    <GMSooga> Ragnar looks up "of course! You come into some gold lately?"
    <GMSooga> "I don't hear too much of it around here"
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "Ach, I give up. I'll torture ye n'more, o venerable meat of the First Age. May you be in peace after yer long service." Despite this, Mordin has left very little in the way of leftovers as he returns his plate.
    <McGuff_luc> "Nah, I can see myself having to take my business elsewhere. That cook'll have to leave soon too. Howd'ya plan to keep yourself Ragnar?"
    <KuletTheRed> Wiping her beard clean with a napkin, Kulet pulls out a toothpick to pick at her teeth, turning to consider Ragnar's answer.
    <GMSooga> "well, I could 'ead back to Guldtun but that bastard Gorin runs the two biggest shops over there these days. I remember when that smarmy git were askin' me for a job!" Ragnar spits on the ground
    <GMSooga> "I'd only end up workin' for him, and I ain't having that while I got some fire left in me"
    <McGuff_luc> "Well, old buddy, " pausing to eye their almost identical rotund stomachs, "if you need anything being moved on for a small fee of me getting the item, let me know."
    <GMSooga> "perhaps head over to the Dwarflands, I nae fancy workin for the humans around 'ere. How about ye lot?"
    * KuletTheRed rolls her eyes at the McGuff, "Why don't you learn to do something useful, like dig or something?"
    * McGuff_luc takes great offence, "You implying I don't know how to dig, woman?"
    <TruckTheRobust> "Diggin's important," Truck blurts in. "Me daddy was a digger, 'e was."
    <GMSooga> "oh, I ain't got much worth sellin'. Anythin yer after?"
    <KuletTheRed> "I ain't never seen you do it."
    <McGuff_luc> "What you ain't seen is a lot of things."
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "I'll be waiting for one o mine many, many rich uncles and aunts to pass away and leave me a fortune."
    <McGuff_luc> "I'll have no more from you now, I'm trying to have a chat with my friend Ragnar."
    <AmbroseTheAstute> arches an eyebrow at Truck. "I knew yer daddy. He wasn't anything more than a pick-dragging roustabout."
    <KuletTheRed> "I've seen things that would make you whimper as you sleep. But you
    <KuletTheRed> But you're right; that's enough."
    * McGuff_luc takes Ragnar to one side. "You look after yourself old fella. If you need anything, just give my great uncle in the dwarflands a shout and McGuff will be glad to help."
    <TruckTheRobust> "Don't you say such about my daddy, woman!"
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "Now if only I knew where I'd put all my relations that weren't poorer than a...eh." Mordin loses interest in his own simile not even halfway through with a wave of his hand.
    <GMSooga> Ragnar smiles "thankye, I'll stay on me feet, y'know"
    <AmbroseTheAstute> "I only say what is true," Ambrose smiles disarmingly at Truck. "That does not mean he was not a damned fine drinker. That he was."
    <GMSooga> Ragnar crouches down to the ground and rummages through assorted scrap items in the corner
    * McGuff_luc crouches down with Ragnar
    <KuletTheRed> "Many good Dwarves are miners. But this is a problem we can't dig our way out of. If we stay here, we're going to run out of food."
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "Fact is, I'm beginning to have a dread that I'm destined to be the one of my vast and extended clan who's supposed to go out and make some damn gold for other people to inherit."
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "What a world."
    <McGuff_luc> With a whisper only he can hear, "Keep an 'eye on the old mine my friend. A bid you farewell, for how long I don't know."
    * Mordin_Farsighted shakes his head in mock dismay.
    <TruckTheRobust> "You best watch yer mouth," Truck shouts. "I'll smash yet 'ead open sure as these words comin' out of yer mouth is lies!"
    <KuletTheRed> "Truck, let it go. He didn't mean anything by it, and erryone knows your father's greatness."
    * McGuff_luc stands up and walks outside, shunning the woman, wondering why the group folllowed him. That girl was always away dreaming. Wouldn't know something real if it hit her in the face. Passing the plate back to the cook he smiles, "Look after Ragnar son, and you after yerself."
    <AmbroseTheAstute> "I speak no lies, young Truck. What reason have I to do so? It is true, your father skirted his work when he could, but that did not stop him from doing it - and well - when he did. He was a dwarf that preferred his drink. And drink he did, putting even the most respected dwarf to shame. Your daddy was a good friend of mine, and I would expect him to want my head intact."
    <TruckTheRobust> "You ain't know nothin'," Truck roars, climbing onto a nearby table. "You're a liar and a cheat!" He slams a hand against his heavily tattooed chest. "Lyin' to Truck!"
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "It's all well when you prefer your drink, it's when you prefer your neighbors that the daggers start flying."
    <McGuff_luc> Rubbing his hands, McGuff howls to the bickering group, "So, who wants off to Mikrak then?"
    <AmbroseTheAstute> Ambrose simply smiles, and spreads his hands wide, as if he has nothing more to offer.
    <AmbroseTheAstute> The wizard-dwarf then turns to McGuff and nods. "Where we go, I follow."
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "It can't be as abysmally dismal as this place, can it?"
    <GMSooga> Minkrak is the mine this outpost once served the miners of, having been abandoned for some weeks now
    <GMSooga> the last supply wagon never made it back and it's some two hours walk down the Western road
    <McGuff_luc> "We can stop off at Minkrak before we start in earnest off to Bluewater."
    <GMSooga> the mountains that seperate Hamur Valley from the lands to the West are pretty trecherous
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "If our luck holds, they died less poor than we will."
    <McGuff_luc> "If you don't want Minkrak's remaining gold, we could skip it and just go straight onto Bluewater."
    * McGuff_luc notices Truck on the table
    * McGuff_luc walks over to Truck
    <McGuff_luc> "Calm down my old friend. We can always slay the real troll, not the troll from someone's mouth."
    <KuletTheRed> "To Bluewater? Well, I wouldn't mind seeing what happened to that missing supply wagon. We should see if we can find it."
    <AmbroseTheAstute> Ambrose knits his brow, and reaches to touch his mouth -- what troll? Realized the jest, he chuckles.
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "How long ago did you say it went missing?"
    * TruckTheRobust huffs, obviously worked up.
    <TruckTheRobust> "Fool wizard ain't gon' get away with dirtyin' my daddy's name."
    <GMSooga> Ragnar speaks up "the last supply wagon past 'ere? About a week ago"
    <GMSooga> "they usually come back the next day, ye see"
    <McGuff_luc> "Ambrose. You _didn't_ mean it. Did _you_?
    <AmbroseTheAstute> "Of course I did," he says amiably, letting a word hang on the tip of his tongue, "Not."
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "Then, with the luck I mentioned afore, we might just get to the wagon 'fore the ambient thievery of the world in general takes away anything worth finding."
    <KuletTheRed> "I could probably make quite a killing in Bluewater. I'd be happy to strike off that way, as long as Truck'll go."
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "O'course, I don't hold with luck, myself."
    <KuletTheRed> "Do we have the supplies necessary for the journey?"
    * Mordin_Farsighted kisses a small leather bag he has hung around his neck on a cord.
    <GMSooga> in addition to any rations you have on your person, Halby has packed a pretty pathetic pouch of dried meat for each of you
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "Do we have the means of getting them if we don't, Kulet?"
    <GMSooga> almost as if he's eager for you to get out of here
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "I'd say we've got all there's to be had in this sorry place."
    <TruckTheRobust> "Course he didn't mean it," Truck relents. "Ascairt of my axe in 'is 'ead, he is."
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "I, for one, won't weep to shake the dust of here and now from my boots."
    <KuletTheRed> "We should be able to make due with Halby's generosity, and if we need more, we can hunt something or fish."
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "Not that that's likely to make 'em any less dusty."
    <McGuff_luc> "Truck, yer' daddy would rather you slay orcs and trolls rather than some worthless magic dwarf, eh?"
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "Fish?"
    <AmbroseTheAstute> "Scared? -- no. But that doesn't mean I wish it all in the same."
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "FISH?"
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "Have ye looked AROUND lately?"
    * AmbroseTheAstute smiles wide, and stands. "Should we be off soon? ... Or?"
    <KuletTheRed> "There's a stream on the way I mean. Lets just go and scrounge for whatever supplies we can find."
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "As soon as those two get their little fistfight over, I'd guess."
    * TruckTheRobust climbs down from the table and cracks his knuckles.
    <TruckTheRobust> "Might as well let 'em be, somethin' fierce'll et him anyway."
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "I'd bet on Truck ther meself, if I were not fresh out of any sort or form of coin to bet with."
    <McGuff_luc> "C'mon fella, I'm up for some stories about yer' daddy. We can talk about it whilst we walk onto Minkrak."
    <McGuff_luc> "We all set to go dwarves and woman?"
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "Ah, big boy, I nearly had all my nonexistent wealth riding on you, and you back down like that!"
    * McGuff_luc makes a rude gesture to Mordin out of Truck's eyesight.
    * AmbroseTheAstute nods, and takes a step to the west. Pausing, Ambrose reconsiders and turns around to follow the group. "Err, yes. Let's move ourselves."
    <McGuff_luc> "Amrbose, fetch our food. Mordin, take point. Off we go."
    <KuletTheRed> Kulet rises and hefts her already packed bag to her shoulder and slings her crossbow. She woke up with intent this morning. "I'm good. Thank you Halby, we'll miss you. Take care Ragnar, I'm not worried about you at all. Ancestors be with you."

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Part 2

<GMSooga> You head Westward, towards Mikrak, the sun rising behind you as the you near the mountains ahead.
    * AmbroseTheAstute shrugs happily and grabs the packages of food, stuffing them in his sleeves before setting off.
    <GMSooga> (and I want Awareness rolls from all of you. That's 1d6 + Awareness)
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "...wonder whose ancestors he cut those slices off..." Mordin mutters.
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for McGuff_luc [1d6]: 3> +1 Awareness check
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for AmbroseTheAstute [1d6]: 4> +1
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for TruckTheRobust [1d6]: 3> +1
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for Mordin_Farsighted [1d6]: 2> + 5 awareness (AREN'T YOU GLAD I'M ON POINT)
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for KuletTheRed [1d6]: 4> Awareness
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "Some very friendly gobbos up front, come to ask us for alms for the poor," Mordin suddenly remarks.
    * TruckTheRobust lets out a righteous roar of laughter! "Gobbos!"
    <McGuff_luc> 'How many?"
    * TruckTheRobust unslings his waraxe.
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "I make five."
    <GMSooga> As Mordin alerts you all, you can now all see 5 goblins around bow-shot distance away. You see them panic as they see you, starting to fumble for their arrows
    <GMSooga> (COMBAT - Action starts on AmbroseTheAstute and moves in the order of the user list)
    * AmbroseTheAstute rubs his beard, then with sudden deliberation thrusts his stubby fingers forward as they crackle with light. The wizard-dwarf slams his staff into the ground, and the beams of light shoot forth as he casts Searing Light.
    <GMSooga> (give me a spell roll, anything but a 1 and it casts)
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for AmbroseTheAstute [1d6]: 6>
    <GMSooga> The light sears out and the hissing of goblin flesh reaches you just before their cowardly screams
    <GMSooga> they cower behind their hands for a moment, but none of them fall
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "Well, don't that smell just bring back memories."
    * McGuff_luc laughs
    <AmbroseTheAstute> (I'm done)
    <KuletTheRed> "I shall make them into pretty things," Kulet murmurs, levelling her crossbow and letting loose a bolt.
    <KuletTheRed> /roll 1d6 #dwarf +2 (Crossbow, 3 damage)
    <KuletTheRed> Hm
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for KuletTheRed [1d6]: 6> +2 (Crossbow, 3 damage)
    <GMSooga> (the Goblin is a DN5 target and no other modifiers are in place, so your 7 hits him, and it's a critical)
    <KuletTheRed> (I'm done)
    <GMSooga> the bolt splits a goblin's skull and sends it toppling backwards into the dust
    <GMSooga> dead as a dead goblin
    * McGuff_luc pulls out his axe and aims for the goblin next in line to the goblin that's just had a hole in it's head
    * McGuff_luc charges
    <GMSooga> they're just in charging range, you go toe to toe with a particularly ugly looking goblin with one ear
    <GMSooga> which shrieks at you and pulls a sword
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for McGuff_luc [1d6]: 5> +4 Melee, Axe (3 Damage)
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for GMSooga [1d6]: 2> +2 Goblin
    <GMSooga> your blow hews the goblin in two, dark green blood splattering the dry ground
    <McGuff_luc> (I'm done)
    <GMSooga> (three gobbos remain standing)
    * Mordin_Farsighted draws in his breath and uses the elbow of his left hand to steady his crossbow while he draws a bead on one of the remaining upright gobbos and lets the straining cords loose.
    <GMSooga> (it's a DN5 shot)
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for Mordin_Farsighted [1d6]: 6> + 8 shooting, + 1 Crossbow Expert
    <GMSooga> your bolt hits the centre of the goblin's skull. Even more accurate than Kulet's shot, leaving a clean hole int he goblin's skull as it slumps lifelessly to the ground
    <Mordin_Farsighted> (done!)
    <GMSooga> the remaining two goblins scurry together as best they can, starting to dislike the pattern emerging
    * TruckTheRobust slams a fist into his chest, and then charges at the remaining goblins, roaring a nonsensical roar as he goes, axe overhead in preparation for a murderous chop!
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for TruckTheRobust [1d6]: 1> +4 melee
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for GMSooga [1d6]: 4> +2 Goblin
    <GMSooga> the goblin barely dodges your overhead swipe and stabs its blade into your side
    <GMSooga> (3 Damage, -1 from your Light Armour, take 2 Damage)
    <GMSooga> (and it prevents you engaging again this turn)
    * AmbroseTheAstute chuckles observationally. "Truck! Your father would be disappointed!" he calls, before letting the same energy crackle across his hand and fly to roast the goblins.
    <GMSooga> (waaaiiit)
    <GMSooga> (Gobbo's turn)
    <AmbroseTheAstute> (Gah, sorry)
    <GMSooga> the goblins cackle as they see Truck bleed
    <GMSooga> and scurry around him with their swords, attempting to stab him some more
    <GMSooga> (first Gobbo attacking, -1 to your melee for being surrounded by the extra gob)
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for GMSooga [1d6]: 5> +2 First Gob
    <GMSooga> (now you roll + melee truck)
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for TruckTheRobust [1d6]: 1> +4
    <GMSooga> you get another sword to the gut
    <GMSooga> (another 2 Damage)
    <GMSooga> the second goblin goes for the other side, going for your kidneys
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for GMSooga [1d6]: 4> +2 second gobbo
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for TruckTheRobust [1d6]: 5> +4 melee
    <GMSooga> this gobbo isn't as lucky and gets an axe to the face
    <TruckTheRobust> LITERALLY CLEAVES HIM IN TWAIN.
    <GMSooga> falling to the ground in a heap, a pool of blood growing below him
    <GMSooga> (I'm done! Ambrose)
    * AmbroseTheAstute mutters something about disappointing fathers and getting blood stains on armor before slamming his staff, and casting Searing Light a second time.
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for AmbroseTheAstute [1d6]: 5>
    <GMSooga> the light burns the gobbo's skin, causing it to fall to the ground, screaming in pain before stopping suddenly, dead
    <GMSooga> and all is quiet
    * McGuff_luc begins to loot bodies
    <Mordin_Farsighted> Ditto.
    * McGuff_luc was here first :P
    <GMSooga> are you pooling it together or grabbing for yourselves?
    * AmbroseTheAstute shambles over to Truck and chuckles, "Hold still now." Ambrose casts Healing Word.
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for AmbroseTheAstute [1d6]: 1> Mind - 8
    <GMSooga> fizzzzzle
    <AmbroseTheAstute> Fuck
    <Mordin_Farsighted> I'm looting the one clearly marked by the massive, yet smoothly bored hole in his forehead
    * AmbroseTheAstute chuckles again, apologetically. "Whoops."
    <GMSooga> among the goblin's remains you find coins, looted tools and jewelry amounting to 24 Treasure
    <GMSooga> (1 Treasure = 1gp)
    <KuletTheRed> With a grin, Kulet slings her crossbow and moves to the bodies. Unslinging her pack carefully, she sets it on the ground and pulls out a small furry animal. "Eat up, Elthur," she says, letting the puppy lose onto the corpse of one of the freshly slain goblins, cutting off a piece of meat for the pet to eat.
    * TruckTheRobust quietly pockets five treasures from the goblin he halved.
    * McGuff_luc grabs 7
    * AmbroseTheAstute takes three pieces of particularly pretty look treasure.
    * KuletTheRed is content with four treaures. "Hey Truck, can you do me a favor?"
    * McGuff_luc then give Truck one of his 7 "Nice one old buddy. Split that gobbo in two."
    * Mordin_Farsighted grabs 5 because he's heard that's how much a real fancy hat costs
    * McGuff_luc takes one of the gobbos' swords
    * AmbroseTheAstute sits down, and covers his face in the shade with the brim of his hat.
    * AmbroseTheAstute is resting, as it were.
    <TruckTheRobust> "Maybe," Truck offers.
    * AmbroseTheAstute rubs his hands together. "Let's try that again, shall we?" The dwarf casts Healing Word on Truck.
    <GMSooga> you all spend a few moments catching your breath, the goblin stink starting to become a little unpleasant in the growing heat
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for AmbroseTheAstute [1d6]: 2> Mind: 8
    <KuletTheRed> "The thigh bones are some of the best for carving. You mind chopping me up a few thighs, just above and below the joiints?
    <GMSooga> healing energies flow over Truck and he feels at full strength again
    * McGuff_luc turns to KuletTheRed "Sure."
    * TruckTheRobust raises an eyebrow, but isn't going to argue.
    * McGuff_luc chops a few thighs
    <GMSooga> you all feel rested
    * McGuff_luc hands the thighs to Kulet, "So you cook?"
    * KuletTheRed accepts the thighs gratefully. "Thank you very much; I'll use these to replenish our bolts, and whatever else I can make out of them." She smiles and replaces Elthur into the pack.
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "Ah, my friend gobbos, you offend my nose even more in death than you did in life."
    <KuletTheRed> "That I do, McGuff. And well I might add. I used to have to take care of most of the hunted animals, after all."
    * Mordin_Farsighted walks over to the goblin he's killed, cuts off its ear with his dagger and drops the severed bit into the small leather pouch hanging around his neck.
    <McGuff_luc> "Well, you may proove valuable woman. You don't insinuate I don't dig, and I think we could get along."
    <McGuff_luc> "Is everyone [McGuff eyes the mage] ready to get going again?"
    * Mordin_Farsighted makes a swirling hand motion that indicates he is indeed quite willing to get under way.
    * AmbroseTheAstute smiles. "Yes!" he says, matter-of-factly
    * KuletTheRed places the meaty bloody thighs in a bag and smiles to McGuff. "I'll have to butcher these when we rest."
    * McGuff_luc turns to Truck, "All patched up friend?"
    <TruckTheRobust> "Good enough," Truck offers.
    * McGuff_luc begins to stride forward once again
    <GMSooga> after another hour of walking you finally reach the enterance to Minkrak. Impressive stone doors that are firmly shut, give me awareness rolls everyone
    <McGuff_luc> "Mordin, take point again."
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for KuletTheRed [1d6]: 5> Awareness
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for McGuff_luc [1d6]: 4> +1 Awareness
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for AmbroseTheAstute [1d6]: 1> +1 Awareness
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for TruckTheRobust [1d6]: 3> +1 awareness
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for Mordin_Farsighted [1d6]: 2> + 5
    <GMSooga> Mordin notices the wagon tracks leading to the mine lead in, but not out
    * KuletTheRed approaches the doors and begins to investigate.
    <GMSooga> the door is carved out of the stone of the mountain, smooth and grey
    * AmbroseTheAstute peers inside, trying to see through the darkness.
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "Our massive cornucopia of riches is still inside, eagerly waiting to be plundered by enterprising dwarfs, viz. ourselves."
    <GMSooga> subtly decorated with dwarfish patterns and a crossed pickaxe symbol over the center
    <GMSooga> do you open the door?
    * AmbroseTheAstute blinks. "Oh, it's closed!" He laughs quietly to himself.
    <GMSooga> there is a large metal handle on each door
    <AmbroseTheAstute> "My eyes must be going bad."
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "I cannot imagine that there could be some creepy blood-spilling reason why they never came out again."
    <KuletTheRed> "Impossible. Shall we announce our presence to whatever riches lie within?"
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "So, d'you know, everyone stand down, no need to be on your toes or expect ambush or anything, t'is smooth riding here on."
    * McGuff_luc tries to open one of the doors
    * KuletTheRed readies her crossbow and trains it on the door.
    * Mordin_Farsighted stands back on general principle
    <GMSooga> you pull open the door slowly
    <GMSooga> creeeeeak
    * McGuff_luc makes a note of standing behind the door
    <GMSooga> you hear scurrying from inside... and as the doors swing open you see a pile of shattered wood, cloth and dwarfs
    * McGuff_luc only pulls it open enough to allow the other dwarves in, i.e. Truck_size in
    <GMSooga> and four Gnolls turning and looking at you with savage, drooling, hyena-faces
    <KuletTheRed> *thunk*
    <GMSooga> (action's on Kulet then we work down!)
    <KuletTheRed> Instinctively, Kulet pulls her finger in an attempt to murder one of the hated furry beasts.
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for KuletTheRed [1d6]: 3> +2 (Crossbow, 3 damage)
    <GMSooga> (The Gnolls are a DN5 Target, carrying looted dwarf axes and wearing dwarf armour as best they can, for larger beasts)
    <KuletTheRed> (I hit, whoo I'm done)
    <GMSooga> Kulet's bolt hits one of the Gnolls, which barks out in pain, growling as it turns its gaze to look at Kulet. The other three doing the same.
    <GMSooga> (3 damage -1 from its armour)
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "Get away from her, you BITCH!"
    <McGuff_luc> Hearing the bolt being fires, McGuff readies himself by pulling out his axe. As he steps back from the door he casts Magic Shield
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for McGuff_luc [1d6]: 4> Magic Shield
    <McGuff_luc> (I'm done)
    <GMSooga> a magical barrier shimmers around McGuff
    * GMSooga gives voice to AmbroseTheAstute KuletTheRed McGuff_luc
    * GMSooga gives voice to Mordin_Farsighted TruckTheRobust
    * Mordin_Farsighted decides to finish what Kulet started. He plants a crossbow bolt neatly into the retina of the gnoll she shot,
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for Mordin_Farsighted [1d6]: 5> + 8 +1
    <GMSooga> the bolt hits, finishing off the Gnoll, whining as it falls to the ground
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for TruckTheRobust [1d6]: 2> +5 to whack a gnoll!
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for GMSooga [1d6]: 5> +3
    <TruckTheRobust> "Get outta tha way, lass!" Truck charges past Kulet, roughly shoving her aside, as he charges after the nearest of the gnolls, swinging his axe wildly!
    <GMSooga> the Gnoll sees Truck coming and slashes its sword across him
    <GMSooga> (2 Damage to you, Truck)
    <GMSooga> (oh right, Gnolltime)
    <GMSooga> the Gnoll that just slashed Truck makes another slash for him
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for GMSooga [1d6]: 3> +3
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for TruckTheRobust [1d6]: 6> defensive melee +5
    <GMSooga> you hit the Gnoll with a crushing blow (crit!), splitting it at the waist in a single cleave
    <GMSooga> the remaining two Gnolls see this and bark out in alarm before charging over to surround Kulet
    <GMSooga> the first brings an axe down towards her
    <GMSooga> (-1 melee on your roll, Kulet)
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for GMSooga [1d6]: 2> +3 Gnoll Attack
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for KuletTheRed [1d6]: 3> -1
    <GMSooga> The Gnoll buries its axe in you and you feel darkness overcome you
    <GMSooga> (Pack Attack: A Beastman deals an extra point of Damage when he hits an opponent surrounded by one or more Beastmen)
    <GMSooga> (4 Damage, your Body is 3, nighty night)
    <GMSooga> Kulet slumps to the ground, bleeding slowly
    <TruckTheRobust> Truck roars out in anger, even as he cleaves one of the beasts in twain. "I'm comin' for ye, lass!"
    * KuletTheRed makes no response.
    <GMSooga> the final gnoll barks in amusement
    <GMSooga> and turns to Mordin
    <GMSooga> throwing its axe at him
    <GMSooga> (Mordin is a DN5 Target, which is default for humanoids)
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for GMSooga [1d6]: 5> Gnoll Axe Throw
    <McGuff_luc> (Ahem, dwarfoid)
    <GMSooga> the axe thunks into Mordin's neck
    <GMSooga> (2 damage)
    <GMSooga> (sorry, 1 Damage)
    <GMSooga> (I'm done!)
    <GMSooga> (Ambrose your go)
    <AmbroseTheAstute> Ambrose pouts his lip. That poor lassie. Rearing back his fist, a lance of pure, unadulterated energy forms in his hand, which Ambrose proceeds to hurl and the nearest gnoll.
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for AmbroseTheAstute [1d6]: 6> ArcaneBlast [Mind 8]
    <GMSooga> (the one attacking Truck, the one attacking Mordin or the one standing over Kulet?)
    <AmbroseTheAstute> ((Mind 8 ))
    <AmbroseTheAstute> Over Klet))
    <GMSooga> (ok, the spell casts, now make a shooting attack, DN5)
    <TruckTheRobust> (I thought the one attack Truck was dead.)
    <GMSooga> (oh, it is)
    <GMSooga> (my mistake)
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for AmbroseTheAstute [1d6]: 1> +5 Shooting
    <GMSooga> (just two left)
    <GMSooga> the ball of energy slams into the pile of broken wagon, sending wood and dwarf flying across the hall
    <AmbroseTheAstute> (done)
    <GMSooga> (your go McGuff)
    <McGuff_luc> ( GMSooga My action relies on you answering the bit I asked on oocdwarf)
    <GMSooga> (done)
    <McGuff_luc> As his magical shield fizzles, McGuff is going to attempt to use the fact the gnoll is off guard and attack him from behind
    <GMSooga> which Gnoll?
    <McGuff_luc> Hmm
    <GMSooga> one standing over Kulet and one eyeing up Mordin
    <McGuff_luc> There's an axe on the floor next to Mordin, correct?
    <GMSooga> yeah
    <Mordin_Farsighted> I thought it was in my neck.
    <GMSooga> a throwing axe anyhow
    <KuletTheRed> You shook it loose.
    <KuletTheRed> (whoops, thought this was ooc)
    * McGuff_luc casts invisible hands, sliding an axe from the debris along the floor, tuning it 90 degrees, and planting the blade deeply within the gnolls groin by attacking upward before ducking back behind the door
    <McGuff_luc> (That OK?)
    <GMSooga> (that'll be a melee attack)
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for GMSooga [1d6]: 4> +3 Gnoll Melee
    <McGuff_luc> (and a cast of invisible hands? or just melee?)
    <GMSooga> (ah yes, cast first)
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for McGuff_luc [1d6]: 5> Invisible Hands
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for McGuff_luc [1d6]: 4> +5 Melee
    <McGuff_luc> *+4 melee
    <GMSooga> the axe buries itself in the Gnoll, which barks out in pain
    <McGuff_luc> (Gnolls groin)
    <McGuff_luc> (I'm done)
    <Mordin_Farsighted> No question. Mordin wipes blood off his neck in outrage, then looks for some goddamn retribution around here. That *&=)/& gnoll is going down.
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for Mordin_Farsighted [1d6]: 6> + 8 Shooting + 1 Supreme And Utter God of Crossbowing Lesser Races
    <GMSooga> the Bolt hits the Gnoll, which flails backwards into the pile of rubble, squirming before stopping suddenly
    <Mordin_Farsighted> And it got it in a particularly lethal yet painful place to be shot, too! The bastard!
    <GMSooga> the final Gnoll, wounded from the axe, continues to bark out in alarm
    * McGuff_luc shouts "Get Out Here!"
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for TruckTheRobust [1d6]: 5> it is killing time +5
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for GMSooga [1d6]: 5> +3 Gnoll
    * TruckTheRobust turns and charges for the remaining gnoll, his axe held low and ready for a single wide, sweeping slice!
    <GMSooga> Truck's axe cleaves the Gnoll like a piece of meat
    <GMSooga> falling to the ground in two
    <GMSooga> that's the last of the Gnolls finished, but give me some Awareness rolls
    * McGuff_luc howls. "Help Me Close the Door! Close the Door!"
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for McGuff_luc [1d6]: 4> +1 Awareness
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for TruckTheRobust [1d6]: 6> awareness +1
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for Mordin_Farsighted [1d6]: 3> + 5 Awareness
    <McGuff_luc> (That's all of us, Kulet can't)
    <GMSooga> ah yes, Kulet
    <KuletTheRed> (*whistles*)
    <TruckTheRobust> "Do you lads hear that," Truck asks.
    <Mordin_Farsighted> "Movement!" Mordid croaks, his voice not yet returned to normalcy from that axe.
    <GMSooga> worth noting that there are wooden doors to the left and right of this enterance hall
    <GMSooga> and larger, stone doors straight ahead
    * McGuff_luc is still outside
    <GMSooga> (waiting on your action, guys)
    * AmbroseTheAstute follows with the group, and heads to tend to Kulet.
    <McGuff_luc> "IF YOU HEAR SOMETHING, GET OUT HERE, HELP ME CLOSE THIS DOOR. WE CAN"T LEAVE KULET LIKE THIS!!!"
    <TruckTheRobust> "Ye lads help Kulet," Truck suggests. "I'll see tae it that nothin' comes through 'ese doors tae 'urt yas."
    <McGuff_luc> "Get out here first Truck, we barricade the door."
    <GMSooga> you all hear the noises now, sounding louder than before
    * TruckTheRobust ignores the cowardly imperative!
    <AmbroseTheAstute> "Hold her still..." he murmurs, casting Healing Word on the fallen dwarf.
    <McGuff_luc> (Presence roll methinks - commanding them to use the door as a barricade)
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for AmbroseTheAstute [1d6]: 1> Mind:8
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for KuletTheRed [1d6]: 5> <3
    <GMSooga> Kulet sputters, regaining her Breath
    <GMSooga> but still unable to stand
    <KuletTheRed> Kulet's consciousness is made obvious as she gasps for air and then immediately begins to rapidly speak: "Our Ancestors were there, and though my accomplishments were worthy, something had disappointed them. My greatest work is yet to be complete, my seat vacant." She continues to mutter, though her words becoming unintelligible whispers.
    <GMSooga> the door bursts open as two huge Gnolls step into the room, massive greataxes in their clawed hands and drool pooling on the floor beneath them
    <GMSooga> their eyes look down to Truck, standing in their way
    <McGuff_luc> Initiative order?
    <GMSooga> action's on Truck
    <TruckTheRobust> Truck seeks to destroy the foul beasts who plague this place of temporary healing!
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for TruckTheRobust [1d6]: 1> +4 to whack a gnoll
    <GMSooga> (whiff)
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for GMSooga [1d6]: 4> +3
    <GMSooga> the huge Gnoll cleaves into you with his axe
    <GMSooga> (3 Damage to you)
    <GMSooga> (Gnoll Turn)
    <GMSooga> The Huge Gnoll on the right chops downwards at Truck
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for GMSooga [1d6]: 1> +3
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for TruckTheRobust [1d6]: 3> counter +4
    <GMSooga> your axe hacks into the huge Gnoll, which pushes it away in anger, not that bothered by the blood spurting from the wound
    <GMSooga> the second Gnoll tries his luck with another chop
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for GMSooga [1d6]: 1> +3
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for TruckTheRobust [1d6]: 6> +4
    <GMSooga> another blow from Truck cleaves into the huge Gnoll, this one not acting so tough and barking out in anger
    <GMSooga> (Ambrose, on you)
    * AmbroseTheAstute casts Arcane Blast at one of the beasts attacking Truck.
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for AmbroseTheAstute [1d6]: 5> Mind: 8
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for AmbroseTheAstute [1d6]: 5> +5 Shooting
    <GMSooga> the blast of arcane energy hits the Gnoll, which flies back through the door behind it, leaving a smoking corpse
    <KuletTheRed> Kulet's eyes fade in and out of focusing on random objects as she continues to mutter quietly. The words, 'cut', 'work', 'bone', 'ancestors', 'death', 'red', and 'child' can faintly be made out in the din of battle.
    <AmbroseTheAstute> (done)
    <KuletTheRed> (done also)
    * McGuff_luc charges at the gnoll
    <McGuff_luc> The one still standing of course
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for McGuff_luc [1d6]: 2> +4 melee
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for GMSooga [1d6]: 4> +3
    <GMSooga> (oh wait, it gets -1 Melee for fighting you and Truck at the same time)
    <GMSooga> McGuff cuts the Gnoll down with a swing of his axe
    <GMSooga> and again, all is quiet
    <KuletTheRed> except for the persistent monotone unending muttering.
    <KuletTheRed> Almost like a chant.
    * McGuff_luc goes to attend to KuletTheRed
    <McGuff_luc> "We should make sure we're at full strength before we continue. There may be more inside, we can't be a dwarf down."
    <KuletTheRed> Kulet's voice slowly begin to trail off as she painfully manages to sit up.
    <McGuff_luc> "Barricade the main door, Mordin keep an eye/ear out for anything that may be coming from inside. Ambrose help me get Kulet up and running."
    <GMSooga> (ok I'll have a Craft roll from whoever's barricading, Awareness from the lookout)
    <KuletTheRed> "That gnoll's blow should have ended me, but there are Those wouldn't let me die. I should be glad."
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for TruckTheRobust [1d6]: 1> craft +3
    <GMSooga> Truck makes a pretty crappy barricade for each door, but it looks like it would do the job
    <GMSooga> at least slow down any intruders
    <TruckTheRobust> Truck's ideas regarding barricades are 'Let me stand in front of it.'
    <GMSooga> you take the time to get some rest (everyone heal 1 Damage and recover 1 fizzled spell)
    <KuletTheRed> ((pushes her spleen back inside))
    <GMSooga> (truck has 2 damage on him now)
    <GMSooga> (Kulet has 2 as well)
    <GMSooga> (if you want any more rest it'll be an all-night job)
    <GMSooga> (but heals you completely)
    <KuletTheRed> Eventually Kulet lifts herself up off the ground and staggers slightly. "Lets go ahead and reinforce these doors. Whatever is still in there is not something I'd like to encounter again until we're ready." She begins searching for a way to strengthen the doors.
    <McGuff_luc> "Ambrose, can you help Kulet out?"
    <GMSooga> Ambrose does his best to heal Kulet...
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for GMSooga [1d6]: 2>
    <GMSooga> healing him fully
    <TruckTheRobust> "It's already done, lass. Nothin' is gettin' through these doors." Truck eyes his poorly constructed barricades with obvious pride.
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for KuletTheRed [1d6]: 6> +8 craft
    <GMSooga> then does the same for Truck
    -RPGServ/#dwarf- <Roll for GMSooga [1d6]: 6>
    <GMSooga> healing Truck fully too
    <GMSooga> aaand that's where we call it a night tonight
    <GMSooga> you're barricaded securely in that room and at full resources

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Right, those who played last night gave me some really useful feedback on the system. This morning I quickly played with a few ideas and have gotten to an idea I might implement. I wouldn't have this affect existing characters, as it would pretty much require some to be built from scratch.

As it stands Mind is a bit of a useless stat, survivability scales a bit stangely between characters and Shooting needs a little work.

Mind
    As it stands, Mind is used for determining the power of some spells you cast as well as resisting some. Basically, if you're a Wizard it's awesome and for everyone else it sucks. It's dump stat city for anyone wanting to create a non-casting character. Other people wanting their character to not be a dunce put a few points into it and then feel cheated, as it's of no real use.

So I'm thinking we can do without it.

Originally there was a "Magic" skill that was used for such things, but that got dropped for not feeling right. I'd say the current uses of Mind could be mapped onto Knowledge with a little tweaking. Afterall, the two are pretty closely linked and even a non-caster has use for Knowledge as it stands. The other use of Mind was for things like strength of will but really none of that has come up and frankly, I don't know if you need a stat for that sort of thing in this game.

So Knowledge will now be used to power some Spells and Mind is dumped.

Survivability
    Now there is just one Stat, Body, I'm going to re-classify the 7 skills as stats so we're left with 8 stats and no skills. Just for simplicity of wording.

Now whenever you spend a perk you'll gain +1 Body as a bonus, so we shouldn't end up with Body 2 characters adventuring with Body 18 tanks. Hey, adventuring is a good workout.

Shooting
    Urgh. I'm still thinking this one over in my head. Current ideas include...

- Shooter makes a Shooting Roll vs Grace Roll of opponent. Something about this still doesn't feel right to me but it would certainly be simpler and give Grace some more use. Someone suggested this again last night but I forget who. Shields would probably work in as a flat bonus to this or could even use Melee somehow (Shields allow you to use Melee instead of Grace to avoid fire? Hmmmmm)

Ok, as I type that I realise I have no more ideas and I do quite like that. Will give it some more thought.

Other Changes
    Thinking of changing the "standard array" to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 instead of 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 partially because it feels like a more elegant spread of numbers and secondly because I do like the idea of a tighter spread of ability amongst starting characters.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Oh, and I'm also eyeing Presence, which is looking more and more like a dumpstat...

Yeah. I'm killing Presence. Rest assured I'm keeping a copy of the system as it was, so if these changes kill the game I can revert.

Okay. The major changes are completed. Those who want the old version can still find it here. I'm provisionally very happy with the changes, though. Particularly shooting feels much nicer now (but might be harder on you shooty guys, sorry!)

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Why was presence no good? It seemed pretty useful, but, is the game just too dungeon-crawly to have much social interaction?

I thought maybe presence could be used as the defensive stat against things that the other stats don't make sense for. Such as resisting mind control, overcoming a fear aura and other spells. Maybe also for intimidating weaker monsters and minions and stuff. Maybe make it so someone could use their presence to inspire their party for a small combat bonus or to snap a team mate out of a fear state or mind control, that way all players don't need high presence but having a charismatic person in the party would be nice.

Just idle musing on my part, seeing as I'm not actually playing.

I like the shooting changes personally, and the changes to shields, specifically the ability to use melee instead of grace. To be honest they didn't seem very useful before.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It didn't feel right as it can lead to confusion about when to roll and when to speak to an NPC. I made the decision to make it all talk, but have the GM consider such things as a high Knowledge character knowing social ettiquette for foreign regions and a high Body character being physically imposing. This will go in a social section I'm yet to write. It's the same problem that Cha has in D&D where all too often you end up with one "face" character that gets to do all the social stuff but suffers outside of such situations.

Presence including Willpower was an idea that was thrown around in my head, but it still didn't feel right to me. The fact is the vast majority of monsters aren't going to be attacking your mind and so it's a little too tempting as a dump stat.

In terms of inspirational characters like a D&D Bard I'd reccomend taking a few of the appropriate spells, such as Guidance. More spells like this on the list is something I'm working on as I type.

As for things like Fear and Mind Control mechanics, I think they can be dangerous territory. I prefer to invoke fear through making the players actually scared for their characters. Overall I'd rather just deal with special cases like Psionic monsters in the monster's ability rather than on the character's side.

Feedback appreciated, of course!

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Short notice but I'm running this as an intro game for an RPG newbie tonight in #dwarf on irc.magicstar.net at 7pm-ish. That's just over 90 minutes from this post. Got one slot free only but if anyone wants in I'd welcome them with goblin swords stabbing at them.

This will be unrelated to last night's game and completely non-canon.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Did you notice the second thread that neffffffff made asking if there was enough interest for him to start his own game, Inquisitor? You should get in on that.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Are spells one-time use? Or can you continue using a spell until you roll a 1?

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You can keep casting as long as you don't roll a 1.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You have created an awesome system here SUGA. I'm definitely going to have to check out neffffffff's thread.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Super delayed, but I figured I'd finally give the session a brief writeup rather than force people to face the walls of text from the channel log.
    To clarify, I'd like to continue it at some point, but my schedule's taken a bit of a turn for the worse at the moment.

Dwarfs in a Sandbox - Session 1

As the sun rose of the orange-tinted mountains of the Hamur Valley, home of the minerdwarfs, our heroes sat outside a small outpost eating a meager breakfast. The road stretched East and West from Vilstun Outpost, formerly a busy resting-stop for those travelling to and from the nearby mine, Minkrak.

After finishing their meals, the dwarfs returned their plates to Greasy Halby, the worryingly thin cook making up half of the outpost staff, and headed to the store to visit Ragnar the Fat. The state of the store reaffirmed the status of the outpost, a sinking ship. Ragnar was in surprisingly good spirits, despite not having anything of any value to sell. He told the heroes of how the latest supply wagon to visit Minkrak hadn't returned after several days. The adventurers were concerned about the potential loss of dwarf lives, gold and booze.

Finishing up their business at the outpost, having a table-stomping arguement about digging in the process, the group headed West towards Minkrak, in hope of getting to the bottom of the missing wagon.

On their travels Mordin Farsighted lived up to his name, spotting some Goblins crawling over the horizon, bows readied. Trukk, McGuff and Ambrose sprinted towards the greenskins, with Kulet and Mordin standing back and each piercing a goblin's skull with their crossbows. Goblin arrows whizzed past the dwarfs as they charged, McGuff chopping down a foul greenskin. Things took a turn for the worse, with Trukk's first blow whiffing clumsily over the Goblin's head, who stuck a knife in his gut as payback. The second goblin followed suit and attempted to surround the stout warrior. This wasn't a good plan and both Goblins soon found themselves cleaven in two by Trukk's Greataxe. Ambrose the Astute cast a sweep of his staff and a blinding light seared the remaining Goblins to death.

Kulet's puppy enjoyed feeding on the goblin flesh almost as much as the dwarfs enjoyed raiding the bodies for stolen gold and treasures. After a short rest they continued towards Minkrak, arriving at the impressive stone doors just before midday.

No sooner had the adventurers opened these doors than they were set upon by savage Gnolls, in the middle of scavenging from what appeared to be the bloody remains of a dwarf supply wagon. The entry hall of Mikrark was turned into a battlefield as axe met dog-furred flesh and savage teeth bit at the dwarfs. McGuff used his arcane talent to pluck an axe out of the ground some feet away from him and fling it upwards into a Gnoll, killing it by an invisible hand. Kulet found herself suddenly surrounded by the feral beasts, leaping upon her like wild dogs and tearing at her. When the remaining dwarfs managed to kill the beasts Kulet was already down in a pool of blood.

No sooner had Ambrose managed to tend to her wounds with his magic than two huge, overgown Gnolls kicked in a door leading into the hall, these two brandishing looted dwarfish greataxes, a great insult to every dwarf present. These hulking beastman took several axes to their bodies before Ambrose charred one with an Arcane Blast, McGuff finishing off the other.

The entry hall cleared, the group went about barricading themselves in so they could tend to their wounds fully and recover their Strength.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    glorious

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So you planning on running your game neffffff or can we give up on that one happening?

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Never!

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    Ultros64Ultros64 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I say we go play with ourselves!

And I mean that in every possible way.

Ultros64 on
    It doesn't matter what I say, as long as I sing with inflection
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    On a related note, I'm at the point where I'm eager for other GMs to run the game now, so I can get some feedback on how it handles from their side.

Info here.

Also Nefffff should run the game ASAP. He has my awesome prep documents to use so he can't use prep time as an excuse ;)

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    If I don't make it, somebody make sure my puppy feasts on the meal of my assailant.

piL on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    On a related note, I'm at the point where I'm eager for other GMs to run the game now, so I can get some feedback on how it handles from their side.

Info here.

Also Nefffff should run the game ASAP. He has my awesome prep documents to use so he can't use prep time as an excuse ;)

I don't care who runs it so long as its not me, i want to play my vicious misanthropic dwarf rogue.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yes I am, I'm sorry it's been taking so long. I've been having computer problems that are almost all resolved, and then tomorrow I am going out of town for four days. So there are some delays, but fear not. Dwarves will adventure again.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You'd better!

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    For those interested I could run a session on Thursday evening any time from 7pm-Midnight GMT. This could continue from last time or be a fresh group, depending on who's interested.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    Ultros64Ultros64 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    For those interested I could run a session on Thursday evening any time from 7pm-Midnight GMT. This could continue from last time or be a fresh group, depending on who's interested.

I'd be very interested.

Ultros64 on
    It doesn't matter what I say, as long as I sing with inflection
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ultros64 wrote: »

I'd be very interested.
    Well, you know where to find me in the IRC channel, which is generally the best place for contacting me. I think this time I'd prefer a smaller group, no larger than 4, so I think a fresh start might be best.

I'm happy to stick with all-dwarf or anything else that meshes as a group theme. I do have a zombie-survival scenario awaiting victims if people would rather try that.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Which IRC channel would this be? Because i'd be interest.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm usually around on magicstar.irc.net in #rpgnet and #rpg_design

SUPERSUGA on