As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EvE] It's slightly less boring than discussing politics

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Aight, I reactivated my account. On Monday I'm going to apply to get readded to Merch. My main character was in Merch and my older character was in Merch and the Fleshreapers. I've forgotten almost everything I learned about the game except basic stuff so just pretend I'm a newbie.

Also give me lots of cash 'cuz I only got a million in the bank and I never played long enough to learn how to make money on my own (I kept dropping my subscription).

I got an armor tanked Thorax filled with juicy drones fitted for close combat. Also have an Incursus, Mauler and an Iteron IV. I'll bring at least the Thorax 'cuz shits expensive.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Okay, reactivated and was pleasantly surprised to find 45mil still in my account. I also have all the prerequisites to start training exhumers.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Get your own money, I work very hard staring at fake spacerocks for hours...

JediNight on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll take your damn money out of your cold frozen corpse hand.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'll take your damn money out of your cold frozen corpse hand.

It'll probably be in his cold frozen exotic dancers corpse hand (probably a cold frozen homeless man's corpse hand.)

Brian on
  • Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wavechaser wrote: »

Kestrel doesn't look like it has any gun (turret) slots. Plus I just blew 190k on a ship, a little hesitant to blow another 300k.

It doesn't, it runs with missile launchers. I found that to be far easier for missioning. If you are, however, joining merchI - then it doesn't matter. Get the rakk grant and train tackling and salvaging.

Teslan26 on
  • Options
    syonachsyonach Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm a total noob to mmo's and after shopping around I'm thinking about getting eve ( sort of vaguely reminds me of elite ) my missus does the final fantasy thing, my son has wow. both not what I'm looking for.
    but after reading all this.. is it as complicated as it sounds? or is it just that I don't have a context for all the clone/industrial/corp/selfdestruct talk??

syonach on
    Bad decisions make good stories
  • Options
    BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    syonach wrote: »
    I'm a total noob to mmo's and after shopping around I'm thinking about getting eve ( sort of vaguely reminds me of elite ) my missus does the final fantasy thing, my son has wow. both not what I'm looking for.
    but after reading all this.. is it as complicated as it sounds? or is it just that I don't have a context for all the clone/industrial/corp/selfdestruct talk??
    LearningCurve.jpg

Brian on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    awesome I'm now downloading going to do a trial see if its frustrating enough..

syonach on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sent in an application for MerchI as well. Used to run with you guys years ago but I made a new character this time as my old one was sort of a mess attributes and skills wise.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I started doing the mining missions since at this point i don't have much else to do.

I have a mission that requires me to get my hands on pyrite and mexallon in order to craft some blueprints. Where in the heck do I find this stuff? Someone said "0.7" space, but I have no idea how to, for example, find the nearest 0.7 system. When I went to the map and started randomly clicking locations to find a 0.7 area, the closest thing I could find was like 8 jumps away.

There has to be a better way... right?

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There is a window when on the map, which has display options. There should be a button to select 'Display by Security Status' or some such. Then you mouse over any that are green. Blue/Very Light Green are 0.8-1.0 so ignore them. Yellow is 0.5, orange is 0.4-0.1 and red is 0.0 so all of those can be ignored too.

Also, Pyerite and Mexallon are cheap. Super cheap. If i remember correctly, you only need a few hundred/thousand each. Best to buy them from a single system close to the agent. Should cost more than a few dozen thousand at most.

Euphoriac on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I started doing the mining missions since at this point i don't have much else to do.

I have a mission that requires me to get my hands on pyrite and mexallon in order to craft some blueprints. Where in the heck do I find this stuff? Someone said "0.7" space, but I have no idea how to, for example, find the nearest 0.7 system. When I went to the map and started randomly clicking locations to find a 0.7 area, the closest thing I could find was like 8 jumps away.

There has to be a better way... right?

you need to rethink your limit on how far you want to travel. 8 jumps is nothing. if you use your overview and warp to 0, 8 jumps will take you maybe a minute. tops.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    you need to rethink your limit on how far you want to travel. 8 jumps is nothing. if you use your overview and warp to 0, 8 jumps will take you maybe a minute. tops.

More like 5-10 minutes.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Put my app in with MerchI last night.

Hope it gets processed today... being alone in space is so... lonely D:

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    ToneLoc777ToneLoc777 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This is old, but I think still relevant enough to help those with no prior EvE knowledge who are curious:

http://www.destructoid.com/eve-the-unforgiving-a-basic-understanding-of-ccp-s-masterpiece-127961.phtml

ToneLoc777 on
    ToneLoc777.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Midshipman wrote: »

More like 5-10 minutes.

Yeah it takes me 5-10 minutes, in map view or in normal view.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Do I need to quit the starter corp before MerchI can take my application? And if so, how do I quit the starter corp?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ToneLoc777ToneLoc777 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Do I need to quit the starter corp before MerchI can take my application? And if so, how do I quit the starter corp?

Nope, you don't have to quit the starter / npc corps. I'm not even sure you can actually quit a corp if it isn't a player run corp.

ToneLoc777 on
    ToneLoc777.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Put my app in with MerchI last night.

Hope it gets processed today... being alone in space is so... lonely D:

I dunno, I submitted my app a couple days ago and haven't heard anything.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    ValVal Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Our HR bitch is in the middle of moving to portland, so it might take a few days/months/years for him to process your apps.

Val on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Any ideas on what to do in the meantime to keep ourselves pre-occupied? Currently working on finishing the epic arc thinger out in Arnon, but after that not really sure what to do.

Any goals I should work on in the meantime to help smooth the transition to the corp? Any skills I should grab with all my downtime?

Oh yeah, hey what are some good programs to download for Eve? I heard there was a skill program that automatically plotted your training and stuff for you which sounds awesome.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    ValVal Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The skill program is EVEmon you can get it here, http://evemon.battleclinic.com/ EFT is a ship fitting program and you can get it here http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=548883/ .

Val on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Alright, fuck it.. I'm going to reactivate.
    it's a fucking sickness

truth.

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Not sure what I did wrong here.

Went and spent 200,000 isk on a Rifter, spent another 200,000 outfitting it with all kinds of shit.

Go out on a mission called "Lair of the Snakes", and literally get 3 shotted by 4 guys at once.

Yeah, that was fun.

Not sure what i'm supposed to do now. No ship, and even if I did have one, there's no way I can survive that mission.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    got it. need better weapons spending an eternity reducing druglabs to space dust is boring..

syonach on
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Midshipman wrote: »

More like 5-10 minutes.

Yeah it takes me 5-10 minutes, in map view or in normal view.

stop using auto pilot, instead warp to zero the entire time.

Ethea on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Went and spent 200,000 isk on a Rifter, spent another 200,000 outfitting it with all kinds of shit.

Go out on a mission called "Lair of the Snakes", and literally get 3 shotted by 4 guys at once.

Yeah, that was fun.

Not sure what i'm supposed to do now. No ship, and even if I did have one, there's no way I can survive that mission.

What kind of damage type were the NPC's doing?

This is a really important thing to know before ratting, or running a mission. All weapons and npc's do different types of damage and it's critical to know what to tank, and what to deal.

Ex. MerchI lives in blood raider space. Bloods are based off of the amarr ships and do Em/Thermal damage, and are weak against Em/Thermal too. So you tank the same type that you are dealing in this case. It also means for the most part, armor tanking is the easier choice for defense as armor is strong against em/therm, while shields are strong against expl/kin.

A general rule of thumb is that the whatever space you are living in, that race's ships are designed to deal the proper damage and tank the proper damage of the rats living there. Ie: Caldari/Gallanete - mostly kin/therm, Amarr - em/therm, Minmatar - everything.

There are exceptions to this, you'll find especially as you go up in mission difficulty you'll have to tank every type of damage and deal a changing type each room.

Resources such as Eve Mission Guides or EveInfo will help you know what to expect when you take a mission. Since it looks like you're on an epic arc, it might take some more hunting down to get all the info as players are still putting together guides for them.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I'm downloading now (doing the 21 day Steam trial and joining the Deepcrows) and I'm thinking about what I want to do in the future. I'm thinking stealth bomber. Sounds fun.

But there are so many choices!

So thinking long-term, which race has the best ships for stealth-bombing? What route (mining, ratting, whatever) would be the most profitable or most efficient to get there the quickest? I've heard Caldari or Gallente are good for beginners.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    So I'm downloading now (doing the 21 day Steam trial and joining the Deepcrows) and I'm thinking about what I want to do in the future. I'm thinking stealth bomber. Sounds fun.

But there are so many choices!

So thinking long-term, which race has the best ships for stealth-bombing? What route (mining, ratting, whatever) would be the most profitable or most efficient to get there the quickest? I've heard Caldari or Gallente are good for beginners.

Stealth bomber is a pretty skill intensive ship if my memory serves. You should probably set short term goals along the way so you don't get bored waiting to be able to fly a stealth bomber.

I assume that your interest in EVE lies in the combat, so, I think your first goal should be able to fly a decent tackling frigate. In the recruitment EVE thread in G&T there should be a link to a goonswarm guide about what skills you should gun to tackle.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Yeah, that was fun.

As I remember from long ago, some of those missions need a lot of kiting to survive and just diving in them whole-hog gets you blown up. Actually a lot of the frigate-sized missions I seem to remember being tougher than the cruiser ones.

Are you on a trial account? What's your character name?

Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • Options
    BoatmurderedBoatmurdered Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Damn, I totally missed that you had to have an active PA account to join Merch. Weak sauce.

I've been reading the comics since '02, and until a couple years ago I never knew this place had a forum. =/

Oh well, I'm going to join Eve-Uni and re-apply in 90 days.

Boatmurdered on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Damn, I totally missed that you had to have an active PA account to join Merch. Weak sauce.

I've been reading the comics since '02, and until a couple years ago I never knew this place had a forum. =/

I believe this is precisely the reason Deepcrows was created so you might look into that.

Just Some Dude on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Yeah, that was fun.

As I remember from long ago, some of those missions need a lot of kiting to survive and just diving in them whole-hog gets you blown up. Actually a lot of the frigate-sized missions I seem to remember being tougher than the cruiser ones.

Are you on a trial account? What's your character name?

Yeah, I'm on a trial account right now. Character name is Ender Graiven (I couldn't find any single name available that weren't retarded)

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Avynte wrote: »

Yeah, that was fun.

What kind of damage type were the NPC's doing?

This is a really important thing to know before ratting, or running a mission. All weapons and npc's do different types of damage and it's critical to know what to tank, and what to deal.

Ex. MerchI lives in blood raider space. Bloods are based off of the amarr ships and do Em/Thermal damage, and are weak against Em/Thermal too. So you tank the same type that you are dealing in this case. It also means for the most part, armor tanking is the easier choice for defense as armor is strong against em/therm, while shields are strong against expl/kin.

A general rule of thumb is that the whatever space you are living in, that race's ships are designed to deal the proper damage and tank the proper damage of the rats living there. Ie: Caldari/Gallanete - mostly kin/therm, Amarr - em/therm, Minmatar - everything.

There are exceptions to this, you'll find especially as you go up in mission difficulty you'll have to tank every type of damage and deal a changing type each room.

Resources such as Eve Mission Guides or EveInfo will help you know what to expect when you take a mission. Since it looks like you're on an epic arc, it might take some more hunting down to get all the info as players are still putting together guides for them.

Ugh, that is some confusing shit. So basically i'll need like one frigate from every race in order to be prepared for different missions? o_O

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ugh, that is some confusing shit. So basically i'll need like one frigate from every race in order to be prepared for different missions? o_O

Nah.

Basically you need to figure out what kind of damage the pirates in an area dish out. Once you know that, you need to fit modules to your ship that help you mitigate the type of damage they are dealing.

You are flying caldari yes? This means that generally your ships are going to be based around shield tanking. Therefore, if you know you are fighting enemies that do thermal damage, you should fit your ship with thermal shield hardners and stuff like that.

I've never shield tanked before but, I'm sure people here can give you more concrete advice on how to do it.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    No, what he is saying is you need to be carrying differnt types of ammo to combat certain types of pirates, this wasn't a big issue for me and my mirlin when i was running rail guns and missles. Then again I wasn't ratting in my skill apropriate space wich was prolly around .4 or so before i quit.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited September 2009
    No no, you just need to adjust the tank (and maybe damage type) on your current ship to match. It sounds a lot more complicated than it is.

Edit: Man, double beat'd :(

Just Some Dude on
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I believe this is precisely the reason Deepcrows was created so you might look into that.

Deepcrows has about five active members.
    I joined, didn't see another person online over the course of the entire weekend, so I left.
    Very disappointing; don't bother.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Yeah, that was fun.

You missed rule 1 of EVE: never fly anything you can't afford to lose.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing