As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EvE] It's slightly less boring than discussing politics

• AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Does anyone have a territory map of BoB at their height? I was trying to explain to a friend how awesome it was that BoB got destroyed and a map should help convey just what a big deal it is.

This is one of the closest I could find back from '07.

Before that, BoB was mostly just in delve and afterward they started handing more regions off to their pets.
    070801.png

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thanks for digging that up for me.

Inquisitor on
  • runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They reached their height in June 2007, four months into the great war. They controlled about 40% of 0.0 directly or through vassals at that point.
    070801.png

runaway_pancake on
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They reached their height in June 2007, four months into the great war. They controlled about 40% of 0.0 directly or through [strike]vassals[/strike] pets at that point.
    070801.png

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    and from all of that, they couldn't scrape together a fleet to break a siege on ONE station?

Sokpuppet on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    and from all of that, they couldn't scrape together a fleet to break a siege on ONE station?

Nope.

Pretty sad.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Siege on what station?

JediNight on
  • ValVal Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    PR-

Val on
  • syonachsyonach Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    applied to deepcrows today after 24 jumps in my 'awesome' navitas.
    I've been trough 3 destroyers and 3 tristans now so there are certain places I dont go anywhere near( that sisters quest I just get mobbed by those drones after the jump gate) its cost me over 5 million in ships and stuff.

syonach on
    Bad decisions make good stories
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    syonach wrote: »
    I've been trough 3 destroyers and 3 tristans now so there are certain places I dont go anywhere near( that sisters quest I just get mobbed by those drones after the jump gate) its cost me over 5 million in ships and stuff.
    I've used five million in ammo and drones in a single mission. You'll get used to it eventually and realize that's just the way life is in New Eden. =)

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
    edited September 2009
    hahaha fully sic uleh!!
    I was just annoyed because I only had 4 million

syonach on
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hrm. Was that drone mission you speak of Bringing Down the Hive? Because other than that (haven't dont that one), I didn't have a problem with any of the missions. It may just involve a different setup. Maybe longer-range, and more soak.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • ToneLoc777ToneLoc777 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I highly recommend researching each mission before setting off (unless you like surprises and/or frustration).

The best site for this: [url="http://eve-survival.org/wikka.php?wakka=MissionReports]http://eve-survival.org/wikka.php?wakka=MissionReports[/url]

It will help you know what type of damage ammo to bring and to set up resists against, as well as if it's a mission where you actually have to clear the rats or just "blitz" through to pick something up and warp out.

ToneLoc777 on
    ToneLoc777.png
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There is only one EVE thread, and Deadlysherpa is his prophet.

Brian on
    edited September 2009
    finished that mission now. went back with a cruiser and a heap of my own drones, hahaha
    ended up with a 300000 repair bill. damn this game is addictive

syonach on
  • JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Aren't we supposed to have locked this thread and made a new one at 100 pages? :)

JediNight on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    JediNight wrote: »
    Aren't we supposed to have locked this thread and made a new one at 100 pages? :)

Shut the fuck up, the mods might hear you. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    finished that mission now. went back with a cruiser and a heap of my own drones, hahaha

I'm one day away from finally being able to pilot a gallente cruiser... ummmm, thorax, I believe is the one i'm shooting for?

Once I get this bad boy, what are some recommended skills to train up? I'm really tired of flying the same damn Rifter for weeks on end.

Wavechaser on
  • SelectaSelecta Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wavechaser wrote: »

I'm one day away from finally being able to pilot a gallente cruiser... ummmm, thorax, I believe is the one i'm shooting for?

Once I get this bad boy, what are some recommended skills to train up? I'm really tired of flying the same damn Rifter for weeks on end.

Heh some people have made careers built on flying nothing but rifters.

Selecta on
    MNWGRdm.png
    PSN: Hellcore- Steam MWO: Hellcore
  • Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Spending a week or so training learning and fitting skills is probably a good idea if you haven't done them yet. They're terrible to train first because they're boring, but once you can fly a few fun ships it's probably time.

Fitting skills are things that reduce the amount of CPU/Powergrid/Capacitor use required for ship equipment. Things like Engineering, Mechanic, Hull Upgrades, etc. Having them at 4 or 5 will make fitting ships much, much easier.

Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
    edited September 2009

Spending a week or so training learning and fitting skills is probably a good idea if you haven't done them yet. They're terrible to train first because they're boring, but once you can fly a few fun ships it's probably time.

Fitting skills are things that reduce the amount of CPU/Powergrid/Capacitor use required for ship equipment. Things like Engineering, Mechanic, Hull Upgrades, etc. Having them at 4 or 5 will make fitting ships much, much easier.

Along the same vein, don't forget weapon upgrades.

I remember trying to fit my first thorax and powergrid always seemed to be an issue. Gotta have those pimp blasters, mwd, and web.

It's a shame blasters aren't very practical in 0.0 pvp. I miss hugging faces and dishes out some antimatter love.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Zenitram on
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Zenitram wrote: »

Cool drop. Of course he was in a bomber so he warped off before he knew what had dropped.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What do you mean cool drop? Did he not get blownd up?

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Demiurge wrote: »
    What do you mean cool drop? Did he not get blownd up?

no when you die, everything in your cargo hold and fitted has a 50% chance of being left on the wreck. Cool drops is when you kill somebody and they leave lots of valuable items behind ( +1b ).

Ethea on
  • Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ukiyo e wrote: »
    Cool drop. Of course he was in a bomber so he warped off before he knew what had dropped.

Oh dear God - who scooped it? >_>

Teslan26 on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nnnnngh....

Who the fuck hauls a load like that in a destroyer? Might as well buy one of the unstoppable T3's for stuff that expensive.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    http://killboard.goonfleet.com/km/403419 - let me put mah officer loot in an afterburning destroyer, this plan is foolproof

also, new devblog
    http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=695

tl/dr;
    We implement the following:

* A simple, descriptive sovereignty system
    * A separate mechanism for governing outpost conquest
    * A way to increase the resource density of your space (as well as other cool gubbins)
    * A reduction in the value of moon minerals
    * An upkeep system for the space you hold and develop

We get (hopefully!):

* A more comprehensible, streamlined and robust way of showing who owns a particular system
    * A better conquest experience
    * More organic, meaningful and fun small-fleet combat
    * Less territorial sprawl by major alliances
    * A more diverse and interesting political landscape
    * More opportunities for players to get involved in nullsec
    * More awesome emergent gameplay

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Or, better still, a fucking cov-ops. My god i can't imagine the rage i'd feel at myself for losing all that...

Euphoriac on
    edited September 2009
    Euphoriac wrote: »
    Or, better still, a fucking cov-ops. My god i can't imagine the rage i'd feel at myself for losing all that...

Unless it was someone elses stuff, in which case I'd be far more relaxed.

As for the sov stuff, less space means more people wanting to rat in the same area. As 2 people is about as much as one system happily supports... I'd better come up with a new way to make isk. :p

Teslan26 on
    edited September 2009
    Teslan26 wrote: »
    Euphoriac wrote: »

Unless it was someone elses stuff, in which case I'd be far more relaxed.

As for the sov stuff, less space means more people wanting to rat in the same area. As 2 people is about as much as one system happily supports... I'd better come up with a new way to make isk. :p

if you read the dev blogs, they talked about upgrading the belts / exploration in systems you own. The CSM proposal that was thrown around last year also included allowing alliances to have NPC mission givers in stations.

Ethea on
    edited September 2009
    Even if the latest blog didn't have much by way of substance, if CCP wants to crowd 0.0 with a bunch of mini Tri's and ASCN's, I say go for it.

It's bound to be a lot more fun and have plenty of opportunities for backstabbing, griefing, and spectacular failures than the current situation.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, it would be pretty hard to make 0.0 even worse, I'm really looking forward to re-subbing and playing the shit out of this expansion.

LoneIgadzra on
  • hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    you should come back now to stock up on ships and chill with merchi

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    what time zone are you merchi people in primarily?

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    edited September 2009
    evilthecat wrote: »
    what time zone are you merchi people in primarily?

There is a US bias I think, but corp is in no way empty during euro

Teslan26 on
    edited September 2009
    I'm >>this<< close to switching to 0.0.
    after 9 weeks of hangar camping (yaaaay corp :/ ), no one is freaking online during euro time.
    I'm mining all by myself :(

evilthecat on
    edited September 2009
    evilthecat wrote: »
    I'm >>this<< close to switching to 0.0.
    after 9 weeks of hangar camping (yaaaay corp :/ ), no one is freaking online during euro time.
    I'm mining all by myself :(

please come to delve asap it is a better game experience. Don't worry about being in mrchi, just tell everyone you are dbrb biggest fan and they will let you pass.

Ethea on
    edited September 2009
    you know I might have only been playing eve for 4 months, but even *I* know delve inhabitants have a strict NBSI rule ;)

evilthecat on
  • GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ethea wrote: »
    just tell everyone you are dbrb biggest fan and they will let you pass.

Yeah, do that (USE YOUR IBIS). I'm always a bit leery of advice that amounts to "Fly to X, don't worry about getting shot" when dealing with EVE.
    The CSM proposal that was thrown around last year also included allowing alliances to have NPC mission givers in stations.

Depending on how this works it could vary from awesome to utterly pointless.

The problem with alliances in general is that they are composed of people, and while it's true that all people vary in their degree of moral character, there really tend to be two types of people in alliances: those who's moral character is ambiguous, and those who's moral character is unambiguously sinister. The only alliance that actively tries to police itself and achieve something resembling empire in the wild is CVA.

The PvP players may hate this idea but if you're going to have npc missions issued by alliances, you need to have rep with alliances mean something. Which means at some point it has to confer CONCORD protection, and that it cannot be reset by the alliance on a whim.

This cuts across the direction of where alliances normally go. Having an alliance set your non-combat corp as blue today is frequently impossible (many alliances simply don't because of the tens of thousands of non-combat corps that ask), and even when you pull it off it doesn't necessarily mean anything. Alliances are finicky about their allies, slow to trust, and not above shooting their friends just because they can.

The really ironic thing is that all this paranoia doesn't even really prevent disaster. The vast majority of the crippling disasters alliances endure are wrought by their own members, and frequently their directors.

I think part of the problem is that CCP envisioned alliances being composed of corps focused on controlling individual systems, rather then collectivist societies defined by role specific corps and hemmed in by jump radius from their fleet docks (note how BoB's armada was caught flatfooted at one station while their territory collapsed).

Their behavior as governing entities is more consistent with feudalism; gangs operating from an urban hideout, pirates operating from a fortified isle.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg