As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] Shackled City (Game Thread)

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As soon as Alead pulls the lever, there comes a noise of grating gears and of metal being shoved into place. When he steps onto the pit trap, there is no familiar click of the trap being set off, and neither does the floor collapse. With that said and done, the group manages to pass over the pit trap safely, much to Kreel's happiness.
    I'm going with the assumption, here, that one of you takes the key from the 'J' door.

Passing through the door, the last person removes the key - seconds later, the gears from the doorway grind with a crunching familiarity, and the heavy door rolls back into its locked position.

With that done, they go back the way they had come before, striding with confidence through darkened hallways, stepping over the bodies of mutilated bats, through a held-open doorway, and into the tunnels that lead them straight back to the grand hall of flashing lights.

The hall is quiet as death, as always, with only the ambient burbling of water from the other end breaking what would be an overwhelming silence. If anyone else is in here, they are doing a grand job of making themselves completely unseen.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Alead steps quietly into the room, scanning the shadows for skulking Skulks. He grips his new staff tightly, ready for a fight. He can't make out anything in the rapidly moving and changing shadows.

"Be aware -- keep your eyes open."

Perception: 1d20+4=11

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    StygianSmileyFaceStygianSmileyFace Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kreel follows behind, hands tightening around the haft of his axe as he also searches the shadows.

"Paint. We should have brougth paint."
    Perception Check: [15,9] = (24)

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "I could use a drink," Quinn mutters. Nonetheless, he finds his eyes have begun to adapt to the darkness.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Blublo takes a couple cursory glances to the left and right, following directly behind Alead.
    Perception: 11.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sorry about not being around, guys - my body just didn't want to stay awake beyond 10 o'clock. As a side note, I'm up to Episode 9 of Season 4 in Battlestar - I almost don't want to finish it, so the ending won't be ruined for me.

You step into the room, and there is a moment of darkness - followed by a booming brightness that envelops your entire party, a shining beacon directly above you. You freeze, unsure of what to do, but taking in your entire surroundings. Quinn and Kreel, each masters of perception, look out and notice a few things - cloaks, hitting the floor and just poking out from behind a pillar. A hooked nose slightly within view. The mangy cloak of wolf skin in the distance.

When one of the Skulks steps out and shouts in attack, you are all caught by surprise, aside from those two.

ROLL INITIATIVE!

Kreel:
    As soon as you use your powers of perception, heightened by the headband, something strange happens - you feel a chill run down the back of your neck, all the hairs standing on end. It disappears, quickly, but it seems unusual.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Alead staggers in the sudden light, and claws at his eyes for a moment in shock.
    INIT: 1d20=17

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    "Ah. I was wondering when you'd show up," Quinn grins.

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    "Whoops," is all Blublo Phillippei says at the moment.
    Everyone gets a +2 initiative from me. 1d20+2 → [8,2] = (10) Humph.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Kreel, distracted by the coldness running down his neck, only clumsily raises the greataxe.
    Init Roll: [8,2] = (10)

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Sorry guys, collapsed unconscious last night.

Round 1!

MAP:
    J17-1.jpg

BATTLEFIELD INFORMATION:
    Anyone standing in the dark areas is considered as having Total Concealment.

Attacking into light from a darkened area grants Combat Advantage.

Pillars block LOS and grant Cover.

Vanishing Skulk always counts as having Concealment, even in lit squares.

ENCOUNTER INFORMATION:
    Alead - 22/22HP
    Quinn 27/27HP
    Dark Creeper 1 - 46/46HP, AC 17, F 14, R 16, W 14
    Dark Creeper 2 - 46/46HP, AC 17, F 14, R 16, W 14
    Vanishing Skulk - 38/38HP, AC15, F12, R16, W12
    Kreel - 27/30HP
    Blublo 26/26HP
    Kellus 25/25HP
    Skulk 1 - 32/32HP, AC15, F13, R16, W13
    Skulk 2 - 32/32HP, AC15, F13, R16, W13
    Skulk 3 - 32/32HP, AC15, F13, R16, W13

Next up: Alead!

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Alead bravely moves behind his larger companions. Boldly peeking out from under Kreel's armpit, the Deva daringly lashes out with his power. The power of the sun erupts from his staff, boiling and roiling and scorching the pillar behind which one of the creepers hides.

"Too much boldness by half," mutters Alead.
    Move: F2
    Sun Strike vs Dark Creeper 1: 1d20+4=16. Miss.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    "For Avandra!" Quinn calls, feeling more prepared than he has in years. He darts around the column and swipes at the first monstrosity he sees.
    Move to I5
    Minor: Divine Challenge against Dark Creeper 1
    Attack: Enfeebling Strike (1d20+4=8, 1d10+2=7) And I was rolling so well in the ant game!

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Assaulted by Quinn and nearly blinded by the light, the first Dark Creeper revved up and stabbed out with his dagger, trying to cut the paladin beneath the dark, runed steel of his armour. He succeeds, a spray of blood arcing out from a weak point between the armour's vambrace and gauntlet.

From the dark, there comes a noise of moving feet, and then a knife flashes out of the dakrness and flies past Quinn, coming within an inch of his face before hitting the pillar and falling, impotent, upon the ground.

Then, from the darkness, another sound of moving feet - only this time, the movement keeps going, rocketing forth from the darkness. Nearly invisible, the skulk in his wolf skin coverings leaps forward and swings a rapier down onto Blublo. The powerful blow, however, bounces off the gnome's armour.
    Dark Creeper 1 attacks Quinn - HIT! 5 damage.
    Dark Creeper 2 attacks Quinn - MISS!
    Vanishing Skulk charges Blublo - MISS!

INFORMATION:
    MAP:
    J17-1b.jpg

BATTLEFIELD INFORMATION:

ENCOUNTER INFORMATION:
    Alead 22/22HP
    Quinn 22/27HP
    Kreel - 27/30HP
    Blublo 26/26HP
    Kellus 25/25HP

Next up: Kreel!

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Kreel whips the greataxe above his head, screaming out a challenge as he moves towards the oddly dressed Skulk facing Blublo.
    [6,3] = (9) ... sigh
    Moves to F4

However, being allergic to wolf hair, the Goliath sneezes as he swings the axe and misses his adversary.

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    "I have you now, you cloaked cur!" Blublo shuffles around behind the skulk and gives him a good whallop. At the same time, he covers Alead, allowing the invoker to back away from the shadow creature.
    Wolf Pack on Vanishing Skulk: 1d20+8 → [9,8] = (17); 1d8+3 → [4,3] = (7) HIT, 7 Damage (31HP), Alead shifts to F2 (or another square if he prefers).

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Alead slides away from the Skulk, spinning his staff in a threatening fashion.
    F2 works for me. Sorry about the delay, I was in beautiful Cape Breton this weekend. Also, my current Internet Condition is Yellow. I'll be able to keep up with Alead, but if someone else could run Kellus that'd be awesome.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Kellus cackles madly and claps his hands before his face. A peal of thunder rolls across the underground room, echoing weirdly off of the damp masonry. The recoil from the blast blows the Drow sideways. He glances off of the wall and stands, giggling and staring at his hands.
    Thunder Walk vs. vanishing Skulk: 1d20+4=9
    Shift to E2

I think Kellus should go craaaazy.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    From the darkness, there is more shifting sounds that rattle through the hall. Then, without warning from any source, the bolts come flying out from the darkness - one hits Kellus above the eye, spinning him around and knocking some of the sense out of him. The second flies directly towards Quinn, but bounces off his dusty armour with a delightful "bing" noise.

The third bolt fires at the Avenger, the bolt finding a home in the tender place below his ribs. As Kellus and Kreel shudder from the damage dealt, the lights in the hall drop out - and when they appear, they've moved further down the hall, but one still illuminates the area surrounding Quinn and the Dark Stalker.
    Skulk 1 moves and attacks Kellus - HIT! 7 damage.
    Skulk 2 moves and attacks Quinn - MISS!
    Skulk 3 moves and attacks Kreel - HIT! 10 damage.

The lights have shifted.

INFORMATION:
    MAP:
    J17-2.jpg

BATTLEFIELD INFORMATION:

ENCOUNTER INFORMATION:
    Alead 22/22HP
    Quinn 22/27HP
    Vanishing Skulk - 31/38HP, AC15, F12, R16, W12
    Kreel - 17/30HP
    Blublo 26/26HP
    Kellus 18/25HP

Round 2! You're up, Alead!

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Alead leaps sideways, trying to get a better angle of attack against the creeper who is engaged with Quinn. As he runs, a bolt of liquid fire erupts from his fingertips. It strikes the Dark Creeper in the face, and the creature shrieks and scrabbles at its eyes. In its confusion, it staggers away from the relative safety of the pillar and stands revealed in the center of the light.

"Stay in the shadows! Hit them as they come into the light!" Alead's shout echoes strangely in the cavernous room.
    Alead had earlier shifted to F2 as part of Bilbo's attack.
    Move: To G2
    Standard: Sun Strike vs Creeper 1. 1d20+6=26 CRIT!
    Creeper takes 12+1d8=16 damage and I slide him to I6 so that Quinn can stay up against that pillar as they fight.

Simon, is there anything we can do to fix the lights in here, should we want to?

EDIT: This is the previous damage roll against that Creeper (as requested in the Table Talk thread): 1d8+5=10, 10 extra damage.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    Alead had earlier shifted to F2 as part of Bilbo's attack.
    We have always been at war with Oceania.
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    Simon, is there anything we can do to fix the lights in here, should we want to?
    A very good question. Your earlier Arcana checks made it pretty clear that the magic was old and powerful, but decayed - a bit of prying around the seams of the magic might reveal a way in which to control it.

If anyone with Arcana as a trained skill takes a full round action to roll a DC25 skill check, they'll find a way around the rotting seals on the spell, and manage to take control of the lights, enabling them to control where the lights appear every round.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Quinn lashes out at his target once more. The Lady of Change grips his blade in hand and guides it home, the creeper clutching at its chest.
    Holy Strike vs Our Friend, The Skulk (Mark +2 damage)! 1d20+5=17, 1d10+5=14

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Assuming that Quinn shifted to H6 so he would stay next to the pillar.

Pushed back by twin powers of divinity, the small, cloaked Creeper makes a sudden move on the ground, his hooves clacking slightly as he moves to the south. Then, with a hiss, he strikes forward with his razor-sharp dagger, slipping inbetween Quinn's magical greaves and striking flesh. With the withdrawl of the blade comes a spurt of blood that spatters on the floorstones.

A dagger flies out from the darkness to the west of Quinn, but the pillar protects him once more - the closest that the blade comes to harming him is the annoying ring of dented steel and it smashes into stone and falls down, impotent of any harming velocity.

Blublo cannot smell the musty wolf-skin cloak next to him, anymore.
    Creeper 1 shifts to H7 attacks Quinn - HIT! 8 damage.
    Creeper 2 attacks Quinn - MISS!
    Vanishing Skulk shifts back, and disappears into the darkness.

INFORMATION:
    MAP:
    J17-2a.jpg

BATTLEFIELD INFORMATION:

ENCOUNTER INFORMATION:
    Alead 22/22HP
    Quinn 14/27HP
    Dark Creeper 1 - 6/46HP, AC 17, F 14, R 16, W 14
    Kreel - 17/30HP
    Blublo 26/26HP
    Kellus 18/25HP

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Starting to get a headache from the flashing lights, Kreel adds the stabbing pain to his list of concerns and flips the axe in his hand. Hearing the sounds of battle from Quinn's area and not wanting him to face it alone, the Avenger moves to help the Paladin while swearing out a curse at the Creature that stands there.

"Beast, I shall wipe my arse with your skin!"
    Kreel moves to I7
    Minor Action: Oath of Enmity against Dark Creeper Un

Swinging the axe as he arrives, the Goliath lets out a booming bellow of rage.
    Attack Roll One: [16,3] = (19) vs AC 17, HIT
    No Need for the 2nd roll
    Damage Roll: [2,3] = (5)

The blade bites deep, cutting into the Creeper's side. Leaning close, the Goliath breaths deep as he tugs the weapon free.

"Remember my words, my Queen will ask why you arrive at her side smelling so pleasant!"

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    "I'll finish him off, men!" Blublo skirts the edge of the light and readies his hammer. He skids to a halt and sends the hammer through the air with a thorough chuck. It slams into the skull of the dark fiend and drops him to the floor.
    Move to E7, Minor to draw hammer into main hand (holding sword aside with offhand).
    Basic attack on Creeper 1 with throwing hammer (+2 for attacking from the darkness): 1d20+7 → [10,7] = (17)
    Hurrah! That should be at least 4 damage vs his one HP, so I won't bother rolling unless asked. Too bad i couldn't Wolf-Pack move anyone out of the way beforehand.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    As Blublo finishes off the Creeper, it falls to the ground... then explodes, a viscous black ooze slathering itself all over Quinn and Kreel's faces. This all seems very familiar.
    Dark Creeper 1 dies, activates Immediate Interrupt death power!

Quinn and Kreel are Blinded (save ends).

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Kellus, seeing nothing available for blasting, prepares to deal electric death to any creature foolish enough to reveal itself.
    Kellus delays until after Skulk 3.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Assumed that Kreel moved to I6, so as to avoid an opportunity attack.

A trio of bolts flies out from the darkness, straight towards the blind pair by the pillar. One bolt flies past Kreel's head, hitting absolutely nothing but dead air, but the two other bolts fly and pierce Quinn. A sickening squelch emerges from within Quinn's armour.

With a thud and clank, Quinn hits the floor.

As if to punctuate the situation, the lights disappear, and come back straight away - whether by the luck of Avandra, or the justice of Pelor, or a signal of death's coming from the Spinner of Fates, the lights keep the weaker members of the party in darkness, but illuminate most of their opponents.
    Skulk 1 attacks Kreel - MISS!
    Skulk 2 attacks Quinn - HIT! 10 damage!
    Skulk 3 attacks Quinn - HIT! 9 damage!

INFORMATION:
    MAP:
    J17-2b.jpg

BATTLEFIELD INFORMATION:

ENCOUNTER INFORMATION:
    Alead 22/22HP
    Quinn -4/27HP Blind (save ends)
    Dark Creeper 1 - he just learned how to love
    Vanishing Skulk - 31/38HP, AC15, F12, R16, W12 marked by Blubbers
    Kreel - 17/30HP Blind (save ends)
    Blublo 26/26HP
    Kellus 18/25HP

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hang on, this might be a good opportunity to use my daily. I'll have to check out the rules for it in a second.

EDIT: Aww fuuuck, Skulk 3 dropped Quinn, who is probably not within 4sq and I can't even see him to know where he is. Boo on that.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Kellus groans as his electricity-addled brain begins to stutter and pop in time with the shifting lights. The world heaves and jerks, images leaping to his eyes in bursts with no sense of movement between the still tableaux.

Flash and Blublo stands over the fallen Creeper.

Flash and Kreel is clawing black ooze from his eyes.

Flash and Quinn collapses to the floor.

Flash and a Skulk stands directly in front of Kellus.

The Drow leaps away and as he lands a feeble rumble of thunder echoes through the chamber.

Flash and the Skulk stands uninjured and unimpressed.
    Shift to F2.
    Storm Walk vs Skulk 1: Shift to G3 before attack. 1d20+6=9. MISS. I forgot to add in CA on IC, but it's still a palpable miss.

Also, Alecthar's luck seems to have come bundled with Kellus.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    With that done, Round 2 is over, unless Blubbles wants to use his Daily? Keeping in mind, however, that if the power requires you to move to the target... well, that was impossible at the time, considering the murderin' Skulk was hidden in darkness at the time.

Alead and Quinn's time to shine! Updated map to come in the morning.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Alead moves plants his back firmly against a wall. His anger at Quinn's injuries gnaws at his gut. Translucent knives spring from his fingertips and hum eerily as they hang momentarily in the air before him. With an eerie shrieking sound, they spin across the room, shattering and slicing anything they come into contact with. Blublo's armour is suddenly fortified and strengthened by a layer of razor-sharp energy.

The Creeper next to Blublo shrieks in agony.
    Move: To I3
    Standard: Blades of Astral Fire, square D6.
    I accidentally double-rolled on IC. I'm using the first two rolls, obviously.

Vs Vanishing Skulk 1d20+4=15 MISS
    Vs Creeper 2 1d20+6=18 HIT

Creeper takes 1d6+5=10 damage. Blublo gains +5 to AC until end of my next turn.

Using my Covenant Manifestation, I can slide Kreel into the dark at I5, or put Blublo in contact with both the Creeper and Vanisher. Thoughts?

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'd rather move away from the creepers and help somebody take down those hard-hitting skulks.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Quinn lies on the ground and waits for Avandra to come. To think that I would die here, on an adventure! he marvels to himself.

He waits a little longer, but suddenly feels quite a bit better. He decides to take a little nap for a while. Naps are good.
    Death Saving Throw (+1 from Human Perseverance, which I think I was forgetting to add): 1d20+1=17

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    I'd rather move away from the creepers and help somebody take down those hard-hitting skulks.
    Done. I can only shift you one square, but it's all yours.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    F6 it is, then. I'll probably be moving up to E4 and Wolf-packing with Kellus flanking (or just Brash attack with Alead as backup), though, netting an OA from the skulk.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The standing Creeper, hissing at being blinded by the light and burning blades, flaps its cloak around and moves quickly, all but a dark blur that flits forward and back. Near Kellus's hidden position, it slows down, allowing the Drow to make his own attack against the Creeper - but then it disappears into the darkness by Blublo, and a hand holding a blade lashes out, but Blublo deftly knocks the blade aside.

The transparent skulk, its wolf cloak bobbing with movement, quickly flanks Blublo while he's assaulted by the Creeper, his shining rapier flitting by the gnome's head without any result. Its raw, guttural anger is expressed by a throaty hiss.
    Dark Creeper 2 uses his Dark Step to move to G5 (Kellus can make an opportunity attack with a -4 penalty). Attacks Blublo - MISS!

vanishing Skulk moves to E7 and attacks Blublo - MISS!

INFORMATION:
    MAP:
    J17-3a.jpg

BATTLEFIELD INFORMATION:

ENCOUNTER INFORMATION:
    Alead 22/22HP
    Quinn -4/27HP Blind (save ends)
    Dark Creeper 1 - he just learned how to love
    Dark Creeper 2 - 36/46HP, AC 17, F 14, R 16, W 14
    Vanishing Skulk - 31/38HP, AC15, F12, R16, W12, marked by Blubbers
    Kreel - 17/30HP Blind (save ends)
    Blublo 26/26HP, +5 AC
    Kellus 18/25HP

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Falling to his knees in reaction to the horrid material upon him, Kreel drigs at the now familiar gunk. As he struggles with the blindness, a dark shadow mounts upon his shoulders; almost seeming to grow from the ink laid into his flesh. With a squak of emo-tastic, near empty rage, the shadow flies forth to strike at the nearest Skulk (almost as if from Hell's heart itself)...
    Radiant Vengence against Skulk 2: [12,3,-5] = (10) Vs R16 = MISS

The shadow flies off, apparently distracted by what it thinks is something more interesting in the larger shadows.

Tearing the last of the muck from his eyes, the Avenger slowly stands and looks around the room.

"I hate traps."

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Sorry, got used to not seeing the thread get updated and I got too busy yesterday.

"Boo on you, Quinn! Get back on your feet!" Blublo commands his ally as he runs past the two assailants on either side of him.

"Boo on you too!" He chops at the skulk near the darkened tunnel entrance. All this commotion gives Alead an opening to summon a searing holy light upon the shadowy being.
    Move to D4, Inspiring Word on Quinn, who can now use a surge to heal, plus 1d6 → [4] = (4) HP.
    Brash Assault on skulk1: MISS.

If skulk takes his OA with CA on Blublo, Alead can Sun Strike it with CA: 1d20+8 → [17,8] = (25) , HIT for 10 Damage., slide him to F4 I guess.

Blublo will use Fade Away the next time he's hurt after his move action. So if he gets hit by the skulk's OA or any time before his next turn.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The skulk decides not to assault the Gnight, having learned from the attacks of its comrades that whatever magics were currently protecting the tiny man were too powerful to overcome, for the moment.
    Skulk 1 does not make an OA.

simonwolf on