As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Awww crap.

ArkanArkan Registered User regular
There was an accident just now and

uuhhhhh

My mouse ended up in the toilet. One that had already been... uh... used. Without flushing. And not for pee.

Thankfully it's wireless and the battery popped out before it... uh... landed, so hopefully it hasn't shorted out.

Is there any hope of cleaning out the inside of this thing of water/feces and getting it working again? I'm a bit short on cash atm and would really prefer not to have to buy a new mouse.

Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
Arkan on

• Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would take the hit, honestly.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Why the hell were you playing with a wireless mouse on the john, anyway?

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It'll probably work fine if you let it dry out, but it will probably also smell. If I were you I'd just have flushed.

The question remains: what was your mouse doing that close to an open, full toilet?

You know what? Don't answer that.

Yeah, buy a new mouse.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Nibble wrote: »
    Why the hell were you playing with a wireless mouse on the john, anyway?

Because I usually don't think about this sort of thing happening until it already has, unfortunately.
    Alternately:
    Nibble wrote: »
    Why the hell were you playing with a wireless mouse...

'Playing with a wireless mouse', eh? Is that what the ladies call it these days?:winky:

Arkan on
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

donhonk on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've figured it out. You are recharging the mouse batteries in the bathroom because there are often handy outlets near the sinks. The battery-less mouse is sitting on the counter near the toilet waiting for the recharge. A particularly nasty deuce survives a flushing. Then a cat/accidental bump knocks it in.

But as for what to do: let it dry off. Clean the outside with a sponge/soap and let it dry again. Does it smell like poop? If so, trash it. If not, see if it works.

Most mice are rather difficult to take apart, but if you are sure you could dismantle it and put it back together, you could do so to make the initial drying step go faster, or let you thoroughly wash the non-electrical components.

However, I, personally would just buy a new mouse.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Okay, so all comments about my intelligence or lack thereof (you really don't need to tell me, I feel like a huge moron already) aside, one of my professors (who's an IT veteran, certified, and has over a decade of experience working with computers and tech support-type crap) is telling me opening the mouse, rinsing it with water and then rubbing alcohol (of all things), then leaving it to dry for 2 days will clean it out.

I'll try this and see if it works or not. If it doesn't, I'm buying a new mouse.

Arkan on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There is no possible way that you did this. None. Stop it.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, that sounds about right. In an ideal world, getting electronics wet is not a problem if said device does not have any power coursing through it while wet.

The problems come from corrosion and deposits left behind as the water dries. Rinsing it with water to get the worst of it out, then using isopropyl alcohol to rinse away the water, should get rid of the residue problem. Corrosion can be hit-and-miss, it's mostly a question of how long it stays wet.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Actually, it's quite a simple process:

1. I read stories on the internet about people who do really stupid things with electronics.
    2. I get very smug. "Hah, those people are retards, I would never do something that stupid!"
    3. I stop being cautious about some gadget.
    4. I do something retarded to that gadget, probably less than 5 minutes after thinking "Well I should be careful, but only just in case! I'd never do something as retarded as (whatever)!"
    5. I feel like a retard.

The worst part is that this is the second time I've gone through this process, so apparently I didn't learn my lesson the first time.

And to top it off, I just realized I'm wearing my 'To save time, just assume I know everything' shirt. The irony gods must be laughing at me.

Arkan on
  • Options
    Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You could submerge the mouse components in a bath of isopropyl alcohol. Swish the components around in the bath to get rid of the , ahem, waste particles. Then use a fan to air dry the components. I probably wouldn't submerge the battery or laser unit, but I'd clean their exterior with a q-tip and alcohol. The electronic board should be fine to put in.

Alternatively, you could dry the mouse as best as you can and then put it into a large zip top bag with dry rice. Let that sit in there for 24-48 hours. It should dry it up, but it'll probably still have it's unique odor.

Finally, you could just buy a new mouse. This is probably the best solution. Both suggestions above will not get your mouse sterile. So if you ever eat at your computer you should just buy a new mouse. Since you're using your mouse while on the toilet, I'm guessing you're not too concerned toilet/mouse/food contamination thing.

Ash-Housewares on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Finally, you could just buy a new mouse. This is probably the best solution. Both suggestions above will not get your mouse sterile. So if you ever eat at your computer you should just buy a new mouse. Since you're using your mouse while on the toilet, I'm guessing you're not too concerned toilet/mouse/food contamination thing.

Are you sure about this? According to my memory and wikipedia, Isopropyl alcohol is a disinfectant.

edit: tech professor (same one as earlier) confirmed it and he says he's used it to clean electronics in similar situations, so... yeah.

Arkan on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Both suggestions above will not get your mouse sterile.

Rubbing alcohol doesn't sterilize? Since when?

Guess I better run down to the hospital and tell them they're doing it wrong. ;)

xzzy on
  • Options
    Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yes, for your purposes it will be clean. I never trust anyone to anything completely correctly, so to me I wouldn't call it sterile unless I did it myself.

Ash-Housewares on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would personally trash it. Why mess with something you use fairly often its not like its a 100$ cellphone. Its a 30$ mouse.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I once dropped a DS Lite in the toilet (one clear of visible waste), and the only part of it that stopped working was the touch screen. Nintendo fixed it for me for free, though I did get a letter saying that it'd clearly fallen victim to water damage and that they were only fixing it for me because they're nice. Later I traded the thing in for a DSi.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Because I don't have 30 dollars I could just toss away at a whim right now. I could buy a new mouse, but I'd be cutting into funds I need for other things (gas, food). As such, if there's a cheap way to get it clean (and there is; isopropyl is like 2 bucks a bottle), I'd rather try that first.

Arkan on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Arkan wrote: »
    Because I don't have 30 dollars I could just toss away at a whim right now. I could buy a new mouse, but I'd be cutting into funds I need for other things (gas, food). As such, if there's a cheap way to get it clean (and there is; isopropyl is like 2 bucks a bottle), I'd rather try that first.

I see. Yea. Make sure to use 99% and not 70% isopropyl. The 70% leaves a residue.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I see. Yea. Make sure to use 99% and not 70% isopropyl. The 70% leaves a residue.

And don't drink it. Your liver turns it into acetone!

xzzy on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

1. I read stories on the internet about people who do really stupid things with electronics.
    2. I get very smug. "Hah, those people are retards, I would never do something that stupid!"
    4. I do something retarded to that gadget, probably less than 5 minutes after thinking "Well I should be careful, but only just in case! I'd never do something as retarded as (whatever)!"
    5. I feel like a retard.

The worst part is that this is the second time I've gone through this process, so apparently I didn't learn my lesson the first time.

Lack of caution around a mouse might mean you knock it off the table, or spill a drink on it. Ending up in a full toilet with the battery out of it is not carelessness, it is a mystery.

It's like, "oh man, I forgot to lock my car and now it's on the moon."

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    xzzy wrote: »

Guess I better run down to the hospital and tell them they're doing it wrong. ;)

Not to veer into offtopicville, but it really doesn't. Not that it matters unless he's going to use his mouse as a surgical tool.

Fats on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009

Negative, that's why needles/knives are cleaned in an autoclave. Rubbing alcohol isn't that good.

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    But it works for things you can't put in an autoclave.. such as someone's arm from which a nurse is about to draw blood from.

So I guess it would be more accurate to call it a sanitizer than a sterilizer.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    RandomEngy wrote: »

5. I feel like a retard.

Lack of caution around a mouse might mean you knock it off the table, or spill a drink on it. Ending up in a full toilet with the battery out of it is not carelessness, it is a mystery.

It's like, "oh man, I forgot to lock my car and now it's on the moon."

I have a little mini-desk-type-thing that I can put my laptop on so that if I have it on my lap it isn't sitting directly on my crotch and thus grilling my testicles. I was using that. The mouse was on it. There was no toilet paper, so I put the desk thing down on the sink to find some (after the mistake of bringing the thing in the bathroom to begin with, this was probably the biggest mistake; I should have put it down on the floor). It slid, the mouse hit the rim of the toilet causing the battery cover and battery to pop out; the battery landed about 10 feet away and was completely dry which is how I know it didn't end up in the bowl and teleport outside somehow. The mouse landed in the toilet. Yes, it was stupid, but now I know better.

It isn't as stupid as another story the tech teacher told me about a student's PSP that he cleaned in the same way after he dropped it in a pot of soup. Yes, that's soup, as in the stuff you eat. My story kinda makes sense, but how the fuck do you drop a PSP in a pot of soup? Was he juggling it near the soup?

(Plus, I think in the long term the soup would be less sanitary. Yeah in the immediate term the toilet has the "ewwww!" factor, but after a while all the crap in the soup starts to rot and go bad, plus there's oils and grease and stuff.)

Arkan on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This is awesome post territory, I must report it... and damn, already reported.

You can get a laser mouse for a practically nothing nowadays, skip messing around and just buy something like a Logitech RX1000. It'll probably cost less than the cleaning cloth, alcohol etc anyway.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It was botp'd, but I posted the exact sequence of events that led to an unpowered mouse being in the toilet on the last page. Just a heads up.

It's almost funny.

Arkan on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I could see the PSP thing happening. Or at least, it's more likely than dropping a wireless mouse in a toilet.

Making soup? Waiting for it to boil? Pretty damn boring. Lets play some PSP while we're at it. Oops, need to keep stirring. And I would be willing to bet that if one were to hold the PSP with one hand over the pot of soup and stir the soup with the other hand, steam would rise up, moisten your hand, loosen your grip and plop there goes your PSP.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Rikushix wrote: »
    I could see the PSP thing happening. Or at least, it's more likely than dropping a wireless mouse in a toilet.

Making soup? Waiting for it to boil? Pretty damn boring. Lets play some PSP while we're at it. Oops, need to keep stirring. And I would be willing to bet that if one were to hold the PSP with one hand over the pot of soup and stir the soup with the other hand, steam would rise up, moisten your hand, loosen your grip and plop there goes your PSP.

But if the PSP was on while it was dropped in, it would probably break from an electrical short. So if it was intact and functional after it was cleaned, how did it get in while it was off.

They're both pretty stupid, I must admit.

Arkan on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You should have gone with the battery charging story. I charge my batteries in the bathroom all the time because of the incredibly convenient outlets.

But instead, you told the truth. The truth that you committed first degree bathroom laptop use. And not only that, you used the thing on the toilet with a wireless mouse AND a comfort tray. Didn't some kind of control program go off in your head when you started lugging a home office through the bathroom door? What if someone had seen you?

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Rikushix wrote: »

But if the PSP was on while it was dropped in, it would probably break from an electrical short. So if it was intact and functional after it was cleaned, how did it get in while it was off.

They're both pretty stupid, I must admit.

That's true. I didn't know it worked afterwards.

On the other hand, PSPs and other handheld gadgets are pretty well sealed. Not waterproof of course - there's gaps all over - but it's one of those kinds of electronic things that if you dropped in water or another liquid (say, soup, for instance), it would take a second or two before anything vital might be damaged. My impression, anyway.

In any case, I was just teasing, while I've never dropped anything electronic in a toilet, I know what it feels like.

If it's any consolation I flew a paper airplane into a pot of simmering chili when I was five at day care D:

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I like to be able to browse the internet while I take a dump and I don't like the thermonuclear levels of heat my laptop puts out grilling my junk. (Or my legs; I swear I've had it sitting on them for a while and when I pull it off I have sunburn-like marks on them that hurt to touch)

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

ed: it gets like this, seriously

Arkan on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well, it's done. The mouse was very thoroughly cleaned with water and isopropyl alcohol, removing every visible trace of waste (there wasn't much; it wasn't like the thing was caked in poo, there were just a couple little bits, and none on the circuitboard thankfully) . And grime. And everything else, including the scuff mark my thumb left on the side. And smell- I doubt it'll smell like poo in two days; in fact, I'd be surprised if in two days it didn't end up smelling like fucking rubbing alcohol. Seriously, the area around my sink now reeks of that stuff; nobody warned me about that.

I took extra care to get all the little nooks, the underside of the circuitboard, and the entire scroll-wheel.

In two days I'll get back to you folks with the results. In the meantime, you may continue mocking me.

Arkan on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So I take it the moral of the story here is, use the trackpad when on the can.

Valuable lesson.

xzzy on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is it possible to mark an entire thread as awesome?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would just like to mention that dish washers can be your friend with electronics. Just make sure there is no power source (batteries) and let the item(s) dry for over 24 hours. I've saved a few keyboards & remotes doing this.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I take it the moral of the story here is, use the trackpad when on the can.

Valuable lesson.

You know you're an internet addict when you take your laptop with you into the bathroom when taking a shit.

I have an iphone and two laptops, I have never felt the need to take them with me into the bathroom to browse the internet during my visit to the poop deck.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was already puzzled by people who keep magazines in the bathroom, as I don't even spend enough time on the pot to read a newspaper column.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I use my DS on the can, a fine tradition I inherited from my dad.

He spent hundreds, if not thousands, of hours playing tetris on the original game boy as I was growing up while he relaxed on the throne. I think part of it was that it was the only place in the house where he could go and not be disturbed more than he had prodigious amounts of crap to get rid of.

Never had a dropping-stuff-in-the-bowl incident though.

xzzy on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tetris is good and all, but Wario Land is clearly the best crapper game.

donhonk on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Not really an option in 1992.

xzzy on