As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

IDE / SATA / Slave HD

MuragoMurago Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, so my motherboard crashed on my old emachine. HD works still.

Picked up a new vista HP, works great.

My trouble is slaving my old HD. I did the little "jumper" thing (which thru me off b/c i thought it was an actual cable, i guess its just the little white platic thingy). So that's set. I was still having trouble until i read that for old school ide, if you want it as a slave, you have to use the middle connector on the ribbon cable.

I did this, and the computer finally powered on!

But now it loaded XP!!

Sooo, now I'm at wits end, but I think i know that last step. When i boot, should i jump to bios? And when in there, will i have an option to PICK which HD i want to be slave/master?

Muchos gracias.

Check out www.myspace.com/scarborough -- tell me what you think!
Murago on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The IDE Drive is before the SATA Drive on the boot order. Take it off the boot order or move it below the newer HD.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    where do i find the boot order?

BIOS?

Murago on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    That would be correct sir.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    if this works, i will love you

Murago on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm sure it'll work. Just a matter of getting the boot order right and figuring out which HDD is which.

bowen on
  • Options
    Enos316Enos316 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also, most drives have a sticker on it that will show you the jumper layout. Usually near the jumpers themselves.

Enos316 on

Enos.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    ok, it worked!!

Thanks bowen.

Question tho, will i have to select the boot load evertime i start my computer? Or can I change a setting to make it choose my new vista HD everytime?

Last question. I discovered my fraggin "Lightscribe DVD Multi drive" just isn't working. Bought it new at best buy on the 7th or 8th. I'm gonna take it back, but I just want to make sure - the computer just wouldn't start if i didn't plug in the drive correctly right?

It doesn't make sounds, no lights, nothing. Its plugged in (to my knowledge), about as well as it can be...and I think i remember that even if one thing was incorrectly plugged in, the whole pc just wouldn't start. Any verification would be great, so i don't seem like a moron when i take it back to best buy.

Murago on
  • Options
    theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The boot settings will stick if you changed them in the BIOS. If you just pressed a button during boot that lets you choose a device to boot from, they will not stick.

If your DVD drive doesn't open when you press the eject button, then it could very well be plugged in wrong. It sounds like it isn't getting power. Of course, it could very well be broken.

theclam on
    rez_guy.png