As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plant survival in windy 20th floor balcony?

kathoskathos Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a big balcony, and there's a little nook where I set up an old TV, a futon and some video games for cool spring/summer gaming.

But the significant other told me to put some plants out there, 'cause it looks like a basement dweller's corner, except outside.

So plants it is, we have tons of plants in the house and they're all spring/summer plants, will they survive out there? I'm in Toronto and it's pretty windy, and I'm 20 floors up, with plants survive the windy/chilly weather?!

Thanks!

Brlito.png
kathos on

• Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I live on the 20th floor in my apartment building. If we had plants out there, they would eventually get blown off and kill some poor guy on the sidewalk. It can be really windy and some green leafy thing is prime for taking off when some random wind eddy gets ahold of it. If you have them potted in a heavy flower pot (like 20 lbs +) they will probably not rain death from above, but I'd still be skeptical that they could hold onto all their leaves.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey Kathos, I assume there's some kind of railing around there, right? Is there enough room for say a 20" wide pot on the balcony? Also, how much sun does the area get, and what's the weather like in spring / summer, and do you have room / sunny locale to bring a plant inside if it came to that?

Answer me those and I should be able to wrangle you up some options.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How cold is it in absolute terms? Wind chill doesn't bother plants in the same way it does for warm-blooded animals. If you're just thinking about leaving them out in the summer you may be able to leave tropicals outside (assuming they don't blow over/off the balcony).

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Think I may have found a solution, though don't have the fuckingest idea where to get one:

dwrRailing1.jpg

Got this off a gardening forum, they're apparently called "On The Edge" pots (it's a good thing these came out in '06 ... they'd probably be XTREME! POTS! if they came out in the 90's). Good luck to ya' man.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    X-TREME! POTS!
    are pretty awesome
    you could also consider one of those hanging ones you may have seen in infomercials.
    I'm not entirely sure how sturdy they are though.

RubberAC on
  • Options
    kathoskathos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey Kathos, I assume there's some kind of railing around there, right? Is there enough room for say a 20" wide pot on the balcony? Also, how much sun does the area get, and what's the weather like in spring / summer, and do you have room / sunny locale to bring a plant inside if it came to that?

I do have a railing but my balcony goes into this nook that makes it another room entirely (almost). There a coffe table there, a futon and two big laundry machines (don't ask) holding up the TV, and a bare-bones shelves (holding up random outside things like a ceramic bulldog and a rabbit and stuff).

I do have ceramic pots and such and I wouldn't be putting them out on the railing (the condo board, headed by seniors, would have a HUGE hissy fit).

It's about 2-10 degrees celcius on a regular day for springtime.

kathos on
    Brlito.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    kathos wrote: »

I do have a railing but my balcony goes into this nook that makes it another room entirely (almost). There a coffe table there, a futon and two big laundry machines (don't ask) holding up the TV, and a bare-bones shelves (holding up random outside things like a ceramic bulldog and a rabbit and stuff).

I do have ceramic pots and such and I wouldn't be putting them out on the railing (the condo board, headed by seniors, would have a HUGE hissy fit).

Shit ... colder than I thought. Well almost all of your standard houseplants aren't going to like that. At all. Because they'd be dead. So let's see ... there's a few dwarf conifers that could probably do fine in a pot at least 20" wide (Mugo / Mugho Pine, for one). You can make it a large bonsai! And decorate if for Christmas! Other than that, the best thing I'd say you could do is find a local nursery, not Wal-Mart or shit like that, and ask them for a good evergreen plant for your area. Say that it has to be at least happy in a large pot, but don't mention the balcony thing, because that's only a matter of keeping-the-pot-not-airborne, nevermind what plant is in it.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I'm a born-Californian, moved-to-Oregonian, and I still think 30 degree nights suck ass (mostly because it hampers my efforts to grow awesome hot peppers and shit)

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    kathos wrote: »

Shit ... colder than I thought. Well almost all of your standard houseplants aren't going to like that. At all. Because they'd be dead. So let's see ... there's a few dwarf conifers that could probably do fine in a pot at least 20" wide (Mugo / Mugho Pine, for one). You can make it a large bonsai! And decorate if for Christmas! Other than that, the best thing I'd say you could do is find a local nursery, not Wal-Mart or shit like that, and ask them for a good evergreen plant for your area. Say that it has to be at least happy in a large pot, but don't mention the balcony thing, because that's only a matter of keeping-the-pot-not-airborne, nevermind what plant is in it.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I'm a born-Californian, moved-to-Oregonian, and I still think 30 degree nights suck ass (mostly because it hampers my efforts to grow awesome hot peppers and shit)

Dude you can grow totally awesome peppers in Oregon. I'm going to get some bell peppers and jalapenos (maybe habaneros too) started next time I head down, because screw paying $2.50/lb when you can grow your own for basically free.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I know I can grow awesome peppers. I do grow awesome peppers. But here at least in S. Oregon, Mother Nature does this bitchy thing where like half of March through April has some great weather, but there's always ONE LAST FREEZE before our average last frost date (May 10th). So alot of fool-hardy people have tomatoes and peppers (and squash and corn and shit) out already, but tonight is one of those shitty nights where it's going to drop below $30. Happens all the time. Can't wait to hear people bitch at me at work tomorrow because, you know, the tomato I sold them die for no reason! Also, I warn them, and get scoffed at.

I learned my lesson last year: I planted early, and even though I saved them from two freezes in late April, and one minor one in the first week of May, it really stunts the plant in the long run. Never looks it's best, lackluster fruit. The few Anaheim peppers I got were great, a few cherry tomatoes too, but this year I'm going to heed the advice I hear from all the old timers, and don't plant until the snow's gone from the foothills, or it's past the middle of May. And it was really hard being patient, because we had a couple 70 degree days last week, and I had to preoccupy myself with fixing irrigation, lest I go to work on my day off and buy my tomatoes and shit.

Also, best damn sweet pepper EVER:
    (spoilered for HS)
    GiantMarconi.jpg

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The general rule here in Northern Germany is to not put plants outside until the "Eisheiligen" (Ice Saints) and those are May 11-15.

The most common exception to that rule are Geraniums. So maybe have a look at them?

Grobian on
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I know it could be considered kind of tacky, but have you thought about fake plants? I think with the wind and temperature, it might be a bit much to try and keep something alive out there - and keep it from blowing away.

witch_ie on