As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Compulsory Attendance Laws and 13th Amendment

• Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    werehippy wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    werehippy wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    japan wrote:
    Because attending school doesn't fall into the category of "servitude"?

Why not? You're punished for not "obeying."
    Because children don't have full protection under the constitution. You're still legally considered the property of your parents. Besides, it's not like this is the only law made to protect us against ourselves. You really think seatbelt laws are constitutional?

Is it right that anyone under 18 is property and not people with representation or rights?

It's a hell of a lot better than the alternative, because then you'd have dumbasses who refused to go to school and you'd end up with a population of mouth-breathers with no education or skills. There are comprehensive layers of protections to prevent abuses of the "children = property" aspect of law, and it makes sure that decisions are made by those who are equipped to make them properly.

Children aren't regarded as property. They just have a different legal status than adults.

Admittedly not my area of expertise, but isn't there some merit to the property analogue? It seems really familiar, but I can't remember if it was a valid point or one that some incorrectly raised.

It's like comparing an apple to an orange. Valid in some ways but not in others.

Shinto on
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    werehippy wrote:
    Admittedly not my area of expertise, but isn't there some merit to the property analogue? It seems really familiar, but I can't remember if it was a valid point or one that some incorrectly raised.

While minors aren't regarded as chattel any longer they are still thought to always be under someone's custody whether it be parents, guardians, or the state, barring emancipation. So while not free and equal persons, custodians can't exactly do whatever they want with them like they can with real property.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Bad Kitty wrote:
    werehippy wrote:

While minors aren't regarded as chattel any longer they are still thought to always be under someone's custody whether it be parents, guardians, or the state, barring emancipation. So while not free and equal persons, custodians can't exactly do whatever they want with them like they can with real property.

And when they are murdered the case isn't treated as vandalism.

Shinto on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    russia32 wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    japan wrote:
    Because attending school doesn't fall into the category of "servitude"?

Why not? You're punished for not "obeying."
    Because children don't have full protection under the constitution. You're still legally considered the property of your parents. Besides, it's not like this is the only law made to protect us against ourselves. You really think seatbelt laws are constitutional?

Is it right that anyone under 18 is property and not people with representation or rights?
    Yes. Because people under 18 are idiots 99.9% of the time, and are utterly incapable of making rational and logical decisions about their lives while taking into consideration the long-term ramifications of those decisions.

And quit playing the fucking either/or. You have limited rights and unequal representation.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    russia32 wrote:
    The vast majority of Americans used to believe women were incapable of making decisions.

Would it surprise you if in the future youth were allowed to decide things for themselves? (to remain on topic, I am referring to compulsory attendance)
    First you compare it to slavery, now you compare it to sufferage? :roll:

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Following your logic of 'being legally required to go somewhere, potentially against your will' = slavery I can only assume that you would like to abolish penitentiaries as well.

moniker on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Shinto wrote:
    Bad Kitty wrote:
    werehippy wrote:

And when they are murdered the case isn't treated as vandalism.

All reasons why I went with analogy, instead of "exactly like in all respects" :)

I know I've heard property used as the basis for describing the parent/child relationship (of course with restrictions), and I was just trying to remember if I'd heard it in a serious context, or if it was in one of these "The man is keeping me down" rants.

werehippy on
  • Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Oh Noes! Hi Skool is so terribul!!!

CRAWLING IN MY SKINTHESE WOUNDS THEY WILL NOT HEAL

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    russia32russia32 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:

Stop trying to be funny, and stay on topic if you're going to post.

russia32 on
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    russia32 wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:

Chill dude, the mods handle that kind of stuff so let them do their job.

Anyway, do you have any more points to make or are we done here anyway? I haven't seen you present an argument without glaring holes in it yet, so I'd be happy to hear them.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    russia32 wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:

Start actually posting relevant responses, instead of 'pithy' one liners, and maybe there will actually be a topic to stay on.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    sanstodo wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:

Anyway, do you have any more points to make or are we done here anyway? I haven't seen you present an argument without glaring holes in it yet, so I'd be happy to hear them.

Sorry, but that's basically what this thread is about. You're bitching that you have to go to school. And you're ignoring everyone who's been through it that tells you it's a good thing everyone goes to school.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    sanstodo wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:

Sorry, but that's basically what this thread is about. You're bitching that you have to go to school. And you're ignoring everyone who's been through it that tells you it's a good thing everyone goes to school.

I don't think you've read the thread, and I think you're trying to be humorous and personally insult me at the same time by making assumptions (as you just did, by implying that I'm ignoring people).

russia32 on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You are basically treated as property in the U.S. But that has nothing to do with compulsory education laws.

Even if you were thought of as full adults under the Constitution, compulsory education laws would still be constitutional, because there is an incredibly compelling state interest in children going to school. If children aren't in school, that means they're probably working. This creates several problems: the first being that those children who are working never get any education, which means that they will most likely be working unskilled jobs for the rest of their lives. The second is that it injects a very large number of people into the labor pool who previously weren't eligible for work. This is going to drive down wages, and make it harder for everyone to find jobs. The third is that it creates an incentive for parents to not send their children to school; given the choice, as the head of household, would you rather have two incomes, or three incomes bringing money in? The obvious, selfish choice is three. And without compulsory education, a lot of poorer families would probably elect to not send their children to school, while richer families would have no problem "affording" the opportunity cost of having their children in school. This makes the class divide even larger, and totally screws the poor families. We can see this effect in a lot of developing nations, where a compulsory education policy isn't in place.

Does that answer your question?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think the OP poster has to give reasoning as to why public education is bad, but since he doesn't want an education, I probably shouldn't hold my breath, huh?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    You are basically treated as property in the U.S. But that has nothing to do with compulsory education laws.

Even if you were thought of as full adults under the Constitution, compulsory education laws would still be constitutional, because there is an incredibly compelling state interest in children going to school. If children aren't in school, that means they're probably working. This creates several problems: the first being that those children who are working never get any education, which means that they will most likely be working unskilled jobs for the rest of their lives. The second is that it injects a very large number of people into the labor pool who previously weren't eligible for work. This is going to drive down wages, and make it harder for everyone to find jobs. The third is that it creates an incentive for parents to not send their children to school; given the choice, as the head of household, would you rather have two incomes, or three incomes bringing money in? The obvious, selfish choice is three. And without compulsory education, a lot of poorer families would probably elect to not send their children to school, while richer families would have no problem "affording" the opportunity cost of having their children in school. This makes the class divide even larger, and totally screws the poor families. We can see this effect in a lot of developing nations, where a compulsory education policy isn't in place.

Yes - that is the sort of answer I was looking for.

Unlike Fencing who has managed to post three times without saying a single thing constructive, interesting, or even humorous. :|

russia32 on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    russia32 wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    sanstodo wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:

I don't think you've read the thread, and I think you're trying to be humorous and personally insult me at the same time by making assumptions (as you just did, by implying that I'm ignoring people).

Well, you certainly haven't been paying attention. And maybe you should lurk more, because everyone tries to be humorous and personally insulting.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:

Pweecisewy

sanstodo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    sanstodo wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:

Well, you certainly haven't been paying attention. And maybe you should lurk more, because everyone tries to be humorous and personally insulting.

Except most people are successful.

russia32 on
  • Options
    bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    About the only way you're going to get compulsory attendance to cross into 13th Amendment territory is by bringing up schools that require x many hours of community "volunteer" labor from their students in order to graduate, and it really wouldn't surprise me in the least if those setups were declared unconstitutional or banned by law the second somebody decided to file a legal challenge and stick with it.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    I think the OP poster has to give reasoning as to why public education is bad, but since he doesn't want an education, I probably shouldn't hold my breath, huh?

Homeschooling would fall under this post too since you have 3 options:

1) Send kid to public school.

2) Send kid to private school.

3) Homeschool kid.

Anything not involving a recognized form of schooling = jailtime.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    russia32 wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    sanstodo wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:

Did you just prove my point or yours?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    sanstodo wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:

Did you just prove my point or yours?

Still crying?

russia32 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    russia32 wrote:
    Still crying?

I think you need to understand that no one takes the forums very seriously, outside of specific discussions (see: Loren and irrationality, for example).

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Still crying?

I think you need to understand that no one takes the forums very seriously, outside of specific discussions (see: Loren and irrationality, for example).

I don't know, you seemed to be quite huffy there.

russia32 on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    russia32 wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Still crying?

NO U.

Really.

Rust on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    FyreWulff wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:

Homeschooling would fall under this post too since you have 3 options:

1) Send kid to public school.

2) Send kid to private school.

3) Homeschool kid.

Anything not involving a recognized form of schooling = jailtime.

Very true. My bad.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    russia32 wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Still crying?

Okay, I'm going to clue you in on something. This is a bad topic, with frankly, stupid rationalizing. A few of us may be trying to treat it seriously, and make you understand why mandatory schooling is in no way comparable to slavery or sufferage, but most people here are just goading you. And they're succeeding at it.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Wow. Just wow.

This is Saturday, right? There's no school today?

And yeah, you don't HAVE to go to school- you'd just have to have mommy or daddums teach you at home.

Makes for a great time!

Tach on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    russia32 wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Still crying?

Okay, I'm going to clue you in on something. This is a bad topic, with frankly, stupid rationalizing. A few of us may be trying to treat it seriously, and make you understand why mandatory schooling is in no way comparable to slavery or sufferage, but most people here are just goading you. And they're succeeding at it.

You seem quite huffy there.

russia32 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    russia32 wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Still crying?

Please read what Bionic Monkey wrote. It might help you pick a better topic in the future with a better OP and argumentation.

Try to avoid falling into the trap of replying the weakest and/or most inflammatory posts. It only drags down the level of discourse.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    russia32 wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Still crying?

He's trying to help you.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    sanstodo wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Still crying?

Please read what Bionic Monkey wrote. It might help you pick a better topic in the future with a better OP and argumentation.

Try to avoid falling into the trap of replying the weakest and/or most inflammatory posts. It only drags down the level of discourse.

I did not refer to going to school as sufferage once.

russia32 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    You compared men pre-sufferage thinking women are too incompetent to vote to not letting children choose whether or not they should go to school.

Denying it at this juncture isn't going to help you any.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Furu wrote:
    You compared men pre-sufferage thinking women are too incompetent to vote to not letting children choose whether or not they should go to school.

I think you're referring to suffrage.

It's an entirely different concept.

russia32 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    russia32 wrote:
    sanstodo wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Still crying?

russia32 wrote:
    The vast majority of Americans used to believe women were incapable of making decisions.

Would it surprise you if in the future youth were allowed to decide things for themselves? (to remain on topic, I am referring to compulsory attendance)

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    russia32 wrote:
    sanstodo wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    russia32 wrote:
    Still crying?

russia32 wrote:

That's suffrage.

Suffering generally involves enduring pain of some form. Education is in no way painful.

russia32 on
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    bone daddy wrote:
    About the only way you're going to get compulsory attendance to cross into 13th Amendment territory is by bringing up schools that require x many hours of community "volunteer" labor from their students in order to graduate, and it really wouldn't surprise me in the least if those setups were declared unconstitutional or banned by law the second somebody decided to file a legal challenge and stick with it.

I think challenging mandated community service as involuntary servitude has been done before and failed. I can't remember the case off hand but I'll look it up.

Okay, found it. Case is 210 S.E.2d 842 (M.J.W.). The District court ruled that community service is not involuntary servitude, not a punishment, and not a fine but was considered rehabilitation. Keep in mind that this is an ad hoc ruling and only applies to minors in the Juvenile Court system. I'm certain that had this happened within the adult system community service would be found as punishment, involuntary servitude, and is unconstitutional. Yeah, the juvenile system doesn't make a lot of sense some times and there are growing movements to abolish it.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    russia32 wrote:
    Furu wrote:

I think you're referring to suffrage.

It's an entirely different concept.
    You're nitpicking spelling errors to bolster your stance now? Okay, I'm washing my hands of you. Go down in a glorious flaming spectacle. At least it'll be entertaining.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Y...you don't know what the word suffrage means, do you?
    Wiki wrote:
    Suffrage (from the Latin suffragium, meaning "vote") is the civil right to vote, or the exercise of that right. In that context, it is also called political franchise or simply the franchise, a term dating from the time when the Franks of ancient France were free.

EDIT: Oh, I see what he did now.

Yeah.

That's really stupid of you.

Furu on