As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokémon] Tourney in a week! Register! Check Mystery Gift for Rotom's other formes

RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
Welcome to the new Pokémon thread! Here we share opinions, trade and battle with Pokémon.
497.jpg

If you don't know what Pokémon are, then this thread is probably not for you! But we can help you understand what they are.
1235803836843.jpg

If you don't care about Pokémon, then GTFO.

Pokémon is short for ポケットモンスター or Pocket Monsters. They are creatures that are each one based on an element and are able to attack with moves from those elements. You use your own creatures to capture more and more species you find in the wild. There are 493 of them, and each one has a varying degree of usability in battle.

Tiers, much like in fighting games, will give you an idea of which of them will make it more likely to win a match, but won't necessarily guarantee your victory. For the most up-to-date tier list and probably the most reliable and most used, please refer to Smogon, which also offers examples of movesets and EV spreads that will give you an idea of what to do with yours.
GSC_Gold.png

If you want to be a trainer, and don't even know which version to buy, you can either get Diamond or Pearl for your battling needs, although there is a third version, Platinum (which is out now) and you might want to grab that one instead, as it features several options not available in Diamond or Pearl.
Bulbapedia wrote:
List of features in Platinum (will only list functional gameplay features not in D/P)

- The Wi-Fi area has been enhanced with the Wi-Fi Square, which supports up to 20 people at a time. The new area seems to focus exclusively on mini-games, which include Rapid Wobbuffet, where players hit a Wobbuffet, and Merry Mime Jr., where players can balance Mime Jr. on a ball.
- The Poffin making has been modified with a new feature involving a Swalot-shaped machine, into which Berries can be thrown. This can be done over Wi-Fi in the new Wi-Fi Square.
- There is a new key item called the Battle Recorder (given by Looker when the player first meets him in Jubilife City), which allows players to record battles in Battle Frontier and Wi-Fi, and share the records with other players over the GTS. Battle records can be rated by other players upon viewing, and the most popular battle records are displayed for all to see. Players can also take pictures of their PC boxes and share them with other players in a similar fashion.
- The GTS has incorporated an E-mail system that allows players to be notified of completed trades.
- Notification messages are sent to the player's actual E-mail address.
- The Sinnoh starters and their evolutions are now allowed in an expanded Amity Square, making a total of 20 Pokémon allowed in the Square.
- Over local wireless, there is a new feature where the player and their friends can put their Pokémon eggs in and randomly swap.
- HM05 (Defog) is now located inside the Solaceon Ruins instead of the Pastoria Great Marsh.
- The player now receives HM04 (Strength) from Riley on Iron Island instead of in the Lost Tower.
- The player can now challenge other trainers in certain Pokémon Centers. The trainer(s) are located in front of the desk. These trainers change location every day.
- In addition to the move tutors in Diamond and Pearl, three new move tutors are added, in Snowpoint City, on Route 212 and in the Survival Area.
- The Accuracy of Hypnosis was changed back to 60.
- The surfing speed has become faster.

What you need to start battling:

- First of all, finish the main game first. Trying to understand and manipulate EVs and IVs before that will be a pain.
- Once you've beaten the Elite Four, the real fun* begins. First, give Individual Values or IVs a read. You will also want to know everything about breeding and Effort Values or Evs. Natures Natures should also be read.
- Now that you know some things about EVs, you can either grind at the Battle Tower for the points needed to buy the Power Items or borrow them from someone who is used to play here at G&T. These items will make EV training much easier.
- If you aren't sure what to do with your Pokés, check out Smogon for some tips that will help you choose an appropriate EV spread and moveset for your Mons.
- Check out Psypoke's EV training spots.
- Also, check out what's inside the spoiler for a better way to breed eggs (doesn't work in Platinum):

- You might want to check Chen's list of what you should consider adding to your team:

01 Rapid Spin/Magne[strike]ton[/strike]zone
02 Rock resist
[strike]03 Roar/Whirlwind[/strike]
[strike]04 Mixpert counter[/strike]
05 Gengar counter
06 Special Tank
07 Physical Tank
[strike]08 Recover Zam counter[/strike]
[strike]09 Grass Type[/strike]
10 Toxic taker
11 Will-o-Wisp taker
12 Paralysis taker
13 Sleep taker
14 Fighting resistance
15 Tyranitar counter
[strike]16 Reversal counter[/strike]
[strike]17 Sludge Bomb Tentacruel counter[/strike]
18 Water type
[strike]19 Taunt Umbreon counter[/strike]
[strike]20 Jirachi Counter[/strike]
21 Celebi Counter
22 Normal resistance (Explosion)
[strike]23 Curselax counter[/strike]
24 Gyarados+[strike]Magneton[/strike]Electivire counter
25 Salamence counter (usually Ice Beam)
26 Ghost to block Rapid Spin (only if you're using Spikes)
27 Stealth Rock user
28 Draco Meteor taker
29 Outrage taker
30 Fire resistance (Heatran, Infernape)
31 Steel resistance
32 Priority user
33 Revenge killer (usually scarfed or priority user)
34 Trick taker

- And more importantly: Have fun! It doesn't matter if you win or lose. You must have learned something from experience, and if your newest creation wasn't as good as thought it'd be and you want to keep it boxed, don't feel discouraged. We all have trained some Pokémon that we'll never use again because it sounded better on paper than it performed in practice.

General battling rules
- Pokémon battles through Wi-fi automatically level your Pokémon to either levels 50 or 100. So you don't have to train them to level 100 yourself, saving a lot of time. In fact, it will be better if you don't level them up all the way to level 100 since you at that stage you won't be able to edit your Pokés' EVs.
-Sleep Clause: you may not put more than one of your opponent's Pokémon to sleep at a time.
-Species Clause: your team must be comprised of six different species of Pokémon.
-Suicide Clause: If both players are down to their last Pokémon, the player with the first Pokémon to hit 0 HP is the loser. In other words, using moves like Self Destruct and Explosion cause you to lose, even if it kills your opponent. However, using a move with a recoil that kill both you and your opponent is a win for you.
-No Legendary Pokémon whatsoever. This includes Wobbuffet and Garchomp.

Warnings

- Do NOT buy Pokémon Battle Revolution unless you hate yourself.
- If you use U-Turn with a Choice Banded Pokémon, and your next Pokémon also has U-Turn, it will be locked to U-Turn as well. It seems this was a glitch in DP ans was fixed in Platinum. Thanks to Ashton Dragon for the first bit of information and to InvisibleInk for the second bit.
- If your opponent Yawns you and you have a Chesto Berry, you might not want to use Rest, because at the end of that turn you will have woken up with the Chesto Berry after Resting, then you'll fall asleep again because of the Yawn.
- Don't take a bath with your Tentacool.
- Beware: The game is very addictive once you join the community. Make your time.
1235792844240.gif

Sites of interest

PA's Pokémart. You should read the OP before posting there.
Marriland's team builder. It will let you know how many weaknesses your team has so you can take meassures before battling.
Serebii. Check out their Pokédex.
Metalkid's IV Calculator.
Get more Box Wallpapers for DP
Get more Box Wallpapers for Platinum

Use the post below for refering to Friend Codes of people who post in the thread and codes for battles you can watch on Platinum's GTS.

RockinX on

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Active Battlers' Friend Codes:
    RockinX (Diamond): 0301-6425-9658
    Kay (Diamond): 2277-9321-5433 -- (Platinum): 4253-9422-6181
    InvisibleInk (Diamond): 1890-7641-5153 -- (Platinum): 1419 2587 1159
    Kuribo's Shoe: 4726-3831-9680
    Chen: 1633-1499-9731
    Emerlmaster999 (Platinum): 1762-8554-8209 -- (Pearl): 5455-5864-6503
    Arikado: 0645-5958-6383
    Aggril (Pearl): 1418-3381-0393
    troublebrewing: 3824-4455-1138
    SirToasty (Diamond): 0645-2240-5346 -- (Platinum): 2836-5993-1590
    krylon666 (Plat): 5198-8471-4100
    Jugs (Platinum): 2965-4488-5135
    Eveelution (Diamond): 1934-5192-0708 -- (Platinum): 2707-7660-6352
    Rami: 1505-1815-6853
    Zerokku: 3008-4195-7069

Recorded Battles:
    InvisibleInk Vs. RockinX (March 30th, 2009): 85-99789-88527
    InvisibleInk Vs. Chen (Date unknown): 93-70561-90260
    HAXSTRAVAGANZA -- InvisibleInk Vs. RockinX (April 1st, 2009): 14-97385-70002
    Dingus Xavier Vs RockinX (From around page 50 of this thread): 50-16768-96468
    InvisibleInk Vs. Dingus Xavier (April 13, 2009): 21-91799-19989
    InvisibleInk Vs. Dingus Xavier (April 14, 2009): 25-08496-80972
    Rami Vs Frontier Brain (April 14, 2009): 61-84306-32793
    Dingus Xavier Vs. Invisible Ink (April16, 2009)
    RockinX Vs InvisibleInk (April 19, 2009): 34-16068-37321
    Sixfortyfive Vs Dingus Xavier

Tournament rules:

General Info
    To Register: PM a list of 10 pokemon to me (AshtonDragon) on or before May 8th. You do not need to tell me their moves or what item they are holding, just the species name. Like, "Pikachu". I will release everyone's lists just before the first round begins, and for each round, you will pick 6 of your pokemon to use based on your opponent's list.

Dates: The tournament is currently set to begin on May 1st. Each round will last 2 or 3 days. If you are unable to battle your opponent within the time frame given due to your schedules simply not lining up, I will give you both a draw. However, if one person is clearly not even trying to have their battle, they will be given a loss. Note that I will be willing to to replace a draw with a win/loss at a later time if you manage to have your battle later.

Tournament Style: This is a Swiss-style tournament. This means that you are awarded points depending on if you win or lose, and will continue to have more battles even if you do lose (there is no "elimination", even if it's no longer possible for you to win the tournament). I am planning to have 6 rounds followed by a single-elimination "Top 8" bracket. However, there could be less rounds or no "Top 8" depending on the number of participants and general interest.

Prize?: There's no physical or monetary prize for winning this tournament, it's purely for fun. However, I believe someone is offering a special legendary pokemon to the winner, and I'll probably dig up some kind of pokemon of some value to give out as well.

Rules
    - Your pokemon do not need to keep the same movesets or items through the whole tournament. If a move isn't working out for you or you feel your pokemon need more speed, feel free to change or retrain them between your matches. If you have more than one of the same pokemon, you can use whichever one you want for each round, as long as you don't use more than one of them in the same battle.

- Banned Pokemon: You are not allowed to use any legendary pokemon, Wobbuffet, or Garchomp. This includes all the "roaming" legendaries like Cresselia as well as the regular ones like Giratina and Heatran. Please note that Rotom is not a legendary pokemon (in case you thought it was), but the new forms of Rotom do not work on WiFi.

- Sleep Clause: If one of your opponent's pokemon is currently asleep, you cannot put another one to sleep. If you accidentally do, you must either let your opponent wake up (by wasting turns using Hypnosis over and over or by switching pokemon back and forth), or forfeit the match. Note that if this isn't possible (due to a Sandstorm, for example), you may be forced to forfeit the match even if it was accidental.

- Explosion Clause: If you are down to your last pokemon and use Explosion, Destiny Bond, or another "suicide" move, you lose the match. If the match ends in a draw some other way (such as by Sandstorm defeating both side's pokemon during the same turn), it will be a draw.

- Evasion and OHKO: The moves "Double Team", "Minimize", "Sheer Cold", "Fissure", "Guillotine", and "Horn Drill" are banned from use. If you use one of these moves, you will be forced to forfiet the match. Items or abilities that cause increases in evasion are not banned, although they are generally frowned upon.

- Leftovers Limit: We are not enforcing "Item Clause" in this tournament. However, you will be limited to using a maximum total of 2 of the "Leftovers" and "Black Sludge" items. This means that you can use 2 Leftovers or 1 of each Leftovers and Black Sludge, or less than than a total of 2 if you wish. There is no such limit on other items.

- Team Secrecy: I actually do recomend saving a video replay of your matches, if possible, especially if the matches are particularly close. However, DO NOT show these replays to anyone in the tournament (such as by posting them in this thread) until the tournament is complete. It isn't fair to your opponent to reveal their pokemon's moves and strategies while the tournament is still ongoing. I also advise you to not speak in-detail about your matches in this thread; you will be asked to edit any such info out of your posts.

- In case of a disconnect: If a disconnect happens really early into a match, and it's possible to recreate the match to that point, try to do so. Otherwise, you really have to determine how close the match was. If one of you was in a position where you were almost definitely going to win the match, the win really has to be given to that person. If the match was extremely close, you may either agree on a draw or have a rematch. If you cannot agree that one person had the advantage, try to describe the situation (as vaguely as possible, as to not give away the pokemon's movesets) to the community and we will decide the outcome.

If I forgot something, or something simply wasn't addressed, let me know. Also, I should note that Jugs is helping me run this tournament. If I'm not around and some kind of decision has to be made, his word is as good as mine.

RockinX on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »
    If they have good IV's Im looking for ditto's with

Adamant
    Naive
    Timid
    Modest
    Impish
    Sassy
    Jolly

Just to round out all the pokes I'm working on/have ideas for.

Training a Bronzong, eh?

Well, I suppose there's a couple of other things that might want to be Sassy.

Rockin, you should put [Pokemon] at the beginning of the title instead of the end. I had trouble finding this thread.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Wait until the guys that know what I'm talking about read it and get the reference.

RockinX on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I need to buy Platinum but it doesn't come out here until May. :(

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Adamant
    Naive
    Timid
    Modest
    Impish
    Sassy
    Jolly

Training a Bronzong, eh?

Well, I suppose there's a couple of other things that might want to be Sassy.

Rockin, you should put [Pokemon] at the beginning of the title instead of the end. I had trouble finding this thread.

Possibly. You'll have to wait and see :P
    RockinX wrote: »
    Wait until the guys that know what I'm talking about read it and get the reference.

I caught the reference and agree with Ashton, looks better/more uniform in the front.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    RavynBlackheartRavynBlackheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Riight...I don't get it.

RavynBlackheart on
  • Options
    dingus xavierdingus xavier Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I remember that, but ashton's right, at some point put [pokemon] in front.

It really sucks when you think you're done EV training a poke but then it turns out you somehow got the EVs wrong despite doing the same damn 21-gyarados-with-power-bracer-and-pokerus grind you always do.

Arrrrrrrrrrgh

dingus xavier on
    Platinum FC:0474 4582 3401
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fine. Changed.

RockinX on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Eeveelution is still in the works.

Just you wait... just you wait.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    i feel so old every time i see that comic ;_;

Push Button / Receive Cat on
  • Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, especially the person that locked that thread. He'll laugh and laugh.
    :P

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Adamant
    Naive
    Timid
    Modest
    Impish
    Sassy
    Jolly

I probably have all of those, but the only one with good IVs is most likely the Adamant one. The rest will just get you the nature and not much else.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't get that comic. Why is it in the OP again? It's in moonspeak.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Isn't it "What was the most popular technology when your game was released?"

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ianator wrote: »
    Isn't it "What was the most popular technology when your game was released?"

Yeah, something of the sorts.

I'm thinking of updating my Wii in order to download Kirby 3 and Bit Trip Beat. That means I'll lose the ability to clone saves. It's a tough decision, but I have most TMs already cloned anyway. I still need a lot of Rock Slides, but I have 20+ of the rest of the good TMs.

Also, I keep deleting Darkrais, Mews, Celebis, Suicunes, and shiny Giratinas. If you want one before they run out (I have limited box space right now in both the Wii and the DS and I don't want to back up Ranch again to free up space), now is your chance to ask for some before I decide I want to update.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'll take a Shiny Giratina.

Its a shame to lose such a reliable cloning facility, but if thats what you want to do.

It reminds me, why hasn't Nintendo released the Platinum update for Pokemon Ranch in America yet?
    I thought it was released in Japan pretty quickly after Platinum.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I remember there was a Ranch update shortly after it was released, but I don't know what it was for.

Also, before giving away the shiny Giratinas, I have to ask Zerokku, if it's ok.

RockinX on
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Also, I keep deleting Darkrais, Mews, Celebis, Suicunes, and shiny Giratinas. If you want one before they run out (I have limited box space right now in both the Wii and the DS and I don't want to back up Ranch again to free up space), now is your chance to ask for some before I decide I want to update.

I don't suppose I could bother you for a Mew and a Celebi? Is there anything you'd like for them?

Adellios on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Good breeding stock and egg moves are always welcome. Maybe a Giga Impact TM if you don't have those.

Oh, oh, the Tri Attack Togepi would be nice to clone if it has Serene Grace.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

it is in moonspeak.

basically, the pokegirls are all being asked questions about what is popular in their time. it makes fun of how 'old' misty is.

for example, CD->MD->MP3 and vista->XP->98

• Options
    edited April 2009
    IV Battle anyone?

And go ahead rockin. I could care less.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Good breeding stock and egg moves are always welcome. Maybe a Giga Impact TM if you don't have those.

I'll try to grab any TMs of your choice since I haven't been playing very long (Unless you want a Jolly/Adamant Absol with mean look and baton pass.) As for the Togepi, I've heard that it sometimes switches abilities if it's from a Pal Park when it evolves so I'm a little unsure. It really sucks to play through again because the game is a jerk and wont let you try for better natures/IVs most of the time.

Adellios on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

It is in there because of the sentence that preceeds it.

"If you don't know what Pokémon are, then this thread is probably not for you! But we can help you understand what they are."

The joke is that most people don't understand Japanese at all.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Adellios wrote: »

I'll try to grab any TMs of your choice since I haven't been playing very long (Unless you want a Jolly/Adamant Absol with mean look and baton pass.) As for the Togepi, I've heard that it sometimes switches abilities if it's from a Pal Park when it evolves so I'm a little unsure. It really sucks to play through again because the game is a jerk and wont let you try for better natures/IVs most of the time.

If you have trouble with anything, just give me tradetrash Pokés.

To my knowledge, the only Pokés that change their abilities when they evolve (and only after evolving in DP) are those Pal Parked Pokémon that got a new ability in DP that they didn't have in the third gen.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Rockin, IV battle with me real quick.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sure. Let me get a Poké to check as well.

RockinX on
  • Options
    AggrilAggril Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I could use a Celebi for my Pokedex most certainly.

And I have many Dittos and Synchronizers, but I don't know offhand if any of the dittos have natures that are on that list. Some of them are chilling on my Ranch, so I'd have to wait til tomorrow to check on those ones.

I'd also add my usual 'needs moar Drifloon' comment as to the OP but that Gengar pic is quite well done.

Aggril on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Can you complete the dex without Celebi and Mew?

When do you want to trade?

I'm online, Zerok.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm pretty sure you can get away with the complete Pokedex without the event Pokemon, but I don't have a complete dex quite yet so I couldn't say for certain.

I can trade whenever, or more specifically after I figure out where I put my Pearl cart.

Oh and the OP should be edited to note that Platinum is already out.

Aggril on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Thanks, Aggril, I fixed it now. Do you want the Celebi now?

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sure, I'll be on in a minute.

Anything in particular you'd like for it, or anything goes?

Aggril on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Let me check my missing TMs.

Breeding stock with egg moves is also nice.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Naive Chimchar #1
    24/23/31/31/31/19 - HP Dragon

Think I'm gonna go with this one. Mixape so the attack will be nice. Speed and lack of HP Ice is disappointing though.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I need a fling TM to clone. I'll be on soon.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    you don't need mew, ho-oh, lugia, celebi, jirachi, deoxys, phione, manaphy, darkrai, shaymin or arceus to complete the dex.

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Alright, I'll be on- I guess I should bring two things if you're going to clone the TM? Since I'll be needing it back, though I've yet to think of something I'd like to have use that particular TM.

I don't have too many breeding projects that I haven't thrown into Ranch, but-ah. I do have two decent but not-quite-making-the-cut ones.

Aggril on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Thanks. You're a coot Cat.

I'm online, Aggril.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think I'm gonna go with this set on my infernape -

~ Nasty Plot
    ~ Fire Blast / Flamethrower
    ~ Close Combat / Vacuum Wave
    ~ Grass Knot

Need to decide between those moves up there. What do you guys think? I always have a hard time choosing between fire blast and flamethrower.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'd choose Flamethower because it's just not worth to sacrifice accuracy for power if you already have Nasty Plot.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    While there's times that a priority move is a good thing to have, its wierd to me to see an Infernape without Close Combat. I mean, if its going to be a Mixape it really should have its defining wall-breaker move.

Flamethrower or Fire Blast is more a personal decision- me I think a Fire Blast miss could cost your Ape dearly, so I'd go with Flamethrower. But there's times that you'd want the extra power.

Aggril on