As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Supertrains!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    Wait what the hell? Montreal gets the only international connection to the awesome Obama plan and Toronto doesn't?

Motherfucker!

I thought you people hated the French!

The South hates the French. Well, it's really more of a mild disdain than hate. Really it's just Bill O'Reilly.

We mock because, well, we're a sarcastic people.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    enc0re wrote: »
    So any word on whose high-speed technology will be competing for this?

France's TGV?
    Germnay's ICE?
    Japan's Shinkansen?

There's some good stuff out there.
    New, inferior, slower, more expensive American technology, probably.

I'm wondering what the fares are going to be like. Acela is pretty absurdly expensive. $100 to get from Boston to NYC. Mass transit should be less expensive, or at least comparably expensive, or much faster than driving. Acela is like five times as expensive and not a whole lot faster than driving.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Getting the tracks right are the most important part, but yeah - Acela better not be used.

This is from the strategy document:
    Near-term investment strategy seeks to:

• Advance new express high-speed corridor services (operating speeds above 150 mph on primarily dedicated track) in select corridors of 200–600 miles.

• Develop emerging and regional high-speed corridor services (operating speeds up to 90–110 mph and 110–150 mph respectively, on shared and dedicated track) in corridors of 100–500 miles.

• Upgrade reliability and service on conventional intercity rail services (operating speeds up to 79–90 mph).

geckahn on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bitchin'. Hopefully this will be done and ready by the time I'm no longer living on an island.

Quid on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    Bitchin'. Hopefully this will be done and ready by the time I'm no longer living on an island.

There may be talk of a bridge...

moniker on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    moniker wrote: »

There may be talk of a bridge...

I never though I'd be on a traaaaain [/robotvoice]

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    icon_surprised.gif

Quid on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So any word on whose high-speed technology will be competing for this?

France's TGV?
    Germnay's ICE?
    Japan's Shinkansen?

There's some good stuff out there.
    New, inferior, slower, more expensive American technology, probably.

Please tell me that's your pessimism speaking. There is no actual indication we're about to spend the cash reinventing high speed trains, right?

Don't get me wrong. I could see some sort of "Buy American" clause, where GE (or whoever) licenses the technology from another country but builds the trains here. But, please, let's not invent a whole new one.

enc0re on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Acela was an American design manufactured in Canada

and it is a goddamn joke

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    please be a maglev, please be a maglev, please be a maglev...

Kriz on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Kriz wrote: »

uh, no. those are ungodly expensive.

geckahn on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    So is Dagny Taggart running this project yet?

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    geckahn wrote: »

Seriously. I mean, I'm all for the cool factor. But I'd rather get a sensible and comprehensive system setup than 1 or two corridors built over the course of the next century. We shouldn't be reinventing the wheel with this thing. There are systems proved to work that can be implemented here. We should implement them.

moniker on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Updated the OP with a much better version of the proposed HSR map which includes some of the non high speed rail that fills in a lot of the obvious holes.

Included here for the lazy
    rail_map_blog.jpg

werehippy on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    moniker wrote: »

Seriously. I mean, I'm all for the cool factor. But I'd rather get a sensible and comprehensive system setup than 1 or two corridors built over the course of the next century. We shouldn't be reinventing the wheel with this thing. There are systems proved to work that can be implemented here. We should implement them.

Indeed, and maglev doesn't look like it has super awesome benefits:
    Wiki: The highest recorded speed of a maglev train is 581 km/h (361 mph), achieved in Japan in 2003[2], 6 km/h faster than the conventional TGV speed record.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Please be TGV or ICE tech, Please be TGV or ICE tech...

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Honk wrote: »
    So is Dagny Taggart running this project yet?

Laser powered Rearden-trains for everyone who is not a Taker.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So looking at that map, why no high speed train from San Antonio to Houston and no high speed train from Florida to everywhere else? Besides the fact that lots of people dislike Florida.

I understand the big gap over most of the west, but it seems odd to not have it between major cities near one another.

Quid on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Mei Hikari wrote: »

Unlikely, TGV doesn't meet our safety standards (dunno about ICE).

There's a reason why we developed Acela.

Also, what's wrong with Acela other than the fact that the railbed doesn't allow it to go fast enough?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Saammiel wrote: »
    Man, Omaha gets left out. Which wouldn't be all that shocking if they weren't talking about running a line to Albany, Raleigh and especially that hellhole Jacksonville of all places.

From what I understand a lot of the problems and costs associated with running high speed rail transit in the United States has to do with elevation gradients in various parts of the country and also the cost of getting the land to run the track through. Doesn't seem like either would be a problem with Omaha and I would love to be able to zip to Chicago for a weekend. Going to join a tea party over this great injustice Obama, just you wait and see.

Yeah, why the fuck isn't Omaha in that plan. The train service is a joke.

And to whoever said just take a plane: planes are effin expensive if you want to take anything bigger than a computer cross country. They aren't the end-all-be-all of transportation. It'd be awesome if I could get on one of these and go to Chicago or Denver over the weekend and come back without having to pay $texas in short-notice plane tickets and only be able to bring like one extra pair of clothes.

Also the fact that you can actually get up and move around on a train. Also, not everyone can take a plane, nor can you transport everything on a plane.

But for all we know this is probably just the first proposal, and we'll get an actual trans-continent high speed line, which will more than likely go through Omaha.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Man, Omaha gets left out. Which wouldn't be all that shocking if they weren't talking about running a line to Albany, Raleigh and especially that hellhole Jacksonville of all places.

From what I understand a lot of the problems and costs associated with running high speed rail transit in the United States has to do with elevation gradients in various parts of the country and also the cost of getting the land to run the track through. Doesn't seem like either would be a problem with Omaha and I would love to be able to zip to Chicago for a weekend. Going to join a tea party over this great injustice Obama, just you wait and see.

And to whoever said just take a plane: planes are effin expensive if you want to take anything bigger than a computer cross country. They aren't the end-all-be-all of transportation. It'd be awesome if I could get on one of these and go to Chicago or Denver over the weekend and come back without having to pay $texas in short-notice plane tickets and only be able to bring like one extra pair of clothes.

Also the fact that you can actually get up and move around on a train. Also, not everyone can take a plane, nor can you transport everything on a plane.

If you're moving cross country then mass transit is not the route to take. Hire some movers, or get a u-haul. Overhead compartments don't magically get larger on trains, nor are they going to tack on a new car just so you can bring your sofa with you.

Omaha should be connected, though. Through Iowa City, Des Moines, and the Quad Cities.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I see people using the Greyhound to move cross-country all the time. Not everyone knows how to or should be driving.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I see people using the Greyhound to move cross-country all the time. Not everyone knows how to or should be driving.

Then use greyhound.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

But for all we know this is probably just the first proposal, and we'll get an actual trans-continent high speed line, which will more than likely go through Omaha.

There is not going to be a high speed transcontinental railroad line because our continent is pretty damn huge. We should definitely work to increase speed and rail capacity for freight, but that's a completely different can of worms.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

So use greyhound or hire movers. High speed rail is not intended, nor should it be intended, to move houses across country. It's to replace short-hop plane rides and/or driving. Driving as in a car driving, not a truck laden down with crap.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Then use greyhound.

Greyhound is more expensive than the train or plane.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »

ahahaha, what?

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

ahahaha, what?

From Wikipedia. Have some tissue ready to wipe your tears:
    The Acela trainset is a unique train designed specifically to satisfy very specific U.S. governmental rolling stock requirements. These requirements are significantly different than anywhere else in the world, including countries that have a highly functional high speed rail network. Most manufacturers who bid on the Acela were unable to meet these requirements, bringing up cost and complication for the manufacture of the trains, leaving only one manufacturer, and requiring that manufacturer to make significant engineering changes to their standard designs. These specifications are not a result of specific Northeast Corridor track conditions.

The tilting carriages are based upon Bombardier's earlier LRC trains rather than the TGV's articulated trailers, and the locomotives and passenger cars are much heavier than those of the TGV in order to meet the United States Federal Railroad Administration's different approach to rail crash standards. The Tier II crash standards, adopted in 1999, have also resulted in the passenger cars being designed without steps and trapdoors, which means that the trainsets can only serve stations with high-level platforms—this currently restricts them to lines with high-level platforms such as the Northeast Corridor.

Anybody who's ridden the TGV, ICE, and Acela knows that the Acela is a worse design in more ways than its hilariously inadequate track.

enc0re on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Please connect Florida with the rest of the country I am trapped here oh, gawd...

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

ahahaha, what?

The Acela trainset is a unique train designed specifically to satisfy very specific U.S. governmental rolling stock requirements. These requirements are significantly different than anywhere else in the world, including countries that have a highly functional high speed rail network. Most manufacturers who bid on the Acela were unable to meet these requirements, bringing up cost and complication for the manufacture of the trains, leaving only one manufacturer, and requiring that manufacturer to make significant engineering changes to their standard designs. These specifications are not a result of specific Northeast Corridor track conditions.

The tilting carriages are based upon Bombardier's earlier LRC trains rather than the TGV's articulated trailers, and the locomotives and passenger cars are much heavier than those of the TGV in order to meet the United States Federal Railroad Administration's different approach to rail crash standards. The Tier II crash standards, adopted in 1999, have also resulted in the passenger cars being designed without steps and trapdoors, which means that the trainsets can only serve stations with high-level platforms—this currently restricts them to lines with high-level platforms such as the Northeast Corridor.

Anybody who's ridden the TGV, ICE, and Acela knows that the Acela is a worse design in more ways than its hilariously inadequate track.

Whooooooooooooa what? Why are our safety standards so much different than everywhere else around the world?

The Raging Platypus on
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    edited April 2009

ahahaha, what?

:|

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And people wonder why our public transportation is decaying.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I like this idea from a local perspective. A high-speed rail line linking Reno with the Bay Area would be a boon to both areas. A lot of us already drive from Reno to SF or Sac. regularly, and I'd love to be able to relax on the ride, even if it took marginally longer than a drive.

If the tickets were reasonable, I'd even consider taking cross-country trips on it.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've mucked about on the ICE trains in Germany and the Benelux region. I honestly prefer it to air travel. With all the checking in and baggage bullshit, it takes less time in a lot of cases than flying, and is a hell of a lot more pleasant.

I kinda wish they'd throw in a spur going from Daytona over to Orlando. It'd be nice to be able to hit up the orlando downtown area, and not have to get drive home drunk, and it would pull some tourists over to our little berg. We suck pretty hard for intracity mass transit though, Orlando as well, but if there was more demand and more money coming into the area, they could work something out. We've got buses, but they are pretty much only used by the chronically unemployable.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    LavaKnight wrote: »
    I like this idea from a local perspective. A high-speed rail line linking Reno with the Bay Area would be a boon to both areas. A lot of us already drive from Reno to SF or Sac. regularly, and I'd love to be able to relax on the ride, even if it took marginally longer than a drive.

If the tickets were reasonable, I'd even consider taking cross-country trips on it.

Yeah. You'd never be late, even if it crashed, because hey, the governor lady can always send in more trains.

fshavlak on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    LavaKnight wrote: »

Unfortunately most people care about exactly two things in travel: How fast? How cheap?

Last year I took a 13 hour train ride from Germany to the Netherlands. My wife and I had a sleeping room to ourselves: Bunk beds. Your own toilet and shower. Sparkling wine upon embarkment. An extensive breakfast including meats, cheeses, yogurt, rolls, tea, coffee, and juice. Being woken by a steward.

Next year, I'll go back using the Queen Mary II, the last ocean liner. To me it's as much about the trip as how fast I get there. It's vacation after all.

enc0re on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The QE2 was the most relaxing trip I've ever had. Exciting and fun-filled? Not so much. There were way too many old people and shuffle board games.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    mr_ekimmr_ekim Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    For those of you who are wondering about fares for HST in California, there is a convenient fare/travel time calculator. I think proposed fare is being overtly optimistic (Frisco to LA for $55), but the planners claim that the fare structure can pay for its entire capital costs in 30 years, give or take.

mr_ekim on
    steam_sig.pngmrekim.phpmrekim.php
  • Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Obama plan stitches together most of the plans that have already been studied.

The disconnected networks are mainly already studied plans - the Chicago hub (MRRI) network has been in various stages of development since 1996. 13 years! And there is a 15 year buildout plan for that one alone. Buildout of the original highway system finished in 1992, with the Glenwood Canyon section of Interstate 70. The map presented is at least feasible in a shorter time frame. Most of the other plans have been in the works - so they are far closer to getting to production than starting from scratch. There is a huge planning information for the MRRI system on the DOT sites for the various states.

And no, spurs to Omaha (60th largest metro area) or Daytona (100th largest) should not be on the initial build out plan. Look at the original Eisenhower highway system. are not on the rail paths connecting any large population centers. Of the top 25, only Phoenix and Denver are not in the plan, which are isolated from the usual 500 mi range of HSI. I'd only shift the Little Rock/Texarkana part to connect through Topeka and KC.

Kipling on
    3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

ahahaha, what?

Yeah, our crash standards (just like our car crash standards) are tougher than those in Europe.

I asked before and I'll ask it again, what exactly makes Acela so bad?

I'm not defending it, I seriously have no idea why it should be crap other than the fact that the track is, as you put it, "hilariously inadequate" - which it most certainly is.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png