As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Persona/SMT Discussion | The clock is ticking. Who will survive? [Devil Survival On!]

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
MegatenLogo.pnglogo.png

Strategic on-the-go pocky fusion, now available!

devilsurvivor_boxart_small_stroke.jpg

In recent news, it appears the game that's considered the best Devil Summoner game(as well as one of the best SMT spinoffs) is being fan-translated by the team responsible for Innocent Sin's English patch.

soulhack2.jpg

http://gemini.aerdan.org/forums/index.php?topic=137.0

hitomless.png

I bet this will take a while, but it's a start.
General
Genre: J-Rpg
Version: NTSC/JP
Publisher: Atlus
Platform: Playstation
No. of Players: 1
No. of Discs: 2

Status
Translation: ?%
Hacking: ?%
Complete: ?%

Short Story Description
If you're a MegaTen freak just skip this part: you'll love the game anyway, no matter what I say about it.
You're a member of the Spookies, a group of hackers investigating on Algon Soft and its newest, suspicious product: the Paradigm X, a virtual world where its users' souls are mysteriously vanishing.
While doing your stuff, your best friend (or should I call her a girlfriend?), Hitomi, is attacked by a supernatural entity known as Nemissa. The two become a single being, and you are the only one who knows exactly what's wrong with her (everybody else will just pretend she's acting weird).
Will you be able to stop Algon Soft, restore your friend back to normal, and fight hordes of demons while you're at it? Oh yeah, and you also have a weird gun computer, a "GUMP", to kill things with through a nice yet weird summoning system.

Misc Information
This project started about 8 months ago, a few weeks before the Innocent Sin beta testing. It has been sitting there for most of those 8 months, until a few weeks ago, when Tom and I decided to give it the spotlight once again.
I don't have a status report yet, but the game feels a lot smaller than Innocent Sin in terms of text. On the other hand the hacking will probably be as annoying as IS's because of the idiocy of a Saturn game forced to work on the Playstation hardware making it still behave as if it was running on the Saturn. The fact that TOSE handled the porting makes it even worse, especially because TOSE is the company who converted the whole FF4-5-6-CT compilation to the Playstation (and later to the GBA/DS). From what I can see from their code, they sure didn't know shit about the target hardware and in fact the result is a terrible mess, harder to hack than the average game.

Oh, and the sequel to an obscure GBC game was recently fan translated as well.

lastbiblea.jpg

Should be worth checking out, for Gilder's sake if nothing else.

Until then, there's always the new school.

devilsummoner2_finalpackage_600.jpg

Out now, so go get your summon on, comrade.

Or hey, get it free if you have photoshop skills, see this thread.

It was mentioned in the older thread that the whole of the extensive Shin Megami Tensei catalogue can be difficult to follow for an outsider.

So, I figure they would appreciate a primer on the origins of SMT and its many, many spin-offs.

The Core Series (NES / SNES / Sega CD / GBA / PSX / PS2 / etc.)
smt1-mcd2.jpgsmt22.jpgsmt3ad2.jpg

[Shin Megami Tensei I, II, and III: Nocturne, respectively]

The introductory to SMT proper, both in the eastern and western markets, since Nocturne was the first exposure to the core series provided to US gamers.

Core SMT are basically traditional RPGs, with a heavy focus on dungeon crawling and interaction with demons to join them to your side. Character interaction takes a back seat, but there's usually some people to interact with amidst the demonic horde.

The first two games were ported to everything shy of the Atari 2600, but have yet to see an official release. They've been fan translated, so there's always that.

There hasn't been a new entry in the series since Nocturne, unless you count the 'expansion' which replaced Dante with Raidou Kuzunoha from Devil Summoner 3.

Persona (PS1 / PS2)
personaj2.jpgpersona2-is2.jpgpersona2ep-jp2.jpg
persona3a.jpgfesja.jpgpersona4a.jpg
Persona / Persona 2: Innocent Sin / Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Persona 3 / Persona 3 : FES / Persona 4

More story driven than the core series counterparts, each of the Persona games generally focus around a key cast of characters up against some sort of world-destroying force.

Instead of conversating with demons for recruitment, talking with demons in a Persona game is usually to summon more powerful Persona, or in the case of 3 and 4, making friends to strengthen their associated Arcana.

Devil Summoner (PS1 / Saturn / PS2)
devsum2.jpgsoulhack2.jpg
raidoua.jpgdevil_summoner_2_large.jpg
Devil Summoner / Soul Hackers
Raidou Kuzunoha VS The Soulless Army / Raidou Kuzunoha VS King Abaddon

Devil Summoner isn't all that different from core SMT in concept. Talking with demons and summoning them to fight for you. I haven't played much of the original two, but they're dungeon crawlers similar to SMT I & II, with similarly dark plots. III is more light-hearted, but IV seems to have darker things in store.

Spin-Offs

Digital Devil Saga (PS2)
dds-boxseta.jpgdds2a.jpg
(1 & 2, respectively)

Mix a traditional RPG with Hinduist themes and cannibalism gameplay, and you have DDS.

Similar to Persona in that there's no demonic recruitment, but a heavy focus on a core cast of characters.

Instead of summoning demons to fight for them, the DDS cast become them, and eat all the rest.

DemiKids / Devil Children (GBA)
demikidsdarka.jpgdemikidslighta.jpg
[Dark and Light Versions, respectively]

While SMT is commonly referred to as 'Pokemon from hell', DemiKids is the closest thing to it. Play as one of two junior Devil Summoners, and go recruit demons to fight for you through conversation and bribery. It's basically SMT lite, but that's hardly a bad thing.
(Who knows why we got this and not the SMT I & II ports.)

Revelations: The Demon Slayer / Last Bible (GBC)
revelationsa.jpglastbiblea.jpg

The only US SMT I've never played. I guess it's basically Shin Megami Tensei: Dragon Warrior.

revelations-1.png

It's supposedly very good.

Shin Megami Tensei Online: Imagine (PC DL)
smtonline.png

Takes place between the events of SMT I & II. Play as a Devil Buster, side with either the fine Messians or the cultish Gaians, join up with others along the way, kill and/or recruit demons, profit.

The thread for the PA Clan, BlackSun, is here. Be warned, only a handful of us still play it, but you're bound to find someone willing to help you out if you give it a shot.

It can be extremely tedious, but the atmosphere and story make up for it.

Etc.
(Other spinoffs never released in the US)

Shin Megami Tensei: If... (SNES / PS1)

smtif2.jpg

A side-story to core SMT which takes place in a school, more or less.

smtif-5.png

Shin Megami Tensei: NINE (Xbox)

smtninea.jpg

A mediocre attempt at making an SMT MMO(Imagine that) on the Xbox, which never panned out, so it's just a mediocre single player game.

smt9-1a.jpg

Jack Bros. (Virtual Boy)

jackbrosja.jpg

I believe this release predated Persona, hilariously enough.

Majin Tensei (SNES)

majintenseia.jpg

SMT + Fire Emblem = Profit?

majin-1.png

Could be worse.

There's no small amount of games for new MegaTenists to track down.

So until a new core SMT is announced for next-gen...

1235792844240.gif

Wait, wrong summoner.

lpt.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Revelations: The Demon Slayer was my first introduction to the series. I don't even know how it is related to the main series, but it is awesome.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I always forget Revelations. Fixed.

And responding to the last page of the last thread, The Answer is not that bad.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So what exactly is the difference between P3 and P3: FES besides The Answer

Rent on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Shin Megami Tensei FAQs

Q1. There's an epilogue to Persona 3 in the FES release, called The Answer. I really liked Persona 3! Should I play this?
    A1. No.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Rent wrote: »

-Elizabeth dates (this is the main selling point, they're that good) and more fetch quest requests
    -Aigis social link, and some existing social link locations get shuffled around to make maxing them all out possible
    -New events for maxed out links after the end(and maybe during the game?)
    -Assorted new events (walking Koromaru for example)
    -New Persona

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

You begin playing The Answer. It is a videogame about schoolgirls fighting..

Robots are involved....

It is painful to play.

YOUR DILIGENCE HAS INCREASED!

YOUR COURAGE HAS INCREASED!

rent wrote:

There is a healthy chunk of added content to the regular P3 game.
    New personas, new items, more balanced gameplay, new social link (which is not as bad as mumbly says but DOES feature seriously creepy shit at the end), extra content at the ending which is pretty good overall, some fanservice outfits, additional skits of generally high quality, a bit of extra music, and a more balanced social calendar that moves a few s-links around.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    No, it really really is.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Seriously cj, why don't you just buy it? I got my copy for 2 bucks, it can't be that expensive. Just buy it already so you can say you've played them all.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The FES edition has been my only experience with Persona 3, but judging from the change list it's a much better game. It has a few exceptionally D: and painful fanservice moments which apparently weren't in the normal game, but hey, Japan.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    No, it really really is.

Compared to P3? Pretty bad.

Compared to the worst the JRPG genre has to offer? Not even close.

I enjoyed it, but I recognize that there's alot of stupid shit in the game you need to wade through and not everyone is going to be as patient with the game as I was.

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What about the current MMO?

tehmarken on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    The FES edition has been my only experience with Persona 3, but judging from the change list it's a much better game. It has a few exceptionally D: and painful fanservice moments which apparently weren't in the normal game, but hey, Japan.

I can't tell you how thankful I was in the original that they never expanded on the whole "Yukari being a maid" thing. Then FES came along. I stopped playing before I got to that point but I've seen pictures. I will never understand this maid fetish that Japan is crazy about.

Gilder on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    tehmarken wrote: »
    Dull and bad.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2009
    No, it really really is.

Compared to P3? Pretty bad.

Compared to the worst the JRPG genre has to offer? Not even close.

I enjoyed it, but I recognize that there's alot of stupid shit in the game you need to wade through and not everyone is going to be as patient with the game as I was.

After sitting through the 30 minutes or so of unskippable dialogue, I was killed in what was supposed to be an unloseable battle.

I don't play the Answer.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Tedious but awesome.

There's a thread on it somewhere in the MMO section, I'll toss it in sooner or later.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Gilder wrote: »

Seriously cj, why don't you just buy it? I got my copy for 2 bucks, it can't be that expensive. Just buy it already so you can say you've played them all.

It's my favorite spin off.

It's another amazing game that would have never been given a chance in the US if not for Pokemon.

Think about all the titles that never would have come out here if not for the pokemon tailcoat riding. Monster Hunter, DQM, this, Demikids. That's a few thousand hours of my life I'd have back.

All this aside, get R:TDS. It's a fantastic game.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Dull and bad.

The music in Nakano is incredible and that alone makes the game worth it. The rest of the game is just your typical MMO, but it is free. For a free game it's not that bad. Just very grindy. Very.... very grindy.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Dull and bad.

The music in Nakano is incredible and that alone makes the game worth it. The rest of the game is just your typical MMO, but it is free. For a free game it's not that bad. Just very grindy. Very.... very grindy.

Like the rest of SMT, really. :P

It would be a lot less tedious if they weren't so many 'congratulations, now go gain 10 levels which will take you three weeks and we'll continue!' missions.

I also like the story, but like the game, it takes a while to get going.

The soundtrack on the whole is really good. Probably because most of it are remixes of old SMT tunes.

Take a Cerberus into the Cathedral in Nocturne and you'll hear Imagine's Cathedral music.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    With the opening of a new thread, I feel I should re-empasize my seething hatred of the skill inheritance system.

YggiDee on
  • Options
    HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    YggiDee wrote: »
    With the opening of a new thread, I feel I should re-empasize my seething hatred of the skill inheritance system.
    I have no problem with the random picking of skills, there just needs to be a re-roll button.

Hakunin on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hakunin wrote: »
    I have no problem with the random picking of skills, there just needs to be a re-roll button.
    No compromise, man. Persona 5 must allow selection of inherited skills - or an entirely new system - or I... will start an Internet petition.

When it gets ten signatures I will e-mail it to Atlus customer support. And they shall know my wrath.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    No compromise, man. Persona 5 must allow selection of inherited skills - or an entirely new system - or I... will start an Internet petition.

When it gets ten signatures I will e-mail it to Atlus customer support. And they shall know my wrath.

Because internet petitions never fail.

I'll go back to playing Shenmue 3 now.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009

You saw the maid outfits. You saw the creep robot buttons. You saw the "high cut armor."

You think once you unleash this power, this petition, you can control it? You can bottle it back up?

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You saw the maid outfits. You saw the creep robot buttons. You saw the "high cut armor."

You think once you unleash this power, this petition, you can control it? You can bottle it back up?
    Well, Persona 4 featured none of these, so yeah, I think there's hope.

Then again, P4 did have that gay sauna and strip club, so...

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Well, Persona 4 featured none of these, so yeah, I think there's hope.

Then again, P4 did have that gay sauna and strip club, so...

Gay Sauna was awesome. No, seriously, its probably the closest thing I've seen to a serious examination of sexuality in a mainstream videogame.

I'm not saying P5 is going to be bad, just warning against the evil of petitions. Fan-controlled P5 could be..... truly terrifying.
    Persona 5: Super Robot Fighting Maid Orgy Time
    SOUNDTRACK: 1--luv u luv u 2--luving ur luvy luv....

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    FUCK YES VICTORY i hate you velvet room

YggiDee on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yes, they do. The elemental weapons are affected by Elemental Boost, Elemental Amp and Weapon Master.

I'm pretty sure they all come with Elemental Boost on the weapon as a passive effect, so the only skills you need on a persona are Elemental Amp and Weapon Master. You can also get Elemental Amp from accessories.

Their damage potential is so absurd because Boost, Amp and Mastery stack.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yes, they do. The elemental weapons are affected by Elemental Boost, Elemental Amp and Weapon Master.

I'm pretty sure they all come with Elemental Boost on the weapon as a passive effect, so the only skills you need on a persona are Elemental Amp and Weapon Master. You can also get Elemental Amp from accessories.

Their damage potential is so absurd because Boost, Amp and Mastery stack.

AWESOME! The Sigfreid I've been swearing over now has Null Dark, Elec Amp, Heavy Master and Auto-Matarukaja. Things are gonna die.

YggiDee on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Everything about the skill inheritance system was complete bullshit in P4
    I don't want to spend goddamn 3 fucking hours to make one fucking Persona, Atlus
    I got shit to do

Rent on
  • Options
    JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Going to ask: Shouldn't the topic just be "Shin Megami Tensei"? Why Persona before it?

JONJONAUG on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    P4: I just got Yukiko as **MY GIRLFRIEND**.

Will I get in trouble if I ask Chie out too? Like are there special cut-scenes for that shit?

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Airan wrote: »

Will I get in trouble if I ask Chie out too? Like are there special cut-scenes for that shit?

IIRC, there's only one place in the game where there's any kind of confrontation, but I forget who it's between. Otherwise, no, you can get with every single girl without issue (although I suggest getting each one to rank 10 before starting another relationship)

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Why are you all such jerks to your e-girlfriends? :(

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Are there any instances where the friendship route is more entertaining than the dating route?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2009

There are specified dates where girls will interfere with each other, but they're always 100% on the same day from game to game and only happen if you accept dates that the girls themselves initiate by calling you or whatever.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

IIRC, there's only one place in the game where there's any kind of confrontation, but I forget who it's between. Otherwise, no, you can get with every single girl without issue (although I suggest getting each one to rank 10 before starting another relationship)

Uh huh. That's a shame. I was half expecting subsequent hang outs with my dates to be filled with conflict and strife once they find out my MC is a two-timing bastard but I guess that wouldn't be conducive to solving the murder mystery :P

Actually that's a thought, does spending time after maxing my S.Link offer any benefits?

Also I'm trying to rank up the Sports team and Cultural club links before tackling other ones since I've read that they're the ones with separate stories for each of the 4 choices, so I might as well get them maxed before starting a new game+... which then makes me think... doesn't the S.Link progress get carried over on new game+?

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    Fatal3RR0RFatal3RR0R Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Uh huh. That's a shame. I was half expecting subsequent hang outs with my dates to be filled with conflict and strife once they find out my MC is a two-timing bastard but I guess that wouldn't be conducive to solving the murder mystery :P

Actually that's a thought, does spending time after maxing my S.Link offer any benefits?

Also I'm trying to rank up the Sports team and Cultural club links before tackling other oneSpending time with your maxed girlfriends doesn't really offer any benefitss since I've read that they're the ones with separate stories for each of the 4 choices, so I might as well get them maxed before starting a new game+... which then makes me think... doesn't the S.Link progress get carried over on new game+?

Spending time with your maxed girlfriends doesn't really offer any benefits at all.

Also your social link progress doesn't carry over but you are still able to fuse the ultimate persona of a arcana without maxing it again.

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Why are you all such jerks to your e-girlfriends? :(

Protagonist Captain Superpimp arrives in Inaba, dates everyone, and leaves a year later.

Heartbeat--Heartbreak.

Dating multiple girls in P4, aside from leaving them heartbroken shells as their first serious romantic encounter ends up being with a vicious two timing bastard, is generally pretty safe. There are a handful of times where you can get a reversed link if you're seeing two girls (which generally loses you 1-2 days of link progress), and you can get some unique dialogue if you run into certain characters when exploring old dungeons and you happen to be dating both of them. No negative in-game effects for the unique dungeon dialogues, they're pretty rare and some of them are actually pretty entertaining.

PotatoNinja on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    To be fair, the main in P4 isn't sexing them up and then ditching them. Just dates and such. No permanent damage done. You have pretty much one chance at going any farther than that and you have to pick who. He's not like the main in P3.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    To be fair, the main in P4 isn't sexing them up and then ditching them. Just dates and such. No permanent damage done. You have pretty much one chance at going any farther than that and you have to pick who. He's not like the main in P3.

On top of that, P4 lays a pretty thick guilt trip on you for some of those s-links.

S-Link Spoilers:
    Rise:

"WAAAH WAAAH WAAH I'M SAD"

What do you do?
    >> Comfort Rise (starts relationship)

>> Go kill kitten (no relationship)

Lovers and Sun essentially dare you to keep your friendship platonic, and the only two love interests who don't confess their undying love for you are Ai and Naoto, at least depending on what you say to them.

PotatoNinja on